Strong interest in Sam & Max

edited April 2011 in Sam & Max
Okay, from what I have seen in trailers I REALLy want to get into this game. There is currently a sale for all 3 seasons, should I start from the beginning?

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Yes. Yes you should. You'll love it.
  • edited April 2011
    Players who stick through Season 1 through Season 3 get a bigger payoff, I think, at the end of Season 3. Just because of the closeness you get for the characters. Makes Season 3's ending more meaningful. But beyond that, there are a lot of references that might go over a person's head if they haven't played Season 1 and 2. Hell there's at least a few references in Season 3 that go back to Sam and Max Hit the Road.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Okay, from what I have seen in trailers I REALLy want to get into this game. There is currently a sale for all 3 seasons, should I start from the beginning?

I'd recommend starting on Season 2 or 3, just because I feel like Season 1 is a bit rough (especially the first few episodes) compared to the later stuff. But it depends on how you get into other media. When someone recommends you a TV show or a comic, do you feel the need to start with the first episode/issue, or do you jump in to what's currently on?
  • edited April 2011
    I feel that the time-traveling part on season 2 is quite confusing without playing season 1 first.

Plus you get introductions to the secondary characters, such as the soda poppers, etc.

I jumped in into the franchise (and the games) by playing Abe Lincoln Must Die! I was sort of confused but so entertained I didn't care. From there I took the plunge in proper order.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah.

PLEASE just get through episode 1. Maybe some people like it, I don't know a lot that do. I mean I do, but compared to later episodes it's pretty bland.
  • edited April 2011
    I'd say start by playing Season 1. If you get bored and think it's annoying, skip to episode 4. If you still think it's annoying, skip to Season 2. If that's bad, skip to Season 3. If you're not the type to give up easily when you've already paid, no skipping.

There are an awful lot of us who thought Season 1 was awesome when it was all we had. Just don't expect to be wowed by special effects. :)
  • edited April 2011
    I liked all the seasons. I thought each one of them had a special charm.
  • edited April 2011
    The first few episodes of Season One are a bit weak, but everything onwards is brilliant.
  • edited April 2011
    DAISHI wrote: »
    PLEASE just get through episode 1. Maybe some people like it, I don't know a lot that do. I mean I do, but compared to later episodes it's pretty bland.

I like it, too... >_> The salad shooter alone is so much fun, it should be illegal.

Um... anyways! The seasons do have continuity, so if that's important to you, start at the beginning. My first time around, I revisited Hit the Road, and then played Seasons 1-3 back-to-back. No regrets! I fell in love so hard I think I broke myself.
  • edited April 2011
    Yeah I do like the first episode but (I feel) you can tell they're still finding ways to make the humor shine through. Plus I haaaate the Soda Poppers. They played better in the second season for me.
  • edited April 2011
    crfh wrote: »
    I jumped in into the franchise (and the games) by playing Abe Lincoln Must Die! I was sort of confused but so entertained I didn't care. From there I took the plunge in proper order.

That's my first introduction to the franchise aswell, I played a demo in a game magazine. From the screenshots I originally thought it was an office comedy like Dillbert.
  • edited April 2011
    That's my first introduction to the franchise aswell, I played a demo in a game magazine. From the screenshots I originally thought it was an office comedy like Dillbert.

When I first heard of the series, I kept hearing about it's raunchy sense of humor, so I was picturing something more like Robot Chicken. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was more family friendly then I'd been expecting. Shocking, I know.
  • edited April 2011
    It wont hurt too much to skip season 1, but I still reccomend playing it as well.
    It does help you learn more about the characters, and the Bosco paranoia sidegag is only in this season.(I get he goes nuts over
    T.H.E.M.
    in season 2 but I dont count that since "the time for disguises are past")
  • edited April 2011
    I recommend playing them in order. Note that Season 1 is very...rough, though. Not bad, but it's one of Telltale's earlier works (when they lacked both the experience and the budget they do now), and it shows.
  • edited April 2011
    It's pretty important to play it in order, or you'll just end up confused.

It starts off a bit slow, but episodes 4 and 5 in season 1 are some of the best in the whole series.
  • FlyFly
    edited April 2011
    I did them in reverse order, but personally I think you should play S1, then S2, then S3. S2 really doesn't make a lot of sense (even by Sam and Max standards) without having played S1 first, because it revolves around lots of S1's recurring characters. S3 is pretty stand-alone, though.

Also, the first few episodes of S1 are a bit rough (imo, the first and third are okay but overly short and easy, and the second one is kind of horrible. The fourth, fifth and sixth are all COMPLETELY AMAZING, though). S2 is more of the same as S1, but better. S3 is different in terms of story and feel and represents kind of a departure, so if you play S3 first don't go expecting S1 and 2 to be much like it.
  • edited April 2011
    season 3 is the highest point in telltale's history. After that things just start going downhill
  • edited April 2011
    coolguy721 wrote: »
    season 3 is the highest point in telltale's history. After that things just start going downhill
    Funny that you say that. The only games released after season 3 are Puzzle Agent (which was actually released during season 3, but oh well...), Poker Night at the Inventory and Back to the Future. I think most people agree that Puzzle Agent was quite good (a lot of people found it to be better than season 3 of Sam & Max) and Poker Night was just a game in between that was well worth its asking price as well. The only game getting lots of complaints is Back to the Future.

Personally, I don't think you can really point to a Telltale game / season and say that was the highest point. I loved the first seasons of Sam & Max and Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People. I didn't like Tales of Monkey Island and Wallace & Gromit, but Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse and Puzzle Agent renewed my interest. Back to the Future Episode 1 was, in my opinion, not a bad game either.

I think that if you don't like a Telltale game, you just have to wait for them to make another game that you do like. Especially with Sam & Max; they'll probably return to make a season 4.
  • edited April 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    It wont hurt too much to skip season 1, but I still reccomend playing it as well.

Oh shush you. Season 1 isn't BAD even if you think it's less enjoyable than the other seasons. Skipping any season or, really, any episode, shouldn't be an option.
  • edited April 2011
    Season 1 is NOT bad by any standards. The whole 3 seasons are VERY good, have a tremendous replayability, they are roll-on-the-floor funny, they have excellent graphics, puzzles, voices, music and stories. There are weak elements in all of them, but I consider them very minor negative points.

It's only in comparison with each other that the seasons are classified as "this was good, but this one was better" and such. I own a lot of games, many of them Telltale Games, and to me the Sam and Max series are the best games TTG has, and some of the best games ever created, not only in the adventure genre, but generally speaking. This is coming from someone who overall prefers first-shooters the best.
  • edited April 2011
    Season 1 is definitely the weakest one, but no one should miss the Soda Poppers.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.