Does this joke offend you?

edited November 2011 in Back to the Future
Or do you acknowledged that it's just a joke? It kind of helps that he said sorry right after.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seeZo_B7mpU

Skip to 1:20

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Its pretty poor taste.. MJF seems like a pretty decent guy.. why give him crap?
  • edited November 2011
    Is it really any different from the "Woah woah woah Michael, I have to tell you about YOUR future?" joke from Family Guy?
  • edited November 2011
    I don't watch Family Guy... I guess I do not hate it... but I am not really entertained by it either.... Maybe I'm just getting old.
  • edited November 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Its pretty poor taste.. MJF seems like a pretty decent guy.. why give him crap?

Well it's just a joke. I just want to know if people take it the wrong way.
  • edited November 2011
    what way are they supposed to take it?
  • That Parkinsons disease is funny? Cuz its not
  • edited November 2011
    what way are they supposed to take it?

Well some people might be offended because it's a joke about an illness. Others might realize it's just a joke and the guy wasn't make fun of MJF.
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah... saying "just joking" after doing or saying something horrible doesn't make it OK... Otherwise I would never have to pay speeding tickets... I would just say "just joking" and the officer would say "oh... my mistake... carry on"

NOBODY likes to be targeted and picked on...
  • edited November 2011
    Tornreaper wrote: »
    Well some people might be offended because it's a joke about an illness. Others might realize it's just a joke and the guy wasn't make fun of MJF.

Well you asked and people answered what more do you want?..Other then them answering what you wanted to hear.
  • edited November 2011
    Jokes don't really ever offend me, as such; it actually takes quite a lot to truly offend me. I believe this was a joke made in poor taste by somebody with a poor sense of humour. I thought it was stupid, but not really offensive. I simply brush it off just as I would with any other joke made by any other twatcake; to actually be offended by this would just be silly.
  • edited November 2011
    It's fairly difficult to offend me.

The joke was unfunny, though.
  • edited November 2011
    Aww, that's not really funny. I don't mind the joke but the impression is a bit depressing.

This is uh... related. I think it's still a bit rude but at least I appreciate the gag at play here.
  • edited November 2011
    It doesn't offend me, but I don't find it funny at all.
  • edited November 2011
    Seams like a joke Biff would make.
  • edited November 2011
    boring and being offended is gay. i wish u didn't link us cuz we all gave that guy views.
  • edited November 2011
    Ah well, it's not like Michael doesn't make jokes about Parkinson's himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4lFjWoFqc
  • edited November 2011
    It didn't offend me but it was made in poor taste and comes off as a bit cruel.
  • edited November 2011
    ELB1985 wrote: »
    boring and being offended is gay. i wish u didn't link us cuz we all gave that guy views.

I doubt it will have a very big impact on the world. (Or even the guy himself.)

And please refrain from using 'gay' in such a context in the future; it can be hurtful to some people.
  • edited November 2011
    Well I really didn't find it funny like "HAHA true dat!" more like funny as in "Wow did he really just say that?"

And to the guy who said the guy didn't deserve views, he's actually not a bad person. That's like saying the people who make family guy are bad people because they are offensive jokes. The key is to not take stuff like this seriously.
  • edited November 2011

Okay, that was funny!
  • edited November 2011

Its a little different when someone who has the disability chooses to joke about it..
  • edited November 2011
    Got any conditions I can make fun of?

You heartless creature.
  • edited November 2011
    Im painfully awesome.... its a burden.
  • edited November 2011
    Well, you can obviously tell that he's not making the joke out of hatred or malice or anything like that. It is in poor taste (and he realized it immediately, hence the "sorry" right after), but no, I wasn't offended by it.
  • edited November 2011
    mjc0961 wrote: »
    Well, you can obviously tell that he's not making the joke out of hatred or malice or anything like that. It is in poor taste (and he realized it immediately, hence the "sorry" right after), but no, I wasn't offended by it.

Well yeah that's the main thing. Making a joke like that isn't really that bad opposed to yealling out the N word to every black guy you see.

Also I'm pretty sure he said sorry because he knew that he pulled a Family Guy where he sort of went to far but again Family Guy gets away with it because it's a joke.
  • edited November 2011
    Personally, I got more offended when he turned on the 'View goals' option :p
    I don't watch Family Guy... I guess I do not hate it... but I am not really entertained by it either.... Maybe I'm just getting old.

