Do you think the game will be based on the comic, series, or both?

edited October 2011 in The Walking Dead
Answer the question!!!!

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Answer the question!!!!

OKAY!!!!

I think it will be influenced by whichever one they have the rights to use... probably the comics.
  • edited March 2011
    I believe Robert Kirkman said it'd be based off the comics.
  • edited March 2011
    Telltale have stated it will be based off the comics.

/thread
  • edited March 2011
    As someone who hasn't (yet) read the comics nor see the series... I ask, what is the difference? The overall storyline, the character origins or the design?

For example, when they made Spiderman, the movies, they changed a lot of the original character designs. And the stories. Especially the background stories.

Also, which is "better" to see? For Lord of the Rings I can easily recommend the movies over the books. For Harry Potter I strongly suggest the books over the movies.

What's the case here?
  • edited March 2011
    I'm a purist so I say the comics.
  • edited March 2011
    Well SWP the comics are black and white and from the best of my knowledge has only had two artists ... the current one has been on for nearly the entire run..

But the show has hired actors for the most part that capture the look of each from the book... the main difference is that the show is in color.
  • edited March 2011
    So the storyline is identical?
  • edited March 2011
    Not at all. The story follows similar lines, and character arcs seem to be more or less the same(though sometimes following different events), but the show introduces new characters, subplots, and occasionally goes on detours. For example, the entire CDC plot in the last couple episodes was entirely fabricated for the TV series.
  • edited March 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I'm a purist so I say the comics.

You're really missing out if you don't check out the show as well. It's very true to the comics.
  • edited March 2011
    the shows added characters work... I could see them fitting right in with the book.
  • edited May 2011
    I'll be ecstatic if it's based off the comics. I've been reading since 07 and it's one of my favorite comic books ever, the television series is excellent, but it'd be awesome to see a 'somewhat' cinematic approach to taking the comics to an entertainment medium.
  • edited May 2011
    Both
  • edited May 2011
    TV series was based from Comic, didn't it?
  • edited June 2011
    I just started watching the show. First two episodes.

...seemed... long... and... soap-opera-ish...
    Are the comics better?
  • edited June 2011
    I just started watching the show. First two episodes.

...seemed... long... and... soap-opera-ish...
    Are the comics better?
    I suppose it depends. From the perspective of someone who read the comics first, I was mainly in the show for the excellent cinematography and practical special effects. I enjoy the show, though there is that element of "how much of the story am I filling in with my already existing knowledge?" problem that comes with having seen the original material first.

A few things I didn't like in the TV series(which is not to say I disliked the show, because I definitely didn't) were the way that they seemed to simplify the interpersonal relationships a bit, Rick and Shane were made a lot less likable for me through their conversation added near the start of the series(pre-apocalypse), etc. The comics are definitely DIFFERENT in a lot of ways, and I'd really do suggest giving them a try before giving up on the franchise altogether, but a lot of the show DOES revolve around interpersonal relationships and drama(albeit in a very gritty, dark, and genuine way that comes off less soap opera-y than the first couple TV episodes might).
  • edited June 2011
    . I enjoy the show, though there is that element of "how much of the story am I filling in with my already existing knowledge?" problem that comes with having seen the original material first.

I watched the show first (all this is from before I knew Telltale was going to make a Walking Dead game). Really liked the first episode, but I didn't enjoy the other 5. After being bugged about it for weeks by a friend, I decided (against my will) to give the comics a try. Really, really love those comics. Much better than the tv series, I thought. However, after learning to appreciate the comics I gave the tv series another try, and liked it a lot more the second time around.

I've been thinking about it for some time, and I think the reason for this is that the comic does a much better job of making me care about the characters. The first time I watched the tv version, none of the characters seemed likable or interesting to me. Considering this franchise is all about characters, that's a pretty big problem. After getting to know most of the characters by reading a mountain of comics, the show was a lot more interesting to me. I'll still take the comics over the tv series any day, but at least I managed to get some enjoyment out of every tv episode, and I'm sort of curious about what the second season will bring.

So yeah, read the comics.
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks guys... I'll give the comics a shot :)
  • edited October 2011
    I wanna say both and neither. If it's well done, I think it may take ques from either' but like they decided to do with the show, it has to be different so that fans don't already know what happens when they play the game. Some characters who are dead may survive or things may happen in a different way, stuff like that. That's storywise though. About the graphics, I'm not sure where they're going to take influences from, but I think it's have the look and feel of a comic.
This discussion has been closed.