Top 3 Worst Episodes

edited February 2012 in Sam & Max
OK here goes!

1. Moai Better Blues
2. Reality 2.0
3. The Tomb of Sammun-Mak

(I like them all, but these are just a bit uninspired and dull at some points in my opinion)

Comments

• edited April 2011
    1-Get Tannen
    2-It's About Time
    3-Citizen Brown

...oh you mean Sam and Max, sorry. I thought, like, in whole episodography of Telltale.

The Tomb of Sammun-Mak is one of the best written episodes, actually. Reality 2.0 had a great setting too.

1-Penal Zone
    2-Situation: Comedy
    3-Moai Better Blues
  • edited April 2011
    I still loved them, just less.

1. The Tomb of Sammun-Mak
    2. Reality 2.0
    3. Moai Better Blues
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Falanca wrote: »
    1-Get Tannen
    2-It's About Time
    3-Citizen Brown

...oh you mean Sam and Max, sorry. I thought, like, in whole episodography of Telltale.

Falanca its at the point here where you're just trolling. I'm sure you can do better. This is clearly the Sam & Max forum. Please cut down the faux-ignorant sarcasm. Few people are fooled, no one is entertained.
  • edited April 2011
    crfh wrote: »
    I still loved them, just less.

1. The Tomb of Sammun-Mak
    2. Reality 2.0
    3. Moai Better Blues

I'm glad we nearly agree! :D
  • edited April 2011
    Duccen wrote: »
    OK here goes!

3. The Tomb of Sammun-Mak

what the hell?
  • edited April 2011
    Ice Station Santa
    Moai Better Blues
    Culture Shock
  • edited April 2011
    Every episode is good, but not all are great.

1. Situation: Comedy
    2. They Stole Max's Brain!
    3. Culture Shock (although I usually cut this one some slack, being the pilot and all)
  • edited April 2011
    Situation: Comedy
    Moai Better Blues
    Culture Shock

No numbering because I'm really not sure which ones are the worst, suffice to say they are all baaaaaaad. I'm kinda amazed I even finished out the first season after the first two, but given how much I enjoyed Seasons 2 and 3 I'm glad I did. :)
  • edited April 2011
    *scratches head*

Well.. I haven't played Season 3 yet so I can't completely judge on that factor alone and by itself, so.. I'll choose everything up to Season 2. They're not in any specific order, so I'll just list the ones that really weren't my favorites.

1. Moai Better Blues
    2. Abe Lincoln Must Die!
    3. Culture Shock!

as mathman77 said, Culture Shock! is the pilot, so really it's best to cut some slack. I actually kinda liked it more first playing it, but now it must be one of the few that's kinda meh to me.
  • edited April 2011
    1. Night of the Raving Dead (I can't stand Jurgen even as a villain)
    2. The City That Dares Not Sleep (would be number one if Night of the Raving Dead didn't introduce Jurgen. Had a weak end I think.)
    3. I don't have a three, I've only not played Moai Better Blues, and those are the only two I don't like above.
  • edited April 2011
    1. Culture Shock
    2. Moai Better Blues
    3. Situation: Comedy
  • edited April 2011
    the only episode I didn't liked much was the first of the first series, I just hate soda poppers
  • edited April 2011
    There arnt any bad episodes they are all pretty much amazing and fun
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    1. Culture Shock
    2. Moai Better Blues

Agreed with Woodsyblue (and even then, I still had loads of fun playing those episodes).
    Not sure why some people don't seem to like Reality 2.0 and The Tomb of Sammun-Mak as they are my favorite episodes of seasons one and three respectively (I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder).
  • edited April 2011
    1. Moai better blues
    2. Culture Sock

I like them, just less...
  • edited April 2011
    Remolay wrote: »
    2. The City That Dares Not Sleep (would be number one if Night of the Raving Dead didn't introduce Jurgen. Had a weak end I think.)
    3. I don't have a three, I've only not played Moai Better Blues, and those are the only two I don't like above.

Everything here leads me to believe you are pure evil.
  • FlyFly
    edited April 2011
    1. Situation: Comedy.
    2. Situation: Comedy.
    3. Situation: Comedy.

I absolutely detest that game. It's the only one I couldn't be bothered to finish, and so skipped. (The lyrics to Sam's song were nice, though.)

I pretty much love every other episode, though. Even the ones I disliked (like, say, They Stole Max's Brain!), I disliked in the way I dislike things I actually love, where I just want them to be a little better. Situation: Comedy I just plain hated. (Mole/Mob/Meatball more than made up for it.)
  • edited April 2011
    Though I know love the series and didn't know better at the time, I now look back and think unfondly of

Culture Shock
    Situation Comedy
    Which drew chuckles but no laughs, happiness at Sam/Max's return but no jubilation.
    These are the two I'd hate to play against, most.

