Ken and Roberta donated all the archives to video game museum

edited September 2011 in Kings Quest Game
Basically, this post from Gamasutra will explain everything. Discuss, I guess :)

Comments

• CezCez
    edited September 2011
    Farlander wrote: »
    Basically, this post from Gamasutra will explain everything. Discuss, I guess :)

ahhhhhh I want!
  • edited September 2011
    Now I've got to take a trip up to Rochchester.
  • edited September 2011
    I live about an hour away. I'm going.

Bt
  • edited September 2011
    Get as many digital pictures as possible!
  • edited September 2011
    I wish they realesed some stuff (Design Docs, etc ...) digitally as well. Like Tim Schafer did with grim Fandango's design document.
  • edited September 2011
    Here is one page of KQ8 notes they released to the community a while back;
    http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/File:PrelimKQ8.jpg

If you want lots of stuff for KQ7, the Roberta Williams collection has hundreds of images of concept art, storyboards, etc for the game.

I've uploaded some of it already;
    http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/KQ7_development

There are four additional things towards the top that Roberta gave to the fans for KQ7 in the past (these include a couple of map notes).

One of the more interesting bits; A semi-nude image of Rosella, with notes discussing how Rosella's breasts and body should appear in the game.
    640px-RoselladesignKQ7.jpg
  • edited September 2011
    *snicker* Boobies.
  • edited September 2011
    Not appropriate image for some places (sarcasm)!
  • edited September 2011
    It's just a figure study; the nudity really has nothing to do with it. When designing and animating characters, you have to do these studies. I'm sure there's "nudie" pics of Belle and Jasmine from those Disney Flicks in the ole Archives too.

Bt
  • edited September 2011
    It's just a figure study; the nudity really has nothing to do with it. When designing and animating characters, you have to do these studies. I'm sure there's "nudie" pics of Belle and Jasmine from those Disney Flicks in the ole Archives too.

Bt

This. Although I'm sure Baggins knows it. For those who don't these are key ways of determining figure and movement.
  • edited September 2011
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    Here is one page of KQ8 notes they released to the community a while back;
    http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/File:PrelimKQ8.jpg

If you want lots of stuff for KQ7, the Roberta Williams collection has hundreds of images of concept art, storyboards, etc for the game.

I've uploaded some of it already;
    http://kingsquest.wikia.com/wiki/KQ7_development

There are four additional things towards the top that Roberta gave to the fans for KQ7 in the past (these include a couple of map notes).

One of the more interesting bits; A semi-nude image of Rosella, with notes discussing how Rosella's breasts and body should appear in the game.
    640px-RoselladesignKQ7.jpg
    Interesting ... Thought I can't see them since I haven't finished KQ1(AGI) yet!
    I was mainly talking about the early games' documents
  • edited September 2011
    Ken has said Roberta's design documents run around 500 pages long, especially in the later games. A person who worked with him back around 2003 as his site administrator and a co-worker with Talkspot saw the stuff and said the assessment was correct:

Ken: "Every Sierra designer had a different style, but, generally, they all produced HUGE design documents. Roberta's designs were usually 500 to 1,000 pages.
    Typically, there were distinct steps to the design of the adventure games.
    1) A two page story idea
    2) A map showing the locations
    3) A longer design document - perhaps 30-40 pages
    4) Artists would get involved at this point
    5) Character sheets - to show each character
    6) Pencil sketches of each location
    7) A much longer design document - perhaps 500 or more pages
    For the 3d games we did later, it was even more complex."

An early KQ8 design note by Roberta:
    8529.jpg
  • edited September 2011
    Whoa. That's crazy. Roberta's handwriting looks almost IDENTICAL to mine. Strange sense of deja vu when looking at that note. I'll see if I can post a hand-writing comparison a little later. I've actually never had that happen before--seen someone with identical handwriting to my own. Weird.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.