Sooo anyone belive time travel is possible

edited February 2012 in Back to the Future
So anyone here have any theorys of time travel, a lot of people say there are 'tears' in space and time allowing you to travel throught time for a short amount of time, but most people who claim they have fell victim to this have been proved to be lying sooo...

Anyway Einsteins theory M = sqaure (I think thats the one) says time travel is not possible but he might be wrong.

Personally I think if it was real we would all be screwed and everything would be diffrent anyway so it has not happened.

(If that makes any sense)

Comments

• edited January 2012
    If one were to travel back in time, he'd just be going to an alternate reality anyway so no, our own current time line doesn't change, if that was what you were asking.
  • edited January 2012
    I don't believe time travel is possible. If it does then I hope no one tries invent it. That's the kind of thing that can be abused to create an alternate timeline. Not to mention that you can't avoid paradoxes in reality.
  • edited January 2012
    I believe in time travel... forwards only. That's essentially what Einstein's relativity theory is talking about. After all, it's been almost an hour since the OP posted this, so he's moved that amount of time ahead in time.
  • I believe in time travel... forwards only. That's essentially what Einstein's relativity theory is talking about. After all, it's been almost an hour since the OP posted this, so he's moved that amount of time ahead in time.

actually thats just time. But i agree Einsteins theory seems to be the most plausible that being travel to the future is only possible. Now that being said there's been possible instances, the philadelphia experiment for example which may or may not have resulted in 10 sectonds into the past.
  • edited January 2012
    actually thats just time. But i agree Einsteins theory seems to be the most plausible that being travel to the future is only possible. Now that being said there's been possible instances, the philadelphia experiment for example which may or may not have resulted in 10 sectonds into the past.

That's just an urban legend, that has already been debunked many times. I'm interested in those apparently time traveling neutrinos at Cern :).
  • edited January 2012
    If time travel is possible, it is only possible to do moving forward through time.

If time travel were possible moving backwards through time, we would already have tourists from the future all over the place.
  • edited January 2012
    Scnew wrote: »
    If time travel is possible, it is only possible to do moving forward through time.

If time travel were possible moving backwards through time, we would already have tourists from the future all over the place.

What if we're in "Timeline A."
  • edited January 2012

I believe that time travel would follow Terminator Rules.
  • edited January 2012
    alternate time travel, for the win. the universe is just tooo big for just a singular time line. if your gonna mess up the past, i say do it as many times as you want and do it in a delorean!
  • edited January 2012
    yoman45135 wrote: »
    Anyway Einsteins theory M = sqaure (I think thats the one) says time travel is not possible but he might be wrong.

Yes, in fact, that is the one. M = sqaure in Einsteinese means time travel is not possible.
  • edited January 2012
    E=mc^2

Energy=mass times speed-of-light in a vaucuum squared.

(The time-travel one is the theory of relativity, however.)
  • edited January 2012
    Of course, time is just a thing made up by humans, and is not actually in existance. Or something. I don't recall where I heard this. I think it was QI.
  • It could be done, if you had enough energy. About as much energy it would take to go the speed of light. Then you would be able to go to the future but not the past. Who knows maybe a lighting bolt would work.
  • edited January 2012
    E=mc^2

Energy=mass times speed-of-light in a vaucuum squared.

(The time-travel one is the theory of relativity, however.)

...and this theory, as well as many others are currently being questioned from recent claims made of particles recorded going faster than the speed of light. Especially at this time, I feel most hypothesis' could be considered.
  • edited January 2012
    Ribs wrote: »
    Of course, time is just a thing made up by humans, and is not actually in existance. Or something. I don't recall where I heard this. I think it was QI.

This was always my own theory on why time travel is not possible. Time is just a concept humans came up with to measure. Like the metric systems.
  • Origami wrote: »
    This was always my own theory on why time travel is not possible. Time is just a concept humans came up with to measure. Like the metric systems.

The metric system is a method to measure the distance across space and humans can traverse space.
  • edited January 2012
    I don't believe in time ^^
  • edited January 2012
    Time, What Is Time
  • edited February 2012

Nah, I think we're in "Timeline V". V just sounds better than A.
  • edited February 2012
    Origami wrote: »

Well certain things in time is right but some of it is made up.
  • edited February 2012
    Time travel is possible, we do it all the time. Traveling at a normal rate through space and time, now there are many tricky loop holes about time traveling. 1st you have to be traveling at the speed of light (not impossible, but improbable). 2nd you would have to generate 2 wormholes at the same spot side by side, one traveling at normal speed and the other traveling at the speed of light, and 3rd you need an atom smasher and the closest one is in California (I think, if i'm wrong please correct me).
  • edited February 2012
    I don't think it is possible right now. Of course we constantly travel to the future and that process may be relative and stuff but that is not what many people imagine when we say "time travel". People actually require some way to travel both ways, future and past, otherwise it won't help much, unless you want to take the risk and travel and live in the future, hoping it will be better for you than this era.

First of all I believe there's just a single universe that contains matter, energy or perhaps other stuff that we haven't discovered yet... And nothing gets actually created from nothing or erased from existence. To me, "time" is the sequence of "moments". And a "moment" is one possible arrangement of everything that makes up the universe. So time doesn't actually exist, it's just the stuff in universe moving, changing shape and form etc.

