Roberta Williams/Josh Mandel discussion

Comments

• edited March 2011
    He sounds more like Indiana Jones to me. Fitting, seeing as TSL's Graham bears a striking resemblance to Harrison Ford.

That is exactly what I thought too... based on the in-game model.... not so much a art on their site.
  • edited March 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    That is exactly what I thought too... based on the in-game model.... not so much a art on their site.

They said years ago they based his appearance on a mix of Harrison Ford and KQ5 Graham. So it's not coincidental or anything.
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011
    Let's not talk about you pitching anything
    Making the Black Widow into a horny bisexual nympho who wants to nibble on Graham's ear and thinks Rosella is "succulent" was a very family friendly touch, Cez.

lol

The person who actually wrote those lines is the biggest lover of the simplistic style of King's Quest ever. If I'm not fully mistaken, that was all done by Akril, but man... that was actually very funny.
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011

The art on the site was done by this amazing guy from Brazil. I actually think that his version of Graham looks a lot like Daniel Craig.
  • edited March 2011
    Cez wrote: »
    lol

The person who actually wrote those lines is the biggest lover of the simplistic style of King's Quest ever. If I'm not fully mistaken, that was all done by Akril, but man... that was actually very funny.

I'm not the biggest fan of her style. Really the only fanwork I was ever into was the KQ Companion and KQ2VGA.
    However, no matter who wrote them, the Black Widow lines still suck and aren't KQish. That's overly sexual.
    There's a lot of sexual innuendo in your game that I doubt was all written by the same person.
  • edited March 2011
    Cez wrote: »
    The art on the site was done by this amazing guy from Brazil. I actually think that his version of Graham looks a lot like Daniel Craig.

Yeah a little... I can see it.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah. The website art looks like Daniel Craig. The older concept art and the ingame model look like Harrison Ford.
  • edited March 2011
    Yeah. The website art looks like Daniel Craig. The older concept art and the ingame model look like Harrison Ford.

OT: I don't like Daniel Craig as Bond. He plays Bond like a charm-less thug.
    For me it's a toss up between Connery and Moore.
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011

The Harrison ford one was done very much on purpose. Rich (Art Director) wanted it that way. I think his reasoning behind it was... "well, Graham is a father figure. Who wouldn't want Harrison Ford to be your father?" lol

The Daniel Craig one I think was more of a coincidence. At least I know we didn't ask for it.
  • edited March 2011
    Moore is my least favorite.
  • edited March 2011
    Moore is my least favorite.

Ah. See I like Moore because he's like...a gentlemen killer. If that makes sense.
    Connery, however, is perfect. He plays the perfect balance between ruthless, charming, tough, witty. He's the perfect balance between spy, hired skiller and detective, which IMO Bond is a mix of all those.

Moore plays like a witty, funny English detective...But he's also a ruthless, yet gentlemanly killer.
  • edited March 2011
    Kinda the same situation you're in, right?
    Nowhere near the same. Telltale isn't a bunch of fans, their version isn't going to be released free of charge(creating a developer/customer relationship, rather than a fan/fan relationship), their installment will be "official" and can very well have an effect on future canonical productions, and the people at Telltale are publicly stating that they not only hate King's Quest, but hate deep and complex puzzles and do not want to put elements of adventure games in their titles.

As fans releasing something for free, the TSL guys could throw themselves in as characters that save the day at the end after the entire main cast of King's Quest is killed off by Satan himself and I wouldn't care because it's fanart that I got for free.

And again, you're allowed to dislike it, but you're not just disliking it. You're chasing down any posts you can by the guys who worked on this title and you're actively goading them and actively making sarcastic jabs at their games in discussions where such things are entirely unrelated to the topic at hand.
  • edited March 2011
    Ah. See I like Moore because he's like...a gentlemen killer. If that makes sense.
    Connery, however, is perfect. He plays the perfect balance between ruthless, charming, tough, witty. He's the perfect balance between spy, hired skiller and detective, which IMO Bond is a mix of all those.

