I want another BTTF. Who else agrees?

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Do I think BTTF the game is the best adventure game I've ever played? No. But I've found it more interesting than any of the other games that are made from BTTF (NES,SEGA). Some of the puzzles are a little simplistic which I hope Telltale doesn't make a habit of doing, but I have enjoyed this series.
  • edited May 2011
    It is the best Back to the Future game, but that's like beating a quadriplegic in a foot race.
  • edited May 2011
    I love Back To The Future. I like click and point games.(Except when you have to move the character a very long time before doing anything.) But I also like other games. I vote for a yes on a second season! I just hope there is at least 1 more time you go to than this season. Some thing that bugs me but is very small is the little area under Marty's nose and maybe Doc's nose. Its just irritating and nothing at the same time. And I would like it if it was like 5 dollars cheaper as well. I would also like more diolouge and to tell at least someone(Besides FCB) that you are from the past or future or different timeline. I also like alternate Jennifer. I would like to see more of her! I would like to see the original Jennifer as well!!!
  • edited May 2011
    Yes but I would rather have a 2nd season of "Tales of Monkey Island" first.
    The end of the first season leads me to believe that Telltale would love to do one (considering there was a cliffhanger of sorts).
  • edited May 2011
    uregobland wrote: »
    I voted yes! Of course I don't think many will vote 'no' on this forum..

I guess you guessed wrong me. Me bad.
  • edited May 2011
    I voted no. I don't dislike the game, but I don't think it's interesting or worthy enough to have another season.
  • edited May 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    I don't ever want another Telltale game even remotely close to the utter crap that this one was.

Telltale needs to go back to the type of game they were making when they made Sam and Max and Tales of Monkey Island, and abandon this casual interactive movie shit.

Telltale: Hey guys, We spent ALOT of monies on this. Hope you guys really enjoy the HARD work we put into our game.

Little shits who just can't be nice: LOL TELLTALE SUCKS. DIS GAME SUCKS SO MUCH. I HOPE YOU NEVER SPEW SHIT EVER AGAIN XD.

Also they lost all the rights to Sam and Max and Monkey Island.

backpain-1277406949.jpg
  • edited May 2011
    Also they lost all the rights to Sam and Max and Monkey Island.

LucasArts is a cruel mistress...especially when the new guy in charge decides to sever any ties to outside studios and bring everything in-house...hasn't been a decent LA game to come out in years that another studio didn't at least help on.
  • edited May 2011
    I wouldn't think it'd be a good idea, it's kind of stretching it a bit too far. If they kept doing game sequels to the movies, it just wouldn't be right.
  • edited May 2011
    Telltale: Hey guys, We spent ALOT of monies on this. Hope you guys really enjoy the HARD work we put into our game.

They spent so much money that the animations are ridiculously subpar, the texture and model quality is laughably inconsistent, there are no puzzles of any kind, and each episode is horrifyingly short.

Anyone who actually thinks this game is any good as a game is probably incompetent to the point that they actually find the kindergarten difficulty "puzzles" challenging.

PS: They still have the rights to Sam and Max.
  • edited May 2011
    They spent so much money that the animations are ridiculously subpar, the texture and model quality is laughably inconsistent, there are no puzzles of any kind, and each episode is horrifyingly short.

Anyone who actually thinks this game is any good as a game is probably incompetent to the point that they actually find the kindergarten difficulty "puzzles" challenging.

You calling me incompetent? You don't like it fine but don't insult anybody who does.
    1. Each episode is short yes, but there are 5 episodes. In total you have atleast 10 hours of gameplay.
    2. There are no puzzles you say? You sure you even played the game? Telltale are reaching out to the casual audience, as has always been the case.
  • edited May 2011
    I'd say it's pretty easy to argue that the Back to the Future games are objectively bad games, yes.
  • edited May 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    1. Each episode is short yes, but there are 5 episodes. In total you have atleast 10 hours of gameplay.

Most of which is filler content, like bland dialogue, but almost no action. But the actual episodes can be played through in much less than 2 hours each. There's just not anything interesting happening that encourages exploration of environment and dialogue.
    2. There are no puzzles you say? You sure you even played the game? Telltale are reaching out to the casual audience, as has always been the case.

Let me ask you this: What's the point of having easy puzzles, which my 2-year old niece could solve in her sleep, and a hint system where the solution is just ... given to you?
    If you're gonna have a hint system like that I don't see any reason to not make the puzzles at least semi-challenging.
  • edited May 2011

Actually no they don't.

And if you dislike Telltales work. Then **** ***. *** **** ** *** ***** ** *****
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Discussion and debate are fine, personal attacks are not. Keep it civil here.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2011
    You calling me incompetent? You don't like it fine but don't insult anybody who does.
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Discussion and debate are fine, personal attacks are not. Keep it civil here.

Wholeheartedly agreed, both of you. Some people are forgetting themselves in here. Argue against the game as much as you like (you might even find me in agreement), but attack the ones who happen to like it - you're out of line.
    Actually no they don't.

