Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones (moved)

edited March 2012 in General Chat
Moved from the King Graham with a mustache thread

Lucas and Spielberg originally wanted Tom Selleck to be Indiana Jones and his mustache was his trademark..

If that had happened he would have had one in the adventure games..

Artist Interpretation
selleck.jpg

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Harrison Ford as Indy had an epic beard in the Mystery of the Blues episode of Young Indy...

But not as epic as the beard on the guy on the box of the last Medal of Honor game or the ZZ Top band members...
  • edited March 2012
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Lucas and Spielberg originally wanted Tom Selleck to be Indiana Jones and his mustache was his trademark..

If that had happened he would have had one in the adventure games..

Artist Interpretation
    selleck.jpg

No Selleck would've had to shave his mustache for the role...
    Ironically, Selleck looked EXACTLY like the concept art for Indy, when they conceived what Indy would look like (long before it came time for casting).
    mo_02.jpeg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1294077388288

And a mustache-less Tom Selleck:
    esq-30-selleck-shave-041411-lg.jpg
  • edited March 2012
  • edited March 2012
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    article-1395085-0C70D3BA00000578-972_224x423.jpg

Selleck and the Indy screentest...

screentest

Screentest

SCREENTEST

SCREENTEST
  • edited March 2012
    I took your post as countering the idea that Tom Selleck was going to shave his moustache if he was in the final movie. Otherwise why post it? My point was that just because Selleck had a moustache in the screentest does not mean he'd still have one in the final movie.
  • edited March 2012
    Why post it? Because it related to the topic (that is the limit to how far Selleck got into the process of playing Indy) before they chose Harrison Ford... It's an amusing photo...

Ironically it may be the mustache as to why Selleck didn't become Indy, he turned down Indiana Jones, to play Thomas Magnum in Magnum P.I.! Where he is well known for his 'mustache'...

You apparently are easily 'defensive'...

BTW, here is that bearded Indy, I was talking about (that's more than just a lame mustache);
    tumblr_lic7emPiyt1qh1fveo1_400.jpg

Also, let's not forget, Indy had a scruffy beard as early as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

indiana_jones_temple_of_doom.jpg

Indy is an scruffy unshaven beard man...

lego+indy.jpg
  • edited March 2012
    Why post it? Because it related to the topic (that is the limit to how far Selleck got into the process of playing Indy) before they chose Harrison Ford... It's an amusing photo...

Ironically it may be the mustache as to why Selleck didn't become Indy, he turned down Indiana Jones, to play Thomas Magnum in Magnum P.I.! Where he is well known for his 'mustache'...

You apparently are easily 'defensive'...

BTW, here is that bearded Indy, I was talking about (that's more than just a lame mustache);
    tumblr_lic7emPiyt1qh1fveo1_400.jpg

Also, let's not forget, Indy had a scruffy beard as early as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

indiana_jones_temple_of_doom.jpg

Indy is an scruffy unshaven beard man...

lego+indy.jpg

Actually, Selleck was CAST in the role of Indy. He was the first choice to play the role, was screen tested and Spielberg & Lucas liked the test. He didn't just screen test and turn it down. It had nothing to do with his mustache. The head of CBS had a feud going with Lucas at the time and out of spite wouldn't let Selleck out of his contract to do Magnum, PI (Which had just been greenlit). There was a bunch of BS and in the end, Ford was chosen just TWO WEEKS before filming began as a last minute choice. Lucas didn't initially want Harrison as he didn't want Harrison to become his "Bobby DeNiro" (As in, Martin Scorsese from the 70s-early 90s had DeNiro star in almost every major film he made--He didn't want that with Ford).
  • edited March 2012
    Anakin, the "mustache' remark was a 'joke'. No one has senses of humor anymore on the 'internets'...

I blame Baba Yaga... some people needs their 'good humor bars'...

Also I like Magnum P.I. If the CBS producers had let him out of the contract, that show might not have existed... That would have sucked... So good for CBS...
  • edited March 2012
    Anakin, the "mustache' remark was a 'joke'. No one has senses of humor anymore on the 'internets'...

I blame Baba Yaga... some people needs their 'good humor bars'...

Also I like Magnum P.I. If the CBS producers had let him out of the contract, that show might not have existed... That would have sucked... So good for CBS...

The show would've existed, ironically enough. There ended up being a writer's strike, which shut down production on Magnum, PI for six months--At the same time Raiders of the Lost Ark was filming. So he would've been able to do both.
  • edited March 2012
    I also like Harrison Ford as indy, and I am glad he got the role.
  • edited March 2012
    I also like Harrison Ford as indy, and I am glad he got the role.

