Question For Telltale...

In all honesty... I buy every zombie game out there just to do it (since I enjoy the genre). I'm just wondering if I should buy it now or wait for the bargain bin. The answer to this question is what's really going to make or break my decision:

Is this game just a console port... is it going to really make use of the PC?

Now as far as the bargain bin remark is concerned... don't feel like I'm putting you guys down as developers. It's rare I buy anything that doesn't have a significant discount attached (ie 50%+). That's mainly because as of late the industry is a sham and aren't putting any effort into the games they make.

A concern of mine for this game specifically is the episodic approach... as Back to the Future has been out since what, December of 2010 and only has 5 episodes. I haven't played it, so I'm not sure if that's "enough" for the story... but I would be concerned that content for this wont come out fast enough for my wants.

At least waiting for the bargain bin will put me in a position to get the game hopefully as the next episode comes out. I'm just curious to see this game in action. I own practically every Zombie game released, and played most (if not all) browser based ones out there (either released or in beta). Zombies are my thing I guess.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    In all honesty... I buy every zombie game out there just to do it (since I enjoy the genre).Careful, this is different than zombie games, not about mowing them down. I'm just wondering if I should buy it now or wait for the bargain binLike a steam sale?. The answer to this question is what's really going to make or break my decision:

Is this game just a console port... is it going to really make use of the PC?Neither. Telltale are primarily PC, but they want everyone to play it.

Now as far as the bargain bin remark is concerned... don't feel like I'm putting you guys down as developers. It's rare I buy anything that doesn't have a significant discount attached (ie 50%+). That's mainly because as of late the industry is a sham and aren't putting any effort into the games they make.

A concern of mine for this game specifically is the episodic approach... as Back to the Future has been out since what, December of 2010 and only has 5 episodes.Ok, THIS is what I wanted to answer. That is it for BTTF. Telltale make their games in "seasons" which means once that "season" ends, that is all you are getting. The Walking Dead will get 5 episodes as well, and that will be it. I haven't played it, so I'm not sure if that's "enough" for the story...It was, the gameplay on that game sucked though. but I would be concerned that content for this wont come out fast enough for my wants.Monthly until episode 5 when it ends.

At least waiting for the bargain bin will put me in a position to get the game hopefully as the next episode comes outIts digital FYI, I hope you mean like a steam sale or something.. I'm just curious to see this game in action. I own practically every Zombie game released, and played most (if not all) browser based ones out thereFail. It isn't browser based, its downloadable. (either released or in beta). Zombies are my thing I guess.
    Responses in bold.
  • edited April 2012
    Wow that's an awkward way of replying... made for my replies a pain...
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    Careful, this is different than zombie games, not about mowing them down.

I never said it was and I never said the genre is all about mowing down zombies. Walking Dead the tv show isn't about that and I wouldn't expect this game to be like that either.
    Like a steam sale?

Yes, that's one way of getting a discount.
    Neither. Telltale are primarily PC, but they want everyone to play it.

I understand they want everyone to play it... more income that way. But I wanted to know if it's primarily made for the console or the PC. Games are significantly different when made for one or the other.
    Ok, THIS is what I wanted to answer. That is it for BTTF. Telltale make their games in "seasons" which means once that "season" ends, that is all you are getting. The Walking Dead will get 5 episodes as well, and that will be it.

Each episode is said to 2 hours long. So it'll be a 10 hour game max? No future releases?
    It was, the gameplay on that game sucked though.

Understandable... but if I'm hoping for more, that wasn't a good example.
    Monthly until episode 5 when it ends.

See statement made two prior.
    Its digital FYI, I hope you mean like a steam sale or something.

Yes I know it's digital distribution.
    Fail. It isn't browser based, its downloadable.

I never said it was a browser based game. I said I've played all of the zombie games out there INCLUDING browser based games.
  • edited April 2012
    Watch some gameplay to decide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-nYdgXnOg&feature=relmfu#t=7m0s and at the end.

There are already a bargain if you preorder: 10% off. Click on the banner above. Don't wait more.

I'll confess you one thing: I keep waiting for a Jurassic Park bargain to buy it since it came out and nothing.

Besides you enter in a contest where you can be modeled as a zombie and join the game cast.

Need more reasons? :D

By the way, a "season" it's the whole game. The game is divided in 5 episodes. ;)
  • edited April 2012
    The_Ripper wrote: »
    Watch some gameplay to decide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-nYdgXnOg&feature=relmfu#t=7m0s and at the end.

There are already a bargain if you preorder: 10% off. Click on the banner above. Don't wait more.

I'll confess you one thing: I keep waiting for a Jurassic Park bargain to buy it since it came out and nothing.

Besides you enter in a contest where you can be modeled as a zombie and join the game cast.

Need more reasons? :D

By the way, a "season" it's the whole game. The game is divided in 5 episodes. ;)

The contest is cool and all but I'm sure my chances would be slim with all of the people buying the game. The 10% off is usual with most releases, at least that's what I've expected of the games I've bought. I meant more of a percentage to define "bargain bin". ;)

The gameplay video definitely is console geared (but then it's being played on one). I'd just hope (or want) it to be more PC friendly.

