when did Einstein come from?

2»

Comments

• edited September 2011
    The new Doc WENT to 1931. This is obvious because he went back there to research Sylvia McFly. He just didn't get stuck there because he had no need to check out the speakeasy fire and therefore didn't get arrested.
  • edited September 2011
    The new Doc WENT to 1931. This is obvious because he went back there to research Sylvia McFly. He just didn't get stuck there because he had no need to check out the speakeasy fire and therefore didn't get arrested.

Yeah, that bit always confused me a bit.

So does this mean that in the final version of 1931, there are TWO Doc's roaming about Hill Valley...one who quietly does research on Sylvia McFly, and the other who is suspected of being the speakeasy arsonist and arrested?
  • edited September 2011
    Mystery solved.
  • edited September 2011
    sn939 wrote: »
    Yeah, that bit always confused me a bit.

So does this mean that in the final version of 1931, there are TWO Doc's roaming about Hill Valley...one who quietly does research on Sylvia McFly, and the other who is suspected of being the speakeasy arsonist and arrested?

That depends on what you mean by final version of 1931. From Doc's perspective, he went back, researched Sylvia, then came back to 1986.

Basically, even though we have a perfect situation for a paradox here since Marty would've never had to go back to rescue Doc, it's the same as the tombstone paradox. Universe doesn't go boom, yet things still happened as they should. Confusing? Yes. But Back to the Future doesn't follow precise logic.
  • edited September 2011
    That depends on what you mean by final version of 1931. From Doc's perspective, he went back, researched Sylvia, then came back to 1986.

Basically, even though we have a perfect situation for a paradox here since Marty would've never had to go back to rescue Doc, it's the same as the tombstone paradox. Universe doesn't go boom, yet things still happened as they should. Confusing? Yes. But Back to the Future doesn't follow precise logic.

My solution for both the paradox in the Game and the tombstone paradox is quiet similar-in both cases, something else in the final timeline(s) must have happened to cause Marty to go back in time...when he did, he was replaced by the version of himself from the previous timeline (much like how Lone Pine Marty was replaced by Twin Pines Marty when he goes back to 1955).

So basically, the way I see it...in the final timeline, the Delorean of the Original Doc, with the Original Einstien, does make it to 1986. Marty finds it, and though Doc isn't missing in HIS timeline (and is instead attending the key to the city ceremony), Marty simply assumes this is Doc from some other point of time who is in trouble. Edna's shoe's is in the car of course, and as we see in Episode 1, Marty has Einstien track her down. Except, in this timeline, he meets the 'nicer' version of Edna. Maybe Edna even admits to him about how SHE was the speakeasy arsonist, which is why she was in prison...maybe she claims he reminds her of a 'Sonny Crockett' (or 'Michael Corleone') she once knew back in the 1930's. Anyways, Marty finds the 1931 newspaper and reads about how Carl Sagan, the suspected speakeasy arsonist, escaped. He realises that Doc is Carl Sagan, and decides to go back to 1931 and help him (maybe he figures out he was MEANT to go back and help Doc escape). So he goes back to 1931, and in the process of the time jump, is 'replaced' by the version of Marty we followed at the start of Episode 1. The rest goes on as we saw in the game.
  • edited September 2011
    I just choose not to dwell on it. While Back to the Future is a science fiction, it's also a comedy, so I try not to take it too seriously. I do that a lot actually.
  • SydSyd
    edited September 2011
    I just choose not to dwell on it. While Back to the Future is a science fiction, it's also a comedy, so I try not to take it too seriously. I do that a lot actually.

But overanalyzing the timeline is part of the fun! Even if it doesn't make much sense, it still makes for good discussion among fans, or in my case, a good read since I'm posting after most of the discussion has already ended. :P
  • edited September 2011
    True, but overanalyzing anything dealing with time travel gives me a headache. lol
  • edited October 2011
    The big question you should be asking youreself is this? How did einstein enter the delorean and close the door ? xD lol
  • edited October 2011
    Maybe he jumped in through the windows.
  • edited October 2011
    sn939 wrote: »
    Maybe he jumped in through the windows.

Right. Through that little opening that Marty couldn't fit a tire iron through?