Yeah me too... he was iconic.. I think Selleck is a great actor.. but he would not have been as good... but not everyone is cool like Ford.

also.. I have NEVER seen that cartoony Graham.. WOW!
  • edited March 2012

It's hard to believe you even have a sense of humour since you're well-known as the community pedant. I'm not defensive, I just jump at the chance to prove you wrong for once. :)

You could have said something like "On the subject of Tom Selleck as Indy, here's a picture of the screen test he did..." and it wouldn't have been misconstrued as malicious or competitive in the midst of a debate about whether Selleck would have had to shave his moustache for the role of Indy or not, rather than just saying "Selleck as Indy".

Then again, knowing you, if you WERE to counterpoint, it would have been a wall of text.

Also:

153.jpg
  • edited March 2012
    You could have said something like "On the subject of Tom Selleck as Indy, here's a picture of the screen test he did..."

That's basically paraphrased what I said, On 'Selleck and his Indy screentest'.
  • edited March 2012
    Read my post again. I had to edit it for more explanation.

I always do that. Hands up all those that post first and edit later! It's a problem...
  • edited March 2012
    rather than just saying "Selleck as Indy"

Yep, and I never said, "Selleck as Indy", I was specific that it was just a 'screentest' from the beginning. I typed "Selleck and the Indy screentest" :).

Please don't misquote me!

Also like you said, if I was going to debate it would have been a long list of counterpoints and cited evidence, an essay on why someone is wrong...
  • edited March 2012
    It really doesn't matter either way guys because there is NO way to prove if he would have had to shave it off or not .. because he didn't end up in the film.

I personally think he would have had it because it WAS his trademark at the time... in fact when he shaved it the media made a big deal... and Indiana having one would not have impacted the story at all and the movie was made in the 80's when having one was fashionable.. even if the movie was set decades earlier. ... Kate Capshaw got to have 80's hair in Temple of Doom.
  • edited March 2012
    High Road to China which starred Selleck... was very much an adventure movie in the vein of 1930's serials and Indiana Jones... Probably made cash in on the success of Raiders...

He got to keep his mustache, LOL.
  • edited March 2012
    It really doesn't matter either way guys because there is NO way to prove if he would have had to shave it off or not .. because he didn't end up in the film.

I personally think he would have had it because it WAS his trademark at the time... in fact when he shaved it the media made a big deal... and Indiana having one would not have impacted the story at all and the movie was made in the 80's when having one was fashionable.. even if the movie was set decades earlier. ... Kate Capshaw got to have 80's hair in Temple of Doom.

Tom Selleck didn't have a "Trademark" in 1980 (when Raiders was shot) because he was a pretty much unknown actor...Magnum PI didn't premiere until December 1980. He didn't have any trademark or image with the public thus no media frenzy over how he looked at the time. Spielberg & Lucas had a very specific image of Indy in their mind as far back as 1978 and it was a cleanshaven, square jawed, "All American" sort of looking guy; Selleck and Ford fit this sort of image--A call back to the actors of the 1930s and 1940s. While Caphsaw's "80s hair" is stretching it, a thick moustache would not have been in Indy anyway because outside of older guys and foreigners, they weren't popular in America in the 1930s when Indy is set. Only small mustaches like Clark Gable's were...At the very most, Selleck as Indy might've had that. But it's more likely he would've been cleanshaven.
  • edited March 2012
    I am a little sad nobody noticed that his mustache is an inventory item in that altered screencap.
  • edited March 2012
    I am a little sad nobody noticed that his mustache is an inventory item in that altered screencap.

Because nobody gives a flying f-oh you're right, that's pretty neat!
  • edited March 2012
    I noticed!
  • edited March 2012
    Oh Davies, you made me think that you've hidden some funny message in your post (I mean, "I noticed!" is centred, and there's lots of space). But you didn't. You disappoint me, Davies.
  • edited March 2012
    Farlander wrote: »
    Oh Davies, you made me think that you've hidden some funny message in your post (I mean, "I noticed!" is centred, and there's lots of space). But you didn't. You disappoint me, Davies.

Uh... it's an anagram for "Icon Tied"! Yeah, that's it.
    Alter Only.
  • edited March 2012
    The missing link(s):

chipdale2-468x600.jpg

Tom-Selleck-4-e1299269459546.jpg

g_magnum_01.jpg
Sign in to comment in this discussion.