Finally, Moai Better Blues.
  • edited April 2011
    I dunno... cos I like them all, but I would hafta say Moai Better Blues because it was difficult enough (heck I thought Night of the Raving Dead was difficult too, but I just loved everything that was going on). And yeah, Culture Shock and Situation Comedy 'cos they were more introductory I thought. Though I have a somewhat soft spot for Brady Culture...
    as a villain, nothing else. XD
  • edited April 2011
    they are all great
  • edited April 2011
    1. The City That Dares Not Sleep
    2. The Penal Zone
    3. They Stole Max's Brain

Edit: My dislike of 305 has nothing to do with
    Max dying

(While I enjoyed some aspects of The Devil's Playhouse, I prefer the more challenging gameplay and non-cinematic narrative style of the earlier seasons.)
  • edited April 2011
    Aaand they continue thrashing Moai Better Blues. The episode deserves more than it gets. The gameplay is very interesting, thanks to the triangle portals and the fountain of youth. Plus, it was a very refreshing episode, really. There is a place for it in the season as a whole. As for the other mentioned episodes, I'll just say that The Tomb of Sammun-Mak was very innovative, and Reality 2.0 wasn't just incredibly inventive, challenging and well-balanced - it's BRILLIANT, and dare I say, a classic.

OK, so you want a negative Top 3? Well, if I have to choose... here goes:
    1. Culture Shock
    2. Situation: Comedy
    3. Night of the Raving Dead

As for the first two, Telltale was just warming up. And as for the third, the setting was perhaps a bit cliche dark for my taste. And I don't like rave. :D
  • edited April 2011
    I like all the games, but these will go down for me as the least nostalgic:

Season 2: Chariots of the Dogs | Moai Better Blues.
    Season 3: The Penal Zone.

Why these three? I'm not a fan of Sci-Fi, aliens, & UFOs. As for MBB; I finished it quickly & really wanted more interaction with all the stuff on the island. There was also fewer places to go, if I'm not mistaken.

I put Reality 2.0 on my Top 6, but I can see how many might not like it; it caters to nostalgic geeks like me who can instantly identify all the unsubtle retro pop culture references; either the episode gave you a nerdgasm or it left you unsatisfied.
  • edited April 2011
    I really don't see all the hate SitCom is getting. I still think it was the best they got in season 1.
  • edited April 2011
    1: The Mole the Mob and Meatball

2: Night of the Raving Dead

3: Reality 2.0

I know everyone liked Reality 2.0, but I just thought it was boring and drab.
  • edited April 2011
    Remolay wrote: »

God damn, those are two of my favourite episodes. Whatever.

I honestly have a hard time picking least favourites, every time I think of one I remember how much I enjoyed it :confused:
  • edited May 2011
    1. Situation Comedy
    2. The Mole, the Mob, and the Meatball
    3. Night Of The Raving Dead
  • edited May 2011
    i kind of liked situation comedy. It was fun going on the different shows.
  • edited May 2011
    Any that has the Soda Poppers in it...
  • edited May 2011
    Culture Shock
    Ice Station Santa
    Moai Better Blues

I hate it when children appear in Sam And Max. Max provides all the childish humor required.
  • edited May 2011
    1) Moai better blues
    2) Mole, mob, meatball
    3) Freelance police (Cause we never got to play it, what a waste of life and hope)

I should note that the alpha copy of Moai better blues that I had the privilege to play by accident while it was on gametap actually goes down by far as one of my FAVORITE episodes to date... the final released product on the other hand, well it sucks to the point of being my least favorite episode by far as well :mad:

In short it had a few more puzzles that i thought were a lot of fun, Harder versions of the others, and quite a few good one liners that were removed for one reason or another... To this date i still wish they would release that alpha as a directors cut or something
  • edited May 2011
    SubSidal wrote: »
    Any that has the Soda Poppers in it...

nah whats new beezlebub was pretty good
  • edited May 2011
    1. The Mole, The Mob and The Meatball (Very short and very formulaic, even by Season 1 standards)
    2. Moai Better Blues (Absolutely nothing wrong with the episode, just not as outstanding as the rest of Season 2)
    3. They Stole Max's Brain (Both halves of the episode felt underdeveloped and the plot screeched to a halt. I also felt let down by Sal's role when I first played, although later episodes made up for it)
  • edited May 2011
    I've played every episode except S3E5 (haven't gotten to it), and I find it so odd that people would name any of S3E1-4. Especially the first two (Penal Zone, Sammun-Mak). S3 is an adventure game that FINALLY innovates within the genre. I didn't think Telltale had it in them until I played it. The powers freshen things up and change the way puzzles are solved, and the Twilight Zone presentation is outstanding.

