Raving Rabbids 2 vs World of Max

edited May 2007 in Sam & Max
What? Check out this teaser for Rayman Raving Rabbids 2...
rrr2_visual_bunnyearth.thumbnail.jpg
:eek:

Looks very familiar...

Comments

• edited May 2007
    Haha, what obvious mix between Heroes and Sam and Max? :rolleyes:
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    Haha! Surely a quality game, then, with art like that.
  • edited May 2007
    Omgzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!1111oneone
  • edited May 2007
    Well if you played the other previous rabbit game youll know it has nothing to do with sam & max other than the ears :P which every bunny has in common.
  • edited May 2007
    I'm not saying the game is similar, just that the teaser is almost identical to an image TellTale used as a teaser for season one a long time ago (and more recently as a teaser for episode 6)
  • edited May 2007
    Woaaaaaaaaah... Yeah, that's a rip off alright. It's a nearly identical clone of the same Sam & Max episode 6 advertisement on the main page. However, while it's tempting to get angry and want to sue over this, you might want to consider that suing them would also make Telltale look like they're money grubbers. Ubisoft probably knows that, beepers... But, hey, it's free advertising! Suckers! :p
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, since telltale is working together with Ubi on CSI 4 such a move might not be prudent at the time.. Maybe we should perform a more machiavellian move and inform whoever owns the rights to Heroes :D
    edited May 2007
    I'm more a fan of happy coincidences (and of further propagation of Rabbit*-Earth hybrid imagery, obviously) than I am of ridiculous lawsuits. I think most would agree.

* Actually, to get pedantic, its Lagomorph-Earth hybrid, and Rabbid-Earth hybrid, respectively. There are no actual rabbits involved anywhere in either piece.
  • edited May 2007
    According to quantum physics, everything that comes into existence is created at two places at the same time. Which would mean that, if I get a creative idea, somebody at the exact same time, somewhere else in the world, gets the same idea as well. It's why lawsuits over patents are silly, because how can one possibly prove that either of them had the idea first? Even if I had requested a patent, somebody else could have thought about the exact same thing for years before I got that patent, but since I got the patent before they did something about their idea, I get the rights to it. Seems pretty unfair. I have to agree with Jake, happy coincidences.
  • edited May 2007
    I'm just kidding about the suing. Besides, theirs has a plunger. Why didn't yours have a plunger, TellTale? You dropped the ball there.
  • edited May 2007
    Ohhhh, Telltale is partnered with Ubisoft with the CSI line? Well, then I guess there's not much to be mad at then. You could think of it almost as a favor, if anything... I'm not sure what the plunger is about though. Except maybe implying the world is clogged with excrement... : /
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    well... this is ridiculous. I wonder if they even know. this kinda makes me sad

Attachment not found.
  • edited May 2007
    Hey now!! Who came first and who had it copyrighted first?

If neither can prove a copyright date, then it defaults to whoever published the image first. Learned that first thing as an art student, which is like the saving grace when photographing anything.

Also, IGN cannot claim fair use. They didn't change the image enough to make said claim. Cropping and positioning a differently shaped pair of rabbit ears does not make the image more original.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2007
    well I know we posted this when we announced season 1 a while back, so I'm guessing we win
  • edited May 2007
    Eh-hem.

IGN didn't make that image, it's part of UbiSoft's official promotional material for the Raving Rabbids game.

And I posted it first :mad:
  • edited May 2007
    Why would we be mad, anyway?
  • edited May 2007
    Tried to post this earlier...

Yeah, there's actually a thread in general I think where we were talking about that Nick. It turns out that it actually comes from Ubisoft, who you guys are apparently teamed up with on your CSI games. I guess you could kind of look at it as free advertising. Or you could get pissed off about it, since it's obviously a complete rip of in far more ways then is comfortable.

Another way you can look at it is vindication of the success of Sam & Max. Its doing so well the big guys are trying to get a piece of the action! That's nothin' to sneeze at. Not that you guys are small or anything...... But, hey, Ubisoft is huge. :/
  • edited May 2007
    tabacco wrote: »
    Why would we be mad, anyway?

Maybe not mad, but apparently it made your intern sad :(
  • edited May 2007
    I know that if I worked at TellTale (Which I mine as well. ;) ), I would be at least annoyed. Especially if I personally made the advertisement then they copied it. But like I said, it's just vindication of success and free advertisement since it will remind others of Sam & Max, so woohoo!

P.S. 600th post, huzzah! I don't know whether to be sad or happy about it.
    edited May 2007
    It's a little weird, but this sort of thing happens all the time.

