Back to the future franchise dead?

Hello there telltale forum members I want to make this thread to make a point about something now telltale fans who are here because of sam and max TOMI etc, Shouldnt reply or read futher because I am very sure I am going to anger them with some of the stuff coming up... Now I will get to the point.

Of course most of you have seen back to the future and as good as it is, it seems to be dying out here's why I think that:

1. Films like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars or Jurassic Park have had lots of games whilse Back to the future has not, but when Telltale made the recent one they messed up let me explain my point, The graphics were rubbish and made it look like a kids cartoon more than a game about a film for adults, and even worse is they went and delayed Jurassic park to make it a whole level better, what do Telltale prefer Jurassic park? If they do I dont see a reason to make one game better and on more consoles and better graphics etc and have the other game made cheaply and quickly... Also it seems Telltale prefer using voice actors, for example tom wilson now I know that it wasnt completley there fault but after they learnt tom didnt mind being in the game they still went ahead and got a terrible voice actor which if you read his info on the bttf page he has worked in other games for them so it means they didnt even try doing auditions to find a 'better' Biff Tannen.

Now to extend all this is the point of companys they cant even be botherd to buy the rights to companys like nike or pepsi which was always being shown in the films, also in episode 1 Jcpenny = Jcpennie...WTF, now I know it would of been pointless since it was only there for a few miniutes of the game but still it makes no sense that in the film it's jcpenny and then six monthes later the company turn it into Jcpennie.

2. Lego. Now when I talk about lego I already know why they will not make a Back to the future lego set or game but still it seems unfair that films which are rubbish get a lego back to the future.

3. Blu-ray. Back to the future eventually got released onto Blu-ray but only just, people had to lietrally protest for a blu-ray release while films like star wars get them really easily.

4. It seems everything to do with back to the future is being ripped up thrown out and ripped more, of course im talking about the ride.

I dont see how it is fair that a fantastic film can be so coldley abondoned.
If you have heard a star wars ride has been opened in disneyland, hardly fair!!!

If you still think the back to the future franchise is doing well except from the fact nike made some shoes which look like the ones in part 2. Then I dont know how to convince you that back to the future will be in the dust in another 10-20 years whilse films like avatar (which is overated) or star wars will be still living on with some crappy new tv show which completley erases the point of the films.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    also the everytime star wars re-releases theres always more changes
  • edited September 2011
    Then I dont know how to convince you that back to the future will be in the dust in another 10-20 years whilse films like avatar (which is overated) or star wars will be still living on with some crappy new tv show which completley erases the point of the films.

I would argue that you should be glad to let Back to the Future just be what it was, which was awesome, and let it go.

As you said, Star Wars is still living on, but it pales in comparison to what it used to be. It's just a way to squeeze money out of the public these days, there is no integrity to it. Lucas regularly makes changes to the movies we love. The video games and cartoon series and books crap all over continuity that came previously for no reason.

Is that what you WANT Back to the Future to become? Do you want it to keep going forever? How many time travel adventures can Doc and Marty realistically have before it gets watered down and corny?

A franchise shouldn't go on forever.
  • edited September 2011
    Scnew wrote: »
    How many time travel adventures can Doc and Marty realistically have before it gets watered down and corny?
    Apparently around three. Note the examples of crappy stories in the franchise as it is, such as the cartoon or the Telltale game.
    Doctor Who seems to be doing well overall. For its intended audience, Sesame Street continues to give solid output, considering the toddlers I know seem to enjoy it and continue to learn their numbers and letters quite well. =P
  • edited September 2011
    Is that what you WANT Back to the Future to become? Do you want it to keep going forever? How many time travel adventures can Doc and Marty realistically have before it gets watered down and corny?

I didnt say that and star wars is and its going very well for the star wars fans and it's not just star wars it's lotr is getting a sequal or was it a prequal well anyway lotr is ok but it's for geeky people who like to dress up as elves and like to sacrifice lambs in the name of gandolf or some crazy shit.

