Query about the comic books (SPOILERS)

edited March 2012 in The Walking Dead
I am a bit confused. How did Julie come back as a zombie, when she wasn't even bitten. She was only shot. I have only just got to this section of the book. Is this explained later?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I think that particular issue is placed there as a revelation for the characters and the reader--you don't have to be bitten to become a zombie, you'll automatically turn after you die. I don't think it's been explained outside of that, though.
  • edited July 2011
    In the comics, it was explained that they will turn even if they werent infected, Rick later on even
    goes back and digs out Shane and he too was a zombie
  • edited July 2011
    I think that particular issue is placed there as a revelation for the characters and the reader--you don't have to be bitten to become a zombie, you'll automatically turn after you die. I don't think it's been explained outside of that, though.
    yes that's what I found very odd. I have never heard of that happening in any zombie film. Why you automatically become infected when you die is a mystery. When Shane was shot earlier on, he didn't turn.. they buried him. Wouldn't he have climbed out of his grave or something?
    Anyway I'm loving this compendium. At first I thought that maybe it might bother me that it is black and white, but it suits it well.
  • edited July 2011
    You don't become infected when you die, they are all already infected as they are living. How all society become infected, we don't know.

This infection turn people into zombies once they re dead. How much it takes for one dead person to become active again it seems to differ from people to people. For some it takes minutes, other hours, others more.
    The zombie bite, on the other hand, what it does is to produce some quick and lethal fever that eventually kills that person. And since that person was already infected it becomes a zombie.
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah.. I think the characters have talked about how they are all most likely already infected.... It would be pretty scary if you think about it.
  • edited July 2011
    Just finished compilation 1 and it was heartbreaking...very sad end.
    I've been wondering something.. Is the TV series likely to play out the same way?
    Will Lori get killed? They spared Shane, when he should have been killed by Carl, so I guess it's possible. I'm guessing they will end up at the prison.

Irishmile Edit added spoiler tags so people will not be spoiled unless they want to.
  • edited July 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    Just finished compilation 1 and it was heartbreaking...very sad end.
    I've been wondering something.. Is the TV series likely to play out the same way?
    Will Lori get killed? They spared Shane, when he should have been killed by Carl, so I guess it's possible. I'm guessing they will end up at the prison.

Irishmile Edit added spoiler tags so people will not be spoiled unless they want to.
    I don't think they
    spared Shane
    . Instead, I feel like they just postponed that event(or are changing it), as the seeds of it are really still being planted as late in the show as the last episode. Kirkman said he wants events in the comic to be surprising, so that may happen in a different time/location, or an analogous alternate event may take place.
  • edited July 2011
    yes that's what I found very odd. I have never heard of that happening in any zombie film. Why you automatically become infected when you die is a mystery. When Shane was shot earlier on, he didn't turn.. they buried him. Wouldn't he have climbed out of his grave or something?
    Anyway I'm loving this compendium. At first I thought that maybe it might bother me that it is black and white, but it suits it well.

Actually, this is how the zombies work in the original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and the other Romero zombie films. If you haven't seen them, you really should--they're awesome. :)
  • harrisonpinkharrisonpink Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    Actually, this is how the zombies work in the original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, and the other Romero zombie films. If you haven't seen them, you really should--they're awesome. :)

As well as the awesome indie film Fido which I highly recommend!
  • edited July 2011
    Yeah the Romero films are THE go to Zombie movies for anyone in doubt of the genre.

SOME of the remakes are pretty decent too. My fave of the remakes is the 1990 Tom Savini remake of the original...
  • edited July 2011
    yeah I have seen a lot of them. I'm a bit of fan of Romero's movies. I guess I always presumed that all you needed was a zombie bite. I was unaware that dying by a gun shot for example would bring them back as a zombie. Perhaps I just overlooked that fact.
    So I'm guessing that the whole world is infected and a zombie bite is just a catalyst? So the zombie affection just stays dormant until such a time, as the person actually dies or is bitten?
  • edited July 2011
    I think they mentioned it in radio and TV broadcasts in the films.
  • harrisonpinkharrisonpink Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2011
    From what I remember reading, the zombie bites don't spread the infection, they just cause an illness that has a 100% mortality rate.

Edit: Ah yes, I remember where I got that information from now
  • edited July 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I think they mentioned it in radio and TV broadcasts in the films.
    oh.. perhaps I just overlooked the minor details then. I always thought it was just the bite which turned people..On dawn of the dead, for example when that woman got shot, she didn't change or as Anna said "It's okay it's only a gunshot". Or do different rules apply to different zombie films?
  • edited July 2011
    oh.. perhaps I just overlooked the minor details then. I always thought it was just the bite which turned people..On dawn of the dead, for example when that woman got shot, she didn't change or as Anna said "It's okay it's only a gunshot". Or do different rules apply to different zombie films?

That.
  • edited July 2011
    When Shane was shot earlier on, he didn't turn.. they buried him. Wouldn't he have climbed out of his grave or something?

Maybe you haven't reached the part where Rick realizes that Shane will come back as a zombie...
  • edited July 2011
    Maybe you haven't reached the part where Rick realizes that Shane will come back as a zombie...
    Sorry I am long past it now and on volume 14. When I posted, I wasn't on that bit yet.
  • edited August 2011
    According to Amazon, volume 15 is out on Jan 10th. Still a long wait.:(
  • edited March 2012
    Well after reading the comics and watching the show I think I have read every issue now including the latest issue 94 I believe.

And the comics is really dark and gritty compared to the show I guess there are some things AMC won´t do.

But my biggest issue with the show is that slows the story down, and some episodes seem that they are doing all they can to stretch it out.

I like the show but they have just been on the farm way to long and frankly the show needs to move on before it´s gets boring.
  • Meryl Dixon is the Governor. He has a brother. He is clearly insane and violent. He actually seems to enjoy the apocalypse in a way. In the comic book series, Brian Blakely takes on his dead brother's name after he and his niece are killed by zombies. I'm telling ya, people, Meryl is the Governor in the TV show.

But we'll find out sooner or later.
  • edited March 2012
    Kirkman already said in one of the letterhacks that Merle was not the Governor.
    And besides they have already casted an actor for the role: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-governor-david-morrissey-294872
  • Ignatius wrote: »
    Kirkman already said in one of the letterhacks that Merle was not the Governor.
    And besides they have already casted an actor for the role: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-governor-david-morrissey-294872

Son of a bitch!
  • edited March 2012
    You should have know that Kirkman wasn't going to make Merle the Governor, considering Kirkman isn't in favor of bringing back a character like that because it isn't realistic.
This discussion has been closed.