No New Monkey Island Games?

I'm really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, disappointed that there will not be new Monkey Island Games in the next two years.

TTG, if you wanted to do a game without being sure to be able to make a sequel, you should'nt end it with an open ending.

After i finished playing Back to The Future I seriously doubt I'll be back here soon :mad:

Comments

• edited February 2011
    After TMI came out 9 years after EMI Iv lered not to give up hope.
  • edited February 2011
    Q_Q

Well, they couldn't get LucasArts' agreement this time around I guess. It happens. I believe the new Monkey Island can be done by some other company, too. My bucks are on Double Fine. I mean, you don't have to be a jerk about it now. They would do it if they could. They know they can sell it like selling shaving cream to a colony of bigfoots.
  • edited February 2011
    alright Lucas arts please don't disappoint us. this is the perfect opportunity to turn around your reputation with all your old fans. Make the new monkey island game and all is forgiven,
  • edited February 2011
    Really you were all expecting a new Monkey game??
    I thought it was just wishfull thinking, i mean, we all want it although we all know it was pretty imposible.

It has been explained several times that if a new game should happen, the first move must be made by LucasArts. And i think we all know by now that things at LucasArts are not very Monkey friendly right now.

So how come everybody is surprised now?
  • edited February 2011
    Ignatius wrote: »
    I thought it was just wishfull thinking, i mean, we all want it although we all know it was pretty imposible.

It has been explained several times that if a new game should happen, the first move must be made by LucasArts. And i think we all know by now that things at LucasArts are not very Monkey friendly right now.

You have never tried hoping against hope?
  • edited February 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    Q_Q

Well, they couldn't get LucasArts' agreement this time around I guess. It happens. I believe the new Monkey Island can be done by some other company, too. My bucks are on Double Fine. I mean, you don't have to be a jerk about it now. They would do it if they could. They know they can sell it like selling shaving cream to a colony of bigfoots.

Are you sure that's the reason?

check out this: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30919

I'm afraid it's just a matter of merchandising.Maybe MI didn't sell enough after all.

Or producing the game was too expensive.

They're making a new puzzle agent, wich I barely believe could have been more successful than TOMI.. but surely more cheap to produce.

Anyway I agree with Voodoomaster. I'm very dissapointed
  • edited February 2011
    Ignatius wrote: »

But everybody is always money frendly

If the game sells, that's no such thing as "freindship" that can stop a businessman today

As I said, two options: the game didn't sell well after all, or producing it was too expensive for TT because of royalty

third option: wasn't enough convenient for LucasA
  • edited February 2011
    makes me want to barf....
  • edited February 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    After TMI came out 9 years after EMI Iv lered not to give up hope.

that's all we've been left with
  • edited February 2011
    Honestly we were lucky we got anything at all, let alone a sequel and two remakes.

The series ended on a good note, we don't really need a sequel. If one happens I'll be the first in line to buy it but I'm not worried about it.
  • edited February 2011
    we don't really need a sequel

Ehm...helloo??? Open ending? Do you know what's an "Open ending"? It's something made for a game that NEEDS A SEQUEL!!!
  • edited February 2011
    Ehm...helloo??? Open ending? Do you know what's an "Open ending"? It's something made for a game that NEEDS A SEQUEL!!!
    We have a general explanation for most everything that happened in the story. It doesn't feel incomplete or empty. It didn't end on a sour note like EMI.

The idea that more things happen in the universe and not all loose ends are tied up is acceptable.
  • edited February 2011
    PariahKing wrote: »
    we don't really need a sequel

speak for yourself and let other people to decide what they need and what they don't :D
  • edited February 2011
    The idea that more things happen in the universe and not all loose ends are tied up is acceptable.

Acceptable if we can have a sequel
  • edited February 2011
    Monkey Island doesn't need to become the Call of Duty of adventure games.

If there's a good game to be made, go for it. Otherwise make something new - forcing it is pointless.
  • edited February 2011
    Acceptable if we can have a sequel

let's take BTTF movie as an example: we can accept te episode 3 ending, altough it's may look still open (in fact TT games can start from there) but we would never have accepted if it would have all been finished with episode 2

TOMI' ending does't feel like third BTTF movie, but more like the second one
  • edited February 2011
    I think there are plenty of good stories left to explore so I do not think it would be forced.... I am also confident in the team at TTG NOW.... why wait for them all to leave or work for other companies.
  • edited February 2011
    Monkey Island doesn't need to become the Call of Duty of adventure games.

picard-facepalm.jpg
  • edited February 2011
    I have a different opinion than you, so I'm stupid.

Glad to understand that's how it goes.
  • edited February 2011
    I have a different opinion than you, so I'm stupid.

Glad to understand that's how it goes.

never heard about irony?

seriously, I mean no offence

but I can't figure out how TOMI and COD could be named toghether in the same statement

that's no reason to think that MI is destined to be a series of games all equal to each other
  • edited February 2011
    The point was simply making a sequel for the point of making a sequel. It's not a perfect comparison, no, but I think it gets the general idea.

I would be disappointed with a sequel that recycled all the old models, refeatured the forest and brought back old characters from TOMI to save modelling time, etc.

Basically I'd be afraid a TOMI2 would be like a rehash instead of something new.
  • edited February 2011
    The point was simply making a sequel for the point of making a sequel. It's not a perfect comparison, no, but I think it gets the general idea.

I would be disappointed with a sequel that recycled all the old models, refeatured the forest and brought back old characters from TOMI to save modelling time, etc.

