Lee's non-response to wife comment in car (bug?)

edited April 2012 in The Walking Dead
Hello. I have the PS3 version of Episode 1. I'm a bit confused about Lee's silence to the wife comment made by the law enforcement officer driving the car at the beginning of the game. (Something about marrying the wrong woman.) I selected a comment for Lee to speak before the allotted time was up, but it only prompted Lee to open his mouth for a second and then fall silent. I thought it was a bug or glitch, or maybe my button click didn't register. So I freaked out, deleted my game save and immediately started the game over. When I got to the same spot in the game I made sure I selected a comment to say back to the deputy, but the same thing happened - no comment spoken by Lee. Is this a glitch? Did everyone experience this? If it's not a glitch why would Telltale give us a selection of responses to the wife comment and not follow through with your selection spoken by Lee? Confusing.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Not a bug. Telltale has always given choices that you can pick but then the character will start to do it but then be like nah and end up not doing it. You'll notice it looks like they think better about doing it when it happens.

I do agree though. That is one thing that has always annoyed me about their games. When I tell him to say F you to the cop I want him to say F you. lol

But that's a nitpick for me.
  • edited April 2012
    Same happened here, but I don't think, that it is a bug.

In many adventure games the character suddenly decides on some occasions to just alter the response.

I guess Lee just got emotional (angry .. what ever) and didn't want or know what to reply.
  • edited April 2012
    mybe lee just could thought about the answer you've chosen and was moved so emotionally by this idea that it left him speechless? that's what i thought and i really liked it that way! :) (picked the same selection on pc -> steam version)
  • edited April 2012
    bukipup wrote: »
    Hello. I have the PS3 version of Episode 1. I'm a bit confused about Lee's silence to the wife comment made by the law enforcement officer driving the car at the beginning of the game. (Something about marrying the wrong woman.) I selected a comment for Lee to speak before the allotted time was up, but it only prompted Lee to open his mouth for a second and then fall silent. I thought it was a bug or glitch, or maybe my button click didn't register. So I freaked out, deleted my game save and immediately started the game over. When I got to the same spot in the game I made sure I selected a comment to say back to the deputy, but the same thing happened - no comment spoken by Lee. Is this a glitch? Did everyone experience this? If it's not a glitch why would Telltale give us a selection of responses to the wife comment and not follow through with your selection spoken by Lee? Confusing.
    Certainly not a bug. No matter which you choose, Lee reacts the exact same way. He simply changes his mind and doesn't respond at all.
  • edited April 2012
    Ok. Thanks, everyone. This is my first Telltale game. Now I know how they roll. ;-)

Odd directorial choice by the game designers. I think the scene still would have held it's emotional impact at that moment without the dialog tree. If Lee won't speak it, don't post choices. Just my opinion. Thanks again!
  • edited April 2012
    He does say most of what you tell him to. But it's good to be reminded the character you are controlling is his own person too, and has his own past and whatnot. Great storytelling
  • edited April 2012
    The funny thing was, on my first play-through, I could have sworn he actually said it, so when he didn't say anything the second time I played I worried that it was a bug too. But I was probably just hearing it in my head and remembered it wrong.
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah, I noticed that something funny was going on there, too. Seems like a bug to me - maybe they missed a dialog option while recording or something.
  • edited April 2012
    I do agree though. That is one thing that has always annoyed me about their games. When I tell him to say F you to the cop I want him to say F you. lol

But that's a nitpick for me.

He is a black man in a cop car in the south. Not the best idea in the world to cuss a cop. I'm white and from the south, btw; I just know this stuff happens.
This discussion has been closed.