Moore plays like a witty, funny English detective...But he's also a ruthless, yet gentlemanly killer.

I like Moore because of the eyebrow thing.
  • edited March 2011
    Nowhere near the same. Telltale isn't a bunch of fans, their version isn't going to be released free of charge(creating a developer/customer relationship, rather than a fan/fan relationship), their installment will be "official" and can very well have an effect on future canonical productions, and the people at Telltale are publicly stating that they not only hate King's Quest, but hate deep and complex puzzles and do not want to put elements of adventure games in their titles.

As fans releasing something for free, the TSL guys could throw themselves in as characters that save the day at the end after the entire main cast of King's Quest is killed off by Satan himself and I wouldn't care because it's fanart that I got for free.

And again, you're allowed to dislike it, but you're not just disliking it. You're chasing down any posts you can by the guys who worked on this title and you're actively goading them and actively making sarcastic jabs at their games in discussions where such things are entirely unrelated to the topic at hand.

If the TSL people had their way, they'd be in the same position TT is now, in that they'd have a commercial license and would be charging money for the game.
    Goading them? Don't care. I can see their agenda for what it is.
    Like I said to MI, if you already decided you hate this game and TT...DON'T PLAY IT!
  • edited March 2011

King's Quest didn't have complex puzzles. It had Sierra logic puzzles. I love King's Quest but I really hated the Sierra logic. Really? Have to save the rat from the cat with no second chances? Give me a break Roberta Williams.

I would love to hear where they stated they hate King's Quest though. If you could show me a link to where they said that, I definitely reconsider playing their adaptation to the game. Though somehow I doubt they specifically said they hated King's Quest.
  • edited March 2011
    If the TSL people had their way, they'd be in the same position TT is now, in that they'd have a commercial license and would be charging money for the game.
    Goading them? Don't care. I can see their agenda for what it is.
    Like I said to MI, if you already decided you hate this game and TT...DON'T PLAY IT!

Our only agenda is to continue to ruin your life and give you hope that someday, someone somewhere will take you seriously.

Or maybe you'll hate Telltale's game even more than ours and will move on to being paranoid about them buying the rights to your usage of air.
  • edited March 2011
    wilco64256 wrote: »
    Our only agenda is to continue to ruin your life and give you hope that someday, someone somewhere will take you seriously.

Or maybe you'll hate Telltale's game even more than ours and will move on to being paranoid about them buying the rights to your usage of air.

Well, you already ruined the KQ series in your rewriting of it.

I doubt I could ever hate ANY game as much as your game, given that I even liked Mask of Eternity.
  • edited March 2011
    Well, you already ruined the KQ series in your rewriting of it.

I doubt I could ever hate ANY game as much as your game, given that I even liked Mask of Eternity.

Yes yes we're all well aware of how your conspiracy theory states that TSL is so bad that it somehow made all of the other King's Quest games worse too. But I'm fuzzy on how that connects to Josh Mandel and Telltale? Are you concerned that Telltale's game will automatically be subpar because of how much you dislike TSL? Because it seems like that's what you're saying...
  • edited March 2011
    Yes yes we're all well aware of how your conspiracy theory states that TSL is so bad that it somehow made all of the other King's Quest games worse too. But I'm fuzzy on how that connects to Josh Mandel and Telltale? Are you concerned that Telltale's game will automatically be subpar because of how much you dislike TSL? Because it seems like that's what you're saying...

I never said anything about TT's game being subpar...?
    You said I might hate TT's game as much as yours. I responded I couldn't.
    Your game's rewriting of the originals put a bad taste in my mouth with regard t the originals due to its suckiness. No conspiracy there.
  • edited March 2011
    I never said anything about TT's game being subpar...?
    You said I might hate TT's game as much as yours. I responded I couldn't.
    Your game's rewriting of the originals put a bad taste in my mouth with regard t the originals due to its suckiness. No conspiracy there.

