Would you guys like it if they took the same art direction as TSL?

edited September 2011 in Kings Quest Game
Like, if the game looked like TSL does (except obviously not as blocky on some parts, since this would be professionally made)? I personally wouldn't mind.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    No, I wouldn't want it to copy TSL's art style.
  • edited September 2011
    no... TSL is a nice effort but obviously a fan game.
  • edited September 2011
    You mean regarding TSL's approach to realism rather than cartoon? In that regard I see it as the same way as Jurassic Park, except obviously TSL doesn't have the resources to put together graphics of that quality. I'd welcome that style.
  • edited September 2011
    TSL looks too much like The Sims to me. It's good-looking for a fan game, but it doesn't look professional.
  • edited September 2011
    I personally want an art direction which is something like KQ5 with high resolution graphics. Think KQ5 but made with today's technology.

Or, something like The Whispered World would be cool.

Finally, I'd take something that looked kinda like Phantasmagoria or the early screenshots of KQ8.
  • edited September 2011
    If they released something that looked as dated as the early KQ8 graphics the game would be critically panned... That just wouldn't cut it professionally.

2d cutout trees are very old technology. The current games allow for much higher poly counts on every item.

Nah either I want full 3D (in the bounds of the telltale engine) or high resolution classically drawn 2D/2.5D style (which can also be handled in the telltale engine to a degree).
  • edited September 2011
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Nah either I want full 3D (in the bounds of the telltale engine) or high resolution classically drawn 2D/2.5D style (which can also be handled in the telltale engine to a degree).

Yeah, either works for me. As long as it's not cartoon-y.
  • edited September 2011
    I like the silver lining but one thing really annoys me: Why the world of KQ6? I really liked the end of Episode 3 because we were finally getting places. Oh almost forgot: What's that nonsense about Manannan?
  • edited September 2011
    KQ6 was a favorite game of a lot of us, and one of most popular installments in the series. So starting it there made sense for us--we liked it, it's good fanservice, and we still had plenty of room to add new locations, characters, etc.

As for Mannanan, well, spoilers! But since Episode 4 is coming out next month, you just may find out more soon.... :)
  • edited September 2011
    I believe by nonsense about Manannan he is referring to the idea that he is the father of Valanice?
  • edited September 2011
    I think the art style of TSL is quite wonderful. Especially for an amateur production. I think this style, with some professional polish, would look very nice.

Bt
  • edited September 2011
    Please, people. Look up the meaning of the phrase "art direction" before responding to this thread. *facepalm*
  • edited September 2011
    Main Entry: art direction
    Part of Speech: n
    Definition: the management of the artistic and design elements of a project, esp. in film, television, advertising, or publishing; the work of an art director
    Example: Art direction is very important in today's music videos.
    Etymology: 1875

Considering that having the art director from TSL working on this game, is very unlikely. I suspect the original poster really meant 'art style'.

I do not want the TSL art director anywhere near this game (although I suppose he/she does a decent enough job, based on what he/she has to work with)...

I also don't want the art style either...

Graham's hat looks way too long and over exaggerated... for example...

Alexander looks like he has an anime hairdo...

The Ferryman looks nothing like his counterpart in KQ6...

Actually I'd say many of characters do not look anything like their counterparts...

Hopefully though TSL game won't be KQ6 part II (again), and won't try to reinvent the appearances of half of KQ series entire cast...
  • edited September 2011
    The things you're nitpicking aren't anything to do with the general art style, merely the art direction. I believe the poster only meant the style as in the realistic proportion stuff as opposed to Telltale's trademark exaggerated character style.
  • edited September 2011
    No.

For it to be realistic as in TSL would seem to me to remove the fantastical nature of the overall appearance of certain characters and settings.

Think of it this way: what if any of KQ1-5 were realistic in art style? I wouldn't like that at all.

For the record, I have only played a small bit of TSL, and didn't like the way it looked that much. Now that someone says that it tries to make Manannan out to be Valanice's father... well, I don't think I'll ever play it now.
  • edited September 2011
    What I meant by my comment was that many people were complaining about TSL's technical limitations (i.e. low polygon counts, low res textures, choppy animations, high school writing, etc.) as though that was an art direction issue. Technical complexity and art direction are two entirely different things.

That said, I am not a huge fan of TSL's art direction either. As Baggins pointed out, the character designs tend to lean a little TOO far toward the anime-inspired end for my liking. (Even the SLIGHTEST lean toward anime is too much for my liking.) I wouldn't mind if Telltale took a slightly cartoonish approach with their characters, but I wouldn't want it as exaggerated as BttF. I wouldn't want the gritty look of Jurassic Park either, though. The JP character designs look very bland and cookie-cutter to me, kinda like Dragon Age Origins characters.

