Sam and Max's changing personalities

edited May 2007 in Sam & Max
I think Sam and Max's personalities have altered quite a bit over the course of the series. They're both far less stoic, which in Sam's case especially is a big change, and prone to moments of melodrama that really don't suit them. They've become less a parody of the typical crime-fighting duo and turned into a couple of slightly generic cartoon characters.

What I found funny about Hit The Road and the earlier episodes was the way that amidst the ridiculousness of their surroundings, Sam was always very deadpan. His use of language in commenting on all these things was a big element of the humour. Max was just a deranged menace with a one-track mind - now he's far less inclined towards violence, instead being prone to moments of unexplained craziness or overblown emotional displays, as well as having become rather naive and childish. I feel the jokes have shifted so that Max's new-found madness constitutes nearly all the punchlines, and it's a pity to see less of such comments as 'this rampant weenie cannibalism turns my stomach', 'the biggest smokes for the biggest tumours' and 'I bet [Jesse James's hand] is extra-valuable because it's autographed!', which do crop up occasionally and which I've loved. Those kinds of jokes feel far less forced than the

Sam: Random but innocuous comment
Max: Irrevant reply that hints at mental instability
Sam: You crack me up little buddy

format. (I did find that moment very funny, but it's a pity it's quite such an apt observation!)

I've been trying for a long time now to pinpoint a vague sense of dissatisfaction I've felt all the way though the series, and I guess this is it, because apart from gripes about the easiness of the game and quantity of locations that many seem to share, I've really enjoyed everything else. I hope others will agree with me so we can look forward to a more believable Sam and Max, should there be a Season Two.

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Yeah, that was my complaint around Episode 3 when I found out that I couldn't abuse Max as I could in HTR.

Like they said in Episode 6, I want their next season to have more shooting things.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    I've always found Sam to be surprisingly emotional in the original comics. His one track always stoic all the time attitude, to me, is only really present in Hit The Road, and there it's only like that because of how Bill Farmer read the part. If you go back and read Bad Day on the Moon (especially the part where Max gets zapped) or the pages where Max is kidnapped in Monkeys Violating the Heavenly Temple, Sam is surprising in his range of emotions and actions. Far less one-dimensional than he is in Hit The Road.
  • edited May 2007
    Ok, I'll believe you! I don't really know anything of Sam and Max aside from their appearances in the games, so perhaps it was, in fact, Hit The Road that was unfaithful to the original characters. Of course, that doesn't alter my preference ;)
    edited May 2007
    I don't know if any one thing or another is 'more faithful' - it's clearly Sam and Max in every incarnation, their cores are intact - the different incarnations of the characters and the universe play up different parts of the characters, though, I think.
  • edited May 2007
    I think Sam could be a lot funnier.. I dont know if its the lines he has or the delivery..
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah Agreed, would be nice if they went a bit more back to the Hit The Road, in the next season. :)

Also would be nice if that 3d engine were capable of creating some funny fights and stuff. Instead of being so static. :P

Guess i just miss the good old 2d days.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    Before the season started and people were speculating on season 1, it was Hit the Road this and Hit the Road that. While the episodes were being released and people were playing, most of that talk died down it seemed. Now that the speculation is starting again, it's 'make it more like Hit the Road' again.

I guess it'll be months of this now.
  • edited May 2007
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Also would be nice if that 3d engine were capable of creating some funny fights and stuff. Instead of being so static. :P
    The engine would have no trouble at all. The problem is that doing (good) animation is hard. Games with a lot of unique animations like Shenmue or Resident Evil have much bigger budgets then anything Telltale could manage per episode and had the advantage of motion capture to speed things up (which would not work well for non-realistically proportioned characters like Sam and Max). Most animations in S&M are recycled.
  • edited May 2007
    There's a bit about this in a retrospective article on the PC Gamer website.

"Both Sam and Max spoke as if a computer program had been told their character attributes, and then randomly generated phrases that it calculated should be appropriate. At points, especially in Episode 1, these nonsensical statements had nothing to do with what was going on, nor indeed what the other had said. "I like pizza." "You crack me up little buddy."

The rest of the article is at http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163599 but it's not a glowing report of Sam and Max so far. Should be avoided by people with a nervous disposition.

