Episode 4 is dark

2»

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Nope. I'm on the opposite side, I wouldn't call this episode "dark" at all... just slightly darker than the others.
    For me this game is too soft in general. There was so much potential for a dark/creepy atmosphere with the Citizen Brown episode but TT is keeping the game pretty toned down for rating I guess... or they just don't like or have intention of doing that type of plot.
  • What I found most intereting was how they took a very new, dark, and appealing approach to the franschise. Creating the idea that Marty has been only using Doc this whole time and how Doc must sacrifice what HE wants for Marty. Portaying Marty; instead of this energetic, heroic teen; as almost a selfish, self- centered bastard. (in a way.)
    I dont see it that way at all. If marty wanted to be selfish, he could have taken the delorean in 1955 to the future to make himself rich before saving doc. How many of us would go back to the old west to save an old man? As fun as time travel may be, thats a dangerous place.
    Qualcosa wrote: »
    Nope. I'm on the opposite side, I wouldn't call this episode "dark" at all... just slightly darker than the others.
    For me this game is too soft in general. There was so much potential for a dark/creepy atmosphere with the Citizen Brown episode but TT is keeping the game pretty toned down for rating I guess... or they just don't like or have intention of doing that type of plot.

I guess citizen brown was like the anti-biffhoric timeline; in the biff timeline, nobody is safe, even the police are owned by corrupt Biff and the most powerful person is the most dangerous. In the citizen brown timeline, littering is probably a criminal offense. I hated most of that episode until it finally did get dark near the end when we see what Edna has been up to.
  • edited August 2011
    ok im just asking but to all the people who say aw edna is heartbroken try to remember that she

TOOK OVER HILL VALLEY AND LOOK HOW MANY PEOPLE WERE SAD ABOUT WAT SHE HAD DONE UMM LOOK AT MARTYS MOM AND DAD THERE FIGHTING EACH OTHER!!! SHE TRIED TO BRAIN WASH HILL VALLEY AND DOC SHE BURNED DOWN ALL THOSE BARS AND SHE BURNED DOWN HILL VALLEY AND TRIED TO SHOOT MARTY AND DOC!!!!
  • edited August 2011
    I agree the game shows us the 'ethical side' of altering and erasing timelines and changing people's destiny's, by making one of the major characters (at least for two episodes) someone from one of the 'alternate timelines' that Marty must erase.

I could sympathise with FCB Doc's situation, but to call Marty a selfish bastard is thoroughly unjustified. Marty is trying not only to restore the 'true' versions of his parents but also save the future and happiness of ALL of Hill Valley's inhabitants.

And Edna got whatever she got from Marty coming...there is absolutely NO version of her which isn't intolerable in some way, save for the final timeline version (and I frankly think that was too 'nice' an ending for her...yeah even Biff did have a 'sort of' happy ending but even Biff didn't come across as being as evil as Edna).
  • edited August 2011
    sn939 wrote: »
    even Biff didn't come across as being as evil as Edna).
    Wait, so "having an obnoxious voice, a controlling personality, and being a tad overzealous about justice" trumps being a rapist who would commit murder to get with the woman he raped? A guy who always acts based on his own interests, very base and simple interests like "Sex booze and money", as opposed to someone who works to make things safer for everyone and just goes too far?

Part of the problem with this game's story is that it lacks the dramatic hooks that would otherwise allow this character to have some form of depth. There is a somewhat compelling basic outline here, but there is no excusing the execution. If something, someone, somewhere was made better through Edna's overzealous adherence to safety, if Emmett was happy, if the entire story wasn't such an obnoxious cop-out when it comes to the real drama that could exist at the core of this narrative, then maybe this game could have some minor aspect that has weight and value. As it is, you can chalk the story and characters up as another one of the game's many major failures. It's this complete lack of narrative and emotional depth that makes the idea that anything in this game can be called "dark" somewhat suspect at best.
  • edited August 2011
    oh yes i just for got one more thing

EDNA IS CRAZY SHE IS A COMPLETE NUT AS WAT MARTY SAYS IN EP 5 MAN ENDA WAS ALWAYS NUTS!!!!
  • edited January 2012
    But the time machine is both taken by FCB and on the fritz what with the time circuits being hours (and sometimes month) late from the original planned destination....

So there really isn't a lot of free time travel permitted, at least not until the next chapter which should be interesting.

In regards to this chapter being dark... I sorta like the approach, I mean, I DO want good ol' Doc back and Marty maintaing his cheerful demeanor but it's a cool scenario the characters are in now. I like that we get to see the point of view of someone who is not from the original timeline and their dilemma conflicting with what we as the players know is right (FCB wanting to still be with Edna vs Marty's timeline with Doc married to Clara) and I like to see how the character, primarily Marty, handle it. So yeah, it does come off as selfish the way Marty handles things, as someone pointed out that Marty has practically ruined both Young!Emmett and FCB, but at the end, he only wants to set things right for everyone, which may or may not include Edna (but we'll see by Ep.5) and after the argument he had with FCB, there was a look of guilt on his face when he continued on with the plan of splitting Emmett and Edna, almost knowingly that he's being a jerk.

Okay, I'm done ranting.

i agree there are a few parts where Marty looks gulity about what he's doing because of how he's hurting his best friend Doc
Sign in to comment in this discussion.