Major confusion on plot points.. (spoilers)

edited April 2012 in The Walking Dead
Whenever I've been given the option to I've always stated the honest truth such as not being the little girl's dad. However Hersal called me her dad despite me telling Shawn I wasn't. Glenn did this too as well when he first called me on a walkie talkie. This to me doesn't make sense at all plot wise. It's like the game is assuming I am follow a linear path of choices. disregarding the ones I've been making.

Also another thing is when you get to the second town, the drug store. Kenny takes charge as group leader when they already had two group leaders. Before that nearly everyone was fighting with each other. How does it make sense that Kenny a brand new guy who they never seen can just order them around like that?

A minor issue I had was at Hershal's farm during shawn's tractor accident. At the end of it your given the option to blame Yourself, Nobody or Kenny. When it's clear that Duck, ducky, whatever the boy's name is at fault. He drove the tractor on accident and pinned Shawn down to the ground.

Does Telltale writers really think you shouldn't be able to blame the boy? Even if it was clearly just a accident? :confused:

Comments

• edited April 2012
    They refer to you as Michonne's father because everyone knows you basically are now. They know her parents are dead. We all do. De facto daddy. Would you take the time to say "Give this to that guy that saved you from your house." or "give this to your dad?" when hiding in a dangerous place from zombies? You want to communicate fast with someone with an 8 year old intellect.

Kenny takes charge because Lily is focused on her father. The "leader" is not a democratically elected position. Anyone can bark orders and if they sound convincing and strong enough, others will listen. Some may listen just because they need something to do anyway.

The issue with Duck is that we aren't discussing who was at fault for the accident but who was at fault for Kenny running away from the scene without helping.
    You can claim it was your fault, to show empathy and a feeling of personal guilt.
    You can say no one was at fault because it was such a split second decision and dangerous situation. No time to think.
    You can blame Kenny if you feel that he is at fault for not thinking quickly enough.

You can also stay silent though I haven't seen that outcome yet.

So yeah, no one is blaming the kid. Really Kenny is at fault because after the kid was safe, he ran away. That's what Hershel is discussing.
  • edited April 2012
    fire2box wrote: »
    Whenever I've been given the option to I've always stated the honest truth such as not being the little girl's dad. However Hersal called me her dad despite me telling Shawn I wasn't. Glenn did this too as well when he first called me on a walkie talkie. This to me doesn't make sense at all plot wise. It's like the game is assuming I am follow a linear path of choices. disregarding the ones I've been making.

Also another thing is when you get to the second town, the drug store. Kenny takes charge as group leader when they already had two group leaders. Before that nearly everyone was fighting with each other. How does it make sense that Kenny a brand new guy who they never seen can just order them around like that?

A minor issue I had was at Hershal's farm during shawn's tractor accident. At the end of it your given the option to blame Yourself, Nobody or Kenny. When it's clear that Duck, ducky, whatever the boy's name is at fault. He drove the tractor on accident and pinned Shawn down to the ground.

Does Telltale writers really think you shouldn't be able to blame the boy? Even if it was clearly just a accident? :confused:
    All good points. The Herschal and Glenn calling Lee her dad did bother me a bit, but that could be chalked up to just only have so much voice work money available. Less lines are more cost effective.

I had not noticed that Kenny just took over until my second play through. That was certainly a little odd. People will sometimes respond to someone just taking control like that in a stressful situation though. Lilly was taking care of her dad, and Larry was certainly in no position to give orders. So I think Doug and Carley just responded to being told what to do. Neither are any kind of authority figure.

Blaming Duck though? With the way Herschal was reacting, I really don't feel that would have been an option.
  • edited April 2012
    Was there actually an option for Lee to say he was Clem's dad? I know he could lie and say he was her neighbor or babysitter but I don't think there's ever a place where he can say he's her father, so I don't think it's just sloppy writing. I just chalked it up to the fact that most of the characters seem to just assume he's her dad and maybe sometimes, in the heat of things, they forget he's not. And in Glenn's case, I don't think Lee ever actually tells him that he's not. Once they get to the drugstore, the fight with Larry breaks out, then zombies attack, then Glenn decides to run out for supplies. Is there ever a point where Lee mentions it to Glenn before he leaves for the motel?
  • edited April 2012
    Was there actually an option for Lee to say he was Clem's dad? I know he could lie and say he was her neighbor or babysitter but I don't think there's ever a place where he can say he's her father, so I don't think it's just sloppy writing. I just chalked it up to the fact that most of the characters seem to just assume he's her dad and maybe sometimes, in the heat of things, they forget he's not. And in Glenn's case, I don't think Lee ever actually tells him that he's not. Once they get to the drugstore, the fight with Larry breaks out, then zombies attack, then Glenn decides to run out for supplies. Is there ever a point where Lee mentions it to Glenn before he leaves for the motel?
    You could stay silent. That would be as good as saying he is her dad, as everyone would assume he was.
  • edited April 2012
    Chillforce wrote: »
    So yeah, no one is blaming the kid. Really Kenny is at fault because after the kid was safe, he ran away. That's what Hershel is discussing.

I'm not to sure about that. Since herseal wasn't there to see Kenny running away from the situation with his son, as he was getting his gun from inside the house at the time. I don't recall him saying anything but trying to find out who to blame for shawn's death in which case it boils directly down to "Duck" in any of the outcomes. Which is why I am surprised and kinda shocked it's not a option, considering I'm trying to do a "honest" play through.

Also I told Shawn I was just some guy who found/saved clem. (The most honest option.)

All good points. The Herschal and Glenn calling Lee her dad did bother me a bit, but that could be chalked up to just only have so much voice work money available. Less lines are more cost effective.

I had not noticed that Kenny just took over until my second play through. That was certainly a little odd. People will sometimes respond to someone just taking control like that in a stressful situation though. Lilly was taking care of her dad, and Larry was certainly in no position to give orders. So I think Doug and Carley just responded to being told what to do. Neither are any kind of authority figure.

Blaming Duck though? With the way Herschal was reacting, I really don't feel that would have been an option.

Lilly might of been taking care of her dad, but she's still strong enough to demand that you have to find her dad the pills he needs rather then doing it herself, this is after your the one to go hand to hand with the zombie (least in my play through). I can only assume getting her dad pills was the reason that group went to the drug store in the first place. She didn't like Kenny all too much either.
This discussion has been closed.