No New Monkey Island Games?

2»

Comments

• edited February 2011
    It would be nice if someone from TTG could at least say... "Hey we tried, but could not get the license again" ....

Something.... any kind of acknowledgment...
  • edited February 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    Well, BttF has taken over ToMI as Telltale's most successful game, and it's only up to the second episode.

Telltale haven't completely abandoned classic adventure game franchises yet though, what with King's Quest in the works. So there is still hope.

Spoiler Alert: With each new Season, it's been the most profitable according to Press Releases, so moot point.
  • edited February 2011
    Did you see the ending where the now supposedly evil Voodoo Lady has LeChuck's remains, has bargained with Morgan LeFlay and pretty much straight-out says there's a big event coming? I don't really know how that can be interpreted as something other than an open ending.

Agree! We still don't know anything about the real Voodoo Lady's plans and what does it has to do with LeChuck, Guybrush, the Guybrush's Hand and Morgan LeFlay.

Damn! It was one of the most important revolution in the MI story and we don't know anything about it, because Episodes 4 and 5 barely began to introduce it! And the only reason for opening such an important plotline without closing it is because it was meant to be continued in a SEQUEL!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    It would be nice if someone from TTG could at least say... "Hey we tried, but could not get the license again" ....

Something.... any kind of acknowledgment...

The fact no one has may mean they havnt there just working on other products first
  • edited February 2011
    I would watch July for an announcement
  • edited February 2011
    I waited last time and I will wait again. I want it yesterday:)
  • edited February 2011
    Did you see the ending where the now supposedly evil Voodoo Lady has LeChuck's remains, has bargained with Morgan LeFlay and pretty much straight-out says there's a big event coming? I don't really know how that can be interpreted as something other than an open ending.
    Yeah.

I can live without knowing what happened there. It's an open ending but it doesn't leave the game that happened before unsatisfying. That's still resolved. The post game ending is like a hint for FUTURE events possibly, not undermining current ones.
  • edited February 2011
    Maybe TOMI2 gets a "special announcement" independent from all the others? :D

But seriously, as much as I want the next season, I think it'd happen too soon if it was released this summer. TOMI1 is still too "present" for me.
  • edited February 2011
    A hint for future events, starting from important events that we see in this game. So, we have a "main" plotline that's ended and closed (the Pox story), and a "secondary", but much more important plotline, because involves all the Monkey Island saga, (the Voodoo Lady's Plans) that is totally open. If you think that Tales is only the Pox and the Esponja stories you're totally wrong...because the Pox and the Esponja stories are obviously told as little elements of a much bigger story that has not been told yet.
  • edited February 2011
    Well part of monkey island is the series always being open and partially unexplained. The secret will never be revealed.

Part of being a fan of the series really.

Like I said I'll be the first in line but I don't want TOMI 2. I want a new game that feels fresh.
  • edited February 2011
    Well part of monkey island is the series always being open and partially unexplained. The secret will never be revealed.

One secret is enough. This is "Monkey Island", not "Lost" XD
  • edited February 2011
    I want a sequel as soon as TOMI is ported to xbox360 and ipad :P
  • edited February 2011
    I wouldn't mind seeing another company getting the chance to develop a new Monkey Island game. Telltale had their go at it and they did a fine job, but I'd like to see someone else take a crack at it. It wouldn't have to be a sequel to ToMI. I pretty much consider it to be a stand-alone game, seperate from the rest of the series, anyway.
  • edited February 2011
    Telltale is the only non-company that makes adventure games. Who else would take on the series?

I think we need to be going after Lucasarts for remakes (or ports) of CoMI and EfMI so the whole series would be available to everyone (like me).

New Monkey Island games don't come out very often. As much as I want one, I think more time should be given if we don't want the series to become tiresome.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, disappointed that there will not be new Monkey Island Games in the next two years.

TTG, if you wanted to do a game without being sure to be able to make a sequel, you should'nt end it with an open ending.

After i finished playing Back to The Future I seriously doubt I'll be back here soon :mad:

I haven't read the news where this is written, where?

Will they start developing the game two years from now, or are they aiming to release it in two years from now?
  • edited February 2011
    Will they start developing the game two years from now, or are they aiming to release it in two years from now?

