Stuttery Gameplay

Before I start, my PC specs:
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.5GHz.
Dual ATI HD5870 1GB.
6GB DDR3.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD.

For some strange reason I get REALLY stuttery gameplay, the worst I've experienced so far was when all the zombies were coming out of the wood, it kept freezing for 2-3 seconds and I could only hear what was going on (I couldn't see it happening) for 2-3 seconds after each camera angle change.

I have the latest graphics drivers so I'm not sure why this is happening.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Same problem here! Exactly the same place, where the zombies coming out of the woods. Also seems to be missing dialogue, the cop opens his mouth but so sound comes out when talking about my wife.

Geez this really bums me out, looks like it was a quick PC port :(
  • edited April 2012
    Not on Windows 8 preview are you? Cuz that has screwed a few of my games so far
  • edited April 2012
    No Windows 7.

Steam version.

CPU: Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz | GPU: Radeon HD 6950 | Mobo: Asus P5Q P45 | RAM: OCZ 4GB 1066GHz
  • edited April 2012
    sogeking90 wrote: »
    No Windows 7.

Steam version.

CPU: Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz | GPU: Radeon HD 6950 | Mobo: Asus P5Q P45 | RAM: OCZ 4GB 1066GHz

You should buy the version from here ;)
  • edited April 2012
    Why? Does steam break it?

Sadly I can't afford to buy it again.
  • edited April 2012
    Why? Does steam break it?

Sadly I can't afford to buy it again.

I was just kidding ;)
  • edited April 2012
    I had to quit sadly, the game seems amazing but I want to experience it right. Hope they patch it.
  • edited April 2012
    Same problem here! Exactly the same place, where the zombies coming out of the woods. Also seems to be missing dialogue, the cop opens his mouth but so sound comes out when talking about my wife.

Geez this really bums me out, looks like it was a quick PC port :(

The PC version is the real version. The are "porting" it to the console.
  • edited April 2012
    regardless I hope they patch it.
  • edited April 2012
    Having the same issues. I noticed it a bit on the high way but not enough to deter my enjoyment.

Then I noticed it when I shot the cop. Then it was freezing for long pauses when the zombies came out of the woods. I then paused it and checked these forums.

i5 2500 / HD 6950 / 8gb ram / asrock p67 pro 3

-latest gpu drivers
  • edited April 2012
    I have been experiencing this too. Only in the cutscenes does it seem to manifest.

All the graphics cards posted so far have been ATI, so it could be a manufacturer specific issue. If anyone is experiencing this on a Nvidia card, please post!

My system specs:
    Intel i7 950 @ 3.06GHz
    18GB DDR3
    Radeon HD6850 1GB GDDR5
    Crucial SSD 64GB (Boot drive)
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Game installed on this)

Running with maximum settings @ 1920x1080
  • edited April 2012
    I still feel a bit better knowing about all these problems, since I still haven't gotten to download the game yet from TT
  • edited April 2012
    Kenneloth wrote: »
    The PC version is the real version. The are "porting" it to the console.

I'd have to disagree with you there.
    I've seen leaked footage of the console versions that reviewers got.
    The gameplay was very good and much better than what people are posting about with their steam copies.

I find it hard to imagine that ports would be better than the "real version"
  • edited April 2012
    What we don't know is if this is a problem with teh game or a Steam problem and considering the quick release I'm going to lean towards Steam problem.
  • edited April 2012
    ADavidson wrote: »
    I still feel a bit better knowing about all these problems, since I still haven't gotten to download the game yet from TT

/agree
  • edited April 2012
    Same problem for me... bought on steam
    A lot of stutter at the zombies in the wood scene so turned it off because the stutter ruined my game experience :(

My specs:
    Intel i7-2600K 3.4Ghz
    8GB DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD5870
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
  • edited April 2012
    Dameon2k wrote: »
    What we don't know is if this is a problem with teh game or a Steam problem and considering the quick release I'm going to lean towards Steam problem.

I'm leaning towards AMD problem.
  • edited April 2012
    Looks like this is a bug in the ATI drivers, and I'm told it's only particularly bad in that specific scene in the woods. Turning the shadow detail down temporarily should alleviate the problem.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm leaning towards AMD problem.

Yep same problems here.

Stuttering like crazy in the woods after you shoot the cop.

ATI/AMD HD6990
    I7 920 OCed to 3.8
    6 gig ram
    Rampage III Extreme

Really glad I am leaving ATI and getting a Nvidia 690.
    One problem after the next with AMD/ATI.
  • edited April 2012
    i only had problems in the tree scene, since then it's working constant 60 FPS no drops, 580 gtx, just wish i could remove the vertical lines :( i know.. i'm playing on 1360x768 with 580 gtx hah :(
  • edited April 2012
    blesner wrote: »

Really glad I am leaving ATI and getting a Nvidia 690.
    One problem after the next with AMD/ATI.

True that, and thanks Mike I'll see if that works out alright.
  • edited April 2012
    Add me to the list of users that are experiencing stutter problems with the forest scene. Even knocked the resolution down to 640x480 with all textures, and so on, turned to low.