In my opinion, there is a very simple formula that Telltale should try to duplicate. Simply look at the cutscene paintings from KQ5, and turn them into 3D characters and settings. That style should be mimicked as closely as humanly possible. Sierra never surpassed it, and Telltale doesn't have the skills to successfully fuck with it.
  • edited September 2011
    Lambonius wrote: »
    What I meant by my comment was that many people were complaining about TSL's technical limitations (i.e. low polygon counts, low res textures, choppy animations, high school writing, etc.) as though that was an art direction issue. Technical complexity and art direction are two entirely different things.

That said, I am not a huge fan of TSL's art direction either. As Baggins pointed out, the character designs tend to lean a little TOO far toward the anime-inspired end for my liking. (Even the SLIGHTEST lean toward anime is too much for my liking.) I wouldn't mind if Telltale took a slightly cartoonish approach with their characters, but I wouldn't want it as exaggerated as BttF. I wouldn't want the gritty look of Jurassic Park either, though. The JP character designs look very bland and cookie-cutter to me, kinda like Dragon Age Origins characters.

In my opinion, there is a very simple formula that Telltale should try to duplicate. Simply look at the cutscene paintings from KQ5, and turn them into 3D characters and settings. That style should be mimicked as closely as humanly possible. Sierra never surpassed it, and Telltale doesn't have the skills to successfully fuck with it.

Amen.
    kq5vga3o.png
    kq5vga1.png
    kq5cd1l.png
    kq5cd1n.png
    Though I do have a big fondness for KQ7's art style.
  • edited September 2011
    That's what I was saying (sans the KQ7 comment).
  • edited September 2011
    Even the close up scenes in KQ6 are glorious!

I really like that style.

Actually, I would absolutely love it if Telltale went for a 2D/2.5d in a KQ5/KQ6 style, with high definition artwork (just think what KQ5 and KQ6 would look like in high resolution).
  • edited September 2011
    Telltale, if you're reading, this is what we want:
    Actually, I would absolutely love it if Telltale went for a 2D/2.5d in a KQ5/KQ6 style, with high definition artwork (just think what KQ5 and KQ6 would look like in high resolution).
  • edited September 2011
    I also want the option to buy it for Nintendo 3DS for kicks!
  • edited September 2011

Agreed. My thoughts exactly.

also this:

WingedOnesKQ6.png

xhUg7.png

kq6lorddead1.png

GU5rN.jpg
  • edited September 2011
    Now see, the thing is--I don't include the cutscene graphics from KQ6, because honestly, many of them aren't true illustrations in the manner of the KQ5 paintings. Many of the KQ6 cutscenes are just digitized images of actors in cheesy costumes with lame, detail-less backgrounds. They honestly look dated and ugly to me--kinda like the digitized actor sprites from the original Mortal Kombat. The KQ5 screens on the other hand, are true works of art, fully fleshed out paintings loaded with detail and packed with a distinctive visual style reminiscent of any of the best high fantasy illustrators out there. I like KQ6 graphics, but they just don't have that timeless quality for me.
  • edited September 2011
    Even Sierra admitted that more money went into developing KQ6's story than it did the art. I forget where I read this but yeah.
    Compare the graphics of KQ5 to KQ6. Same graphics system yes, but the backgrounds in KQ5 are detailed to the most minute degree, every little blade of grass...The backgrounds in KQ6 are not nearly as well detailed, nor as vibrantly colored. And that's because the focus was more on the story than the world.
  • edited September 2011
    I tend to consider Graham's sprite and walking animations from KQ5 much smoother and more polished than Alex's from KQ6.
  • edited September 2011
    I tend to consider Graham's sprite and walking animations from KQ5 are much smoother and more polished than Alex's from KQ6.

Yeah Alex's sprite always struck me as a little clunkier, and his walking feels more "linear" somehow. I can't explain it. With Graham it actually feels like you're controlling him. With Alex, it has the same sort of effect that moving Adrian around in Phantas does. Like a cinematic-ness to it that takes away from the feeling of control over the character.
  • edited September 2011
    Mind you kQ6 artwork is less static because many of the elements are animated sprites over the background. Arms, legs, faces, bodies. Look at those images in the files and you see hat the arwork is incomplete to allow for the animated elements.

KQ5 had less animation, it's more static background.

Thus Kq6 backgrounds are technologically superior, although it came at a cost to visual quality.

An example is the above pic of winged ones... In the game it has an additional sprite and animations for Alexander in the foreground. Azure's arm is a sprite, he is armless in the artework. Allaria has no left hand. The hand is another sprite.

Similar thing occurs with the oracle. In re arwork she has no arms, and Alexander is a separate sprite.
    Yeah Alex's sprite always struck me as a little clunkier, and his walking feels more "linear" somehow. I can't explain it. With Graham it actually feels like you're controlling him. With Alex, it has the same sort of effect that moving Adrian around in Phantas does. Like a cinematic-ness to it that takes away from the feeling of control over the character.

