when did Einstein come from?

Something that I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around in these epsidoes is Einsteins timeline.

When einstein shows up at the beginning of episode 1, when does he come from? It can't be a later time travel Doc and marty make as the timeline does not work that way. If it is after doc is initially killed, how did he get ednas shoe? It doesnt seem like the shoe has been stolen yet from what we see.

Should there have been 2 einsteins in hill valley while marty was breaking doc out of jail?

Also why on earth did they leave einstein there? When they first leave 1931 (not realizing they are returning to a compromosed timeline), the plan is for doc and marty to return to 1986 and doc to iron out his estate. But einstein was with 1931 doc and not like 1986 doc can go back and pick him up from his younger self, he'd need marty to do that anyways so why did they bother leaving einstein there where a) it would mean they'd have to make another time travel b) they'd be putting einstein in danger leaving him in a foreign time period and c) potentially changing the timeline if einstein being with young doc somehow created a ripple effect

Comments

• edited February 2011
    I am seriously hoping that the Einstein and the Time Traveling Shoe will be dealt with later. Isn't it an adventure game factoid that when a subject is adressed by the characters more than once, it is going to play out in the plot later? Anyway, I think the Timeline B of 1931 will be choatic. 1986 Doc could have had Einstein with him around the time the first speakeasy blew. If Edna was the culprit and Doc was the only witness, the brick incident could of not been an "accident." If so, then Einstein attacked Edna like a guard dog, grabbed her shoe in the hassle, and then got scared by the fire and ran to the DeLorean. The retrieval feature activated and Einstein and the shoe were sent to 1986. All this could be before Doc's death in Timeline B.

Marty's mission was to break 1986 Doc out of jail with the rocket drill of 1931 Doc. Old Doc was sprung from jail by Kid and the plan changed. The hectic rescue happened (distraction #1) and then Marty fading away (distraction #2). The new mission was to save Arthur from being offed by Kid's gang. This was distraction #3. Three crazy distractions are going to make you forget simple things like retrieving your dog. So, Einstein was left alone in 1931 and sort of adopted by 1931 Doc.

Einstein was Emmett's lab rat and I can see how this could effect Emmett's timeline. For example, it could speed up the pace of Emmett's inventions but it wasn't addressed as a threat in the game. Doc didn't seem worried. At the end of the episode, they were calm and collected enough to remember to take Einstein with them. Yeah, it was dangerous to leave him there, but I doubt it was a factor in the Citizen Brown 1986. Or maybe...
  • edited February 2011
    Julianne wrote: »
    I am seriously hoping that the Einstein and the Time Traveling Shoe will be dealt with later. Isn't it an adventure game factoid that when a subject is adressed by the characters more than once, it is going to play out in the plot later? Anyway, I think the Timeline B of 1931 will be choatic. 1986 Doc could have had Einstein with him around the time the first speakeasy blew. If Edna was the culprit and Doc was the only witness, the brick incident could of not been an "accident." If so, then Einstein attacked Edna like a guard dog, grabbed her shoe in the hassle, and then got scared by the fire and ran to the DeLorean. The retrieval feature activated and Einstein and the shoe were sent to 1986. All this could be before Doc's death in Timeline B.

Marty's mission was to break 1986 Doc out of jail with the rocket drill of 1931 Doc. Old Doc was sprung from jail by Kid and the plan changed. The hectic rescue happened (distraction #1) and then Marty fading away (distraction #2). The new mission was to save Arthur from being offed by Kid's gang. This was distraction #3. Three crazy distractions are going to make you forget simple things like retrieving your dog. So, Einstein was left alone in 1931 and sort of adopted by 1931 Doc.

Einstein was Emmett's lab rat and I can see how this could effect Emmett's timeline. For example, it could speed up the pace of Emmett's inventions but it wasn't addressed as a threat in the game. Doc didn't seem worried. At the end of the episode, they were calm and collected enough to remember to take Einstein with them. Yeah, it was dangerous to leave him there, but I doubt it was a factor in the Citizen Brown 1986. Or maybe...

They took Einstein away from Doc after he had him for 3 months, that must have really tore him.
  • edited February 2011
    When einstein shows up at the beginning of episode 1, when does he come from?
    When a mommy doggy and a daddy doggy love each other VERY MUCH...
  • edited February 2011
    Einstein, the shoe, and the car came to 1986 from 1931 when the failsafe thing kicked in a week after Doc was killed. I think that technically does mean that the failsafe DeLorean is still there, out of sight somewhere, during episode 1, and for several days afterwards. So we know for sure that in the timeline where Doc was killed, Einstein attacked Enda and got her show at some point during that week. It's possible but not strictly necessary that this encounter also happened in the new timeline, after Marty and Doc left 1931 (there would have been two Einsteins around during that week, but as long as they didn't show up at the same place then nobody would have thought much of it, I suppose).

