Literally own the entire animated series!

edited January 2012 in Back to the Future
Over 300,000 cells from the series up for auction. Heavy doesn't even begin to describe it! :eek:

Comments

• edited January 2012
    $50,000? You're not fucking serious are you?!
  • edited January 2012
    Tornreaper wrote: »
    $50,000? You're not fucking serious are you?!

0.16 per cell is a pretty darn good price for a cell of an animation; even in the case of something like bttf which is more of a cult following than a big big thing.
  • edited January 2012
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    0.16 per cell is a pretty darn good price for a cell of an animation; even in the case of something like bttf which is more of a cult following than a big big thing.

I'm not sure what you mean by cells but anyone who spends $50,000 for two seasons of an animated series is clearly insane.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm not sure what you mean by cells but anyone who spends $50,000 for two seasons of an animated series is clearly insane.

Cells are the actual, physical drawings/frames that made up the cartoon. It would be really cool to own one, but I'm not able to buy that whole set!
  • edited January 2012
    I agree with mathman77. I'd buy one but the whole set? I just don't have that kind of money to burn.

I'll be interested to see if anyone actually buys all those cells. Where would they keep them?
  • edited January 2012
    Finally! I can accomplish my dream of painstakingly re-filming the entire series cel by cel!
  • edited January 2012
    mathman77 wrote: »
    Cells are the actual, physical drawings/frames that made up the cartoon. It would be really cool to own one, but I'm not able to buy that whole set!

What's so special about that? The most I would spend would be around $100.
  • edited January 2012
    What's so special about that? The most I would spend would be around $100.

my highest bid would be £1000.00 what you said is how much both seasons on video are worth
  • edited January 2012
    yoman45135 wrote: »
    my highest bid would be £1000.00 what you said is how much both seasons on video are worth

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that $2000 where I am from? That's still a waste of money. Plus I highly doubt a single season is worth $50 considering it's possible several years old and it pretty much sucks.
  • edited January 2012
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that $2000 where I am from? That's still a waste of money. Plus I highly doubt a single season is worth $50 considering it's possible several years old and it pretty much sucks.

Yes it sucks but a lot of collecters would want them and they are old and rare videos
  • edited January 2012
    Yes it sucks but a lot of collecters would want them and they are old and rare videos

Collectors indeed. These are the people with no lives and too much money to spend. I'm making my statements as an average consumer so it's easy to believe why I would find something like this insane. I like to collect stuff sure, but I'm not one of those obsessed people that would spend $5000 on a single rare comic book.

This is why this is a stupid price. I am speaking for the average consumer who buys stuff that they would actually use. I am sure that whoever buys this won't even watch it. They'll just put it in some sort of collection.
  • edited January 2012
    Collectors indeed. These are the people with no lives and too much money to spend. I'm making my statements as an average consumer so it's easy to believe why I would find something like this insane. I like to collect stuff sure, but I'm not one of those obsessed people that would spend $5000 on a single rare comic book.

This is why this is a stupid price. I am speaking for the average consumer who buys stuff that they would actually use. I am sure that whoever buys this won't even watch it. They'll just put it in some sort of collection.

Yes I see what you mean but I collect a lot of bttf stuff and even though the seriea was crap it would be worth a lot to me just because it has the name back to the future so not every collecter wouldnt watch it
  • edited January 2012
    In the words of the doc, portrayed by Dan Castellaneta in the Animated segments, Oucha Magoucha. Those prices are awfully ridiculous.
  • edited January 2012
    I am sure that whoever buys this won't even watch it.

Uh...there's nothing to watch. These are the actual celluloid sheets that were used to create the show.
  • edited January 2012
    So... 50.000 dollars... for "drawings" that you cannot "watch" (except maybe frame by frame, by flipping them in your hands)

...so 50.000 dollars... that's like... 50 VERY good PC units... or 1 NASA PC unit... for a bunch of old smelly sticky drawings...

I'm incapable of understanding.
    Having one cell is nice, I would buy a cell from the LOTR Movies, yes...
    Owning SO many cells is pretty much pointless...even for collectors!! How would you display them? You'd need a museum and people who actually want to visit your museum.

This is not a rare Faberge Egg... it's a bloody bunch of tiny drawings!!! O.o

I collect action figures... you can actually play with those or, at least, display them somewhere for people to see and touch and examine!

...does not compute.
  • edited January 2012
    to be fair i understand that for this particular series it really isnt worth that much. though i have a framed mr dna cell used in jurassic park on my wall. would rather have that once cell than a million from less meaningful (ti me anyway) cartoons. i think for a cell to be worth alot it has to be from something iconic, such as mickey mouse, the simpsons etc.
  • edited January 2012
    I think it does worth the price.