That's because KQ6 and Phantas used the same technology. Live actors and green screen, with motion capture for some elements.
  • edited September 2011
    Mind you kQ6 artwork is less static because many of the elements are animated sprites over the background. Arms, legs, faces, bodies. Look at those images in the files and you see hat the arwork is incomplete to allow for the animated elements.

KQ5 had less animation, it's more static background.

Thus Kq6 backgrounds are technologically superior, although it came at a cost to visual quality.

That's because KQ6 and Phantas used the same technology. Live actors and green screen, with motion capture for some elements.

So technically in some ways, KQ6 was actually Roberta's first foray into interactive movies....Sort of a testing ground for Phantas. I know in the Making of KQ6 she says she feels that in her games you're basically playing a movie in which you're the director, the actor and the audience all at the same time. You could see the ideas for Phantasmagoria, and for making games a truly cinematic experience were bubbling in her mind around this time and Ken too as early as 1990 or so was pushing more and more for games to become interactive movies.

He was much more optimistic in the late 80s/early-mid 90s. He felt that games would become on par with movies and literature as ART...By the late 90s, around the time of the sale to CUC, he seems sort of dejected, and doesn't refer to games as interactive stories or movies anymore but as simply games; entertainment, not art.
  • edited September 2011
    I know in the Making of KQ6 she says she feels that in her games you're basically playing a movie in which you're the director, the actor and the audience all at the same time. You could see the ideas for Phantasmagoria, and for making games a truly cinematic experience were bubbling in her mind around this time and Ken too as early as 1990 or so was pushing more and more for games to become interactive movies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwBeQvSUBg4

quote is at @ 3:38
  • edited September 2011
    Graham moved his arm in a closeups at the beginning and ending of KQ5, but yeah, generally there's not much movement. But KQ6 doesn't have THAT much more.
  • edited September 2011
    In KQ6 there are generally 4-5 things that move. Generally marked by incomplete painting if you rip the painting from the files. This is one of the reasons why the quality suffered.

Plus Alexander is usually a separate individual sprite/s placed on top of the painting. Shamir is a separate sprite as well in many if the close up screens as well.

KQ5 had one or two things that moved maybe an arm and facial features.

Some scenes like the closeup of Alexander putting ring on Cassima's hand are partial green screen work that were apparently either hand painted over or digitally painted over. One claim is that one of the actors who played Alexander had long blond hair, they had to fix it. Others they repainted to try make it have the same style.
  • CezCez
    edited September 2011
    Of course, I'm biased, but I wouldn't mind seeing Telltale's game taking a next gen take at this look:

tsl-ep3-001SM.jpg

tsl-ep3-002SM.jpg

tsl-ep4-001SM.jpg

tsl-ep4-002SM.jpg
  • edited September 2011
    dang it, Cez!

resize your images for crying out loud....
  • CezCez
    edited September 2011
    There that should be better. Still a bit big, but they are not overblown.
  • edited September 2011
    One thing I've always really liked about TT's games, from the first Sam & Max series, is that the camera in most scenes is just about horizontal to the characters, often at a near-constant distance, and fairly close so that the characters are appropriately sized on the screen. Occasionally, the camera moves up of course to show more in larger spaces, or closer in for more confined spaces. But it's still quite a contrast from how LucasArts did 3D; I remember quite a few scenes in Grim Fandango where Manny was but a speck as the camera went high overhead.

The downside of this is that you don't get many wide open spaces. Telltale's games often have an east-west orientation to them, and not a lot of north-south. When Guybrush moves from the docks of Flotsam into the jungle, there's kind of a disconnect, the camera jumping from one parallel line to the next (though the jungle did have paths in four directions, as part of a puzzle or two).

So I look at that shot of King Graham on a horse in a vast cavern with mixed feelings. On the one hand, I hate to see the game character so small, but at the same time I'd love to explore a huge cavern (assuming there's interesting stuff to do in there). Is that shot from a cut-scene, or does the player have control of that horse? Is the cavern something the player gets to explore, or just a "photo-op"?
  • CezCez
    edited September 2011
    It's a cutscene prior to an arcade sequence where you get attacked by some shadow monsters. The camera pulls closer on for the gameplay section, looking something like this:

http://www.postudios.com/blog/?attachment_id=969

We do have a WIDE area in Episode 4 that pulls back significantly, and that is the Maze of the Isle of the Beast, where you get to explore the majority of what we created for it (which is a very large area). It used to be mostly desolated, but when we broke the episodes and started to add content to the isles, I decided to fill it with puzzles and different things to find. I'm quite happy with how it feels now having just taken a full pass through it.

I normally like to be closer to the character, but when there's opportunity to explore big areas, it's cool to pull back.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm bias
    Hi Bias, nice to meet you.
  • CezCez
    edited September 2011
    Hi Bias, nice to meet you.

Heh... :P
  • edited September 2011
    And the TSL self-promotion machine revs back into high gear! ;)
  • edited September 2011
    And the TSL self-promotion machine revs back into high gear! ;)

:D Tis truly shameless.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.