(There's also a bit in the current issues 'Devil's Advocate', they really aren't happy with Sam and Max)
    edited May 2007
    Ouch, guess he don't like the sense of humor in the Sam & Max games (and can't appreciate the tongue in cheek second case of CSI)... also they like factual inaccuracies, apparently (episode 2 was scheduled to come out 2 months after episode 1 from day one, it wasn't "a month late"). Can't please everyone.
  • edited May 2007
    Sorry for posting that but I thought you would want to know people's opinions of the games, even if they didn't like them. I noticed the episode 2 error as well, and because of it we can disregard the whole thing!
    edited May 2007
    Haha no that's not what I meant. Obviously not everyone likes the games... and I try to read every piece of coverage I can find about the games, because I want to know what everyone is thinking (and not just everyone on the forums). He's entitled to be as harsh as he wants, of course. That's practically what games journalism is for.
  • MelMel
    edited May 2007
    That PCGamer review was the crankiest one I've read. Saying (I'm paraphrasing) that the reviewers who found it funny must have lowered their standards for comedy in games. Ouch indeed. :eek:
  • edited May 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    That PCGamer review was the crankiest one I've read. Saying (I'm paraphrasing) that the reviewers who found it funny must have lowered their standards for comedy in games. Ouch indeed. :eek:

totally agree with you i was very annoyed by what they said. They seriously need to get there heads out of there asses but i guess since they're so big headed they're probably going to have some trouble... better get the serious toothpaste!

guess we gotta have at least one unfair review
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Besides, anyone who capitalizes the second "t" in "Telltale" is not to be trusted.
  • edited May 2007
    I laughed when I read their comment on episode 3 having "literally two new rooms". There were three =P.

I'm pretty sure they were either playing a different game than everyone else or they just have completely the wrong sense of humour for the games.
  • edited May 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    Yeah, as Jake said, if you're going to pay attention to one person's opinion of the game, you have to pay attention to everybody's. And of course, not everybody's going to like it. That's not even a bad thing; if people are complaining, at least they're paying attention, and they've found enough of interest to make a comment. (I don't agree with the eurogamer reviews, for instance, but I definitely appreciate how much thought they've put into them).

But when you get into the territory of saying that your opinion is right and everybody else is lowering his standards, that's just arrogance. Mature people are supposed to acknowledge that others have opinions they disagree with, without having to invalidate other people's opinions. It would be as if I, just for example, said that the guy who wrote that was just bitter because his publication used to be relevant but is now just an obscure internet blog that nobody pays any attention to. Which of course, I'd never say.
    Squinky wrote:
    Besides, anyone who capitalizes the second "t" in "Telltale" is not to be trusted.
    Hmm, I still do that. Am I not to be trusted?
  • edited May 2007
    Chuck wrote: »
    Hmm, I still do that. Am I not to be trusted?
    So do I. Frankly, given that telltale itself propagates the abbreviation TTG I find it rather absurd to expect anyone not to.
    About the review: I guess it was statistically expected to see at least one review like this at some point. Obviously the main issue is a near-total disconnect between the sense of humor of this reviewer and that of the game (and pretty much every other reviewer thus far). Without using the word "sad", I'll just say that luckily this is mostly not our problem..:)
  • edited May 2007
    It is annoying when game reviewers decide they know enough about games that their opinion is absolute. I thought PC gamer had yet to succumb to this trend, but now I'm not so sure.
  • edited May 2007
    I always find magazine reviews to be a bit intolerant, whether I agree with them or not, but I guess it's a matter of conserving space - if you fill your review with phrases like 'I think' and 'in my opinion', you might not fit everything in. Presumably most people reading them are aware that reviews are largely subjective, so they'll take them on board but also mix in their own thoughts when deciding whether or not to buy a game. That aside, I agree that magazine writers do tend to assume a more refined taste in games, and if this can't be seen in their reviews, it can in the rest of the magazine. I think really you have to pity someone whose 'refinement' causes them to dislike something everyone else enjoys.
  • edited May 2007
    They key is to find the magazine who's reviews accurately convey how you feel about certain games.

Back to the main topic. I have no problem with either Sam or Max but I wouldn't mind Max getting more violent. By more I mean a lot. I loved season 1, but I just think this would further optimize the next season.
  • edited May 2007
    I'm not sure how to respond to the guy's claim that they aren't funny, other than "yes they are".
  • edited May 2007
    I guess Sam & Max ain't for everybody. But one can't really blame him for not understanding/liking the humour. Beside, most of the people who hang around this forum are sam & max groupies who has erotic dreams about a sexual encounter with max. The average Joe probably thinks they are less funny than most on this board do, but still find them more funny than this guy obviously does.
  • edited May 2007
    Haha, that's the second* funniest review of Season 1 I've ever seen!

(*) The funniest one being a Swedish one of episode 1, the reviewer kept trashing the game, and telling how bad and unfunny it was, but still gave it an 8 /10, didn't mention one good thing about the game, I love that scoring system :D
  • edited May 2007
    I agree with Mickey's comment. I think the reviews done by PCgamer is unprofessional, as in it reads like some average joe written it. I find that amature reviews are different since they usually focus on trivial items that would make them give the game a lower grade. For instance, I read one amature article that gave FFX a 2 overall just because he didn't like the voice acting; I think he wanted the game mute. When a reviewer criticize another reviewer for liking something, you know that they don't know much about doing a review and believes that their opinion matters more than the next guy.
    I believe there are some training in writing reviews since I dont believe reviews are written in nothing but personal opinions and bashing the competitors.

