Honesty?

I've played through the part of Episode 1 at Hershel's barn, and every time I play through, Hershel calls Lee out for being a liar. I'm trying to be honest with him, and I mention I was in the car with a police officer, and give my name during the first conversation, I'd already told Shawn I was Just Some Guy, and during the second conversation all the answers I pick, are to the best of my knowledge, honest (Was already heading out of Atlanta, Parents in Macon, etc). I guess I'm just asking if there are a specific set of responses you need to give Hershel to be 'honest', or is silence needed at some point, or what?

All that being said, I have finished the game a couple times now, and I'm dying for episode 2 already. Very, very well done.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    I've played through the part of Episode 1 at Hershel's barn, and every time I play through, Hershel calls Lee out for being a liar. I'm trying to be honest with him, and I mention I was in the car with a police officer, and give my name during the first conversation, I'd already told Shawn I was Just Some Guy, and during the second conversation all the answers I pick, are to the best of my knowledge, honest (Was already heading out of Atlanta, Parents in Macon, etc). I guess I'm just asking if there are a specific set of responses you need to give Hershel to be 'honest', or is silence needed at some point, or what?

All that being said, I have finished the game a couple times now, and I'm dying for episode 2 already. Very, very well done.
    I *ahem* honestly don't know.
  • edited April 2012
    I have the same problem and honestly so far I think it's bad, maybe terrible writing. But hey if they are railroading choices I prefer it to be in the first game unlike the ending in Mass Effect 3.

Just don't expect me to play a game that deny's the choices I've made. Glad I played a friends copy, rather then wasting money on it.
  • edited April 2012
    I don't think the choice has be railroaded, because it is one of the ones that comes up at the end of the game, and (at least the last time I saw), a majority of people were honest with him. I just can't quite figure out how this part works lol
  • edited April 2012
    I don't think the choice has be railroaded, because it is one of the ones that comes up at the end of the game, and (at least the last time I saw), a majority of people were honest with him. I just can't quite figure out how this part works lol

I'm saying the game railroads your choice of being trying to be honest. In every situation so far it's like the game in nudging you not to be honest, to hide who you are. Such as when you pick up your family photo you rip yourself out of it, without it being a choice at all.

not to mention when you are honest it can get thrown in your face. Heresal, The reporter, you can tell them the truth but they still treat you like scum.
  • edited April 2012
    fire2box wrote: »
    I'm saying the game railroads your choice of being trying to be honest. In every situation so far it's like the game in nudging you not to be honest, to hide who you are. Such as when you pick up your family photo you rip yourself out of it, without it being a choice at all.

not to mention when you are honest it can get thrown in your face. Heresal, The reporter, you can tell them the truth but they still treat you like scum.

That would be the natural reaction. They treat you like 'scum' because you are one - a convicted criminal that should have faced the firing squad had you not been saved by the apocalypse (as far as we and they are aware of).
  • edited April 2012
    Aren't both options different? I thought I heard a faint nuance in both options... like maybe just a few words different.

If you flat out lie, I thought Hershel was accusing you of being a liar by saying "you need to be a better liar", that he thought you were trying to pass one by him. If you try to tell the truth but try to avoid saying your an escaped con, he's telling "you need to become a better liar" if you want to hide that fact.

I might be wrong, but I'm almost positive I heard a difference between the 2.
  • edited April 2012
    Hershel seems to know that Lee is hiding something no matter what. He's just trying to warn Lee that whatever he is hiding could blow up in his face. I see this as foreshadowing.
  • edited April 2012
    its not bad writing id say, more so rushed game quality. but i imagine they knew about this continuity issue before release. you cant make profound game choices despite the fancy advertisement saying otherwise.
  • edited April 2012
    its not bad writing id say, more so rushed game quality. but i imagine they knew about this continuity issue before release. you cant make profound game choices despite the fancy advertisement saying otherwise.
    I would have to disagree with your final statement. I think there will be more repercussions to our decisions in later episodes. This is only the first episode, and not a whole lot has happened yet.
  • edited April 2012
    I wanted to confirm that Hershel treats you very differently with honesty + good samaritan. He shows kind eyes and never any anger in his voice when lecturing about honesty in barn. Good samaritan is granted for being silent when first queried about your relationship to the girl (after being shot at after leaving house and whatever daytime equiv is)
This discussion has been closed.