Actually, the Sam & Max rights are Steve Purcell's to lend, not LucasArts'. We have not yet heard that TTGs deal with Purcell has expired or is revoked. We have no reason to believe that this has happened. In other words: Yes, they do.
    And if you dislike Telltales work. Then **** ***. Im **** ** *** ***** ** *****

Edited you here. If you can't get along with people who happen to dislike the BTTF game, you're wrong here as well. You were reacting to Shodan's open provocation, I can see that. I could have edited the other posts above as well, but I think the direction is clear now.
  • edited May 2011

Actually, the Sam & Max rights are Steve Purcell's to lend, not LucasArts'. We have not yet heard that TTGs deal with Purcell has expired or is revoked. We have no reason to believe that this has happened. In other words: Yes, they do.

I thought I heard Lucasarts lost the rights to Sam and Max around 1999 or some thing. I remember Max being in all the MI games except four which just had a mention of Sam and Max on Pongo's card retrieval system. I hope Telltale continues there deal with Purcell.
  • edited May 2011
    Some or most of the puzzles are okay or hard.
  • edited May 2011
    VeryTori wrote: »
    Some or most of the puzzles are okay or hard.
    No, they are not.

Objectively speaking, the puzzles are stupid. There are a limited number of items, most of which don't make sense in any given scenario. Few of the puzzles even UTILIZE the inventory, and can be solved by random clicking. You can objectively say that there are rooms that can exhaust all possibilities in 12 actions. "Back to the Future's puzzles are stupid" is not an opinion, it's an objective, quantifiable fact.
  • edited May 2011
    So I take it that there will be no more Monkey Island games then, because Telltale have lost the rights? That's very disappointing. Thankfully we still have Sam and Max.
  • edited May 2011
    Then how does one measure "stupid"?
  • edited May 2011
    I like the notion presented in this thread that disliking Back to the Future The Game automatically equates with hating Telltale Games.

The fact of the matter is that, while I won't speak for everyone, I personally am so disappointed in Back to the Future because I know what Telltale's capable of. They're capable of making some pretty great games. Tales of Monkey Island and Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse are pretty awesome, and both are clear steps up in terms of both storytelling and game play from Telltale's earlier games.

Then Back to the Future comes along.

Given the fact that it's Back to the Freakin' Future, you would think that Telltale would have made sure they put something together at least on par with their previous games. Instead they have given us a full season of episodes of no-thought-required puzzles and endless dialogue.

It was mentioned that each episode is about 2 hours to play through. How much of that are you actually playing? If you go through it a second time and skip the dialogue, I can't imagine it's more then thirty minutes of game time.
  • edited May 2011
    bttf4444 wrote: »
    Then how does one measure "stupid"?
    F27xS.jpg

This is a puzzle for toddlers. As a baseline, this works because there is no mentally healthy adult on the face of the earth that could find this challenging or compelling. Toddlers can generally solve this by randomly combining shapes with holes.

When most of Telltale's puzzles make something with less combinations than this puzzle for toddlers, it can objectively be called "stupid" when the end-product is being sold to, for example, a set of people that is capable of reading and writing.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2011
    So toddlers are "stupid"? Sorry, I have to stick with non-quantifiable. :D
    So I take it that there will be no more Monkey Island games then, because Telltale have lost the rights? That's very disappointing. Thankfully we still have Sam and Max.

Whoa, whoa, easy there. ;)
    LucasArts has made a deal with TTG for the 2009 "Tales" that must have been perceived as very satisfactory on both ends. I presume that at the time, there's no actual plan for a second season, but judging from the success of the first installment, both companies would be interested in such a deal. So don't give up that hope, as this kind of announcement could be just around the corner.
  • edited May 2011
    Not relative to other toddlers. However, as you don't continue to have trouble with this puzzle past a certain point, and the game is not marketed to toddlers, it is objectively stupid relative to its target audience. If it was being marketed as a puzzle for toddlers, I'd be far less incredulous.
  • edited May 2011

Whoa, whoa, easy there. ;)
    LucasArts has made a deal with TTG for the 2009 "Tales" that must have been perceived as very satisfactory on both ends. I presume that at the time, there's no actual plan for a second season, but judging from the success of the first installment, both companies would be interested in such a deal. So don't give up that hope, as this kind of announcement could be just around the corner.
    ah right good to know. I guess after hearing that Lucasarts wanted everything in house, that made me question it. Lucasarts would be fools to turn down another series of Tales.
  • edited May 2011
    ah right good to know. I guess after hearing that Lucasarts wanted everything in house, that made me question it. Lucasarts would be fools to turn down another series of Tales.
    They later clarified that to mean "in house and existing partnerships", which may include Telltale's Monkey Island work.
  • edited May 2011
    They later clarified that to mean "in house and existing partnerships", which may include Telltale's Monkey Island work.
    ah guess I have nothing to worry about then.
  • edited May 2011
    Don't get me wrong, it's still entirely possible that LucasArts has no intention of licensing Monkey Island again, but it's also entirely possible the other way around. We have nothing to indicate what the status of it is one way or the other.
  • edited May 2011
    No, they are not.