I watch it with my mates and laugh with them, all the while shaking my head. I'm a hypocrite of the highest order.
  • edited November 2011
    Comedy can get away with anything offensive as long as it's funny. That joke wasn't.
  • edited November 2011
    Comedy can get away with anything offensive as long as it's funny. That joke wasn't.
    I didn't find it funny either, but humor is a subjective thing and I don't think you can say that it's unfunny from an objective perspective. Problems come up when one person says what they think is funny and not offensive is the "right" way to view things, and that they can decide what's appropriate based on that standard.
  • edited November 2011
    Tornreaper do you know the guy who made that video or what? Just curious what lead you to open this topic.

I don't know family guy but as far as I know from some of the clips people shared here, they reference the movie, not some individual's disease. Also sometimes shows might joke about injuries which people cause by theirselves but a disease is different than that.

As for my opinion; I guess the "time travel gives parkinsons disease" part could be acceptable to some but "wha..wha..what doc" part sounded very disturbing to me. He might not hate MJF but he definitely doesn't respect him. Joking about illnesses is usually considered bad and it should be because it's not like people choose those.
  • Its one thing to make fun of a disease but to make fun of an individual for having a disease is extremely offensive.

Since Family guy's been brought up; one of the main characters is a parapalegic andthey do make jokes about it every now and then but it would be awfully poor taste to incorporate jokes about Christopher Reeves injury.
  • edited November 2011
    My two cents, the original joke was really gay (I could honestly care less about who is offended at my use of the word this way, as the use of it to describe someone who is homosexual is offensive to me, not to mention a distortion of the original meaning of the word) and done in poor taste. MJF making a joke was hilarious. Enough said!
  • edited November 2011
    WareKurt wrote: »
    Tornreaper do you know the guy who made that video or what? Just curious what lead you to open this topic.

I don't know family guy but as far as I know from some of the clips people shared here, they reference the movie, not some individual's disease. Also sometimes shows might joke about injuries which people cause by theirselves but a disease is different than that.

As for my opinion; I guess the "time travel gives parkinsons disease" part could be acceptable to some but "wha..wha..what doc" part sounded very disturbing to me. He might not hate MJF but he definitely doesn't respect him. Joking about illnesses is usually considered bad and it should be because it's not like people choose those.

I don't know him personally but lets just say he's a popular "Let's player" on YouTube and I happen to be one of his followers.

I don't think the guy hates him and I don't think the joke was done in disrespect. It's just a joke that meant no harm. I was just curious if some people though he took it too far.
  • edited November 2011
    That joke didn't offend me; it's just not funny at all. I've laughed more in a funeral.
  • edited November 2011
    I've laughed more in a funeral.

I can't understand what you mean
  • edited November 2011
    I was just curious if some people though he took it too far.
    Well I think he took it too far by saying "wha..wha..what doc".
  • edited November 2011
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I can't understand what you mean
    Not many people do. Nice avatar, by the way!
  • edited November 2011
    It offends me in that it's a douche bag making an unfunny joke on the Internet and cracking up at himself, but the subject of the joke itself doesn't really bother me.
  • edited November 2011
    By the way don't remember if this was mentioned before but this wasn't a live show that was recorded was it? Which means by saying sorry, he understands that he made a mistake and said something he shouldn't have but he actually had time to correct it before uploading it to youtube. Which means he doesn't actually care about it, therefore his apology is kind of invalid. If he really did think it was morally wrong, he could have just muted that part.
  • edited November 2011
    WareKurt wrote: »
    By the way don't remember if this was mentioned before but this wasn't a live show that was recorded was it? Which means by saying sorry, he understands that he made a mistake and said something he shouldn't have but he actually had time to correct it before uploading it to youtube. Which means he doesn't actually care about it, therefore his apology is kind of invalid. If he really did think it was morally wrong, he could have just muted that part.

It wasn't live. He doesn't like editing and wants to upload his videos as quickly as possible. He said sorry because he didn't actually mean it in an offensive way but he wouldn't remove it because he doesn't feel that the joke shouldn't be taken seriously and that it wasn't a big deal.
  • edited November 2011
    jweir wrote: »
    (I could honestly care less about who is offended at my use of the word this way, as the use of it to describe someone who is homosexual is offensive to me, not to mention a distortion of the original meaning of the word)
    FUCK YOU. I don't see you using Middle fucking English, your vocabulary is no less "distorted" than anybody else's.
This discussion has been closed.