What if the fans want an open world zombie game?

edited April 2012 in The Walking Dead
In a interview about the game it was said that they didn't want to make another open world game. I was just thinking about how cool it would be, I was just wondering how many of you would still like to see a open world The walking Dead game. Add your own ideas and what you think would be cool. I think that using hoards of zombies as a deterrent for travel would be cool. Also figuring out how you would deal with other people you come across. Would you befriend them or kill them on site just to take their gear. I mean what would you gain from letting them join your group. A carpenter could help you make better barricades and a mechanic could fix cars. If you kill them on site then you will never know.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Open world games make it harder to tell a story, and I think this one is pretty heavy on the narrative. I don't think an open world zombie game would fit the Walking Dead. I would love an open world zombie game with a few RPG elements, but this makes it easier to focus on human interaction.

I would buy a zombie open world game if it had RPG elements Fallout style. In fact, I think Bethesda might be the best developer to make it.
  • edited April 2012
    Looks like you should play "Dead rising" saga.

TWD it's more "realistic", i mean, how would you deal with the respawn after dying? And which targets and objective missions would be right for TWD? A couple.

A RPG zombie surviving horror game would not work. Gets boring quickly. Not to mention could'nt be TWD.
  • edited April 2012
    Very much agreed, a open world styled adaptation of TWD as a whole would not work. Bethesda would be the go to developer for a game like that though. jus not telltale or anyone else for that matter. i do like the idea though an hopefully just maybe after this game is out an its impact is enough, those of us who do want a open world decison making moral affecting free roam zombie game. the market just may be open to such a game.
  • edited April 2012
    there will be some areas that are open they already stated that.
  • edited April 2012
    How about an action/roguelike zombie game where the city/world is randomly generated each time and dying is permanent? That might actually be kind of fun, although not really fitting for The Walking Dead.
  • edited April 2012
    Not to promote another game on the site, but Dead State might be what you're looking for. If it ever comes out, that is. From what I can tell it's just a VERY small team making the game, and by small I mean less than five (?). Looks interesting though. Not connected to TWD but not a fps either.
    (I'm not connected with that game in any way. I just check the website for updates which are few and far between.)
  • edited April 2012
    Dead state looked good but I doubt its ever coming out it has been in the making for like 3 years without much to show for it and now they are trying to do that kickstarter thingto get money of the fans. Seems like its vaporware.
    Project zomboid is open world as well.
  • edited April 2012
    Play Dead island though it kinda lacks a good storyline but it was still a fun game.
  • edited April 2012
    Look up Class 3 and Class 4
    Coming out for Xbox by the development team, Undead Labs. Look it up, drool over it, I know I am.
  • edited April 2012
    Telltale only make adventure games, so of course open world games are out of the question.
    Open world games make it harder to tell a story, as was the case for "dead Island". I got bored of that quickly, as it didn't have a deep narrative to pull me in.
  • edited April 2012
    Lupus wrote: »
    In a interview about the game it was said that they didn't want to make another open world game. I was just thinking about how cool it would be, I was just wondering how many of you would still like to see a open world The walking Dead game. Add your own ideas and what you think would be cool. I think that using hoards of zombies as a deterrent for travel would be cool. Also figuring out how you would deal with other people you come across. Would you befriend them or kill them on site just to take their gear. I mean what would you gain from letting them join your group. A carpenter could help you make better barricades and a mechanic could fix cars. If you kill them on site then you will never know.

Good to see you did zero research on the game at all. Seriously, the comics are NOT about what you just stated. It is about survival, what idiot would go traveling the world if they have a perfectly good shelter? The only time the group travels is when their base fails somehow.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm still waiting for that open world RPG set in the scope of Skyrim, Fallout, etc. with the basis being a zombie apocalypse. I'd like a game where I can traverse across most of the country (or have more of it added with expansions) where I can see the world as it would appear in that post apocalyptic environment.

I could see Disney World with Mickey shambling around as a zombie. Haha.

For me, if I was in that scene, I wouldn't bunker down and hide. Resources only last for so long. You'd have to be a nomad. You might settle somewhere for a bit, but eventually you'd need to move. Especially if the infestation was too bad.

But yeah, I'm waiting for that game myself. I used to like the storyline RPG's with linear gameplay. Now I like open world games and end up spending hundreds of hours on them.

