Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: The Lost Concept Art!

2»

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Yes! Thanks Jake! Winning!

By the way, who drew these? Forgive my lack of info.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2011
    They're all drawn by our concept artist Ryan Jones, except for the color tests which are painted over rough-stage game environments by Derek Sakai, one of our art directors.
  • edited March 2011
    How about Monster Max? is there any concept art for him?
  • edited March 2011
    Malleys wrote: »
    How about Monster Max? is there any concept art for him?
    Oh gosh, seconding this. And how about that art used in the icon for 304? The Sam clone one?
  • edited March 2011
    Yep. I've digested them all. Bring in a second batch please.

Oh I'm SO spoiled.
  • edited April 2011
    Any chance we could see some concepts of Baby Amelia Earhart? Do you have any of Bosco and Momma Bosco's ancestors from the old country?
    edited April 2011
    Any chance we could see some concepts of Baby Amelia Earhart? Do you have any of Bosco and Momma Bosco's ancestors from the old country?

Baby Amelia might exist. Ancient Boscos... why would they exist? Were they mentioned in the episode, or mentioned as something in an early design? I don't think they were ever drawn, if they ever existed.
  • edited April 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    Baby Amelia might exist. Ancient Boscos... why would they exist? Were they mentioned in the episode, or mentioned as something in an early design? I don't think they were ever drawn, if they ever existed.

The Bosco's were mentioned in the commentary of Tomb of Sammun-Mak, as a concept that got rejected. I was curious if there ever were any designs for those characters.
    edited April 2011
    Ah, crazy! I didn't know that (didn't work on episode 2 much). I don't think they got as far as being drawn, sorry to say.
  • edited April 2011
    They're all drawn by our concept artist Ryan Jones, except for the color tests which are painted over rough-stage game environments by Derek Sakai, one of our art directors.

Awesome. Thanks for replying, and great job on Season 3.

May I ask what software does the art team use to color the artwork? Or is it done by hand? Sammun-Mak/Max looks really nice here.
    edited April 2011
    Gohaku wrote: »
    Awesome. Thanks for replying, and great job on Season 3.

May I ask what software does the art team use to color the artwork? Or is it done by hand? Sammun-Mak/Max looks really nice here.

Its handdrawn pencilwork that is scanned and then colored in Photoshop, which is always mind-blowing to me
  • edited April 2011
    Its handdrawn pencilwork that is scanned and then colored in Photoshop, which is always mind-blowing to me

Haha! I figured as much, it is pretty amazing. I do some fan work using a similar program known as GIMP. It's not nearly as powerful as Photoshop however

Thanks, you've been great with replying to all of these comments! Could I ask one more question? To get your opinion on something?
  • edited April 2011
    damn i never thought this would actually happen
    edited April 2011
    Gohaku wrote: »
    Thanks, you've been great with replying to all of these comments! Could I ask one more question? To get your opinion on something?

Yes.

That was kind of a waste of a question though, don't you think?
  • edited April 2011
    Wonderful drawings. :D I actually love the drawings more than the 3d-graphics. It takes me back to the late 90's click-and-point adventures with all the crazy objects and backgrounds. My favourites are the arctic circle and the clone chamber. Amazing! :D
  • edited April 2011
    Yes.

That was kind of a waste of a question though, don't you think?

Aha! You're right... Apologies :o

Well my question, as it relates to Sam and Max, is this; How do you like my Max impression? :D Just curious to know. I'd really appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrJnznYw8bY&feature=feedu
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Sorry if this is late, but is there any art for Noir Sam?
  • edited April 2011
    Okay this is REALLY late, but I always wondered what that scrawl was in Papierwaite's diary. I tried to read it but all I could understand were the "Mr. Bossy" and "Bigger Spell=Answer?" comments. Is it real words, or just chicken scratch, and if its the former would you mind posting what embarrassing poetry and schoolboy crushes were written in there?
  • edited April 2011
    They're all drawn by our concept artist Ryan Jones
    I just love Ryan's work. Every so often I thumb through the Tales of Monkey Island Art Collection and am mesmerized by them.

It would be cool to also have the S&M concepts as printed collection but I guess nobody has the time currently.
  • edited May 2011
    Bump for more concept art.
  • edited May 2011
    Moar.
  • edited May 2011
    I'm sorry, but does anyone else get the feeling that prego-Sybil looks kinnda hot in the concept? =D** well, in the game she wasn't really

also, the toys of power, we never to to use the weird glasses that almost look just like the ones from "Dysfunction of the Gods" episode, ya know, "all-see-through" XD
  • edited July 2011
    There's no art of monster Max i guess :(
  • edited July 2011
    Guys thanks for the concept art, I am proud to have the evolution concept art of the narrator in my files. I so did enjoy him, he is my favorite of the new season 3 characters.
  • edited August 2011
    my favourite one is the sammak max
    edited August 2011
    Malleys wrote: »
    There's no art of monster Max i guess :(

Ooh there is! I just don't know if I can find it. I haven't gone Sam & Max concept art diving in a while. (No promises though.)
  • edited August 2011
    Fingers crossed, Jake! Fingers croooossssseeeed.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2011
    If more S&M concepts are desired... why not check out Ryan Jones' blog??
  • edited October 2011
    >>Maxthulu concept art<<

IT'S WHAT I'VE ALWAYS WANTED :DDD
  • edited November 2011
    These are all amazingly lovely!! Ryan Jones's artwork is just stunning. I hope someday I end up half as good as him.

Norrington's is my favorite... hehehe...
  • edited November 2011
    Mmmmm delicious concept art. I'm all for more should anything be found!

Little Arctic Circle makes a fantastic holiday wallpaper! Perfect for all your Brooklyn-ghetto elf needs this holiday season! Pay them a half a candy cane a week and maybe they won't steal your desktop icons! :D
  • edited June 2012
    Ooo. Very inspiring concept art. It's wonderful seeing how the artwork influenced the game. c:
  • edited June 2012
    Sammun-Mak looks particularly eccentric!
  • edited September 2012
    Is that Sybil? I bought the full collection of Sam & Max but I haven't got to this game, I haven't seen her in the trailers so I'm assuming she ran off in episode 202 after Abe got her mad.
  • edited October 2012
    Is that Sybil? I bought the full collection of Sam & Max but I haven't got to this game, I haven't seen her in the trailers so I'm assuming she ran off in episode 202 after Abe got her mad.

No after she ran off she comes back in episode 3 looking to find a replacement boyfriend for Abe but then she goes back to Abe.
  • edited February 2013
    TERRIBLE EMERGENCY!!! I can no longer access the links on these pages! WHERE DID THE CONCEPT ART GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?!?!?!?!!?
  • edited February 2013
    Just another example of Telltale slowly killing Sam & max, they probably need the space for Walking Dead concept art.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2013
    It looks like they've been moved. Sam & Max Season Three concept art can be found here.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2013
    We still love Sam & Max! Our VIP site was rejigged a few months ago, which is probably what broke the link Jake posted. I've added the new one to his OP in this thread. :)
  • edited February 2013
    Hey, Puzzlebox, while you're tracking down things that moved in that vip area, could you please see if you can locate the image referenced in this message?

I'm in the mood for Sam & Max in the fog....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.