Graphics stutter breaking the game

edited April 2012 in The Walking Dead
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere. I didn't see it, but please point me towards it if it is.

**spoiler references**

I tried to play the game last night and had enough problems that it was unplayable. There was noticeable jerk whenever something new loaded into a scene - like when the zombie crosses in front of the police car. That was annoying, but manageable. However, after killing the zombie sheriff and the other walkers showed up, the screen completely froze and showed one new frame every ten seconds or so, while the audio continued to run.

I tried a few different graphic settings and resolutions, but nothing fixed it. This is my main machine that I run Borderlands, Crysis, Bioshock, Fallout, etc on with max settings, so it shouldn't be a hardware issue. Drivers and OS are also patched and updated

Anyone have any tips or tricks to get this game running smoothly? Really looking forward to tearing through Episode 1!

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I had horrible graphical problems that were fixed by the latest update from Steam. Do you have the latest version?
  • edited April 2012
    Well...I installed at about 7PM Eastern last night. Has there been an update since then? If not, then I guess I'm playing the most updated version.

I was hoping that it might just be an update issue. Release day problems and all that.
  • edited April 2012
    Steam automatically updated my game when I launched in online mode. It was smooth sailing after that. I hope an update fixes it for you.
  • edited April 2012
    Rasher wrote: »
    Steam automatically updated my game when I launched in online mode. It was smooth sailing after that. I hope an update fixes it for you.

Hmm...by "online mode," I assume you just mean with the Steam client connected, right? No, no updates installed. When I get home, I'll see if any installed during the day. Thanks for the info!
  • edited April 2012
    Yes, with the steam client connected and online. Steam has an offline mode if you want to play the game offline.
  • edited April 2012
    I turned a few settings down, and the lag between scene switching disappeared. So I would suggest doing that for now.
  • edited April 2012
    Rasher wrote: »
    Yes, with the steam client connected and online. Steam has an offline mode if you want to play the game offline.

Yes, I was just making sure the game itself didn't have a setting. I always leave Steam connected. Generally just easier that way.

teflon wrote: »
    I turned a few settings down, and the lag between scene switching disappeared. So I would suggest doing that for now.

I turned everything down to lowest settings (including resolution) and still had the issue, so I was pretty sure I could eliminate that. I'm hoping it's an update issue. *crosses fingers*

Wow...this forum is really speedy on replies!
  • edited April 2012
    Is this the PC or MAC version of the game? What are your system specs? Do they meet or (hopefully) exceed the minimum requirements for the game? The recommended?

I downloaded the PC version from Steam last night around 10:00PM EST after Mike gave out keys to Telltale website pre-orders due to the server issues. By 11 I was playing the game. I've put over an hour into it and have seen none of the issues you've described. I play on an Alienware m11x R1 - Core2Duo 1.73Ghz, 8GB RAM, GeForce gt335m 1GB, 500GB Maxtor Momentus XT.

I'd try "verifying integrity of game cache" through Steam (right click The Walking Dead in the Library) to see if you have the absolute latest and greatest cut of the game. If that doesn't solve the issue, affirm that your graphics card drivers are up to date.

Still no joy? Try disabling any background processes that may be eating up CPU cycles or taxing your hard drive. Anti-virus and other processes that do "real-time file scanning" come to mind. A look in Task Manager may alert you to programs/processes that are eating up your systems resources without you being aware of it.
  • edited April 2012
    I have the STEAM version and I had no problems like that. Maybe it just needs a really fast computer or it was a glitch that has been fixed in my version. I've gotten the game quite late/recently.
  • edited April 2012
    Fairly decent PC specs. Q8300, so plenty of CPU horsepower, but an AMD 5670, so not very high end. I first noticed it when things really started kicking off right at the start, and it quickly got very, very bad. Unplayable until I turned settings down, because all I had was a still shot from the previous camera angle...

I'm going to carry on playing with everything shoved back up on high, and see how it goes now.
  • edited April 2012
    The game was unplayable for me from the car wreck on until I turned the shadows off completely. Now, the game runs smooth as silk and still looks very nice. All other settings maxed.
    2ghz dual
    56xx ati HD - don't remember exactly (@work now)
    4gb ram.
    If there's a patch already that'd be sweet. Will check when I get home.
  • edited April 2012
    The easiest way to fix slowdowns and stuttering is to Change your Shadows settings to LOW. Recent TTG games have had issues with shadow renderings causing slowdowns... that was the main issue in Jurassic Park the Game btw. Just change that setting to low and you're all set.
  • edited April 2012
    I am having the same problem. It's lagging much. I'll try to tone some settings down and see how it goes.
  • edited April 2012
    Yup, shadows seemed to be pretty killer for me in the end.

Still, it's just a case of turning a few things down to see where you can get it playing hitch free.
  • edited April 2012
    blesner wrote: »

Wrong. Having similar issues on an Nvidia GTX 570.

Not as bad as the OP of course but there is definitely noticeable stutter during certain events and also the audio slightly chops. Overall things are fine this seems to mainly happen during cut scenes.

My issues do not make the game unplayable but it is certainly annoying.
  • edited April 2012
    Update from me: I uninstalled the game, rebooted, reinstalled, but still had stutter up through the car wreck. After that, smoothed out and I was able to play the full episode.

Thanks for the help.
  • edited April 2012
    I have a craptastic ancient graphics adapter (ati 2600) and it runs the game great.
    I run windowed 1280 x 800 and disable shadows and some other stuff.
This discussion has been closed.