Web Site Question

edited February 2012 in The Walking Dead
OK - why do I have to enter my b-day every time I go to the site? I've registered; the site knows my name. May not be important to some but a nuisance to me. Anyway to fix it?

Comments

• edited February 2012
    That's what I asked for... you can even set your birthdate in these forum's control panel, if you are logged in, the website shouldn't ask.
  • edited February 2012
    It's to prevent minors from accessing The Walking Dead. Steam makes you do the same when looking at M rated games. It might be a US law.
  • edited February 2012
    It's to prevent minors from accessing The Walking Dead. Steam makes you do the same when looking at M rated games. It might be a US law.

Yup, I get that, but if they already have our info in our profiles while we are logged in, they should let us pass or not, according to our age.
  • _BrYan__BrYan_ Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2012
    It's not US law, it's ESRB law.

Even small companies like us are on the ESRB radar, and we get fined big bucks for infractions. I'll speak with the web team to see if we can streamline things at all (this IS our first M rated game), but the rule is that any video that advertises an M rated product must ask the user for a date of birth.
  • edited February 2012
    _BrYan_ wrote: »

Even small companies like us are on the ESRB radar, and we get fined big bucks for infractions. I'll speak with the web team to see if we can streamline things at all (this IS our first M rated game), but the rule is that any video that advertises an M rated product must ask the user for a date of birth.

Which is a pointless law since children can just as easily lie, but thanks for the response. Glad I know why this stuff happens at least.
  • edited February 2012
    _BrYan_ wrote: »

In an unrelated note, what would happen if you DIDN'T have a thing to enter your B-Day for an M-rated game and then you were fined but DIDN'T pay the fine, what would happen? I know there are some obvious answers to this; but it's an intriguing subject that no one usually asks about so now's a better time than never, right?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2012
    Odds are the ESRB wouldn't rate the game, which would mean Microsoft and Sony wouldn't carry it in their US marketplaces.
  • edited February 2012
    I know that many other games are doing the same thing but doesn't learn more just sound extremely boring? Especially when thinking about a game my first thoughts aren't about that i want to learn something in the first place.
  • edited February 2012
    It's really not that big of a deal, but thanks for the response. (I do check the website often, though!)
  • edited February 2012
    I believe they've done the changes, if you're not logged in, it will ask you for your birth date, but if you're logged and you have a birth date that states you are older than 18, it won't ask again.

Thanks for listening!!!
  • edited February 2012
    Jake wrote: »
    Odds are the ESRB wouldn't rate the game, which would mean Microsoft and Sony wouldn't carry it in their US marketplaces.

Really? Well the more you know... I thought they could shut down the company, or something...
  • edited February 2012
    Really? Well the more you know... I thought they could shut down the company, or something...

Microsoft and Sony not carrying it in the US marketplaces could do serious damage to a company, so you're partly correct.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2012

Nah. ESRB ratings are voluntary, but most retail outlets (and downloadable game stores like Xbox Live Arcade) won't carry an unrated game. Steam will carry unrated games, because a lot of downloadable indie games aren't rated due to the cost and effort involved. Telltale games weren't rated for years -- we only started submitting our games to the ESRB when we started putting games out on consoles with Strong Bad and Wallace & Gromit. Now that we're multiplatform and a lot bigger, basically everything which comes out of TTG is rated.
This discussion has been closed.