Back to the future franchise dead?

2»

Comments

• edited September 2011
    So which side are you on? ;)

Not even I know. I'm very mysterious.
  • edited September 2011
    8/10 OP. You could've used a little more subtlety, but you managed to get a lot of people. Hell, for a minute I was even planning to type out an actual rebuttal. Well done.

Oh, and for the record, everybody in this thread is either a troll or being trolled. :p

That fucker. I should've known after the EA thing.
  • edited September 2011
    First off broski, JP is a growing franchise, and has a new movie on the way. BTTF was released in the 80's and then it just died. I'm glad Universal never touched the film till now. It was always perfect, 1 little brush and its bad.
  • edited September 2011
    Now to extend all this is the point of companys they cant even be botherd to buy the rights to companys like nike or pepsi which was always being shown in the films, also in episode 1 Jcpenny = Jcpennie...WTF, now I know it would of been pointless since it was only there for a few miniutes of the game but still it makes no sense that in the film it's jcpenny and then six monthes later the company turn it into Jcpennie.

What would be the point of that? It appears briefly in the background of the first episode. Why would they waste the time getting licenses to stores that appear for a few brief seconds?
  • edited September 2011
    I dont see how it is fair that a fantastic film can be so coldley abondoned.
    If you have heard a star wars ride has been opened in disneyland, hardly fair!!!

The reason Star Wars is still alive is cause it's a huge franchise. It had 3 new movies in the 2000 and now a TV show. BTTF had 3 films and a horrible TV show, and the bad bad games. Look at E.T, another wonderful film destroyed by it's remastered edition. You cant alter BTTF, it's gonna screw everything over.

And yeah so unfair star wars got a ride boo hoo disney had the license to do so. Universal Orlando lost the rights to BTTF and had to demolish the ride.
  • edited September 2011
    The reason Star Wars is still alive is cause it's a huge franchise. It had 3 new movies in the 2000 and now a TV show. BTTF had 3 films and a horrible TV show, and the bad bad games. Look at E.T, another wonderful film destroyed by it's remastered edition. You cant alter BTTF, it's gonna screw everything over.

And yeah so unfair star wars got a ride boo hoo disney had the license to do so. Universal Orlando lost the rights to BTTF and had to demolish the ride.

While true, Spielberg has stated that the ET Blu-ray will be the original edition and he said he regrets what he did.
  • edited October 2011
    In certain ways what you say is right but I think its far from dead.
  • yoman45135 wrote: »
    In certain ways what you say is right but I think its far from dead.

It's dead in the same way the godfather series is dead; relegated to video games an nostalgia.
  • edited October 2011
    I wouldn't call it a "franchise that is dead," it's more of a "series that is over."
  • edited November 2011
    Mfw reading the OP's post
    samhaing.jpg

If the franchise was dead, I doubt many of us remember it, but as one of the other poster's said, I think this is a troll topic.
    It's dead in the same way the godfather series is dead; relegated to video games an nostalgia.

Better nostalgia then destroying what we love about it the way Lucas is doing with the Star Wars franchise.
  • edited November 2011
    Ashki wrote: »
    Better nostalgia then destroying what we love about it the way Lucas is doing with the Star Wars franchise.

at least Clone Wars is good. If only someone at LucasFilm or that's close to him had the nerve to say, "Okay George, enough is enough."
  • edited November 2011
    at least Clone Wars is good. If only someone at LucasFilm or that's close to him had the nerve to say, "Okay George, enough is enough."

Pretty much, but ah well, what are you going to do, you know? Sadly there's not a whole lot we can do about that.
  • InatInat Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2011
    Now to extend all this is the point of companys they cant even be botherd to buy the rights to companys like nike or pepsi which was always being shown in the films, also in episode 1 Jcpenny = Jcpennie...WTF, now I know it would of been pointless since it was only there for a few miniutes of the game but still it makes no sense that in the film it's jcpenny and then six monthes later the company turn it into Jcpennie.
    Doc64 wrote: »
    What would be the point of that? It appears briefly in the background of the first episode. Why would they waste the time getting licenses to stores that appear for a few brief seconds?