Hmm.
  • edited February 2011

HAHAHAHAHHAahahahaha!
    I really didn't expect THIS explanation. Classic. :D
  • edited February 2011

WHEN does he come from. Not WHERE, WHEN.
  • LuigiHann wrote: »
    Einstein, the shoe, and the car came to 1986 from 1931 when the failsafe thing kicked in a week after Doc was killed. I think that technically does mean that the failsafe DeLorean is still there, out of sight somewhere, during episode 1, and for several days afterwards. So we know for sure that in the timeline where Doc was killed, Einstein attacked Enda and got her show at some point during that week. It's possible but not strictly necessary that this encounter also happened in the new timeline, after Marty and Doc left 1931 (there would have been two Einsteins around during that week, but as long as they didn't show up at the same place then nobody would have thought much of it, I suppose).

Hmm.

Do we actually know the failsafe happened a week later? I dont recall it being discussed that much in detail. Also if there's 2 einsteins even if they are in the same place, it's not a big deal. Einstein is a fairly common dog so it wouldn't be that odd to see although better hope the two einsteins dont fight!

Depending on how the speak easy arsonist plot plays out, it is also possible that einstein had stolen the shoe prior to doc's arrest and marty showing up. Edna doesn't tell marty that Einstein stole her shoe but if she is the arsonist (or implicated it) and this is how/why Einy stole it then it does make sense she would not tell him.

And having seen the episode a second time since then, Doc and Marty remark at the end how they remembered einstein so i will accept the fact they were simply caught in the moment and forgot the dog.
  • edited February 2011
    WHEN does he come from. Not WHERE, WHEN.
    Gestation period for dogs is about nine weeks.
  • edited February 2011
    Yeah I could be off about the timeframe
  • edited February 2011
    Posting from another thread as it is also relevant here:

When Marty arrives in 1931, Einstein paws at Edna and she says, "That mangy dog assaulted me once before" before going into the store, griping and whining about how something's a law and we should look it up. It can be inferred that when Doc was thrown in jail, Einstein then assaulted Edna, took the shoe, and went back to the DeLorean. That way, if Doc was fine, he was sitting there ready to go home. If he wasn't, he would arrive in 1986 to find Marty.
  • edited February 2011
    Posting from another thread as it is also relevant here:

When Marty arrives in 1931, Einstein paws at Edna and she says, "That mangy dog assaulted me once before" before going into the store, griping and whining about how something's a law and we should look it up. It can be inferred that when Doc was thrown in jail, Einstein then assaulted Edna, took the shoe, and went back to the DeLorean. That way, if Doc was fine, he was sitting there ready to go home. If he wasn't, he would arrive in 1986 to find Marty.

I agree. I think Einstein went to go wait in the hidden past DeLorean, the one that Doc used to get to 1931 not the future present one that Marty used to return Einstein to 1931, and so this theory can explain away where Einstein was. As for where the past Doc's Delorean is hidden and just how he believes it would not be found in any of the split timelines beats me. Time travel is a head ache. I'm not surprised you've found possible holes in TellTale's story. Otherwise, I definitely believe that Einie stole Edna's shoe prior to Marty returning to 1931.

Here's another theory: what if Enie didn't go back with Doc? What if Doc assumes Einie came there with Marty and doesn't question how or when Marty came to collect Einie? I'm still thinking the intro tutorial of Episode 1 ties in somewhere and Einie popped into the time stream some time he wasn't supposed to during the movie's testing of the Delorean and possibly returned to that point in time by this game's end to avoid the paradox/collapsing of the space-time continuum as seen in Marty's dream. But now I'm just grasping at air here. Obviously Einie got Edna's shoe, so he was obviously in that time period at some point. Eh, time travel and plot holes! What you going to do?
  • edited February 2011
    I think what we've heard from Edna, saying "that dog has assaulted me before" in episode 1, will probably be the explanation here. 1986 Edna didn't even really realize it was missing anyway. Maybe she's just senile but who knows?
  • zounds! wrote: »
    I think what we've heard from Edna, saying "that dog has assaulted me before" in episode 1, will probably be the explanation here. 1986 Edna didn't even really realize it was missing anyway. Maybe she's just senile but who knows?

Yes she did, she even kept the other shoe and puts them together.