So if we can find a way to arrange everything in universe back to some older moment's arrangement, we will have taken time back. Of course, if we took everything back, same things will happen and we will just end up having created a loop in history that we won't even remember having done such thing.

Put the problem of "how can the entire universe be arranged" aside, in order to get some kind of advantage, we need to keep ourselves out of this "rollback". For example time traveler's physical and mental state has to stay as it is for him to have "time travelled". If we can find a way, perhaps we can exlude the time traveler from this process. However as I mentioned above, I don't believe one particle (smallest possible particle) can be present twice in space. Therefore I think this will create a problem because the stuff that makes up the time traveler won't be able to complete that past arrangement of the universe. If you travel to yesterday, molecules that make you up won't take their part in yesterday's arrangement. What if you travel to your childhood and most of the molecules you had in your body back then are not taken back?

I heard that they managed to move some electron or something through time and I don't know the details. But as I said, to me a "particle's timeline" just shows it's state through our imaginary concept of time. It doesn't mean every seperate moment of that particle can coexist in a single moment.

But of course, I can't prove any of my assumptions to begin with and there's always the possibility of some new thing to be discovered that ends up crucial to the idea, so who knows.
  • edited February 2012
    You can travel to the future by freezing yourself (I THINK that's possible) but that's different from actual time travel IMO because you're not seeing you're own future. You're just asleep for a LONG time.
  • edited February 2012
    it is confusing but still possible.
  • edited February 2012
    I still say that if time travel were possible, we'd constantly have people from various points the future among us.

But for the sake of argument, let's say there are timelines.

So let's say that in the year 3000, Bob decides to travel back in time to 2012. He builds his time machine and sets off from Timeline A. He arrives in Timeline B, which differs from the original version of 2012 which did not have Bob from the Future in it.

Now Bob is stuck in this Timeline B. If he goes forward in time again, he arrives in the B's version of the year 3000. Just like Doc tells Marty when he suggests going to 2015 from Biffworld's 1985, they'd be going to the future of that timeline, not the future they were in previously. Maybe it's exactly the same, maybe it's not. But either way, now back in Timeline A, you have the people who are waiting for Bob to come back. Bob never comes back, obviously, because there is no way for him to go forward from the Timeline A version of 2012.
  • edited February 2012
    Since time does not exist the way you are conceiving of it, no, it can't be done. There's no time to move through.
  • edited February 2012
    I saw some show on the Discovery Channel where someone said that if sci-fi style time travel were possible, then one could only travel to points in time occurring after the required time machine was created, and that said time machine would have to be about as big as the universe.
  • edited February 2012
    I still say that if time travel were possible, we'd constantly have people from various points the future among us.

But for the sake of argument, let's say there are timelines.

But we can't say there isn't time travel just because we haven't seen anyone from future. What if last week's lottery winner did actually get the numbers from his future self? Or perhaps some random people you met and had a chat somewhere were actually tourists from future? You will never know unless they tell and prove you personally.

And I don't like multiple timelines idea because then it wouldn't be Time Travel but rather jumping between timelines, parallel universes. It's like abandoning your reality to live in a better one, not actually changing yours to be better. Also if there were multiple timelines, you would be extra in the timeline you travel to and there will be two of you. No need for any of you to get erased because you actually came from a seperate universe, why should one of you have to be erased and replaced? So you can't just claim that other dimension yours and start living there.
    Since time does not exist the way you are conceiving of it, no, it can't be done. There's no time to move through.
    But check my post above, regardless of how we conceive time, things can be arranged to some older moment's arrangement, theoratically. The real problem is that if there is any way to accomplish this.

What if there is some other stuff which is irrelevant to mechanics of universe? Let's say there's some form of energy which can be used to arrange entire universe (matter and energy) while there is no need for this special energy to be arranged back?
    I saw some show on the Discovery Channel where someone said that if sci-fi style time travel were possible, then one could only travel to points in time occurring after the required time machine was created, and that said time machine would have to be about as big as the universe.

Lol, sounds like system restore point :)
  • edited February 2012
    WareKurt wrote: »

Off topic:

That actually saved me from a virus once!
  • edited February 2012
    WareKurt wrote: »
    But we can't say there isn't time travel just because we haven't seen anyone from future. What if last week's lottery winner did actually get the numbers from his future self? Or perhaps some random people you met and had a chat somewhere were actually tourists from future? You will never know unless they tell and prove you personally.

And I don't like multiple timelines idea because then it wouldn't be Time Travel but rather jumping between timelines, parallel universes. It's like abandoning your reality to live in a better one, not actually changing yours to be better. Also if there were multiple timelines, you would be extra in the timeline you travel to and there will be two of you. No need for any of you to get erased because you actually came from a seperate universe, why should one of you have to be erased and replaced? So you can't just claim that other dimension yours and start living there.

But check my post above, regardless of how we conceive time, things can be arranged to some older moment's arrangement, theoratically. The real problem is that if there is any way to accomplish this.

What if there is some other stuff which is irrelevant to mechanics of universe? Let's say there's some form of energy which can be used to arrange entire universe (matter and energy) while there is no need for this special energy to be arranged back?

This is a fallacy argument. "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence." however any claim made must be validated by empirical evidence. There are thousands of things that could be, but without empirical evidence it's simply flights of fancy. It's the same reason you can't prove God.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.