Star wars, I mean really do I have to actully explain that, if you have ever gone outside to a shop then you will know what im talking about.

Back to the future is the greatest out of all three but yet it has had the least amount of stuff and fans (check out the offical movie pages of all the films i listed on facebook and tell me which one has the least amount and if you really cant be assed to check it out yourself i will post it now *back to the future has the least amount of fans*)
  • edited September 2011
    I'm not really sure what your point is, then. You do or you don't want there to be more Back to the Future crap?
  • edited September 2011
    I'm not really sure what your point is, then. You do or you don't want there to be more Back to the Future crap?

so you think back to the future is crap?

And yes i want a decent respectfull game now i didnt say this but i think telltale are a great games company but they shouldnt be making a game for such a brilliant franchise like back to the future... EA or sommat should make it because EA did really well at making james bond games and they made a sequal to my favourite james bond film in game format and the story and gameplay was fantastic so i have complete faith in them if they somehow got there hands on the back to the future franchise in fact they would bring it back out of its deep sleep.
  • edited September 2011
    "Back to the Future continuations tend to be awful" does not automatically equate to the macro "All continuations are awful".
  • edited September 2011
    Obviously we want more Back to the Future non-crap.
  • edited September 2011
    also i found out today that a bttf part 4 and 5 was being planned in 94-95 but when someone set fire to the backlot they gave up.

Im not sure this is is true as bob gale denys them ever planning 4 but then he is a bit blunt when it comes to bttf 4 questions.

but still imagine if this had happend imagine what would be happening now hell i wouldnt be on here because universal would be asking a games company that respects back to the future instead of telltale who just want to change what kind of games they sell and boost there companys profit.
  • edited September 2011
    ok rather dashing i want u to tell me which of these 2 pictures is the better game and see how much u think bttf the game is

Rockvillian&docid=nuZxXdmgB0wwVM&w=468&h=410&ei=w0h2Tv6mDIiy8QOnr538DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=279&vpy=136&dur=1243&hovh=210&hovw=240&tx=117&ty=120&page=1&tbnh=127&tbnw=146&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&biw=1366&bih=614

&docid=6DwphxO_uNhr3M&w=640&h=361&ei=7Eh2TrmdCtS18QOP-OznDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1024&vpy=160&dur=2461&hovh=168&hovw=299&tx=75&ty=86&page=1&tbnh=133&tbnw=193&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&biw=1366&bih=614

game.php%3Fid%3D13642&docid=QIry_jbcdQDwqM&w=200&h=200&ei=KEl2TrXSEZCs8QPV18DKDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=543&vpy=161&dur=4908&hovh=160&hovw=160&tx=27&ty=61&page=1&tbnh=128&tbnw=128&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0&biw=1366&bih=614

tell me now wats better
  • edited September 2011
    What I'm trying to say is that all franchises, particularly about one specific story or set of characters, seem to either a) get boring and fizzle out, or b) become nigh-unrecognizable. Doctor Who is the exception, not the rule. Nine times out of ten, resurrecting a dead franchise just doesn't work. Look at the often rumored Ghostbusters 3. I mean, does anyone really expect it to live up to the first one?

I don't really want either of those fates for Back to the Future or Ghostbusters. (Or Star Wars for that matter, but it's too late there.) I'd rather just have three movies that I love then have more and more and more thrown at me until I just don't care anymore. Let it just remain a couple classic movies that people will look on fondly, don't run it into the ground.