ATI/AMD 6970
    AMD PhenomII X6 1100T
    8gb RAM
    Windows 7 Premium 64 bit
    GigaByte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870/SB850

This is the first time since I built this system a year ago that I've had any issues with AMD drivers.
  • edited April 2012
    Geobaldi wrote: »
    Add me to the list of users that are experiencing stutter problems with the forest scene. Even knocked the resolution down to 640x480 with all textures, and so on, turned to low.

ATI/AMD 6970
    AMD PhenomII X6 1100T
    8gb RAM
    Windows 7 Premium 64 bit

This is the first time since I built this system a year ago that I've had any issues with AMD drivers.

Welcome to ATI/AMD, Constant Missfire issues on 90% of new releases.

Tweet https://twitter.com/#!/catalystcreator and let him know
  • edited April 2012
    Geobaldi wrote: »

ATI/AMD 6970
    AMD PhenomII X6 1100T
    8gb RAM
    Windows 7 Premium 64 bit

Hmm I still using a PhenomII x2 550 ;)
  • edited April 2012
    TT should contact AMD and let them know which API's they are having issues with. I know in the past AMD half asses support for OpenGL and DX9c unless it is specifically addressed from Devs. John Carmack and talk all day about bad API support and interfacing with AMD drivers.

I love my cards but this day on issues are old. NVIDIA from here on out. I think I will order a 690GTX this summer and give my son my 6990.
  • edited April 2012
    Mike wrote: »
    Looks like this is a bug in the ATI drivers, and I'm told it's only particularly bad in that specific scene in the woods. Turning the shadow detail down temporarily should alleviate the problem.

woho, setting shadow detail setting to "off" fixed my game. I left all other settings at maximum :D
    Thx for quick reply on a fix
  • edited April 2012
    Shadows = Off seems to have fixed it. Experimenting with Low now.
  • edited April 2012
    serverfull wrote: »
    TT should contact AMD and let them know which API's they are having issues with. I know in the past AMD half asses support for OpenGL and DX9c unless it is specifically addressed from Devs. John Carmack and talk all day about bad API support and interfacing with AMD drivers.

I love my cards but this day on issues are old. NVIDIA from here on out. I think I will order a 690GTX this summer and give my son my 6990.

Thats cruel! I will call child protection!
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah I hate ATI so much.
  • edited April 2012
    Well I've had problems with NVidia in the past, that's why I built my current systems using AMD parts. Other then this one issue I haven't had any other problems so I'll stick with them for the time being for my future systems. But this is all off topic, people are saying turning shadows off will fix the problem, so I'm off to try it with the hopes that it will for me as well.
  • edited April 2012
    Same issues in the wood right after you shot the officer.

Intel i7 930
    6GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
    Sapphire HD6950 Dirt Edition.
  • edited April 2012
    SIMPLE FIX

Hey guys, ATI user here and I was experiencing the same stuttering you all did. I took the advice from the forum and turned Shadow Quality off and it fixed all of the stutter issues, even at the part where the zombies came out of the woods. If you want to play now and don't care about shadow quality, I'd say give it a shot and enjoy.
  • edited April 2012
    Ramboknife wrote: »
    SIMPLE FIX

Hey guys, ATI user here and I was experiencing the same stuttering you all did. I took the advice from the forum and turned Shadow Quality off and it fixed all of the stutter issues, even at the part where the zombies came out of the woods. If you want to play now and don't care about shadow quality, I'd say give it a shot and enjoy.

Yeah, I just did the same thing. Works perfectly now.
  • edited April 2012
    i use a hd4890 and i only get stuttering on the cut scenes like the screen freezes for a few secs then moves on no loss and audio keeps going, and i haven't updated my drivers.

also i use an i7 running at 3.8ghz with 6 gb of ddr3 ram
  • edited April 2012
    Ramboknife wrote: »
    SIMPLE FIX

Shame we can't play it at the quality its supposed to be enjoyed at though.
  • edited April 2012
    i think its the game only area ive seen it was the woods at the beginnen and thats it from time to time ill see it as i walk into a interaction.
  • edited April 2012
    Just encountered this myself and my first immediate thought was "Oh joy the same stuttering crap from Jurassic Park that Telltale never bothered to fix"
    Guess I'll have to play with no shadows then...

Really Indeed felt like the comic Series watching that slide show in the woods.
  • edited April 2012
    So I'm guessing this is whats happening to all you guys as well? I've tired turning off shadows but that doesn't help.

http://imgur.com/a/aTO8Q

I hope ATI understands who upsetting this is. It's like they want people to drop them for nvidia. Any word on a fix coming?
  • edited April 2012
    I was having the same issue but it didn't bother me too bad. Once i got out of the woods the game was fine, i haven't had the issue since.

AMD 6850
    AMD Phenom II 955 BE 3.2Ghz
    4GB RAM
    Windows 7
  • edited April 2012
    I had multiple freezes on ps3 twice right outside clementines house but pulled through to play a awesome game
This discussion has been closed.