It is just supposed.
  • edited February 2011
    One secret is enough. This is "Monkey Island", not "Lost" XD

...or is it?
    :cool:
  • edited February 2011
    PariahKing wrote: »

Part of being a fan of the series really.

Like I said I'll be the first in line but I don't want TOMI 2. I want a new game that feels fresh.

I always thought the secret of Monkey Island was the hell portal under the monkey head in the first game, I thought that was the big reveal of the game. I may be wrong, but I don't believe for a second that there's some huge secret that they've just never revealed about the game, I think that's fan-grasping. I can't really think of anything else in the games that isn't explained or was left purposely open-ended with no intention of explaining it later.
  • edited February 2011
    The end of Monkey Island 2 was very open ended, and Curse didn't really close the gaps other than raise more questions.
  • edited February 2011
    Well, I think the game itself was brilliant. I played TOMI and then went back to buy every single installment before it.
    I'm also recommending it to all of my friends. It really did have a twisty (but not nauseating) storyline, and the jokes and characters were hilarious. I think, if everyone who owns TOMI or another installment passed it off to a friend and told them to do the same, big things would happen. It just needs more... what's the word? Advertising? Consuming? I'm not sure. I first heard of it on Youtube, actually, in the "I wonder what happens in..." Series. :) One video and I've bought everything!
  • edited February 2011
    Do you know what annoys me?
    When you write a really long response and it doesn't post and all you're left with is emptiness and apathy.

Well to summarise my "un-posted" response.

Earl Boen needs to retire, which is good for the franchise if it too is ending. It means we're not going to get really grating voice-actors.

Secondly, the open-ended conclusion I believe is satisfactory as a series finale, more questions are better than corny explanations that seek to culminate a series. Also open-endings don't discount the ability of a second season.

Thirdly, I believe we need a bit of time, and we're all used to waiting for new Monkey Island games. We're very patient. But with time we are more certain to have better graphics and better character models which I think have become a hallmark of the series. I personally love coming back to the franchise knowing that Guybrush will look somewhat different than before, be that cosmetically or stylistically.

I'd certainly like to see an MI game in the future look more like the E3 LeChuck's Revenge:SE trailer. That blew my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzs8_PilN54
    Alas I had some really cool points but lesson learnt (the hundredth time now), I must definitely type everything in MS Word then copy/paste here. Stupid internet >_<
  • edited February 2011
    All that can happen now if they would invest in current technology
  • edited March 2011
    I saw the ending as more of a cliffhanger than an 'open ending'.

I also don't see why so many people are talking like we know there are going to be no more games. There was a two and a half year gap between Sam & Max Seasons 2 & 3 and it hasn't even been two years since TOMI was released. Telltale have a lot of stuff on at the moment and I'm sure they'll get back to Monkey Island eventually.
  • edited March 2011
    I WANT A NEW GAME SO BAD!!! Or at least a HD release of Curse and Escape for modern PC and PS3.

If I could pick any project to get green-lit those would be it.
  • edited March 2011
    Do you know what annoys me?
    When you write a really long response and it doesn't post and all you're left with is emptiness and apathy.

Well to summarise my "un-posted" response.

That happens to me quite often. I usually just sit there paralyzed for about ten seconds, sigh, and then get angry at myself for not copying the text while I had the chance.
  • edited March 2011
    Hmm...TellTale is busy working on Back To The Future , Jurassic Park , King's Quest and other games, I think we're not gonna see a new Monkey Island game anytime soon. Maybe in 2012? :)
  • edited March 2011
    I'd certainly like to see an MI game in the future look more like the E3 LeChuck's Revenge:SE trailer. That blew my mind.

Totally agree! That would be awesome :D
  • edited March 2011
    I don't have any inside information, but I'm sure there will be another Monkey Island game - some day, either by TTG's hand, LucasArts' or someone else. People, don't worry, just be patient, and don't let the fan community die - because the community is what's brought the franchise back from the dead at least two times now (CMI + Tales/remakes).

A second series of Tales would be very nice, if not, I hope the next entry in the franchise will be something of a reboot, actually. As a lot of fans, I still hope to see Ron Gilberts take on the story 20 years after he left it back at Lucas. The episodic format worked pretty well for MI, though. I find that in becoming an adult, I sadly no longer have the attention span or the time to get consumed by a huge adventure game - a monthly, bitesize chunk of adventure was perfect for me.
  • edited March 2011
    bump!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.