Day or night?

I've only played through once, and I decided to go before it got dark, but now I'm curious about how many people chose to go during the night, and how it worked out for them.
Did anyone actually decide to venture out at night?

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I did on my second play-through. Instead of meeting Shawn and his redneck friend (whose name I forget), you meet Shawn and his cop friend (whose name I also forget).

Lee and Clem venture out of the house and are almost immediately shot at by the police officer. Lee thinks they're coming after him, but really the officer just thought they were walkers. Then everyone introduces themselves and they drive off. After that, the game plays out exactly the same.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm sure it will change the story later. As Chet dies if you wait til night to go out. I chose night for my first playthrough because it just made sense.
    This decision also affects what time it is when you meet Hershel and leads to a few different dialogue choices there as well.
  • edited April 2012
    It affects how enthusiastic hershel is about building a fence.
    At night time the dead friend shows hershel the need for the fence, daytime he is very skeptical.
    Guess it doesn't matter in the long run since fence is never done
  • edited April 2012
    I definitely think its going make a difference if you chose to leave at day or night in future episodes. Chet or Officer Mitchell will for sure be a part of the story later on depending on which you chose.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, it feels a little strange how quickly these characters popped up and disappeared again. You have a lot of options to influence Hershel, for example... somehow I think we haven't seen the last of him as well.
  • edited May 2012
    Do you think these guys depending on who you met will actually make a return in some of the later episodes?
  • edited May 2012
    Ja1862 wrote: »
    Do you think these guys depending on who you met will actually make a return in some of the later episodes?

I would imagine so (depending on which path you took of course)..
  • edited May 2012
    I'm hoping they both return and add different scenarios to the story
  • edited May 2012
    Ja1862 wrote: »
    I'm hoping they both return and add different scenarios to the story

More than likely, because just choosing whether to leave Clem's house in day or nighttime has HUGE consequences for Shawn's friend..
  • edited May 2012
    More than likely, because just choosing whether to leave Clem's house in day or nighttime has HUGE consequences for Shawn's friend..

nail'd it
  • edited May 2012
    Well, if you leave during the night, perhaps in later episodes Andre (the police officer) can become a determinant, determining whether he lives or not, and can get his gun if he dies. Or the same during the day, between Andre and Chet. Just saying..
  • CapnJayCapnJay Banned
    edited May 2012
    I like chet "Awww It's Hot Dish Night"
  • edited May 2012
    CapnJay wrote: »
    I like chet "Awww It's Hot Dish Night"

It'd be a big bummer for you, then, if Chet turns up as a zombie in a future episode even if you chose daylight. Then again, possibly not..they should make it so Andre helps Chet and eventually the two meet up with Lee and the others again..if you chose daylight, that is.
  • CapnJayCapnJay Banned
    edited May 2012
    Xirsche wrote: »
    It'd be a big bummer for you, then, if Chet turns up as a zombie in a future episode even if you chose daylight. Then again, possibly not..they should make it so Andre helps Chet and eventually the two meet up with Lee and the others again..if you chose daylight, that is.

So your saying

*Puts on sunglasses*

We might Become The Hot Dish?
    YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!
  • edited May 2012
    CapnJay wrote: »
    So your saying

*Puts on sunglasses*

We might Become The Hot Dish?
    YEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Lol CSI: Miami memes aside, yeah, pretty much. Just the same, we could become flame-broiled or grilled sushi from a mere hot dish..that is, their current situation could get much, much worse than it already is.
  • edited May 2012
    Andre and Chet take off for the night after they help you outside Clem's house, do you think you'll meet up with them again in the Season and what role do you think they'll play? Because, while it at first seems like a very much "of course" answer, if you're a TWD comic fan you know some characters aren't ever mentioned again.
  • edited May 2012
    Andre and Chet take off for the night after they help you outside Clem's house, do you think you'll meet up with them again in the Season and what role do you think they'll play? Because, while it at first seems like a very much "of course" answer, if you're a TWD comic fan you know some characters aren't ever mentioned again.