Just to be clear... I got the 5 episodes equals a season... but there's only to ever be 1 season? No more after that?
  • edited April 2012
    The contest is cool and all but I'm sure my chances would be slim with all of the people buying the game. The 10% off is usual with most releases, at least that's what I've expected of the games I've bought. I meant more of a percentage to define "bargain bin". ;)

The gameplay video definitely is console geared (but then it's being played on one). I'd just hope (or want) it to be more PC friendly.

Just to be clear... I got the 5 episodes equals a season... but there's only to ever be 1 season? No more after that?

No, no, no... don't get confused... You can play with a console pad in your PC but you still keep playing with your mouse and keyboard if you want (I will play with mouse and keyboard so...). The gameplay video is recorded from a PC using a Xbox gamepad.

At the moment there's only one season confirmed. It could be a 2nd season in the future but we don't know yet... until the first whole season is released, at least.
  • edited April 2012
    Wow that's an awkward way of replying... made for my replies a pain...
    Sorry about that, makes my replies easier :p

I never said it was and I never said the genre is all about mowing down zombies. Walking Dead the tv show isn't about that and I wouldn't expect this game to be like that either.
    Good, just making sure. So many people have made that mistake already.
    I understand they want everyone to play it... more income that way. But I wanted to know if it's primarily made for the console or the PC. Games are significantly different when made for one or the other.
    In that case I have no clue which then. Hard to tell with what I know.

Each episode is said to 2 hours long. So it'll be a 10 hour game max? No future releases?
    That would be it yes, if more episodes come out, it would be another season, so another purchase.

And the rest are me misunderstanding what you've said so no need to comment there.
  • edited April 2012

Slightly off-topic, so please indulge me for a moment - I was in the same boat with "Jurassic Park" (mainly due to the largely negative reviews) - very nearly bought the season for $20.00 when Steam had it on sale a few months ago - but I flip-flopped a couple of times and decided not to get it in the end (and my preference is to give my money direct to Telltale whenever possible).

Even though I'm somewhat disappointed with the final result of playing through "JP", if you haven't picked it up yet, I highly recommend spending the $20.00 extra on the "Almost Everything" pack that comes with pre-ordering "The Walking Dead" - even if you're doubling up on a couple of things, it's well worth the price. Even if you're only slightly curious about some of the titles, you're literally talking a couple of dollars per season.

OK - sales pitch over, back to "The Walking Dead"!
  • edited April 2012
    Weeksy wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic, so please indulge me for a moment - I was in the same boat with "Jurassic Park" (mainly due to the largely negative reviews) - very nearly bought the season for $20.00 when Steam had it on sale a few months ago - but I flip-flopped a couple of times and decided not to get it in the end (and my preference is to give my money direct to Telltale whenever possible).

Even though I'm somewhat disappointed with the final result of playing through "JP", if you haven't picked it up yet, I highly recommend spending the $20.00 extra on the "Almost Everything" pack that comes with pre-ordering "The Walking Dead" - even if you're doubling up on a couple of things, it's well worth the price. Even if you're only slightly curious about some of the titles, you're literally talking a couple of dollars per season.

OK - sales pitch over, back to "The Walking Dead"!

I cant check at work... is Steam offering the pack deal?
  • edited April 2012
    The total season is going to be at LEAST 10 hours long, maybe even 15 depending on how you play. For $22.49 isn't that already a bargain???? I'd pay $40 for a good 10hr game, most single player games out there don't even last that long for $60!

On top of how good the game looks to be, once you finish the game you could GO BACK, start over and make all different choices and experience it completely different! Considering it looks like there's generally 3 or 4 options in dialog trees, and at least 2 choices in major decisions, I'll be replaying this 3 times most likely. That's between 30-45 hours of gameplay, well worth 50-75cents per HOUR of entertainment. Think about it, then stop thinkin about it and preorder!!!
  • edited April 2012
    I cant check at work... is Steam offering the pack deal?

No, that's through Telltale only. Steam have the 10% offer - but considering Telltale are already offering that - well, you can make up your own mind ;)
  • edited April 2012
    No, no, no... don't get confused... You can play with a console pad in your PC but you still keep playing with your mouse and keyboard if you want (I will play with mouse and keyboard so...). The gameplay video is recorded from a PC using a Xbox gamepad.

Is there any footage out there with this being played on PC with a keyboard and mouse? I'm with Primus on this one... I really want a PC game to feel like a PC game and not simply a console port. Play it on what it was meant to be played, is my philosophy. (I say this, having got the PC preorder... >.>; I don't say much for my own consistency.)

Anyhow, I got the preorder and I'll be playing keyboard and mouse, but I want to know if there's any benefit to it. How will the movement and interaction controls will be like? The click-then-drag-to-interact looks like it would start to get tedious given the usual options for PC play.

A good story and proper immersion will top clunky controls no problem for me in any game given the chance so I haven't regretted the preorder, but good controls pushes it from "that was pretty awesome" to "yes yes yes YES!" on my enthusiasm meter.
This discussion has been closed.