Gnome Appearances [Spoilers]

I've got the feeling the Gnome Appearances puzzle answer is incorrect.. from my recollection of space thingies, the moon orbits earth in a counter-clockwise direction, but the game only accepts the answer to be given clockwise.

The answer would be correct if either you're supposed to submit the answer chronologically reversed, or the moon passed 90% of its previous orbit with each picture.

(don't pin me on this one, I know the gnomes are also part of the solution neither am I an expert on big orbiting space rocks)

earthmoonorbits.jpg
Figure 1: The directions of the orbits of the earth and moon.

source

Comments

• edited July 2011
    Imagine that Fig 1 was a photo taken from a camera in outerspace at distance X from the sun. Now imagine a similar photo taken at distance -X from the sun, on the other side. Problem solved.
  • edited July 2011
    henke37 wrote: »
    Imagine that Fig 1 was a photo taken from a camera in outerspace at distance X from the sun. Now imagine a similar photo taken at distance -X from the sun, on the other side. Problem solved.

if the view is upside down (southpole) the moon would indeed orbit clockwise. It is possible but not really common sense.
  • edited July 2011
    In space, there is no up and down :) North & South are earth-based designations. Why would pictures showing the moon revolving around the earth from the south pole be any less common-sense than one from the north pole?
  • edited July 2011
    I failed this puzzle a first time because i order the pictures in a counter-clockwise order.

Failed it a second time when i thought that maybe the gnomes were leaving earth instead of arriving.

It was at the very last that i thought on a clockwise orbit.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.