And yes I buy into the recent point brought up; einy and edna obviously had a run in prior to marty arriving in 1931.
  • edited February 2011
    Yes she did, she even kept the other shoe and puts them together.

I know, but she was all like "oh, there's that shoe..." she didn't seem to notice or care that it was a brand new shoe, she just puts it with the other one because, I think she just assumed she misplaced it somewhere.
  • edited February 2011
    He came from Uranus from the year 3025, and is infact an alien disguised as a dog that invented the time machine for doc while he was asleep in 1985.
  • edited February 2011
    He came from Uranus from the year 3025, and is infact an alien disguised as a dog that invented the time machine for doc while he was asleep in 1985.

close
  • edited March 2011
    zounds! wrote: »
    close

Yes I know. Thats why Doc named his dog Einstein...because his dog was smarter than him and was the "first" time traveler.
  • edited March 2011
    Gestation period for dogs is about nine weeks.

Is it? I was gonna look it up to help this guy answer his question but apparently (and wierdly) some people know that off of the top of thier head! :p
  • edited March 2011
    zounds! wrote: »

I just want to know why she kept that shoe. She must have placed some special importance on the event that caused her to miss her other shoe.
  • edited March 2011
    The last time entered can be seen (albiet barely, twice!) when you go to 1931 (Only after you have the date from Mrs. Strickland.)

The Delorean doesn't go back to Marty until the 16th of the month specified in 1931, 2 days after Doc was killed.
  • edited March 2011
    I do wanna know this... Doc of the 30s.. Accepts "Einstein" as the Dogs name. Now in the 50s he was named Copernicus. Im sure Doc isnt that stupid if you altered the 30s timeline.. that he mustve known in the 50s the Dogs name. (Also that its the same dog)

Would be a nice touch in the Episodes if they maybe show the origin of Einstein and how he became Docs dog to which we know as a key element in the game. =) Would be a nice wrap up.
  • Mysticales wrote: »
    I do wanna know this... Doc of the 30s.. Accepts "Einstein" as the Dogs name. Now in the 50s he was named Copernicus. Im sure Doc isnt that stupid if you altered the 30s timeline.. that he mustve known in the 50s the Dogs name. (Also that its the same dog)

Would be a nice touch in the Episodes if they maybe show the origin of Einstein and how he became Docs dog to which we know as a key element in the game. =) Would be a nice wrap up.

Are einstein and copernicus the same dog? I know in part III at the beginning, marty says to 1955 "Einstein, its what you call your doc in 1985" so I thought this COULD imply it's the same dog and he changed its name but still a dog living that long?

I think it's similar to Marty's name; he would have been named that anyhow but his parents met him in the past, liked the name and essentially named him after himself. So likewise emmet liked the dog einstein and eventually named his own einstiein.

Or maybe if einstein and copernicus are the same dog and doc just changed the name, perhaps he names him Einstein from the start now.
  • edited March 2011
    Mysticales wrote: »
    that he mustve known in the 50s the Dogs name. (Also that its the same dog)

Einstein and Copernicus are different dogs. Either that, or 1985 Einstein is supernaturally peppy for a 30+ year old dog.

To paraphrase Morbo, BTTF Time Travel does not work that way.
  • edited March 2011
    I think the idea that Einstein could actually be Copernicus is kinda cool, in a silly sort of way.:cool: I still don't buy the whole
    BTTF Time Travel does not work that way.
    thing because there are enough loopholes to make anything possible, and we've already seen a few contradictions. Hey maybe he had rejuvenation surgery too?

I still don't think it'll happen though, but I wouldn't hate it if it did.
  • edited March 2011
    Well No, Marty Told Doc in Clarification to Martys saying "Einstein!" (Since Doc being naive to terms, even the word Heavy and thought Maybe Marty meant the REAL Einstein)

So its possible the dog changed its name. Who knows, they never really did go into this detail.
  • edited March 2011
    Aren't we looking into this a bit too hard?
  • edited March 2011
    His name is obviously DARTH VADER. Oh, and he comes from the planet Vulcan. ;)
  • edited March 2011
    His name is obviously DARTH VADER. Oh, and he comes from the planet Vulcan. ;)

I could see most hardcore fans of BTTF choosing those IN GAME. (Planet Vulcan is a choice in one of the two episodes, if I recall.)
  • edited March 2011
    Nothing wrong with looking into the story details. That is what Telltale is doing, Looking at the game from Fans eyes. Well Im sorry but Einstein is a good feature to touch base on!

Now if only they had a mini section of the game.. where instead of Marty we control. We are using Einstein to do the task. =D
  • edited March 2011
    Nothing wrong with looking into the story details. That is what Telltale is doing, Looking at the game from Fans eyes. Well Im sorry but Einstein is a good feature to touch base on!