Sammun-Mak innovates even more with the mixed-up film reels. Really inventive storytelling/gameplay approach.

What are the elements that you guys don't like about them?
  • edited May 2011
    JuntMonkey wrote: »
    I've played every episode except S3E5 (haven't gotten to it), and I find it so odd that people would name any of S3E1-4. Especially the first two (Penal Zone, Sammun-Mak). S3 is an adventure game that FINALLY innovates within the genre. I didn't think Telltale had it in them until I played it. The powers freshen things up and change the way puzzles are solved, and the Twilight Zone presentation is outstanding.

Sammun-Mak innovates even more with the mixed-up film reels. Really inventive storytelling/gameplay approach.

What are the elements that you guys don't like about them?

The Psychic Toys were terrific and absolutely deserve to be praised as an excellent innovation in gameplay, as you say. But as the only gameplay mechanic that was fully developed, they were over-used and failed to make for consistently challenging games. The gameworlds lacked complexity, probably owing to the need to contrive situations amenable to the powers, so puzzle solutions became repetitive and obvious.

303 is the best example of this, where there were five puzzles using the "silly putty" (sorry, I've forgotten the toys' real names). Because that mechanic required the placement of a specific image in the gameworld, and there were few extraneous images that might have required the player to think about the right course of action, the solutions became glaringly obvious. Ironically, that episode had another new gameplay mechanic, the noir dialog puzzles, which should also count as a cool innovation. But it was separated from the rest of the game as a distinct sequence. If the first two segments of 303 -- noir and museum -- had been integrated, it would have required more reasoning and creativity to figure out what to do.

301 had similar problems due to the over-use of future vision. The early part of the game was great. But towards the end there was a segment that basically consisted of the following: a. visit a location that was mostly devoid of interactivity, b. solve a silly and contrived puzzle using future vision, c. listen to Sam, perhaps after using the Crimetron cop-out, explain its significance and tell you where to go next.

302 was definitely the most interesting and challenging of the episodes. But 305, wherein you no longer have the toys, was a complete disaster puzzle-wise.

It's because there were so many excellent aspects of TDP that its weaknesses are more disappointing. I really enjoyed the take-offs on different movie genres and the occasional homage to specific movies. Great writing, as usual for Telltale -- the "explanation" in 305 was brilliantly written (though it droned on a bit too long). Humor, as usual for Telltale -- another example from 305, there was a gag involving
    coinage
    that truly cracked me up. In the end, though, it boils down to my preference for games that entail exploration and challenging gameplay to those that seem overly focused on story and presentation. I just don't play games to have an on-screen narrator talk at me for extended lengths of time.
  • edited May 2011
    thom-22 wrote: »
    The Psychic Toys were terrific and absolutely deserve to be praised as an excellent innovation in gameplay, as you say. But as the only gameplay mechanic that was fully developed, they were over-used and failed to make for consistently challenging games. The gameworlds lacked complexity, probably owing to the need to contrive situations amenable to the powers, so puzzle solutions became repetitive and obvious.

303 is the best example of this, where there were five puzzles using the "silly putty" (sorry, I've forgotten the toys' real names). Because that mechanic required the placement of a specific image in the gameworld, and there were few extraneous images that might have required the player to think about the right course of action, the solutions became glaringly obvious. Ironically, that episode had another new gameplay mechanic, the noir dialog puzzles, which should also count as a cool innovation. But it was separated from the rest of the game as a distinct sequence. If the first two segments of 303 -- noir and museum -- had been integrated, it would have required more reasoning and creativity to figure out what to do.

In the end, though, it boils down to my preference for games that entail exploration and challenging gameplay to those that seem overly focused on story and presentation. I just don't play games to have an on-screen narrator talk at me for extended lengths of time.

I am in complete agreement in preferring exploration and gameplay to a focus on a linear spoon-fed "story" and dialogue. What I don't see is why you think that S1-2 were any better from that standpoint. There was just as much dialogue, often a chore to sit through. The overall presentation was just a poor man's version of S3, with not as much care and resources put into it. The puzzles as a whole were marginally harder in S1-2, but I don't feel like it's that extreme. I've been fairly satisfied with S3's puzzles, and I've played well over 100 adventure games to completion since King's Quest, so I'm no slouch.

The Tomb of Sammun-Mak itself is a bigger and better set piece/environment to explore than anything in the first two seasons. With a fully controllable and rotatable camera it would be outstanding for an adventure game.