EDIT:

I thought I should add... I would want an open world MMORPG. Not just a single player game.
  • edited April 2012
    The best open world zombie game i've played is an indie project still in alpha called Project Zomboid.

While it's still in alpha what the makers want to do with it, to me atleast, makes it the perfect zombie survival game, with a major emphasis on 'survival'.
  • harrisonpinkharrisonpink Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    The best open world zombie game i've played is an indie project still in alpha called Project Zomboid.

While it's still in alpha what the makers want to do with it, to me atleast, makes it the perfect zombie survival game, with a major emphasis on 'survival'.

I love Project Zomboid! You should totally support these guys! :)
  • edited April 2012
    Bought Project Zomboid after hearing about it here. Wonderful game! I've never experienced hopelessness in a game before. I hope - ;) - the development continues for it. (Fear not. I'm still buying TWD, though.)
  • edited April 2012
    I love Project Zomboid! You should totally support these guys! :)

Well you know, minus the break-in with the source code stolen and zero backups.
  • harrisonpinkharrisonpink Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2012
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Well you know, minus the break-in with the source code stolen and zero backups.

They're back on track, and have been for a while. :)
  • edited April 2012
    I've played open world games before and rarely came across anyone useful. Just saying.
  • edited April 2012
    It seems, basing on the small sample size from youtube comments etc, the people wanting an Open World game are under 15. I wish kids today would accept the experience of a story driven game, even if "shock and horror" it's similar to a point and click adventure game.
  • edited April 2012
    Somewhat on/off topic, I went ahead and purchased Project Zomboid today!!! From what I can tell it is absolutely amazing! Unfortunately this PC is hooked to my 50" TV and even at the relatively low 1360x768 resolution everything looks way too small and the javabase doesn't take up the whole screen. Anyone know a way to change quality/size settings?

I'll play it at 1280x1024 monday at my shop, 15" from my face so I can see it on my 20" monitor, but would be nice to play at home too.

Will tide me over til tuesday anyway. Yay TWD!!!
  • edited April 2012
    ADavidson wrote: »
    Somewhat on/off topic, I went ahead and purchased Project Zomboid today!!! ...... Anyone know a way to change quality/size settings?

Not sure if you can because it is pre-alpha. The next version is coming out in 2 -3 weeks. Maybe then?
  • edited April 2012
    I'm OK with restricted world game for the first series. I'm not OK with no release date being given for ios. I was expecting this game on the 24th for my ipad 2.
  • edited April 2012
    tolli wrote: »
    I'm OK with restricted world game for the first series. I'm not OK with no release date being given for ios. I was expecting this game on the 24th for my ipad 2.

Wait what?

1.First series? You DO realise only one telltale game has ever gotten a sequal right?
    2.The Walking Dead isn't about open world anyway
    3.That's your own fault on the ios. Telltale never sync up their PC dates with their other platform dates because it only delays the PC version.
  • edited April 2012
    Wait what?.

Yes?
    1.First series? You DO realise only one telltale game has ever gotten a sequal right?.

He COULD of been reffering to the episodes, not another season. Though It's pretty hard to tell with his wording itn'it? Also tow Telltale Games have gotten a "sequel" or some form of a continuation proior to their original release, Puzzle Agent and S&M. I know you know this but I was just shedding light on this for the new kids in town browsin' these here forums.
    2.The Walking Dead isn't about open world anyway.

It's ashame People, Majoroty gamers under the age of 14, Youtube Comments, and Anyone who's posted anything on IGN about the game; can't except a story-driven zombie game and move on. Every zombie game made now-a-days HAS to be a Fantasy, Zombie Appocolypse, Skyrim clones; according to them. Don't get me wrong I'd love one too. There are some great ones out there already! It's just that it's not the Walking Dead...
    3.That's your own fault on the ios. Telltale never sync up their PC dates with their other platform dates because it only delays the PC version.

Would be nice though... In some crazy, vaugley distant, hypo-techno future... For now we must wait.
  • edited April 2012
    i like open world games but thats just not telltales's style thats more in the lines of someone like bathesda or rockstars style telltale great at the point and click adventures and thats where i think they should stay and yeah this game is a style of point and click just evolved thats what make telltale shine.
This discussion has been closed.