Sam and Max's changing personalities

2»

Comments

• edited May 2007
    doom saber wrote: »
    I am sure that we can use the excuse that Max isn't the originial Max. I mean, it is said that Max has a lifespan of 5 years and in Badside of the moon, he was resurrected. Maybe Max is a figment of Sam's imagination. Like Scarface is to his puppeteer in the batman comics. It is possible that everytime Max dies, Sam 's scihzo comes to play as his thumb and has to go to the moon to make another Max. It is as if Max's soul went to Sam's thumb, but in reality, it is all in Sam's head. Didn't they had to scan Sam's noggin to bring back Max in that episode/comic?

Guess each time they scan Sam, Max is resurrected, but with a slightly different personality.

If this were true, I wouldn't know since I never read the Comics, it would explain why in episode 1, Sybil continualy refers to Max as Sam's imaginary friend.
  • edited May 2007
    jmm wrote: »
    Not playing devil's advocate but HTR was more loosely based on S&M than TT Season 1. Which you prefer is a matter of personal taste, but that doesn't say a thing about which version is more truthfully based on Purcell's original idea.

That's exactly what I said ;) But I think liking the characters is more important than them being traditional.
  • edited May 2007
    I take it you're trying to say that complaining about one inconsistency intrinsically means I must dislike all change. That's clearly not the case, and if you read my justification you'd see why.

Actually I was just being generally sarcastic and annoying. Carry on ;)
  • edited May 2007
    Then I apologise :)
  • edited May 2007
    The character of Sam has changed a bit over every one of his incarnations, not just from these episodes and from Hit the Road but also from the TV series and the comics.

In the TV series Sam was more active and showed cases of being capable of extreme violence like Max (particually if he was given a "Pink Belly") and he interacted with Max more physically such as throwing him to divert attention and letting Max take the abuse while he escaped.

I suppose the main reason for Sam's 'downtoning' is because he is the character that the player controls thus he has to be limited in his actions so the game is actually playable.

Max's comedic nature IMO is his reckless behavior and his little regard over whether Sam survives an encounter or not. In one of the TV episodes Max shows distress over Sam not being there (ep 9 I think) and tries to get him back to normal mostly because he misses the traditions formed between them.
    This is by no means an accurate summation of their personalities just my own musings.

Personally I would like the return of Max being able to be used like an item ala Hit the Road and the inclusion of puzzles that require you to combine different items to solve puzzles.
  • edited May 2007
    Quite right, one of the things I especially like about the tv series is how it shows that the only reason Sam is comparatively sane and stable is because the comparison is with Max :p That's something that's often implied elsewhere as well but never comes across as succesfully as in the cartoon.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.