As I said in a post elsewhere, it's only a good sign that we're at a point in time where there can be two games out concurrently that are both ridiculous enough to support marketing imagery like that.
  • edited May 2007
    Yeah, I guess you're right.
  • edited May 2007
    marsan wrote: »
    According to quantum physics, everything that comes into existence is created at two places at the same time. Which would mean that, if I get a creative idea, somebody at the exact same time, somewhere else in the world, gets the same idea as well.

So someone else just had an idea involving flying pancakes and a talking spork named Humphrey the Unstable? Wow, I gotta meet this person :p
  • edited May 2007
    There's a talking spork in it? Ok, that's really pushing it Ubisoft........ Get yer' own ideas!
  • edited May 2007
    I was actually about to post this.

Honestly, though, since Max and the Raddibs are my two favorite bunny-like creatures, I really couldn't care less. Truth be told, I've always wanted to see Max do the Rabbid Scream...
  • edited May 2007
    I was actually about to post this.

Honestly, though, since Max and the Raddibs are my two favorite bunny-like creatures, I really couldn't care less. Truth be told, I've always wanted to see Max do the Rabbid Scream...

Hah! TellTale guys, you should definitely do that at some point in Season 2, just as a throwaway joke.

Sam: Are today's video games any less mind-numbing than they were in the 1980s?
    Max: DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!
  • edited May 2007
    Homage

A beautiful word.

I love the Rabbids. They're hilarious, and I plan on buying Rayman RR2. I think this was a really nice homage, from one bunny game to another, by Ubisoft.
  • edited May 2007
    Homage

A beautiful word.

I love the Rabbids. They're hilarious, and I plan on buying Rayman RR2. I think this was a really nice homage, from one bunny game to another, by Ubisoft.
  • edited May 2007
    I have never heard of these rabbids until now. But I feel compelled to investigate... What dirty marketing they have! :(
  • edited May 2007
    Hey, where did you find that anyway? I checked Ubisoft's website and the Rabbid's website but couldn't find it.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    I have never heard of these rabbids until now. But I feel compelled to investigate... What dirty marketing they have! :(
    I wanted to play Raving Rabbids since the first one came out. I've heard many good reviews about it for the Wii. It sounds like a lot of fun. :D
  • edited May 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    * Actually, to get pedantic, its Lagomorph-Earth hybrid, and Rabbid-Earth hybrid, respectively. There are no actual rabbits involved anywhere in either piece.

I am worried about what you are trying to imply Jake. If Max is a Lagomorph, and not a Rabbit... that leads to the revelation that he is in fact
    a Pika!

I hope this is not the case, otherwise we will have a similar teaser image for the next Pokemon game.
  • edited May 2007
    Mm, topic drift... There's a useful quote from episode 1 on just this matter:
    Sam: It's not me, it's Max.
    Max: Hey!
    Sam: He thinks he's a rabbit.
    Max: I AM a rabbit!
    Sam: See?
    [...]
    Max: I'm a rabbit!
  • edited May 2007
    But the Rabbids have almost no respect for popular culture. If they did, how would we have gotten THIS in RRR2:

i664436_Narabbid.PNG

Apparently, there'll be ones of Spider Man, Sam Fisher, Darth Vader, and Mario as well.
  • edited May 2007
    mickey wrote: »
    You mine at Telltale? Have you found any neat treasures?

Mine as well, might as well, who cares.
  • edited May 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    Haha! Surely a quality game, then, with art like that.

actually the Rayman games ARE good.
  • edited May 2007
    Heh, Joystiq just did an article about the art controversy on their site...
  • edited May 2007
    Heh, Joystiq just did an article about the art controversy on their site...

...saying that it found out about this little "oopsie" from a gay gaming website, no less.

*quickly glances at the Sam & Max sexuality thread*
  • edited May 2007
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Hah! TellTale guys, you should definitely do that at some point in Season 2, just as a throwaway joke.

Sam: Are today's video games any less mind-numbing than they were in the 1980s?
    Max: DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Of course I'd be overjoyed if Max were to pull a Rabbid face at that line. :p

I rather enjoy the Rabbid games. They're very slapstick silly. I'm excited that they're already coming out with another game. :)
  • edited May 2007
    actually the Rayman games ARE good.

I agree for the most part, but I seem to remember a little game called Rayman Arena that brought a whole new level of "suck" to the table. :P

(Seriously, the awfulness of that game has to be played to be believed)
  • edited May 2007
    the only sad thing about this is that, due to ubisoft's bigger advertising machinery, future sam n' max newcomers will say "hey, look how telltale blatantly copied the rabbids add"
Sign in to comment in this discussion.