Besides, EA doesn't make adventure games. Unless you wanted Back to the Future: The First Person Shooter, Back to the Future: The RPG, or Back to the Future: The Action Platformer. Adventure games are really the only genre that lends itself to the kind of story Back to the Future tells. Marty doesn't run around shooting people, leveling up, or collecting power-ups. And while I agree that I think the game is not exactly top-notch, it's hard to argue against the idea that a couple years ago Telltale seemed like a great choice for it.
  • edited September 2011
    ok rather dashing i want u to tell me which of these 2 pictures is the better game and see how much u think bttf the game is

Rockvillian&docid=nuZxXdmgB0wwVM&w=468&h=410&ei=w0h2Tv6mDIiy8QOnr538DQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=279&vpy=136&dur=1243&hovh=210&hovw=240&tx=117&ty=120&page=1&tbnh=127&tbnw=146&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&biw=1366&bih=614

&docid=6DwphxO_uNhr3M&w=640&h=361&ei=7Eh2TrmdCtS18QOP-OznDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1024&vpy=160&dur=2461&hovh=168&hovw=299&tx=75&ty=86&page=1&tbnh=133&tbnw=193&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0&biw=1366&bih=614

game.php%3Fid%3D13642&docid=QIry_jbcdQDwqM&w=200&h=200&ei=KEl2TrXSEZCs8QPV18DKDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=543&vpy=161&dur=4908&hovh=160&hovw=160&tx=27&ty=61&page=1&tbnh=128&tbnw=128&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0&biw=1366&bih=614

tell me now wats better

Arguing that the new game is good because it's better than the NES game is like arguing that vomit is delicious because it's better than eating a turd.
  • edited September 2011
    Besides, EA doesn't make adventure games. Unless you wanted Back to the Future: The First Person Shooter, Back to the Future: The RPG, or Back to the Future: The Action Platformer. Adventure games are really the only genre that lends itself to the kind of story Back to the Future tells. Marty doesn't run around shooting people, leveling up, or collecting power-ups. And while I agree that I think the game is not exactly top-notch, it's hard to argue against the idea that a couple years ago Telltale seemed like a great choice for it.

Ea could make a adventure game and not some shitty point and click the toaster oven to gets docs plutonium supply to put in einsteins but.

telltale sucked at making this game and theres no buts its as simple as they screwed up and someone else should make the game who actully has seen the movies and knows what back to the future fans want instead of just adding failed puzzles which dont fit in at all.

if they had added more puzzles like where you have to put that light bulb thing in the delorean instead of guess who and then run over to the courthouse and give young doc a piece of paper which says this puzzle sucks on it then it would of been better.

EA make exciting fast paced games and could easily adapt to adventure games for the sake of back to the future but telltale will always make crap when it comes to back to the future.
  • edited September 2011
    Arguing that the new game is good because it's better than the NES game is like arguing that vomit is delicious because it's better than eating a turd.

yeah but the guy criticsizes everything in the game he has said it like 100 times that he hates the game on different threds even a telltale person said to someone on a sam and max therd that we get u didnt like the game but u dont need to keep posting it over and over and im not sure if this was exactly wat he said but it was something like it
  • edited September 2011
    Warning, warning! Troll detected. Please put your food away..
  • edited September 2011
    dute im not a troll i just dont like it when a person criticsizes everything about a game it would be different if there was no effort put in the game put telltale like every other game they made did put effort in it
  • edited September 2011
    so you think back to the future is crap?

And yes i want a decent respectfull game now i didnt say this but i think telltale are a great games company but they shouldnt be making a game for such a brilliant franchise like back to the future... EA or sommat should make it because EA did really well at making james bond games and they made a sequal to my favourite james bond film in game format and the story and gameplay was fantastic so i have complete faith in them if they somehow got there hands on the back to the future franchise in fact they would bring it back out of its deep sleep.

Are you fucking insane? Fuck EA. If EA got there hands on the Back to the Future liscense, chances is are it would be handled by EA bright light studios. then we'd probobaly get some rip-off call of duty like game with some chessy story-line ripped from the fims for a $49.99 game, and the game will probobaly be 3 hours long.

