Monkey Island Special Editions coming to stores (in Europe)

Comments

• edited July 2011
    No idea. And they're not developing the Old Republic, BioWare is.

so they aren't really ultra busy then are they? Perhaps they are making another special edition
  • edited July 2011
    If the sales work well with this game( in a box version, that will help I think ), we can hope a second season of ToMI or a new Special Edition of Lucasarts 90' point&click, at least I hope so.
  • edited July 2011
    You know times are hard when Lucasarts is not grinding out 5 Star Wars titles a year.
  • edited July 2011
    I didn't see any Star Wars game this year(only Lego Star Wars III), and The Old Republic will be out next year. Poor Lucasarts:(
  • edited July 2011
    I'm wondering if these'll be any different from the downloadable versions. As it's a mainstream retail release I would've thought they'll polish the games up and include some updates to the graphical mistakes and glitches, but I've got a nagging suspicion they'll just chuck them on the disc as they are...
  • edited July 2011
    I hope they make it on the first SE that you can hear voices in classic mode.
  • edited July 2011
    I hope they'll change Guybrush's hair in the first special edition, and add voices to the classic edition.
  • edited July 2011
    Since LucasArts doesn't seem to be directly involved, I can't really see them changing around Guybrush's hair or remaking the dancing monkeys opening in MI2.
  • edited July 2011
    (cross-posted from Mix 'n' Mojo)

While I really like the boxart, LeChuck looks kinda weird, and I think it's due to his pupils.

MISEC%20LeChuck%20comparison.PNG

Quick and dirty edit by me. Doesn't he look much better without the pupils?

Thankfully, this is really easy to photoshop away, so I think I'll scan the box art and print out a pupil-less version of it once the game is released.
  • edited July 2011
    The eyes don't rly bother me. I think they make him look more angry.
  • edited July 2011
    To me, the one with pupils looks more "hurr durr I'm a pie rat" than a zombie pirate, but maybe that's just me.
  • edited July 2011
    Perhaps they are making another special edition

Ahhhhahahahahahahaha haha ha ha, good 'un mate.

... oh wait, you were serious!
  • edited July 2011
    I doubt they are going to make any changes.. I would bet this is one last try to grab some cash from loyal MI fans and people who had been holding out for a physical copy... I doubt they are willing to put more manpower into that they need to.. to add things like voice to the classic version or fixing graphical errors.. Throwing art on there isn't really hard for them to do so they are doing that because they know fans that do not care if they own a disc will want that too.... so its win win for them.

Its just going to be here are the games on a disc... MONEY PLEASE.

And you know what? Its going to work I will buy it for PC and Ps3.
  • edited July 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    How come Activision is publishing it? They don't own Lucasarts do they?

Activision is LucasArts distributor in Europe. It's still a LucasArts game being published by themselves.
    Davies wrote: »
    Because LucasArts don't do anything anymore. They don't make games, they don't publish games.

Not true. They do publish many games, and recently made and published both 'The Force Unleashed' games.
  • edited July 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I doubt they are going to make any changes.. I would bet this is one last try to grab some cash from loyal MI fans and people who had been holding out for a physical copy... I doubt they are willing to put more manpower into that they need to.. to add things like voice to the classic version or fixing graphical errors.. Throwing art on there isn't really hard for them to do so they are doing that because they know fans that do not care if they own a disc will want that too.... so its win win for them.

Its just going to be here are the games on a disc... MONEY PLEASE.

And you know what? Its going to work I will buy it for PC and Ps3.

The sad thing is, same here! I'm annoyed at myself, I have these on Steam, Xbox Live, Playstation Network and even MI1 SE from Telltales Store and I'm STILL going to buy these just because it comes with some extras and has new artwork.

I mean, damn it, I laugh at Star Wars fans when they do this sort of thing, but here I am buying Monkey Island like 10x over! :p
  • edited July 2011
    Will MI 1 SE have console controls like the 2nd one had cos point and click can be awkward on console. And truth be told I like being able to move Guybrush with the joystick.
  • edited July 2011
    Personally I don't see the point in buying them twice. I already have them on steam.
  • edited July 2011
    Masta23 wrote: »
    Personally I don't see the point in buying them twice. I already have them on steam.

