Worst job you've ever had?

edited February 2011 in General Chat
Whats the most 'orrible suck ass job you've ever had the misfortune of having, and why was it so?

Comments

• edited February 2011
    The one I have now is pretty hard. The first and only real job. It's a good job, but I'm beat, and when I posr pictures later you may seen how hard I've worked.
  • edited February 2011
    Only did drawings for people, and seriously drawing while people are watching easily disturbs me.
  • edited February 2011
    20 2-6yr olds for hours by myself was pretty bad...
  • edited February 2011
    My first and current job is at rolls royce in their jet engine repair buisiness, its no where near what you'd expect in terms of managment quality and standards, it sucks
  • edited February 2011
    Tillmonkey.... :'(
  • edited February 2011
    Tillmonkey.... :'(

Surely its a fairly cushy job, sitting down, saying hello to customers and swiping stuff across a scanner?
  • edited February 2011
    CEO of IBM.

:P
  • edited February 2011
    Substitute teaching in public Junior High School. You think your job sucks? You have *no idea* :p.
  • edited February 2011
    I was the President of the United States before Obama. Bush was just an actor hired to stand in for me in the public eye. I apologize for NOTHING.
  • edited February 2011
    I was the President of the United States before Obama. Bush was just an actor hired to stand in for me in the public eye. I apologize for NOTHING.

I thought you were dead Hitler?
  • edited February 2011
    I've had pretty much a shed load of different jobs. Gas station attendant (hell on earth), night security for a boarding house with ex cons, people on release from mental institutions etc, Mcdonalds (triple hell on earth lol), cant really remember the worst job ive had at the moment, it'll come to me.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2011
    It's less the actual job, it's more the people that make a job good or bad. I've been working night shifts (well, half-night shifts actually) to re-stack the shelves of a large shopping centre. That was ugly and physically demanding, but even though the tone was very rough, the people were all right to work with and even the pay was OK. That wasn't the worst, actually (even though I don't want to do it again, EVAR).

Worst place I've been was an internship in a shitty little publishing house. No pay, and the people desperately kept their distance, and also tried to vehemently establish distance between workmates. First names were an absolute no-no, everyone kept looking at you like you killed someone if you made a mistake, which kept me spiralling into one mistake after another. I hated that. The work was mind-numbing to say the least ("We need 1.200 certain addresses to be individually copied out of the internet. Go."). Every single move or remark you made was interpreted as impertinent, sassy, offensive, or otherwise completely inappropriate. My actual boss there, I saw three times. Seems like he spends his life hiding behind someone else. There was absolutely no communication going on between people. It was actually three weeks before they even told me they hated the coffee I bought (Yes, that was another thing I did. Heroic stuff!). I was treated with so much disdain, I've never experienced the like in my life.

When I started to actually apply for real jobs, one of the things I kept repeating in job interviews was: "I need a strong team". I got one now, and I really love my co-workers - let's see how long it will still last.
  • edited February 2011
    GeorgeC wrote: »
    Surely its a fairly cushy job, sitting down, saying hello to customers and swiping stuff across a scanner?

Oh yeah, and the poor pay, the boring work, the lack of long-term prospects and the prickish managers (who treat students badly mostly because they envy them (the people who make managers in supermarkets usually work there a long time, don't have very good education, and just love to stab people in the back)).
  • edited February 2011
    FFFFFF I forget the cash registers across the the pond get to sit down.
  • edited February 2011
    They make you yanks stand? Why?
  • edited February 2011
    If its a supermarket they usually have you sitting down, if it's a smaller shop you rarely get to sit down at the till
  • edited February 2011
    Hmm, only my paper round comes to mind, and I totally hated it. Up early in the mornings on my weekend, and I was delivering to apartments, I have no number on how many times I walked up and down those stairs...
  • edited February 2011
    I don't have many to choose from as I've not had many jobs but it is between the year I worked as a data entry clerk, which basically involved putting the details of a lot of files into a new database at a local solicitor, or the 6 months as a turnstile operator for my local football club.

The turnstile operator job at least had the perk of free admittance to the football matches I worked at once my job had finished for that day. So that sort of balances out the cold nights, and that one day I forgot my normal glasses (just had my sunglasses - it was sunny one day!) and so I could either stick with blurry vision or look like an idiot (due to wearing sunglasses when sort of indoors) and have good but dark vision.

So with that in mind I have to go with the data entry job as being my worst one as it was mind numbingly boring and I was never comfortable working there, I never fit in with the rest of office staff and there were some real office bitches there too.
  • edited February 2011
    JedExodus wrote: »
    They make you yanks stand? Why?
    No clue. The worst part about running the register is that you have to stand behind the thing for hours on end. Otherwise, I never really minded retail work. There was the odd bad customer and all that, but on the whole I've never had a retail job where the worst part about it wasn't that I inexplicably didn't get a chair. =P
  • edited February 2011
    I spent about six years working in a restaurant kitchen, starting in high school and all the way through to post-graduation from university. For those six years I worked just about every weekend, scrubbing pans, showing grown men how to remove S-bends from sinks, getting chemical burns, getting actual burns, peeling bags of vegetables that weighed more than I did and getting bitten by dead squid. (well okay, that only happened once) Good times. But it paid the rent, and a lot of the guys I worked with were hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.