I think that, for me, part of why S3 is better is because I'm playing it on the PS3. Long dialogue sequences and dull cinematics are significantly more tolerable when you are relaxing on the couch rather than sitting upright with your hand on a mouse. Since the game is clearly designed first and foremost as a console game, this might be a big factor.
  • edited May 2011
    season 3 was overall the best season
  • edited May 2011
    coolguy721 wrote: »
    season 3 was overall the best season

I believe Devil's Playhouse had the first symptoms of the illness BttF:tG suffers through (game design-wise), although they weren't as annoying or even apparent in it. Some levels didn't have Sam & Max's signature aspect of shitting out trivial dialouge/extra cutscene put into nearly every wrong combination of items/progress in the storyline. Some stages even had hotspot scooping, in which case you had to find THE hotspot of a puzzle in a room full of detailed, seemingly significant but unclickable stuff; while already having (and possibly knowing) the solution item in your inventory (if the puzzle includes such an item) so that you can advance forward. Hotspot scooping wasn't such a big aspect of gameplay in earlier seasons, in which case you still tried to find and guess the right hotspot to interact with, but you also had MANY other irrelevant hotspots that Sam and Max had comments on. Literally EVERYTHING seemed significant enough had AT LEAST an unique comment. Season 3 kind of lacked that and it surely affected its replay value. I played the first two seasons around 6 times each just to get everything wrong and get all the responses when 3 times was more than enough for any Season 3 episode; since all the jokes were kind of thrown into the main course of the storyline anyway. Although, they made it up by adding a tremendous value of different scenery each episode. Episode 304 had like 7 different scenes (8 if you count the different heights of Statue of Liberty, and 9 if you count the final boss). Still, this is something I realized a bit too late; I couldn't enjoy myself enough with the Season 3 because of this major flaw. It's still a great game but it's debatable that it's the best season.
  • edited May 2011
    I am in complete agreement in preferring exploration and gameplay to a focus on a linear spoon-fed "story" and dialogue. What I don't see is why you think that S1-2 were any better from that standpoint. There was just as much dialogue, often a chore to sit through. ... The puzzles as a whole were marginally harder in S1-2, but I don't feel like it's that extreme. I've been fairly satisfied with S3's puzzles, and I've played well over 100 adventure games to completion since King's Quest, so I'm no slouch.

It's not just the individual difficulty of the puzzles. It's that in S1-2, the latter especially, one got the feeling that more of them were going on at the same time; that's mostly what I mean when I talk about complexity. We were usually exposed to elements (hotspots, inventory items, visual and spoken clues) of multiple puzzles in ways that didn't telescope their eventual use.
    The overall presentation was just a poor man's version of S3, with not as much care and resources put into it.

I disagree with that characterization. While it is no doubt true Telltale had fewer resources to invest in the first two seasons, I think they were made with just as much attention to detail, albeit perhaps in a different way. The art style looked just as good, the environments were just as interesting. Season 3 was made with too much care for the non-interactive aspects of presentation.
    The Tomb of Sammun-Mak itself is a bigger and better set piece/environment to explore than anything in the first two seasons.

The Tomb of Sammun-Mak was indeed bigger than the average S&M episode. More importantly, you had access to most of its locations fairly early and could move among them -- had to move among them -- to solve the puzzles. It's the exception, though. The other Season 3 episodes might have had as many locations as those of earlier seasons, but too often they were broken up into segments or you were funneled through them for limited purpose. The interactive complexity of a gameworld is more important than its size or location count.
    With a fully controllable and rotatable camera it would be outstanding for an adventure game.

As a big fan of action-adventure games, I would certainly not be opposed to having four walls instead of three and a controllable chase camera. I don't see it as that big a deal, though, when the mode of interaction (if not the character movement) is still fundamentally point-and-click and rarely depends on precision or timing. I've always been pretty happy with Telltale's in-game camera work. (Have I read there are camera issues in BTTF? I've only played Ep. 1 so I'm not conversant with that series.)
    I think that, for me, part of why S3 is better is because I'm playing it on the PS3. Long dialogue sequences and dull cinematics are significantly more tolerable when you are relaxing on the couch rather than sitting upright with your hand on a mouse. Since the game is clearly designed first and foremost as a console game, this might be a big factor.

Where is it written that the game is intended for consoles foremost? When I sit down to play a game, long dialogue sequences and dull cinematics are just as intolerable to me regardless of where I'm actually sitting.
  • edited May 2011
    So far I have found things to enjoy in all the episodes I have played... there have been elements that I have not liked.. but for the most part I have not hated entire episodes.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.