Which happened to another great franchise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGKOgJEsRWI

I don't want some chessy movie cash-in crap, I want something good.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited September 2011
    First things first: are you the same generalcabdriver45 who's looking forward to the Deluxe Edition?
    From your posts in this thread, I really can't figure out why...
    Let's clarify a couple of things: I am a fan of Telltale's games (bought Bone in 2005, back when the download cost $19.99, and bought pretty much all of their games after that, most of them as pre-orders) and of the Back to the Future movies.
    As for Back to the Future: The Game, I will be the first (OK, not the first, that would probably be Rather Dashing ;)) to admit that it is far from Telltale's finest hour.
    Don't get me wrong: I loved the story, the acting, the music, and even the graphics, but the minimal interactivity/difficulty makes it hard for me to call it a "game" with a straight face.
    However, I have no doubt that the "game" Telltale released is very close to what Universal expected when they agreed to let Telltale make it.
    After all, if you're a big company (like Universal) with huge franchises (say Back to the Future or Jurassic Park) and you expect to make a bit of money with said franchises, you will probably take a look at the previous output of the company you're planning to associate with (let's see... who are those Telltale fellows and what games did they make before? Bone: point-n-click adventure game; Sam & Max: point-n-click adventure game; Strong Bad: point-n-click adventure game; Wallace & Gromit: walk-n-click adventure game; Tales of Monkey Island and The Devil's Playhouse: click-n-drag adventure games,... no, I don't see a pattern...).
    Additionally, you are probably going to let those Telltale people know that you expect a certain number of sales (meaning: make sure the game can be played by people who don't know point from click) in order to possibly have a continuing partnership.
    If you look at other threads in this forum, I bet that you will find more happy than unhappy people (it just looks like more unhappy people because Rather Dashing is everywhere!:D). You will probably also notice that amongst those happy people, there are probably more non-point-and-click gamers than point-and-click gamers, which means that Telltale probably did exactly what Universal was expecting from them.
    One final point: in a previous post, you mention that Telltale just wants to change what games they make and boost their profit and that Universal should have asked a company that respects Back to the Future.
    IMHO, Telltale showed a great respect to the Back to the Future franchise (I think that the game fits right in with the Back to the Future series), like they do all their franchises and find it kind of funny that most (all?) of your suggestions for alternate developers are Electronic Arts, a company who probably doesn't think in terms of profits :rolleyes:.
  • edited September 2011
    Ea could make a adventure game and not some shitty point and click the toaster oven to gets docs plutonium supply to put in einsteins but.

telltale sucked at making this game and theres no buts its as simple as they screwed up and someone else should make the game who actully has seen the movies and knows what back to the future fans want instead of just adding failed puzzles which dont fit in at all.

if they had added more puzzles like where you have to put that light bulb thing in the delorean instead of guess who and then run over to the courthouse and give young doc a piece of paper which says this puzzle sucks on it then it would of been better.

EA make exciting fast paced games and could easily adapt to adventure games for the sake of back to the future but telltale will always make crap when it comes to back to the future.

This doesn't make sense. The developers that work for EA don't make adventure games.

If you want an adventure game, you go to a company that's good at making adventure games.

"We want to make Back to the Future like the movies, a light hearted adventure with heavy emphasis on character, humor, and a bit of action. Let's hire the people that made Dead Space." :rolleyes:

Plus I really don't understand how you can say Telltale didn't respect the property. You don't go and get Bob Gale, Chris Lloyd, and Michael J. Fox involved in order to intentionally crap out a sub par game.
  • edited September 2011
    E.A's back to the future game would be called

Call of the future future ops yeah they already turned harry potter into call of wizards modern wizards 2 with harry potter and deathy hollows 1 and 2 games
  • edited September 2011
    I think the franchise is far from dead. I went to a showing of the movie at a local theater last Thursday. In the audience, there WERE people who didn't exist at the time Back to the Future came out in 1985. I don't know how many of them were seeing it for the first time, but there were children in there, so I'm sure that at least one person was seeing Back to the Future for the first time. And while some jokes won't work as well anymore, such as Marty trying to order two now defunct sodas, the movie still holds up very well. I believe someone put it very eloquently once: It's somewhat ironic that a movie about time travel has become timeless.
  • edited September 2011
    There is no point in this because most of the people are fanboys who just want to defend telltale and they cant face the fact telltale suck at making bttf games.