For the extras :p Some fans are the type to buy anything with there fave series...fans like me :D
  • edited July 2011
    coolsome wrote: »
    For the extras :p Some fans are the type to buy anything with there fave series...fans like me :D
    well I prefer digital distribution for PC games now. The amount of games I buy, it's preferable. I already have all my xbox 360 and PS3 games lol
  • edited July 2011
    awesome
  • edited July 2011
    Play.com has Monkey Island SE collection for Pre Order. and heres the list of features it has.
    • Play them again for the first time with signature Special Edition features:
    • All new re-imagined contemporary art style presented in glorious HD detail
    • Renewed music score using live instruments
    • Complete voice over that brings the story and characters to life like never before
    • Scene-for-scene hot swap between special edition and classic modes
    • Plus, an in-game puzzle hint system keeps the puzzles fresh and fun
    • Includes unique all new Special Edition features:
    • Intuitive direct-character controls provide a more interactive gameplay experience
    • Interactive object highlights provide quicker clues for useful objects
    • Scene-for-scene Creator commentary by Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer chronicling the original development of Monkey Island 2
    • Plus, an in-game art viewer provides a glimpse of the fantastic artwork generated for the classic and Special Edition games
    • Plus, special bonus content including never-before-released "making of" materials and your own Monkey Island avatar code:
    • Unreleased concept art from both original and SE versions of each game
    • Making of webdocs and CG Trailer
    • Full length remastered game soundtracks
    • Complete director commentary with Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman
    • ILM animated film storyboard
  • edited July 2011
    If this doesn't come out stateside.. I will lose all faith in humanity..
  • edited July 2011
    I pre ordered it! Heres the UK cover cos the Spanish one is the most common when you look for images.

21404336_300x300_1.jpg
  • edited July 2011
    There shouldnt be a problem with buying the UK version for PC if it isnt released outside of Europe, since PC games have no region.
  • edited July 2011
    I will do that if I have to... but I was hoping for a PS3 copy as well as a PC copy...
  • edited July 2011
    I can't wait~ :)
  • edited August 2011
    So I'm assuming since this is a European release, this would include Australia & New Zealand as well? Since we are PAL regions as well...

And it is about time the mac users get a bit of love too.

...But other than that, I'm quite happy about it all. :D
  • edited August 2011
    Monkey island Special Edition Collection for my PC and PS3, sounds awesome. But something worries me. :(

The monkey island special edition download content only had english speech, and german subtitles. I'm german. So will the retail disc version of this package finally have german speech, or only subtitles once again? That would be stupid. I mean, I own the classic versions of SOMI and Le Chucks Revenge anyway.

The HD graphics are beautiful, but thats not enough to convince me of buying that thing. I want to enjoy it, with german speech. Why should somebody rerelease a game as a remastered version/special edition, when people from foreign countries only get subtitles anyway? :eek: For me the speech seems to be the even more important reason to buy it. Even more important than the hd graphic.

Does anyone have information about that? I can't find anything. Amazon says: "Language:German"

Thats fine, but if you mean "german subtitles" i will feel cheated :mad:
  • edited August 2011
    Mit ziemlicher Sicherheit wird keine deutsche Sprachausgabe dabei sein... ich habe mal bei Norman Matt (Guybrushs deutscher Stimme) nachgefragt, und er wurde jedenfalls nicht für Sprachaufnahmen angefragt.

Seltsamerweise steht auf dem deutschen Cover "Komplett in Deutsch", was aber vermutlich nur übermäßig optimistisch oder einfach falsch war.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Seltsamerweise steht auf dem deutschen Cover "Komplett in Deutsch", was aber vermutlich nur übermäßig optimistisch oder einfach falsch war.

All right, without Norman Matt... you know, there's a third possibility. Better not think about it. That would be like Back to the Future without Sven Hasper. :D
  • edited August 2011
    Mit ziemlicher Sicherheit wird keine deutsche Sprachausgabe dabei sein... ich habe mal bei Norman Matt (Guybrushs deutscher Stimme) nachgefragt, und er wurde jedenfalls nicht für Sprachaufnahmen angefragt.

Okay, dann wirds nicht gekauft. Für mich die Enttäuschung des Jahres. :mad:

Und ich habe so oft davon geträumt wie nett es wäre, MI1 und MI2 mit Sprachausgabe zu haben. Schon seit jahren.

Dummerweise gehen sehr viele davon aus, daß es mit deutscher Sprachausgabe sein wird.

Denn.........................

Die müssen schon wissen was sie tun. Für mich ist das Täuschung am Kunden.

Ich finde es schon sehr dreist wenn man da liest, daß die neue Sprachausgabe angepriesen wird, als Teil der Erneuerung der klassischen Spiele, wenn man dann letztendlich feststellt, daß man deutschen text bekommt.
    # Sprachausgabe: Eine komplette Sprachausgabe von Mitgliedern des original Monkey Island-Teams bringt die Geschichte und die Charaktere zum Leben wie nie zuvor.

So wird es beworben. Für den deutschen handel. Da geht doch niemand davon aus, daß es englische Sprachausgabe ist. Das täuscht aber denjenigen massiv der nicht weiß, daß es lediglich englische Sprachausgabe ist.

Naja, ich werde zumindest erst mal die ersten Käuferrezensionen abwarten. Ich drücke mir selbst mal die Daumen daß es doch resynchronisiert wurde. Aber vorbestellen kommt da für mich nicht in Frage.
    ich habe mal bei Norman Matt (Guybrushs deutscher Stimme) nachgefragt, und er wurde jedenfalls nicht für Sprachaufnahmen angefragt.

Kann auch heissen, daß der Sprecher ausgetauscht wurde, würde mir auch nicht gefallen, wäre aber (insofern man einen halbwegs vernümftigen Ersatz hat) noch halbwegs zu verkraften.