Ah ok so you like the original 8 less because you hated TSL so much. Still not sure what that has to do with the topic of this thread??
  • edited March 2011
    Ah ok so you like the original 8 less because you hated TSL so much. Still not sure what that has to do with the topic of this thread??

You butted in on a conversation me and RD were having in the thread.
    Don't play stupid.
  • edited March 2011
    You butted in on a conversation me and RD were having in the thread.
    Don't play stupid.

You actually added me to that discussion when you referred to the "agenda" that we have. Our plan to take over the world by making terrible games that ruin childhoods isn't supposed to be public knowledge yet, that's all.
  • edited March 2011
    You actually added me to that discussion when you referred to the "agenda" that we have. Our plan to take over the world by making terrible games that ruin childhoods isn't supposed to be public knowledge yet, that's all.

The world doesn't consist of 30,000 people. I know you like the whole cult like atmosphere of your forum where everyone is a fawning fanboy, and I know you guys wanted to get the commercial license to reboot KQ youselves, but, as a great song says...You can't always get what you want.
  • edited March 2011
    So you're saying then that the other 6,899,969,999 people who haven't downloaded TSL hate it by default?
  • edited March 2011
    G.byrne wrote: »
    King's Quest didn't have complex puzzles. It had Sierra logic puzzles. I love King's Quest but I really hated the Sierra logic. Really? Have to save the rat from the cat with no second chances? Give me a break Roberta Williams.
    I think this point is arguable, but at the end of the day it's not the point. The point is that Telltale has said in all of their media regarding their latest two projects that they want to have "some puzzle-solving" but nothing "Rube Goldberg" or otherwise "complex". Single-stage, easy to figure out actions that require manipulating very few on-screen objects within a tiny room with little-to-no exploration. They have gone back and bashed their own adventure efforts(and some of my favorite recent adventure games), labeling them as unintuitive and poorly designed, insulting the very gameplay of adventures in the process.
    I would love to hear where they stated they hate King's Quest though. If you could show me a link to where they said that, I definitely reconsider playing their adaptation to the game. Though somehow I doubt they specifically said they hated King's Quest.
    One of the easier to find bits on this:

(emphasis in bold is mine)
    [W]hile I was working at LucasArts, I played some of the Sierra titles, and others, you know, checking out the competition. I found those games interesting and challenging, but ultimately very frustrating. They tended to punish curiosity with death, and they had all these puzzles where the solutions were amusing but often arbitrary and more or less impossible to figure out. It was like no one was thinking about what it would actually be like to PLAY the game. I claim no personal innocence on this point, by the way; I did write and design some games at that time which, while somewhat friendlier, are decidedly old school with some of their puzzles. I’m still apologizing to random strangers on the street for expecting them to think of hypnotizing a monkey as a rational way to turn him into a monkey wrench.”

As for where it’s going now, I see a shift from puzzle games with story to story games with puzzles, if that makes sense? The story and characters, which were probably always the most compelling part of the experience anyway, take center stage, and the challenge offered to the player is whatever best supports the moment and the scene at hand, instead of whatever makes the designer look clever. The games are also often being made less lengthy and more accessible, to fit with the busy lives of modern players.

Because, you know, video game players not only share a universal schedule, but they've all lost a lot of free time lately, so they'd rather have the computer do the "playing" part of a game for them while they get to enjoy the "reward" story bits.
  • edited March 2011
    So you're saying then that the other 6,899,969,999 people who haven't downloaded TSL hate it by default?

Yes.
  • edited March 2011
    I think this point is arguable, but at the end of the day it's not the point. The point is that Telltale has said in all of their media regarding their latest two projects that they want to have "some puzzle-solving" but nothing "Rube Goldberg" or otherwise "complex". Single-stage, easy to figure out actions that require manipulating very few on-screen objects within a tiny room with little-to-no exploration. They have gone back and bashed their own adventure efforts(and some of my favorite recent adventure games), labeling them as unintuitive and poorly designed, insulting the very gameplay of adventures in the process.