Like i said they make good games otherwise but bttf wise... Big fat FAIL

and also people always say that rather dashing is always complaining well he has all the right to complain and his point is perfect.

Ok fair enought maybe ea would suck as well but still someone like telltale who dont make shitty baby graphics and terrible storylines which lietrally say: 'hey docs explanation about paradoxes were wrong dont worry lets just make a timeline where he doesnt even invent a time machiene'

NO SEASON 2 I BEG YOU.
  • edited September 2011
    There is no point in this because most of the people are fanboys who just want to defend telltale and they cant face the fact telltale suck at making bttf games.

Ok fair enought maybe ea would suck as well but still someone like telltale who dont make shitty baby graphics and terrible storylines which lietrally say: 'hey docs explanation about paradoxes were wrong dont worry lets just make a timeline where he doesnt even invent a time machiene'

NO SEASON 2 I BEG YOU.

You need to take a breather. We get it; you didn't like the game.

Inferring that everybody who does like the game are a group of delusional individuals doesn't help your credibility.

If Season Two does see the light of day, simply don't buy it.

Problem solved.
  • edited September 2011
    I <3 this thread
  • edited September 2011
    You need to take a breather. We get it; you didn't like the game.

Inferring that everybody who does like the game are a group of delusional individuals doesn't help your credibility.

If Season Two does see the light of day, simply don't buy it.

Problem solved.

i agree with marty here u and rather dashing need to stop posting everywhere u hate the game we get it u and rather dont got a right to say wat other people need to think about the game
  • edited September 2011
    Well, Dashing doesn't do that, to a point.

In any case, Back to the Future the Game has been a financial success and a critical success for the most part, and will be reaching a wider audience soon with retail releases on PS3 and Wii. That doesn't sound like a dead franchise to me.
  • edited September 2011
    Since I seem to be coming up a lot, I'd like to make it clear that I'm with everyone when it comes to "generalcabdriver45" making poorly-reasoned posts that don't really do much in terms of constructive conversation. I'd hardly like to consider myself "in league" with the person myself, and any sort of imagined affiliation is at best a gross oversimplification of my expressed opinions.
  • edited September 2011
    Since I seem to be coming up a lot, I'd like to make it clear that I'm with everyone when it comes to "generalcabdriver45" making poorly-reasoned posts that don't really do much in terms of constructive conversation. I'd hardly like to consider myself "in league" with the person myself, and any sort of imagined affiliation is at best a gross oversimplification of my expressed opinions.

ok see now the difference between u and rather is rather will stop at a point and his reasons too a point are good ones but urs ain good
  • edited September 2011
    duteWhats a dush? im not a troll i just dont like it when a person criticsizes everything about a gameWaah his opinion is different than yours it would be different if there was no effort put in the game put telltale like every other game they made did put effort in itWhere is the effort? Not in puzzle design and gameplay, thats for sure.

Bold. Seriously guys, Rather Dashing is allowed to say what he wants about the game, he did buy it after all, I think he deserves the right to critisize it. Just ignore him, and not post on why you dont like his posts, and PLEASE use propper grammar, the occasional spelling error is fine, but I can barely read some of your posts.
  • edited September 2011
    I'm in no way attacking Rather Dashing. Personally, I enjoy reading his criticism.

Unlike generalcabdriver, he doesn't put down those who differ in opinion. Dashing is offering his honest opinion while generalcabdriver is attacking everybody opposed.