Kann aber auch heissen, daß Norman Matt längst involviert ist, und die Spannung hochhält. Okay, eher unwahrscheinlich, aber man hat schon Pferde kotzen sehn.

Ich habe mal Activision direkt angefragt, mal sehn was die meinen.
  • edited August 2011
    Could you guys please post in English? At least provide an English translation/summary of your post :)
  • edited August 2011
    I will try my best. :D

Laserschwert wrote:

I'm quite sure that there won't be any german speech for the retail version of "Monkey Island Special Edition". I asked Norman Matt (the german speaker for guybrush in curse, escape and tales) and he did not know anything about it.

Strange that you can read "complete german" on the DVD-Cover, but i think thats simply false optimism.

My answer:
    Okay, dann wirds nicht gekauft. Für mich die Enttäuschung des Jahres.

Und ich habe so oft davon geträumt wie nett es wäre, MI1 und MI2 mit Sprachausgabe zu haben. Schon seit jahren.

Dummerweise gehen sehr viele davon aus, daß es mit deutscher Sprachausgabe sein wird.

Denn.........................

Okay, i won't buy it then. Thats the disappointment of the year. :mad:
    I often dreamed about, how cool it would be to have MI1 and MI2 with speech. Unfortunately, most customers believe that this version will have german speech.

Cause............
    # Sprachausgabe: Eine komplette Sprachausgabe von Mitgliedern des original Monkey Island-Teams bringt die Geschichte und die Charaktere zum Leben wie nie zuvor.

Speech: Complete speech pack with members from the original Monkey island Team, brings the story and characters to live, like never before
    Die müssen schon wissen was sie tun. Für mich ist das Täuschung am Kunden.

Ich finde es schon sehr dreist wenn man da liest, daß die neue Sprachausgabe angepriesen wird, als Teil der Erneuerung der klassischen Spiele, wenn man dann letztendlich feststellt, daß man deutschen text bekommt. So wird es beworben. Für den deutschen handel. Da geht doch niemand davon aus, daß es englische Sprachausgabe ist. Das täuscht aber denjenigen massiv der nicht weiß, daß es lediglich englische Sprachausgabe ist.

Naja, ich werde zumindest erst mal die ersten Käuferrezensionen abwarten. Ich drücke mir selbst mal die Daumen daß es doch resynchronisiert wurde. Aber vorbestellen kommt da für mich nicht in Frage.

Thats what the advertising for german retail says. So no one who reads that, recognizes, that there is only english speech. For me thats cheating on customers.

They should know what the're doing. Its quite bold to commend a "remastered" product, commending the new speech as a part of the "remake", when customers only get sublines.

I will wait for the first reviews from customers. I will definately not preorder it. But I still really really hope to find out that it will have german speech.
    Kann auch heissen, daß der Sprecher ausgetauscht wurde, würde mir auch nicht gefallen, wäre aber (insofern man einen halbwegs vernümftigen Ersatz hat) noch halbwegs zu verkraften.

Kann aber auch heissen, daß Norman Matt längst involviert ist, und die Spannung hochhält. Okay, eher unwahrscheinlich, aber man hat schon Pferde kotzen sehn.

Ich habe mal Activision direkt angefragt, mal sehn was die meinen.

That Norman Matt does't know anything about it could mean, that they changed the speaker for guybrush. I would'nt like that at all, but if they found someone good for the job it maybe could be better than nothing.

Also it could mean that Matt is already involved in the project, but he doesn't want to spoil the suspense.

Unfortunately the most probable thing seems to be, no german speech

I wrote an email to activision, hoping to get some facts
  • edited September 2011
    Sweet. Would make up not getting LR:SE from TTG.

Let's hope they get it here too. Or have to ship it too from the UK.
    Release date known?
  • edited September 2011
    Sweet. Would make up not getting LR:SE from TTG.

Let's hope they get it here too. Or have to ship it too from the UK.
    Release date known?

According to CDON.com, the game will be released on September 9th, aka in five days.
  • edited September 2011
    Well the collection is out in Europe this Friday, who will be buying on first day release? I assume most will be buying the PC version which on all sites are selling for £7.99.
  • edited September 2011
    Well the collection is out in Europe this Friday, who will be buying on first day release? I assume most will be buying the PC version which on all sites are selling for £7.99.

I got an answer from Activision. Even these people don't know if there is german speech or not. They said i should ckeck that at the store. :p

So i will go to the store to check it out. If there is german speech i will buy it 2 times, for ps3 and for pc. If there is no german speech i won't buy anything.

Thats the way companies loosing their customers. :rolleyes:

The courious thing is, people from the states complain, that this is only an european release, and people in europe seem to get no speech localisation. Exept from the UK. Totally dumb.
  • edited September 2011
    Preordered the PC version today! This is so exciting! :)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2011
    Alex IDV wrote: »
    Preordered the PC version today! This is so exciting! :)

Right, exiting it is in every case. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.