Now if only they had a mini section of the game.. where instead of Marty we control. We are using Einstein to do the task. =D

Just like how Mrs. Strickland's shoe was taken off by einstein in episode 2 when marty had to hide from himself.
  • edited March 2011
    I've thought about this…and looked at it closely…and even took a picture ( http://i.imgur.com/KV0tY.png ) ! It blinks in that exact sequence at two different points! You'd think if the writers didn't want to drop a clue…they would have it just be all like "--- -- ---- -- --" or all filled (there is no character to represent that)…

I know you could be saying that maybe they just did it that way for "randomness" factor….but you'd think it was just randomly malfunctioning, the sequence would be different….
  • edited March 2011
    His mom had a litter of puppies. He crawled out of her womb and then doc bought him because he thought he looked like a "genius dog".
  • MageTank wrote: »
    I've thought about this…and looked at it closely…and even took a picture ( http://i.imgur.com/KV0tY.png ) ! It blinks in that exact sequence at two different points! You'd think if the writers didn't want to drop a clue…they would have it just be all like "--- -- ---- -- --" or all filled (there is no character to represent that)…

I know you could be saying that maybe they just did it that way for "randomness" factor….but you'd think it was just randomly malfunctioning, the sequence would be different….

Fast answer; it probably saved a bit of time to have that same image animate twice. We're not going to see the year 2800, any future we see will likely be the 21st century.
  • edited March 2011
    Eh, I really just thought that it was a cute way of showing that she's more obsessed about keeping order than like the obvious questions anyone would ask. The shoe is obviously like brand new compared to the 70 year old one, but she still puts it right down next to the other and doesn't even bother to care. So long as there's a place for everything and everything in it's place.
  • edited March 2011
    I would love if Einy came from another time, and doc didn't realize that... at the moment, and the shoe situation with edna, it;s not so basic as "this is A car, in 1931, now doc's in jail, so the automatic retrieval sistem took einstein to 1986", It would be so cool if edna got in the car to investigate this abandoned car in 1931, left the shoe, travel with einstein and escaped one second before marty getting out from doc's house...or something...PLEASE DO SMART STUFF LIKE THAT NOT JUST A STRAIGHT STORY...

Also...why 1986, why in that time was the delorean retrieval sistem is on. Also who's that woman outside of edna's house that stares at us??? Also why did we see the part of the movie with a differente situation and einstein not coming back from the mall?

HOPE THIS IS FOR SOMETHING, NOT JUST RANDOM STUFF...
  • edited April 2011
    I would theorize that Doc chose that time in May 1986 to keep the Delorean from causing unexpected Paradoxes whist they were dinking around in 1985, 6 months earlier. It's probably just some buffer time, close enough to the events of the movies, but safer than appearing when there could be an effect on the established events…

Then again Past…Present…Future…IT'S ALL ALREADY HAPPENED! OR WILL HAPPEN! OR IS HAPPENING!? *brain melt*
  • edited April 2011
    I have a theory that Einstein actually came from the first temporal experiment from the original movie...
    Marty's dream at the start of episode 1 is yet to be really explained and it may be possible that it was somehow disrupted, resulting in him returning to the present with it never occurring...
    Of course right now I have no idea how this could ever happen in any manner but that dream must have some meaning I think (especially from what Marty says to his dad) and the unspecified source of the delorean as well.
  • edited April 2011
    HAHAHAHAHHAahahahaha!
    I really didn't expect THIS explanation. Classic. :D

It's called the 'birds and the bugs' butthead! LOL! xDDDD
  • Now the question becomes what is Einsteins fate?

IIRC the last time we see Einstein in the game was near the end of episode 3. Up to that point einy had the same fate as doc: erased at the end of episode 2 when jumping to the present, showing up in FCB 1986 as an alternate version.

I guess the timeline changed around him?
  • edited September 2011
    Now the question becomes what is Einsteins fate?

IIRC the last time we see Einstein in the game was near the end of episode 3. Up to that point einy had the same fate as doc: erased at the end of episode 2 when jumping to the present, showing up in FCB 1986 as an alternate version.

I guess the timeline changed around him?

Um, didn't u play Episode 5? We see Einstien in the final timeline in 1986, with Edna walking him (apparently, the nice Edna of the final timeline often took Einstien for walks, much to Doc and Marty's surprise).

My guess is that the Einstien of the new timeline never made the trips to 1931 from the first two episodes...same with the Doc of the new timeline.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.