Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Lost Concept Art!

JakeJake Telltale Alumni
edited February 2013 in Sam & Max
As pointed out a couple months ago, the Sam & Max Season 3 DVD was a little... lacking in the concept concept art department. We usually fill that thing up with everything we have laying around, but for whatever reason, with the Season 3 disc there was just a small handful of art, the same stuff that was available on the existing website. Soo...

concept_thumbnail.png

Here you go!

Sorry it's taken so long but there is a bunch more stuff to look at! All of it is by Ryan Jones, with the exception of the color paint-overs, which are by Derek Sakai.

UPDATE: Sam & Max Season 3 concept art can now be found on this page.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, Jake!
  • edited March 2011
    oh! Thank you :D
    I love this concept arts :D
  • edited March 2011
    Awesome! Great to see it all! :D
  • edited March 2011
    Hurrayz! :D Thanks, Jake! It looks awesome :)
  • edited March 2011
    We love you. <3
  • edited March 2011
    This-is-wonderful! :d
  • edited March 2011
    Jake start picking out some tights... because you're pretty much a superhero.

BTW this is now my wallpaper.
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/forums/Season3Concepts/Environments/PaintoverLightingBoscoTechExt.jpg
  • edited March 2011
    God, these are all so beautiful...I love Derek Sakai's beautiful colors and Ryan Jones's artwork in general is just amazing. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Great stuff! Thanks so much! I love the Dr. Norrington one. What's up with Papierwaite?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    mathman77 wrote: »
    Great stuff! Thanks so much! I love the Dr. Norrington one. What's up with Papierwaite?

There was talk originally of Norrington more "taking over" Papierwaites body when he emerged, so he would appear upright like a person, with Papierwaite effectively sticking out of his back. Animation-wise it was too much to bite off, plus those two characters were written as being awake, talking and acting at the same time, so Norrington ended up sticking out of Papierwaite at a more normal angle.
  • edited March 2011
    This is the best thing to come home to after work.
  • edited March 2011
    This artwork is beautiful. I love everything about it, the colouring, the style - Oh man. This is an awesome thing to wake up to.

I think my favourite piece is the 'Skunkape Bridge Controls' piece. He looks so hilariously disgruntled, there.

But anyway, aarrgghh - thank you so much for releasing these! Much appreciated. :)
  • edited March 2011
    Awesome, I loved seeing the previous concepts for the characters :D
  • edited March 2011
    This is amazing stuff. Thank you so much, Jake. I'll have to take a more thorough look when I have more time.
    edited March 2011
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    Awesome, I loved seeing the previous concepts for the characters :D

Yeah finding those in the concept art directory was a nice surprise!
  • edited March 2011
    Sweet. You're awesome, Jake :D
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks, thanks, thanks A LOT!
  • edited March 2011
    This just made my week! Thanks so much Jake! :D
  • edited March 2011
    This is great. Thanks for this mate.
  • edited March 2011
    Thank you, Jake!
  • FlyFly
    edited March 2011
    Thank you, Jake. These are awesome.
  • edited March 2011
    Brilliant work Jake, even though this should have been on the DVD ;) nice to see you kept your word and got us the artwork to look at! :)
    edited March 2011
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Brilliant work Jake, even though this should have been on the DVD ;) nice to see you kept your word and got us the artwork to look at! :)

I would have loved to see it on the DVD. I didn't do much work on the data side of the DVD -- just the video side and the packaging -- so I didn't know it had slipped through the cracks.
  • edited March 2011
    I'm in love.
  • edited March 2011
    Thank you, good sir, for finally putting up the concept art, after so much insistence from the fans. I'd have responded sooner, but I gave up gratuitous internet time for Lent, so I'm only coming on the boards to submit fanart. The squeaky wheel truly does get the grease.

And now, THE NUTRISPECS!
    edited March 2011
    And now, THE NUTRISPECS!

I have no control of those. Their absence on the DVD bums me out more than the concept art but there's not much that can be done at this point. If there is a point at which something can realistically be done, the forums will be the first to know. Happy to get you the concept art, though!
  • edited March 2011
    Awesome! Thanks, Jake!

I love all the different iterations of the Narrator. It seems like you guys weren't sure whether you wanted him to look more like Rod Serling, Criswell, or a muppet. Somehow the final design managed to strike the perfect balance of the three. :p
  • edited March 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    I have no control of those. Their absence on the DVD bums me out more than the concept art but there's not much that can be done at this point. If there is a point at which something can realistically be done, the forums will be the first to know. Happy to get you the concept art, though!

NOOOOOO! Oh well, the concept art was a nice surprise anyway!
  • edited March 2011
    Awesome, but there's some way to save it with the rest of the concept art in the DVD?
  • edited March 2011
    Sweet! That pigeon is so cool, and I love the Norrington concept.
  • edited March 2011
    You wouldn't happen to have any concept art of Max-as-Sammun-Mak, would you?
  • edited March 2011
    Awesome. Thanks so much for sharing, Jake!
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Although I'm not the first to say this, I'm loving the concept art for the Narrator.
    edited March 2011
    You wouldn't happen to have any concept art of Max-as-Sammun-Mak, would you?

I don't know if that ever even got drawn.

Wait... it did! Uploaded!

http://vip.telltalegames.com/forums/Season3Concepts/Characters/MaxSammunMak.jpg
  • edited March 2011

While we're making requests, any chance of Hubert Q. Tourist concepts? :p
    edited March 2011
    lombre wrote: »
    While we're making requests, any chance of Hubert Q. Tourist concepts? :p

I think he exists as well. I'll take a look soon.
  • edited March 2011
    I think he exists as well. I'll take a look soon.

Jake, you're awesome.
  • edited March 2011

Swedish deals! Thank you so much, Jake my man!
  • edited March 2011
    Max as Sammun-Mak... that's ungodly cute *warm fuzzies*
  • edited March 2011
    Looked at the concept art thinking Max was playing the kazoo then realised it's his little beard.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.