One of the easier to find bits on this:

(emphasis in bold is mine)

Because, you know, video game players not only share a universal schedule, but they've all lost a lot of free time lately, so they'd rather have the computer do the "playing" part of a game for them while they get to enjoy the "reward" story bits.

He says he found them interesting and challenging. Just that they frustrated him. You know, even one of Sierra's own designers talked about the dead ends as not so much being intentional but a design oversight.
  • edited March 2011
    Because, you know, video game players not only share a universal schedule, but they've all lost a lot of free time lately.

A vast majority of those who have the means to pay for the games they play do and did.
  • edited March 2011
    Radogol wrote: »
    A vast majority of those who have the means to pay for the games they play do and did.

The guy hates TT games, no point in engaging him.
  • edited March 2011
    April 17th, 2010.
  • edited March 2011

Is that why he has the highest post count on this forum?
  • edited March 2011
    I have a theory that Dashing doesn't actually HATE anything... He just doesn't particularly like any of us.... JK
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks for providing me with that quote Rather Dashing.
  • edited March 2011

attachment.php?attachmentid=640328&stc=1&d=1239136557

I find it fascinating that Anakin is defending Telltale so much and slamming KQ fans (TSL, me, Dashing, anybody who isn't looking forward to TT's KQ). For me, I've realised that this whole Telltale KQ license thing has put a lot of my misgivings about TSL into perspective. It all just seems like a bunch of silly squabbling amongst ourselves (the KQ fan community) because we didn't have anything better to do. Now the KQ legacy and its reputation and official canonical future is potentially at risk for the first time since MOE (which we all got over). I just don't see the big deal with what TSL did anymore. Sure I don't agree with it but....whatever. I'm a lot more worried about how the previously negatively outspoken Telltale (in regards to Sierra games) will ruin the series....or better it. I'm hopeful, but I am not optimistic.

But I don't hate Telltale or their KQ game. How can I? Telltale is a business like any other and I haven't even played the game yet. Once I play the demo then I'll decide if I hate it or not.
  • edited March 2011
    G.byrne wrote: »
    Thanks for providing me with that quote Rather Dashing.
    I greatly dislike the direction Telltale is going, though, with Sam and Max, Back to the Future, and now Jurassic Park as examples. "Hating" the company is probably something like a couple more titles away. Seriously, if they screw up Fables, Walking Dead, AND King's Quest(a who's who of franchises I love), I'm probably out. Hell, I would be out, but Sean Vanaman and Jake are on Walking Dead and I have to at least see what the hell they do to King's Quest, even if I don't actually play it as a worthless sign of principal, a one-man boycott against a growing, changing monolith that once was a smaller and more manageable entity that meant something to me.

As of right now, Telltale isn't on my favorite developers list. Obsidian is still there, Team Meat has joined the ranks, and CD Projekt Red has a full-blown spot, Witcher 2 pending. Telltale is now sitting in an honorary position that doesn't mean anything, and has no power but its ability to keep my attention over its next few projects. I kind of keep it in my mind, and come here still, because I want to reinstate the company. But I refuse to buy another Back to the Future, because playing that is simply a soul-crushing experience next to the sheer joy I felt experiencing Sam and Max: Season Two.
  • CezCez
    edited March 2011
    I do find that this is bringing us together, which is awesome.
  • edited March 2011
    MI, my friend....bring it. Let's hug it out.

zebralionhug.jpg

(and then maybe go find some giraffes to choke ;) )
  • edited March 2011
    KatieHal wrote: »
    MI, my friend....bring it. Let's hug it out.

zebralionhug.jpg

(and then maybe go find some giraffes to choke ;) )

OMG Katie that picture just made me choke on my soup, thanks!
  • edited March 2011
    Perhaps it's time to leave KQ in the past where it belongs, I suppose.
  • edited March 2011
    Awww... It's cute because it looks like they're hugging, but really the lion is about five seconds away from tearing the zebra's throat out with its fangs.

Erm... Hopefully that's not an accurate metaphor for the direction this forum is going...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.