Objectively speaking, the puzzles are stupid. There are a limited number of items, most of which don't make sense in any given scenario. Few of the puzzles even UTILIZE the inventory, and can be solved by random clicking. You can objectively say that there are rooms that can exhaust all possibilities in 12 actions. "Back to the Future's puzzles are stupid" is not an opinion, it's an objective, quantifiable fact.

Careful using words like "objectively" and "quantifiable" without defining them first. Any audience who thinks BttF's puzzles are hard probably won't understand words like that.
  • edited May 2011
    I think a CG animated Back To The Future part 4 would be perfect since all the original actors are older than they used to be. I sometimes wish BTTF was as popular as Star Wars although I have never seen Star Wars even once... *readies shield for projectiles*
  • edited May 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    Careful using words like "objectively" and "quantifiable" without defining them first. Any audience who thinks BttF's puzzles are hard probably won't understand words like that.

Attacking the fans of the game... :rolleyes:
  • edited May 2011
    No, they are not.

Well the first in episode 3 is not hard. But episode 4 puzzles are difficult and the guitar puzzles was confusing and some puzzles are hard.
  • edited May 2011
    I just love this forum so much. Its a cat fight. HSSS BTTF Game Sucks

HSSSS No it doesn't!

Don't mind me. Ill just be sittin' here... Eating popcorn *Munches on Popcorn*
  • edited May 2011
    The problem with Telltale's episodic format is that you are restricted to a certain number of rooms you can go to in each episode. This means there are only so many places where object A can go. In Monkey Island 2 part 2 you had 4 map pieces to find on three islands and you practically had to search everywhere on all three islands to get everything you need to get them. That's what made it so hard and fun.

I'm not knocking Telltale. I just notice that in their games. I've had some times where I hit snags.
  • edited May 2011
    I honestly can't imagine anyone being even remotely challenged by the puzzles in the game. Anyone who thinks BttF is hard, or that it requires any amount of thought, would probably throw themselves off a cliff in frustration if they attempted to play any old school adventure.

The Putt-Putt games are more challenging and thought provoking than BttF, and they're actually marketed to 6 year olds.
  • edited May 2011
    VeryTori wrote: »
    Well the first in episode 3 is not hard. But episode 4 puzzles are difficult and the guitar puzzles was confusing and some puzzles are hard.
    NONE of the puzzles in Episode 3 are hard. The guitar puzzle utilizes three commands in a limited number of areas. Though you can fail, the ease of retrying means that even the biggest dullard could notice the one noticeable change to the environment that it is possible to get Leech to do. While it's "more difficult" and follows a more logical curve than every other puzzle in the game, in that it requires you to do TWO ridiculously easy things within the same short span of time, that's hardly a comparison that comes out favorably.

Episode 4's puzzles were not difficult either. Some did not even require the full three hints due to their ease, and many actually shut off options as you went through them(Marty refuses to mess with three of the switches again while freeing Doc, for example). The camera also often takes control and forces itself to look at something you're supposed to go to or interact with, railroading you down a path whether or not you want it to. At one point, I was supposed to go to the courthouse. Trying to go anywhere else was painful due to the dictatorial camera, but even when I tried to go elsewhere I was beset by invisible walls, more than usual! Areas that are normally open were actually cut off in the interests of me not getting lost or, you know, doing anything at all that did not fall in line with doing exactly what I needed to do to progress in the story.
  • edited May 2011
    NONE of the puzzles in Episode 3 are hard. The guitar puzzle utilizes three commands in a limited number of areas. Though you can fail, the ease of retrying means that even the biggest dullard could notice the one noticeable change to the environment that it is possible to get Leech to do. While it's "more difficult" and follows a more logical curve than every other puzzle in the game, in that it requires you to do TWO ridiculously easy things within the same short span of time, that's hardly a comparison that comes out favorably.

Episode 4's puzzles were not difficult either. Some did not even require the full three hints due to their ease, and many actually shut off options as you went through them(Marty refuses to mess with three of the switches again while freeing Doc, for example). The camera also often takes control and forces itself to look at something you're supposed to go to or interact with, railroading you down a path whether or not you want it to. At one point, I was supposed to go to the courthouse. Trying to go anywhere else was painful due to the dictatorial camera, but even when I tried to go elsewhere I was beset by invisible walls, more than usual! Areas that are normally open were actually cut off in the interests of me not getting lost or, you know, doing anything at all that did not fall in line with doing exactly what I needed to do to progress in the story.

Dashing give credit to telltale. The difficulty of episode 4 rivals most tutorial levels. That has to mean something.
  • edited May 2011

So me and all my friends that enjoy this game are incompetent? This is ridiculous. So many in this forum have become so hostile towards any who actually ENJOY the damn game! About the only one who didn't like the game but doesn't go out of their way to make those who enjoy it feel like idiots is Falanca.
  • edited May 2011
    Anyone who thinks it is a good puzzle game for an audience that has the ability to read essentially is an idiot, though. You can quantifiably and logically compare the puzzles of these games to ones made for kindergartene-age children and younger, and the latter comes out looking favorable in terms of complexity and difficulty. When you're marketing a puzzle game to adults, having it lack the complexity and difficulty of a puzzle intended to teach motor skills and shape recognition, there is a problem and it is not, by any definition, a good game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.