Yes, I'm a fan of the comic. Though there is a new thing I just thought of..doesn't Andre's uniform looks similar, or is exactly, King County Police Department? If so, then I can already guess his fate..unless he's got the wits to make it out alive and unscathed.
  • edited May 2012
    My first choice was "daylight" then I played again choosing for night!
  • edited May 2012
    Well I have to admin. I like the idea of the night. Since the zombies in TWD also see people instead of only the smell.
  • edited May 2012
    Kenneloth wrote: »
    Well I have to admin. I like the idea of the night. Since the zombies in TWD also see people instead of only the smell.

But then you can't see them as easily without light..whereas at daytime, you cans ee them a hell of a lot easier.
  • edited May 2012
    At night you have greater risk of stumvbling into a crawler or worse one of those who lay inactive until they sense/smell/hear something. Now with that all said in the comics kirlmans walkers are based on sound and movement as well as pack mentality. The pack mentality in this case is where if one walker see another even brush its hand over a door knob, another walkeer will think that ones trying to get at something and go after that door, which draws more to think there's something on the other side, imagine trying to deal with something similar in nothig but the moonlight
  • edited May 2012
    At night you have greater risk of stumvbling into a crawler or worse one of those who lay inactive until they sense/smell/hear something. Now with that all said in the comics kirlmans walkers are based on sound and movement as well as pack mentality. The pack mentality in this case is where if one walker see another even brush its hand over a door knob, another walkeer will think that ones trying to get at something and go after that door, which draws more to think there's something on the other side, imagine trying to deal with something similar in nothig but the moonlight

But that's what flashlights are for. As you said, this version of zombies seem more inclined to the senses of hearing, touch, and smell, with the latter being the most emphasized. As demonstrated of both the chapter in the comics and episode in the first season, even as Rick and Glenn were going through downtown Atlanta, they clearly passed into the eyesights of numerous zombies, but none went after them..none of them stopped to think "Wait, he looks freshly alive..maybe they're using our scent against us!"..instead, more like "oh another one, and no humans..".
  • edited May 2012
    About that scent thing. How can the zombies smell a living person (who does not smell) if the zombies themselves stink that much?
  • edited May 2012
    Lachi wrote: »
    About that scent thing. How can the zombies smell a living person (who does not smell) if the zombies themselves stink that much?

That's the idea. The zombies use their powerful smell to figure out who is/isn't a zombie.
  • edited May 2012
    Maybe I was not clear. How can they smell something that does not smell?
    Example: I cross the street and some zombies see me walking. How can they distract their own rotten smell from my human smell? Their stench is stronger and apparently can be used as disguise, so it is not logical that they could smell me when not covered in zombie muck.
  • edited May 2012
    Lachi wrote: »
    Maybe I was not clear. How can they smell something that does not smell?
    Example: I cross the street and some zombies see me walking. How can they distract their own rotten smell from my human smell? Their stench is stronger and apparently can be used as disguise, so it is not logical that they could smell me when not covered in zombie muck.

if you think about it

you have answered your own question

they can smell 'dead' so if you are alive you won't smell so they may attack you, there is a running theory that these zombies have pack mentality and possible hive mind.

so going by a zombies limited sences which could be considered purely primal/basic in nature which are sight smell and hearing..
  • edited May 2012
    Yep, Swarm Intelligence it's called in the entomology field. Also, if you've ever gone down to the Florida keys in the summertime, within a few days you will smell like rotten eggs because of the seaweed. When you drive back up to Miami everyone you come in contact with will find you disgusting. HOWEVER while you're down there, after the first few hours or so, you won't even notice it anymore. Really! HOWEVER you will still smell foods and alcohol and fire just as well. I think it would be similar with zombies. The living put off a different smell so it's noticeable.
This discussion has been closed.