The zombies on the front page look...funny.

I don't know, there's something off about them. Besides the obvious fact that they're zombies.

Is this just me?

Comments

• They do look too cartoony, but that's just Telltale graphics.

Take Law & Order, Back to the Future, and Jurassic Park for examples. The graphics are pure cartoon.
  • edited March 2012
    I think they look pretty faithful to the source material .. let me show you what I mean...

Here is a comparison shot from TTG and from a panel from the comic.
    zombiesj.jpg

NOW lets take that same image take out the color and some of the midtones (sacrificing some of the awesome detail unfortunately) and here is what we have... I personally do not see anything wrong with what I have seen from this game so far.
    zombies2j.jpg
  • edited March 2012
    It does look a little better there.

Hmm, I just realized how important being black and white is to how The Walking Dead looks.
  • edited March 2012
    I am ok with it being in color.. For all the reasons mentioned in this video... Skip to 1:55 to hear the part addressing black and white.
    http://cdn.telltalegames.com/videos/walkingdead/QA1.mp4
  • edited March 2012
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I think they look pretty faithful to the source material .. let me show you what I mean...

Here is a comparison shot from TTG and from a panel from the comic.
    zombiesj.jpg

NOW lets take that same image take out the color and some of the midtones (sacrificing some of the awesome detail unfortunately) and here is what we have... I personally do not see anything wrong with what I have seen from this game so far.
    zombies2j.jpg

Wow that does make the zombies look more like the comic books. Telltale need to just show this whenever they explain their artstyle.
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah... I think it looks great... I also think that in static shots the black and white looks cool.. but for a game that is moving and has details you need to pay attention to it would be lost if it was in B&W.. that is when color really is the way to go..

Sorry... I think I may have derailed this topic..
  • See, now That's much better.
  • edited March 2012
    just wait until we see it moving with sound and music... I think it will be something really special.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2012
    The game is certainly not black and white, but it is less saturated than that zombie image on the homepage. Also, Irishmile, that's an awesome comparison pic. The game would look crazy in motion with that filtering over the top of it, but it does show where our art team was going for inspiration.
  • edited March 2012
    It's interesting how the black & white and filtered images look so much scarier..
  • edited March 2012
    They covered this a little bit in the show they're running about the game.
  • edited March 2012
    Jake wrote: »
    The game is certainly not black and white, but it is less saturated than that zombie image on the homepage. Also, Irishmile, that's an awesome comparison pic. The game would look crazy in motion with that filtering over the top of it, but it does show where our art team was going for inspiration.

I really like the art style when it is shown how Irishmile showed it because it shows how similar to the comics the game's art is, like you said Jake. I just think that you guys should definitely explain this in a lot of your videos or whatever so that the public understands. From what I have seen so far, I'm buying this but you guys should let people know why the art looks the way that it does and I think people that were skeptical about the look of the walkers will be convinced and buy it which will help sell more copies. I know I have been one of the people complaining about how JP:TG turned out (extreme fans of something will always criticize what is created with that something's name on it :D) but it was still one of the best JP games of all time, BTTF:TG was obviously the the best BTTF game ever released and they both should have sold way more copies because what Telltale did with the licences really was great despite what people (including me) say. Your The Walking Dead game will probably sell very well considering that its based on a franchise that is going on right now and because of the fact that Telltale knows how to build a game, but the advertising and stuff needs help. If you guys cant do a commercial during the show (which would pay itself off upon release because of how many more sales you would make because of the commercial) or wtvr then at least get your videos around in different ways and explain why the game looks the way it does and it will do great!
  • edited March 2012
    Ummm but they did let people know about it. It's in the first episode of their coverage.
  • edited March 2012
    Would be a nice option if, say, after you complete an episode, you gain the option to play it in Black and White just to experience it. Or just turn down saturation on your monitor.
  • edited March 2012
    I actually would rather the game be in color... If given a choice I would want them to color the books too... the covers in color look pretty cool to me.
This discussion has been closed.