Some of the pcgamer reviews are bias from what I have read. Rather than reviewing it in a non bias perpective (which is hard to do,) they usually review it under the perpective that all RPG games are compareable or whatever.

I remember they gave the PC port of Grandia 2 a three out of 10 for not being able to create your own characters, race, etc; basically all the stuff you can do in a non console western RPG. He even compared it to some PC Rpgs. LOL I guess it never occured to the guy that console RPGs and Pc RPGs are different and can't really be compared to one another. Different as in other than items, and leve ups, everything else is different.

Grandia 2 on other magazines, btw, received a rating with an 8 or 9.
  • edited May 2007
    Critics don't buy the games, fans do and I respect that. :) The one thing I hate about reviews is they pick one point and then mark a game down because of it. Often ignoring the 99 good things and focusing on the one bad.
  • edited May 2007
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Critics don't buy the games, fans do and I respect that. :) The one thing I hate about reviews is they pick one point and then mark a game down because of it. Often ignoring the 99 good things and focusing on the one bad.

I agree, but I don't like how some critics (some as in all the bias amature ones) use their power in telling others not to buy the game because of their bias opinions. It saddens me that some ppl write reviews to push their agenda onto people in what they should buy rather than giving a thought out scoop in it. Whenever there is a product of a property that two different companies made, someone will make a review to tell others to buy one and bash the others to gain support or show loyality to one company. This is what I call C*c* sucking the other company. Rather than comparing them non biasly, they point out all the flaws on company and ignore the flaws of the other becayse "they have their lips around the other company's C**k." Case in point, the street fighter figures that came out over several years ago. Several reviewers (whom most never touch the other companies' toys) would bash the competitor and praise the other simply because the president of the company would go onto online forums and talks "loudly." The president would make crazy claims like his toys are the ferrari of action figures and that no one is better. The company's sells was bad despite all their c*ck suckers supporting them and the president sold the company, claiming that he was too busy, but sells show that he left just before the company is in deep dodo.

I am honestly glad none of the telltale employees who post here have that larege of an ego to go around and bash Lucas arts or whatever. I also like how you guys don't think out loudly, as in promising something, and not deliver it, the next.
  • edited May 2007
    I treat all reviews as opinions, regardless of what they say.. or claim to say. I did find that review entertaining tho, so I'll give it a thumbs up.

I got a few laughs.. felt a slight bit of annoyance.. just shook my head at some parts.. ..couldn't really ask for more. :)

Oop.. reviewing a review.. silly me. Back to lurking.
  • edited May 2007
    totally agree with you i was very annoyed by what they said. They seriously need to get there heads out of there asses but i guess since they're so big headed they're probably going to have some trouble... better get the serious toothpaste!

guess we gotta have at least one unfair review

btw, sorry for the graphic image lol :D
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Everybody is entitled to his own opinion. That doesn't say an opinion is true, false or anything in between. Its just an opinion.

I don't buy comments ("reviews"), regardless of whom the reviewer is or where he works, if the comment is inconsistent and/or tries to bash other opinions in the process and/or tries to establish itself as the only one that delivers the truth.

The bottom line: This guy didn't like the game, I disagree with most of his comments, I don't like his review style and I chose to ignore his review.
  • edited May 2007
    gotta take the good with the bad.

There are people who don't like the 3 Stooges, or Seinfeld. Comedy is hard. I personally found the script for Season 1, while not ridunkulously funny, in-line with previous incarnations of Sam & Max. HTR wasn't a continuous lollercoaster either (I played through it right before Episode 1 to pump myself up about it). Even in the comics there are some jokes that worked for me and some that didn't. But maintaining a feeling continuity-wise is incredibly hard to do, and I think TellTale did admirably. They still feel like Sam & Max. (Complaining about "Please, Sam, Don't say ___" is like complaining about the very core of Sam&Max)

While some of his criticisms are valid (Eps 1-3 did reuse a lot of incidental comments), some are really off base (there were several items that carried over between episodes, like the Bug and the tear gas gun).

But an important thing I think many people are missing, it's the journalist's blog. It's not a formal review, so it shouldn't be unfairly held to those standards. It's his opinion, not copy that he had to hand to an editor. Few people would care if one of us bashed, say, Phoenix Wright on our blog. His blog just has shiny corporate hosting.
  • edited May 2007
    I wish people would stop bringing up Hit the Road so much. Well, no -- I suppose bringing it up is inevitable, being as it is the first Sam and Max game, but I don't think we should be using it as a yardstick.