It's JPPinney, not JCPinnie. I assume it's a reference to one of Telltale's designers, Joe Pinney.
  • edited November 2011
    The JPPinney thing wouldn't bug me so much if it weren't so in-your-face in the game's intro and menu. Leaving the mall signless or keeping the background mostly out of focus probably would have been better than having the ersatz sign so visible.
  • edited November 2011
    As a fan I'd be more enthusiastic about seeing people appreciate the original films than see the franchise turn to shit by remaking it with an entirely new cast. Whatever you think in terms of plot graphics or gameplay, Telltale showed a lot of appreciation for the franchise by
    -Involving original cast members such as Christopher Lloyd, Claudia Wells, Michael J Fox.
    -Getting a voice actor like AJ to completely nail young MJ Fox to the point where by the 5th episode you can barely tell them apart.
    -Write a story that managed to explore Marty and Docs friendship further and in a way no potential movie from the 90's or beyond could have hoped to have done.
    -Getting Bob Gale involved.
    -Jared Emerson-Johnson's amazing adaption of the original score.

Honestly Jurassic Park with its whole new engine and graphics didn't appeal to me as much as the thought of seeing the characters I grew up watching interacting in a new adventure. BTTFs cartoony appearance I was able to look beyond because the characters were true to the films. The Ghostbusters game is a good example, the story was great, it linked in with the original movies well (Shandor origins of the slime in the second film etc), the banter between characters and overall look and feel made it a joy to play. But there were times when characters just didn't seem to act like they did in the movies, the worst culprit being (and I hate to say it) Venkman. The Graphics helped Ghostbusters (didn't like the Wii characterizations at all) but Telltales Back to the Future got the overall feel right far more times than the former, despite the latters looks and poor gameplay.
  • edited December 2011
    1. when Telltale made the recent one they messed up let me explain my point, The graphics were rubbish and made it look like a kids cartoon more than a game about a film for adults, and even worse is they went and delayed Jurassic park to make it a whole level better, what do Telltale prefer Jurassic park? If they do I dont see a reason to make one game better and on more consoles and better graphics etc and have the other game made cheaply and quickly.

i think that its a wonderful adaption. who says it needs to be gritty and realistic? also, this game is one of the best- no is the best movie game i have played. telltale games is my favorite game developer and is a true sequel to the movie. if yoou don't like it you can go play some of the LJN games but most people can agree that telltale put the most consideration ive ever seen in a movie. hmph!
  • edited December 2011
    Wow troll inside here. Some players here have nothing part of respect face to this AWESOME game. Yes, this is a easy point'n click, but everything looks created with love based on the original trilogy. This is my feeling, and I didn't know Telltales before this game, so I don't defend them.

The game can be officially the next trilogy, the game uses some original voice actors, the graphics are a comic cartoon aspect for a original comedy (because BTTF is mainly based on humour), which makes sense for me... So what's the point ? Making "Back to the Future Warfare" ? HD Realistic-serioustic-caustic Graphics, oh yeah, BTTF is a psychodrama ? Physics ? MMORPG ? Open-world ? Features can't make a game if it doesn't deserves it. Check this with Miyamoto.

Sorry for my english (french-guy spotted).
  • edited December 2011
    Doc64 wrote: »
    Inat wrote: »
    It's JPPinney, not JCPinnie. I assume it's a reference to one of Telltale's designers, Joe Pinney.

Besides all that, the part of the game in which we see it isn't supposed to be what really happened, it's a dream, and in dreams, things are never exactly the same as they are in reality.
  • edited January 2012
    This game was a AWESOME addition to the franchise, and I will be MORE THAN HAPPY for more!
  • dancondancon Former Telltale Staff
    edited January 2012
    Thanks Mt we are glad you enjoyed it and appreciate the support!:D
  • edited January 2012
    Okay, new to this forum after playing through all 5 episodes in succession, and I must say TTG did a great job continuing the franchise. I personally do not want a remake, or continuation in standard film. The BEST and ONLY way possible to continue the series is via video games such as this. I was not a fan of Monkey Island or whatever it was cuz it was borderline juvenile, BUT, with the recognition of BTTF, they nailed this. The voice actors were great ( I read on here they didnt include the original Biff, but who gives a crap?). The story was great, and if they got some feedback to the story line from Zemekeis, or Gale even better (that tells me they approved this whole deal). You guys did a great job and the "to be continued" at the end of episode 5 makes me look forward to the next round of episodes. One more note, this beats the hell out of the watered-down, money grubbing LucasArts, or anything else they are trying to beat until dead for profits only. It occurs to me, TTG did this for two reason: Obviously to make money on a incredible franchise, and to continue the story of a franchise that everyone loves who saw the films when they were released.....like me :D. You guys did a great job and I cannot wait til you guys build on an already enjoyable ride though the past (no pun intended). Keep up the good work!!!!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.