If Hector can run on my Iphone, why does it need 3 gig of RAM?!

I have a Lenovo Y710 2.0 Ghz Dual CPU, 2 gigs of RAM, ATI HD Radeon 2600 with 256 video memory, and running Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2. I can run BTTF:TG fine, but not Hector? What gives?! :confused:

Game Requirements:

PC System Requirements:
Windows
Operating system: Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7
Processor: 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Video Card: ATI or NVidia card w/ 512 MB RAM
Direct X 9.0c
Audio card required

Mac:
Processor: 2.3 Ghz Intel or equivalent
Memory: 4 GB RAM Video Card: 512 MB NVidia or ATI graphics card
Not recommended for Mac Minis or early-generation MacBooks

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Umm...where did you get this info from?
  • edited April 2011
    econojo wrote: »
    PC System Requirements:
    Windows
    Operating system: Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7
    Processor: 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent
    Direct X 9.0c
    Audio card required

Seems more like Crysis 2's requirements to me.
  • edited April 2011
    Umm...where did you get this info from?

http://www.telltalegames.com/store/Hector101

Edit: here is a screenshot: http://www.diigo.com/item/image/19rj2/9c57?size=o

Edit2: Looking at the requirements for BTTF:TG on Steam reveal that those are the "Recommended" system and not the required system. Hector isn't on Steam, so I don't know what the REAL system requirements are. Can anyone elaborate? Are they the same?

Here is BTTF:TG according to Steam:

PC System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent
    Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Graphics: ATI or NVidia card w/ 256 MB RAM
    DirectX®: Direct X 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 2 GB Space Free
    Sound: Direct X 8.1 sound device

Recommended:

Processor: 2.7 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent
    Graphics: ATI or NVidia card w/ 512 MB RAM
    DirectX®: Direct X 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 3 GB Space Free
    Sound: Direct X 8.1 sound device

Mac System Requirements

Minimum:

Processor: 2.0 GHz Pentium or equivalent
    Memory: 2 GB RAM
    Graphics: ATI or NVidia card w/ 256 MB RAM
    Not recommended for MAC Minis or early-generation MacBooks

Recommended:

Processor: 2.3 GHz Pentium or equivalent
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: ATI or NVidia card w/ 512 MB RAM
    Not recommended for MAC Minis or early-generation MacBooks
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Still, 2 GB is A WHOLE LOT for a game that could well run on 256 MB.
  • edited April 2011
    They didn't want to bother theirselves with details and copied/pasted some other game's requirements, I suppose. I resist to believe Hector needs more system power than Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse.
  • edited April 2011
    You know, according to that i don't fill the minimum requisits for BTTF, but it runs just fine with graphics level at medium (not even low).

So, i guess there is something wrong.
  • edited April 2011
    I contacted Telltale and they confirmed that those are in fact the minimum requirements to play Hector.

It must have some awesome graphics!
    As far as the system requirements for Hector – what you see on the store page is correct.

Thank you for choosing Telltale Games!

Heather Shields

Admin and Marketing Assistant

It looks like I won't be able to buy this game. :(
  • edited April 2011
    Still not believing. You gotta have to hire Arnold Schwarzenegger to make me believe these are the required system aspects to run Hector properly; a game you can also play on an iPhone.

An adventure game, which is 2D.

A game in which the dialouges are more interesting than the overall visuals.
  • edited April 2011
    I'd also be interested if someone from Telltale would weigh in on why this game needs so much memory to run on a PC.

If I had to speculate, I would guess that because this game was originally written for something not-Telltale-tool, they had to come up with an emulator software layer between the Telltale tool and the original code, and that's why it takes a lot more memory than something written for the Telltale tool from scratch and with more impressive graphics.

If that's the case, they could probably come up with an alternative Telltale tool that excludes the features not needed for this game, and maybe that would cut the size requirements. But they'd have to be able to justify the developer time associated with that with the number of additional sales they'd get, and maybe they don't think they'll have enough interested buyers with less-memory-packed computers.