It's not PRACTICALLY having all the EDITED episodes on DVD. It's a collector's treasure. It's one and only, RAW elements that's used to CRAFT the show. It's RARE. It's a given that more iconic series are and SHOULD worth much much more but it doesn't mean the price tag on this one is unfair.
  • edited January 2012
    So... 50.000 dollars... for "drawings" that you cannot "watch" (except maybe frame by frame, by flipping them in your hands)

...so 50.000 dollars... that's like... 50 VERY good PC units... or 1 NASA PC unit... for a bunch of old smelly sticky drawings...

I'm incapable of understanding.
    Having one cell is nice, I would buy a cell from the LOTR Movies, yes...
    Owning SO many cells is pretty much pointless...even for collectors!! How would you display them? You'd need a museum and people who actually want to visit your museum.

This is not a rare Faberge Egg... it's a bloody bunch of tiny drawings!!! O.o

I collect action figures... you can actually play with those or, at least, display them somewhere for people to see and touch and examine!

...does not compute.

Someone finally understands common sense!
  • edited January 2012
    Someone finally understands common sense!

No offense anyone, but it's more like bland sense.
  • edited January 2012
    I guess someone could buy them and try to sell the cells individually to make a profit?
  • edited January 2012
    I guess someone could buy them and try to sell the cells individually to make a profit?

Even if the person sold 100 cells a day, it would still take them 3,000 days (approx. 8.22 years) to sell them all.

I don't think that it would be the best business plan to depend on.
  • edited January 2012
    Even if the person sold 100 cells a day, it would still take them 3,000 days (approx. 8.22 years) to sell them all.

I don't think that it would be the best business plan to depend on.
    They wouldn't need to sell all of them, though. If they charge $2 more than they paid per cel, they'll need to sell 22,500 before they break even. If they sold 100 per day, under that criteria, it'd take less then a year. THEN it's all profit. ;)

The size and cost of this bulk order obviously isn't that profitable, even to businesses that deal in the stuff, otherwise someone would have bid on it. Back to the Future cels are pretty unremarkable stuff, apparently, as they seem to command a much lower price per cel than just about any piece of animation production art I've ever seen. As someone who owns some production art(from non-BttF stuff) myself, I was sure that the price was actually EXTREMELY low per cel, but it seems that the demand for these is just incredibly low, as finding cels for painfully low prices for this show is really easy.

Honestly, the best bet for someone to get rid of these would be to go to conventions with a high Back to the Future fan following and hope to heavily upcharge the things to put them in line with production cels of other works, and hope that the impulse nature of con-goers does its magic. As it is, that's a really bad bet to make, and people who deal in this sort of business obviously agree with me on this point.
  • edited January 2012
    Let me put this in another way... if these were so valuable, why are they being sold? :D
  • edited January 2012
    Let me put this in another way... if these were so valuable, why are they being sold? :D

Maybe the guy who is selling them ran out of space besides things in the bttf movies got sold, does not mean they are not valuable.
  • edited January 2012

It's like asking, "Butcher has lots of meat. People want meat. Why doesn't butcher eat all the meat? Selling it is so dumb".

If you had a friend in the studios willing to give you the cells as they wouldn't be useful for him ever again... You'd put them on eBay too. You're not a collectionist, but you'd love the enjoy the money it can possibly bring.
  • edited January 2012

Maybe because he doesn't want them. He probably though "Hey, I bet some collector idiots would pay any price for this and I can make a cheep buck!" Although I don't see anyone buying them to resell them. I never got that with drug dealers. They buy illegal drugs but then they sell them instead of use them.

Also have you ever considered this might be a scam?
  • edited January 2012
    You could buy them, replace a few cells with dirty pictures and make an internet sensation.
  • edited January 2012
    Johro wrote: »
    You could buy them, replace a few cells with dirty pictures and make an internet sensation.

You are the only one in the right mindset in this entire thread. Saluted.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm sure there are hardcore fans out there willing to pay 50 grand to be able to peruse all the 300,000 cels. I can imagine it would be like a euphoria.
  • edited January 2012
    Falanca wrote: »
    It's like asking, "Butcher has lots of meat. People want meat. Why doesn't butcher eat all the meat? Selling it is so dumb".

If I was the butcher, I would eat the meat o.o I know how to make AWESOME cheeseburgers after a family recipe!

...I'm not derailing this thread, am I?

I should give myself a warning. Brb.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.