Anyways, I don't worry too much on Einstein opening and closing the door. The dog appears to be very intelligent for a canine and after seeing the doors open and close multiple times, he was probably able to deduce "Hey, if I pull this handle, the door opens!" However, the situation is different if the car was locked, but then again, it seems as though Marty and Doc never think of doing that.
  • Maybe Doc installed a doggie door?

Even in the movies doc taught his dog how to read (it was Copernicus). Einstein isn't in the movies that much; he's obviously the first time traveler, goes with doc to 2015, is in the lab in 1985A and train with doc at the end of part III. You know as many times as I've seen the movies, one thing i can't remember off the top of my head is exactly what Einstein is doing when the lybians show up;
    I know Einstein is wearing his radiation coat and is the one who 'warns' doc the lybians are coming but I can't remember seeing him again until Doc drops marty off. Did Einstein hide in the truck the entire time?
  • edited October 2011
    Maybe Doc installed a doggie door?

Even in the movies doc taught his dog how to read (it was Copernicus). Einstein isn't in the movies that much; he's obviously the first time traveler, goes with doc to 2015, is in the lab in 1985A and train with doc at the end of part III. You know as many times as I've seen the movies, one thing i can't remember off the top of my head is exactly what Einstein is doing when the lybians show up;
    I know Einstein is wearing his radiation coat and is the one who 'warns' doc the lybians are coming but I can't remember seeing him again until Doc drops marty off. Did Einstein hide in the truck the entire time?

Probably. I'd hide from gunfire, wouldn't you?
  • edited October 2011
    Nothing wrong with looking into the story details. That is what Telltale is doing, Looking at the game from Fans eyes. Well Im sorry but Einstein is a good feature to touch base on!
  • edited October 2011
    Well, there is one way for Einstein to actually be right on par with the delorean going back and with the shoe. Best bet is that he was left in the delorean during Doc's arrest, he got out by opening the door and found Edna. From there on he gets the shoe and jumps back into the delorean.

It's a problem though, how he got to the past is possibly impossible to figure out how he got the delorean to go back to it's date of leaving, doc had to leave around the time Marty was around, since it goes straight back to it's last date it left.
  • edited October 2011
    Maybe Doc installed a doggie door?

Most dogs are loyal to their owners, he had to hide from the gunshots. When the libyans were chasing Marty, einstein walked out to see Doc dead. He probably just stayed with him till the crime scene investigators of Hill Valley appeared to see what happened. Meanwhile in the 1985B, Doc lives and Einstein comes out to a living Doc, meaning nothing from 1985A.
  • edited October 2011
    Well, there is one way for Einstein to actually be right on par with the delorean going back and with the shoe. Best bet is that he was left in the delorean during Doc's arrest, he got out by opening the door and found Edna. From there on he gets the shoe and jumps back into the delorean.

It's a problem though, how he got to the past is possibly impossible to figure out how he got the delorean to go back to it's date of leaving, doc had to leave around the time Marty was around, since it goes straight back to it's last date it left.

Um, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Doc had programmed the Delorean to travel to May 14th 1986. That didn't mean it necessarily had to return to his 'Last Time Departed'. God alone knows what Doc's 'Last Time Departed' was. Remember, this is Doc of the original (in the context of the game anyway) timeline...he didn't live in 1986. In fact, he probably departed for 1931 from the future...either 2025 (where he found the new Delorean) or 2011 (where he apparently visited Marty and Jennifer).
  • edited October 2011
    Or from 1880-something. He hadn't visited Marty and Jennifer in 2011. That was a plan further down the line.
  • Or from 1880-something. He hadn't visited Marty and Jennifer in 2011. That was a plan further down the line.

No he said he already did.

Seems the automatic retreival is a new thing, it may not have been programmed for a specific day (perhaps its been 8 months since it was programmed). Since the tape recording is specifically for Marty, it's logical doc wanted it to reach Marty in his natural time.
  • edited October 2011
    Doc's words were: "We're planning on visiting you and Jennifer in 2011 soon." He had not visited them yet.
  • edited October 2011
    Okay...I must admit I've never seen that line before in the Game. I heard about it on some forum.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.