I'm just making all of this up, of course.
  • edited April 2011
    WOW 2GB of hard drive space? That is much larger than any Telltale game thus far.
  • edited April 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    WOW 2GB of hard drive space? That is much larger than any Telltale game thus far.

i think they have just copied and pasted the requirements from another one of their games because all there games seem to have the same requirements. The 2GB of hard drive space is normally for the whole season which is normally 5 episodes which i know that hector will be getting more episodes later this year. A standard episode is around 200-400MB in size.
    edited April 2011
    Now there's the opportunity to seriously optimize the Telltale tool. ;)
  • edited April 2011
    Now there's the opportunity to seriously optimize the Telltale tool. ;)

I believe Hector isn't being made in the Telltale tool...
    edited April 2011
    Team Hector disagrees:

Before now, Hector was only available to you elitist, phone-fingering gadget hounds in glorious pocket-sized resolution. Telltale’s going to be taking whatever nauseating corners of Clappers Wreake we’ve had the displeasure of smearing together and slapping them all into their all-powerful godlike game engine. Then, Hector will be set free to run rampant through PCs, Macs and iPads of an unforgiving world.
  • edited April 2011
    lol, even Crysis works well on a 2 GB machine
  • edited April 2011
    I only know that the requirments for Back to the Future are as follows:

And i got only 1G and a video card of 256. It runs perfectly.

I'll wait i see but im confident i'll be able to play Hector.
  • edited April 2011
    But extra memory hardly costs anything nowdays, and having 4GB of memory on a computer seriously boosts how convenient it is to use. I don't know why anyone wouldn't upgrade their memory capacity to at least 4GB. Especially on older computers, DDR2 memory is really cheap. Even here in expensive Finland 4GB of DDR2 at 800MHz costs you 60 euros. And it's a snap to replace old memory with new one.
  • edited April 2011
    Linque wrote: »
    But extra memory hardly costs anything nowdays, and having 4GB of memory on a computer seriously boosts how convenient it is to use. I don't know why anyone wouldn't upgrade their memory capacity to at least 4GB. Especially on older computers, DDR2 memory is really cheap. Even here in expensive Finland 4GB of DDR2 at 800MHz costs you 60 euros. And it's a snap to replace old memory with new one.

The reason for me is that I can't even pay up 60 euros at once.
  • edited April 2011
    I'm guessing the gameplay will be differenta nd the animation will be more crisp, smooth, and rich. Though I could be wrong...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    I can't speak for the RAM requirements, but Hector takes up more hard disk space than the usual Telltale game because it has a lot of HD FMV sequences, like those in the iOS release but higher res obviously. Video takes up a lot of space.

As for RAM, if you can run BTTF you can probably run Hector. I make no guarantees obviously-- I've only ever played Hector on my iPhone and my PC at work-- but its basically the same Telltale Tool version that is powering BTTF.
  • edited April 2011
    Jake wrote: »
    I can't speak for the RAM requirements, but Hector takes up more hard disk space than the usual Telltale game because it has a lot of HD FMV sequences, like those in the iOS release but higher res obviously. Video takes up a lot of space.

As for RAM, if you can run BTTF you can probably run Hector. I make no guarantees obviously-- I've only ever played Hector on my iPhone and my PC at work-- but its basically the same Telltale Tool version that is powering BTTF.

Great to hear! Thanks for the response. I shall go buy more RAM!
  • edited April 2011
    If this can help, I managed to run my review copy of Hector on an old 2006 laptop:

Intel Centrino Core Duo 1.73Ghz, 1Gb RAM, WXP sp2, ATI X1600 256Mb VRAM (dedicated VRAM!!!)

The game was running in 1280x800 without major problems. There's no "detail" setup available (BTW, it would be pointless, the game is plain 2D).
  • edited April 2011
    Welp, After much thinking about it I finally caved in and pre-ordered it :(

The Above post did it for me, So I hope you are not a lier Diduz :P

nah, hehe game looks fun as well and i had money in my paypal.
    Now to find some one who doesn't already have puzzle agent :(
  • edited April 2011
    Funny that everyone thinks you have to put money on your paypal account to pay with it :D
    It is linked to your bank account its automaticaly taken from there if you dont have it stored on your paypal acc. Just saying, seems like nobody knows that.
  • edited April 2011
    funny how some people don't realize that if you got some spare in your paypal account, it just makes it easier to spend it on something you might not spend it on :P
  • edited April 2011
    DarkLink wrote: »
    funny how some people don't realize that if you got some spare in your paypal account, it just makes it easier to spend it on something you might not spend it on :P

Funny how you dont realise that its actually not easier. All you do is click on "Pay now" it makes NO difference at all.
  • TorTor
    edited April 2011
    It runs just fine on my laptop (a convertible tablet) with Intel graphics. I haven't noticed any degraded performance so far. I guess they erred on the side of caution with those system requirements.
  • edited April 2011
    OK, my macbook air 13-inch is running portal 2 on high graphics setting at about 50fps, AND HECTOR ISNT RUNNING. why, tellatale, why????
  • edited April 2011
    I mean, it plays, but I get a flickering black screen nonstop. Even on a windowed screen on the lowest resolution, the screen still flickers black.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.