I'm pretty sure that "being true to Hit the Road" is approximately nowhere on Telltale's list of goals for this series. It isn't based on Hit the Road, it isn't a sequel to Hit the Road. It contains a few references which is fun, but they're just gags. Now, I liked Hit the Road, but honestly, I liked Season 1 better once it really got going (episodes 4 - 6). I think the two are neck and neck in terms of humor, but for me, Telltale's incarnation works better as a game. Some of the puzzles in HTR were simply incomprehensible, and geez did it take forever to walk to the places you had to walk to. I don't mean to pit the two games against each other, I'm just saying that I don't think Telltale's Sam and Max would benefit from "going back to Hit the Road."

I also have to say that I like this version of Max a lot. They've made him unstable and somewhat naive, yes - an interesting combination - but they haven't made him stupid, which is something that happens too often and really gets on my nerves in games and fiction in general. Max is still able to loquaciously crack wise, and to do so with teeth. Sam isn't on entirely safe ground with his partner either. This exchange from episode 5 was one of my favorites:

Sam: The way you react to the threat of violence amuses me, little buddy.

Max (angrily): You know where you can stick your amusement?

I may not have the words exactly right, but you get the idea.
  • edited May 2007
    Hehe, funnily enough I liked the first few episodes more, when they felt more HTRish. Well, I think I did. I thought all of them were great and it's hard to pick a favourite, but there are things in Telltale's incarnation that I prefer to HTR, balancing out the things I don't. There's nothing wrong with using HTR as a yardstick if you genuinely prefer its characters; obviously you don't, and every opinion is valid. As for Max: yes, he can still make the snide comments, and he does so quite often in the earlier episodes. I don't think it's right for him to have the punchline every time, though, and I think his violent responses are a better way of twisting a joke than the unrelated "look how crazy I am" ones.

Ooh... do I risk turning this into yet another 'the puzzles are too easy' thread? ;) I don't think there was a single incomprehensible puzzle in HTR, to be honest, even if some of them were bloody hard! You could always see why the solution worked once you found it.
  • edited May 2007
    ... and the voice actor for Max changed in episode 2. That sucked! I liked the old actor better! This totally ruined the series for me. 9 thumbs down.

:D:cool:
  • edited May 2007
    fhqwhgads wrote: »
    ... and the voice actor for Max changed in episode 2. That sucked! I liked the old actor better! This totally ruined the series for me. 9 thumbs down.

:D:cool:

I take it you're trying to say that complaining about one inconsistency intrinsically means I must dislike all change. That's clearly not the case, and if you read my justification you'd see why.
  • edited May 2007
    Well I LIKED SEASON ONE! yeah, despite the easy puzzles (I actually quite liked the logic of them) and the limitations of the environment it was fun. I giggled a lot and found the characters very faithful to their comic counterparts which in the end, is the TRUE Sam & Max. Alas, it's always going to be compaired to HTR, which is unfair really. They may use the same characters but they aren't the same! it's like compairing Maniac Mansion to Day of the Tentacle. Sure they're technically following on from the other but they're very very different games. (and I LIKE maniac mansion, even if it is old and irritating in the whole being able to die respect)
  • edited May 2007
    I know the HTR Sam and Max aren't the originals, but that doesn't mean I can't prefer them. We'd never progress anywhere if we persisted in believing that the first version of anything must be the best, which is, of course, an argument people who prefer the Telltale characters to the HTR ones can use equally well. It's just a matter of personal taste.
  • jmmjmm
    edited May 2007
    Not playing devil's advocate but HTR was more loosely based on S&M than TT Season 1. Which you prefer is a matter of personal taste, but that doesn't say a thing about which version is more truthfully based on Purcell's original idea.
  • edited May 2007
    I am sure that we can use the excuse that Max isn't the originial Max. I mean, it is said that Max has a lifespan of 5 years and in Badside of the moon, he was resurrected. Maybe Max is a figment of Sam's imagination. Like Scarface is to his puppeteer in the batman comics. It is possible that everytime Max dies, Sam 's scihzo comes to play as his thumb and has to go to the moon to make another Max. It is as if Max's soul went to Sam's thumb, but in reality, it is all in Sam's head. Didn't they had to scan Sam's noggin to bring back Max in that episode/comic?

Guess each time they scan Sam, Max is resurrected, but with a slightly different personality.
  • edited May 2007
    yeah but...knowing max,he'd probably tell sam something like:
    Max:Hey look,sam!I'm a figment of your imagination!
    Sam:Heh,you crack me up little buddy.

it is in the purpose of comedy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.