It's more of the fact that generalcabdriver offers little to no reasoning behind his/her posts.
  • edited September 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Bold. Seriously guys, Rather Dashing is allowed to say what he wants about the game, he did buy it after all, I think he deserves the right to critisize it. Just ignore him, and not post on why you dont like his posts, and PLEASE use propper grammar, the occasional spelling error is fine, but I can barely read some of your posts.

yeah and if u read up a bit i even said that i think rather made some good points and the effort was in story
  • edited September 2011
    yeah and if u read up a bit i even said that i think rather made some good points and the effort was in story

Funny, All I see is terrible grammar and " rather dashing need to stop posting everywhere u hate the game we get it u and rather dont got a right to say wat other people need to think about the game
    ".(what? F on grammar) And I agree the story was good, but for a VIDEO GAME you dont want to focus on the story too much, or else you would be in the MOVIE buisness.
  • edited September 2011
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Funny, All I see is terrible grammar and " rather dashing need to stop posting everywhere u hate the game we get it u and rather dont got a right to say wat other people need to think about the game
    ".(what? F on grammar) And I agree the story was good, but for a VIDEO GAME you dont want to focus on the story too much, or else you would be in the MOVIE buisness.

yeah but it would be a cool thing on the dvd if they let u watch the entire game like a movie
  • edited September 2011
    I think the fact that this game even exists as well as the release of the 25th Anniversary Blu-Rays & DVDs prove that the franchise is more 'alive' now than it has been for the past 15 years or so bar the occasional DVD single & package releases (which didn't even start until 2002 anyway). Not to mention the (admittedly limited) re-release at cinemas the first film had last year.
  • edited September 2011
    yeah but it would be a cool thing on the dvd if they let u watch the entire game like a movie

That wasnt the point. The point was that games are for gameplay, not storys. If this was meant to be a movie, then it should be a movie, not a game with little gameplay.
  • I can't believe people still dont know about the ignore feature yet. If you hate dashing that much, use it. I don't ignore him because while I disagree with his overall perspective, he is able to back up his posts.

The fact is that back to the future is still popping up quite a bit; the recent commercial, portal 2, family guy spoofs it a fair amount (i've heard rumblings of having a BTTF spoof like star wars), supernatural has made at least 2 references (main character gets sent back in time and claims he needs a delorean), it's still popular enough that in pop culture a flux capacitor can be referenced without needing to explain and the DeLorean seems almost syonymous with back to the future. Isn't Chrisopher Lloyd voicing a delorean in cars 2?

So 21 years since the last film it's still not dead in pop culture but as far as continuations go it probably is. We will never get a part IV with MJF's rapidly declining health and Christopher Lloyd far from a leading man. There may be a remake some day. Another video game is likely the only continuation we may see but given the popularity it's rather surprising we are only limited to 3 films, 2 seasons of a TV show, 1 defunct ride, and 1 modern video game... though i guess thats still more than the more popular godfather trilogy.
  • edited September 2011
    Well seeing as star wars has come up a few times and i think its the most overated thing ever im gonna say, did back to the future get a huge delorean hologram when the 25th anniversary was happening.... no but hey guess what star wars have had a huge light beam come out of the bt tower in london to look like a lightsaber... sorry just had to put that :p
    also people should calm down about generalcabdriver he wasnt being racist or threatining people or anything else so i dont find it fair that he cant get his point across but yet people can say how much they love telltale...

that is all......... :cool::cool:
  • edited September 2011
    8/10 OP. You could've used a little more subtlety, but you managed to get a lot of people. Hell, for a minute I was even planning to type out an actual rebuttal. Well done.

Oh, and for the record, everybody in this thread is either a troll or being trolled. :p
  • edited September 2011
    Isn't Chrisopher Lloyd voicing a delorean in cars 2?

Was it an uncredited role? It doesn't show up on his IMDB page and I didn't see the movie.

To YouTube!

2377258_o.gif
    Oh, and for the record, everybody in this thread is either a troll or being trolled. :p

So which side are you on? ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.