Basically I'd be afraid a TOMI2 would be like a rehash instead of something new.

that makes sense

but there's no need to be worried about it before it happens

beyond that, as VoodooM said, the first season was clearly made to be continued

guess they had already something in mind.. and they proved to be damn good in sequels

in fact, I think S&M third season is the best of them all!

that's the reason I'm not convinced about the decision of not producing another MI
  • edited February 2011
    Definitely disappointed at no new Monkey Island. There were some cool announcements in there though so I'm not too disappointed, but for the first time I'm really starting to wonder if Telltale really are going to get another shot at Monkey Island.

I don't see why LucasArts would give the licence to Double Fine if they aren't going to give it back to Telltale, who have proven they can make a profit from it. I fear if we are going to see Monkey Island in the future it will probably be made by LucasArts in-house, and that is very worrying :(
  • edited February 2011
    I think with Ron and Tim at Double Fine they could make a pretty good MI game....
    But my fear is that it wouldnt continue where ToMI left off.... so no Winslow and no Morgan... another bad thing is that Double Fine would probably make it shorter and make it a PSN and or XBOX download title only.... So having a nice boxed version to put next to the rest would be out the window.
  • edited February 2011
    Why does everyone think it's two years? The current announced titles carries into Summer 12.
  • edited February 2011
    I think its a guess form how long it takes for seasons to come out in the past.
  • edited February 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I think its a guess form how long it takes for seasons to come out in the past.

We have Quarters for every Titles except Kings Quest, which I guess will run for last few months of Walking Dead and first few of Fables.
  • edited February 2011
    I think with Ron and Tim at Double Fine they could make a pretty good MI game....
    But my fear is that it wouldnt continue where ToMI left off.... so no Winslow and no Morgan...
    Why not? They're not Telltale's own characters, they're franchise's characters who ARE added by Telltale. So for the continuty's sake, they have to do it. Unless Ron decides to make Monkey Island 3, which is even more unlikely.
    another bad thing is that Double Fine would probably make it shorter and make it a PSN and or XBOX download title only.... So having a nice boxed version to put next to the rest would be out the window

Thaaat is a risk, yes. I have no idea why they love leaving out PC so passionately....
  • edited February 2011
    I think the TTG Team should let us know what's about THEIR plans for MI!?!
    It was a good selling franchises with a perfect ending for a sequel, so why no
    Announcement? Is it Lucas Arts? Or is it only not the time right now? :confused:
  • edited February 2011
    Well, BttF has taken over ToMI as Telltale's most successful game, and it's only up to the second episode.

Telltale haven't completely abandoned classic adventure game franchises yet though, what with King's Quest in the works. So there is still hope.
  • edited February 2011
    Hey people, calm down. I think that if it's possible Telltale will do it.
    I think that the relationship between Lucasarts and Telltale changed after the new president came up.
    Maybe the previous president granted and assured for another season -that's why the open ending - but new management screwed up everything and don't let them do another one.
    I think that if TT can, they will do it.
    And, after all, these 5 games are not the Telltale's last 5 games they will make.
  • edited February 2011
    with a perfect ending for a sequel

Yes, that's what I think, too.

There are still too many questions without an answer, and I'm afraid that if someone else continues the game, he would not respect the continuity

I'm disappointed that there not will be MI Games in the next two years, but i would be really angry if there not will be TellTale MI Games for more
  • edited February 2011
    I was hoping for a series 2, but never seriously expected it to be one of the announcements. :(
  • edited February 2011
    Are there any actual Statements from Lucas Arts
    about the Future of MI and other classical Adventures?
  • edited February 2011
    frankly speaking... we need for TOMI2
    why? because we are nerds. STOP.

Times ago Lucasarts told that several licenses came to home. I was afraid MI was one of them... :( seems that it happens... but they can't interrupt a story that needs for a final chapter (at least) to be concluded...
  • edited February 2011
    I'd like just to hear if TOMI2 is still a possibility for Telltale or not. Can we still hope or not?

That's the thing that makes me worry, we don't know if they're waiting another year for the sequel or Lucasarts will not give TT the license again...
  • edited February 2011
    I'm too disappointed that there isn't a new Monkey Island between the new projects.
    I don't know whose fault it is, Telltale or Lucas, but TOMI needs a sequel, it CAN'T finish like that.
    I hope like Mightypirate to know if we can still hope for the future, but right now my disappointment is so huge that if also I could have interest in other projects, I have lost it.
  • edited February 2011
    I confide in Telltale's good faith. But there's a thing which I must criticize. Onesty. Why there's no an official statement about "No Monkey Island Games"?. It is obvious that at least 80% of the fans who were waiting for this misterious announcement were expected a sequel of TOMI. Now, in the past there have been numerous occasions to go against to LucasArts, but at least, for those who remember the sad annoucements early 2000, the much mocked Mike Nelson and Jim Ward did know to us almost everything in their situation of the company. Here, after twenty messages of disappointment (well, it was obvious!), the message of Alan Johnson aroused in me a small amount of nervousness:
    Originally Posted by Alan Johnson
    SOOOO, what do you guys think of the rest of our announcements?
    Ok. it's right to focus on new projects, but I feel mocked.
    Let's say that now I would an hypocrite if I'll go against the TellTale, but in another sense, I think is right and proper to inform what are the gaps that prevent the production of a new Monkey Island (or at least the "Reprise" of any game Lucas previously expected). A press release would be right, in short, what kind of repercussions might occur with an explanation?
  • edited February 2011
    So where are you TTG-Team here in the Forum,
    PLEASE, tell us what`s the current status about a ToMI sequel :confused:
  • edited February 2011
    We have a general explanation for most everything that happened in the story. It doesn't feel incomplete or empty. It didn't end on a sour note like EMI.

Did you see the ending where the now supposedly evil Voodoo Lady has LeChuck's remains, has bargained with Morgan LeFlay and pretty much straight-out says there's a big event coming? I don't really know how that can be interpreted as something other than an open ending.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.