Spoiler! Did he do it?

edited May 2012 in The Walking Dead
Do you think Lee killed the Senator? Was it murder or self defense? Why does Lee seem more angry at the Senator than his wife?

Whatever happened I have a sinking feeling that this secret will come back to haunt him, and not just in dreams.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Rasher wrote: »
    Do you think Lee killed the Senator? Was it murder or self defense? Why does Lee seem more angry at the Senator than his wife?

Whatever happened I have a sinking feeling that this secret will come back to haunt him, and not just in dreams.
    I think it will too.

Did he do it? I don't think he intentionally murdered the Senator. I think there was a confrontation that took a bad turn, and the Senator was killed more by accident than anything. Lee blames himself, which is why he won't really defend himself when directly questioned about it.
  • edited April 2012
    i think he did killed him.

But wouldn't it be nice if it turned out that depending on your the choices you made throught the whole game (for example kill or spare decisions) determines the outcome on flashbacks like those
  • edited April 2012
    I think it will too.

Did he do it? I don't think he intentionally murdered the Senator. I think there was a confrontation that took a bad turn, and the Senator was killed more by accident than anything. Lee blames himself, which is why he won't really defend himself when directly questioned about it.

That's my feeling too. I figure something happened. From the flashes it sounds like he may have been defending his wife from the Senator. There was a struggle and as a result the Senator died. He being there when it happened of course was accused of murder.
  • edited April 2012
    That's my feeling too. I figure something happened. From the flashes it sounds like he may have been defending his wife from the Senator. There was a struggle and as a result the Senator died. He being there when it happened of course was accused of murder.
    It could be something as simple as he slugged the Senator. The guy fell into something (a glass cabinet perhaps?) and died as a result. Lee would blame himself for hitting him in the first place and causing his death.
  • edited April 2012
    Exactly. So in Lee's mind he could very well feel he's guilty even if he really wasn't.
  • edited April 2012
    I think it'd be pretty cool if Lee's ultimate guilt or innocence comes down to the choices you make over the course of the games. It'd be a much better use of the choice system than a color.
  • edited April 2012
    I agree, I wondered if that would be the case. Certainly, whenever the subject is brought up, Lee's possible responses are usually drastically different - from hostility to regret. Maybe the question of whether or not he actually did it will be based on how we make him respond to it. That would be an interesting way to impact the story.
  • edited April 2012
    I think it'd be pretty cool if Lee's ultimate guilt or innocence comes down to the choices you make over the course of the games. It'd be a much better use of the choice system than a color.

That'd be great. Maybe every time you pick the more violent option (e.g.: Siding with Larry and saying they should kill Duck, giving Irene the gun) pushes you towards being guilty.
  • edited April 2012
    Huh? Doesn't really make sense that actions in the present would affect actions in the past. That's not remotely how causality works, and just wouldn't make sense in this game. It's far more interesting to gradually uncover the (unchangeable) past, and the story is about how you live and deal with that, and the ultimate consequences of the net total of your actions.
  • edited April 2012
    I can understand their point, as a mechanic to make the game more "your own" but I too prefer the past to be just that, the past. Uncovering what happened is interesting enough without it being changeable by the actions of each player. Your choices now dictate whether you are trying to redeem yourself or not, and that is perfectly fine with me.
  • edited April 2012
    I actually think Lee's wife killed the senator and he covered it up for her, making himself look like the killer.

And yes, either way, i get the feeling this will come back to haunt him (SUPERZOMBIE SENATOR BOSSFIGHT!!!!... well OK, maybe not, but something :p)
  • edited April 2012
    ROFL @ Bossfight statement. That's good.
  • edited April 2012
    cormoran wrote: »
    I actually think Lee's wife killed the senator and he covered it up for her, making himself look like the killer.

And yes, either way, i get the feeling this will come back to haunt him (SUPERZOMBIE SENATOR BOSSFIGHT!!!!... well OK, maybe not, but something :p)

ROFLMAO. That would be hilariously awesome.
  • edited April 2012
    serializer wrote: »
    Huh? Doesn't really make sense that actions in the present would affect actions in the past. That's not remotely how causality works, and just wouldn't make sense in this game. It's far more interesting to gradually uncover the (unchangeable) past, and the story is about how you live and deal with that, and the ultimate consequences of the net total of your actions.

No one's saying it would actually change the past, just that they might possibly have different possible versions of what happened - just like a game would have different endings - and which one you see depends on how you've played.
  • edited April 2012
    I think that if they could pull it off, then having the ultimate guilt or innocence of Lee be based on your choices would be an amazing twist.

For instance, my Lee is, for lack of a better term, very paragon. It'd be pretty cool if we see the murder, and my paragon Lee was fighting back in self defense against the senator. Conversely, anyone with a hostile Lee would get a clip of him bashing the senator's head in, or whatever happened. It'd be a nice touch, is all.
  • edited April 2012
    Exactly. In fact, it would make more sense that way. Lee didn't start the game with amnesia, he's the same guy he was when the incident happened. So if we play our character as a good-hearted guy who tries to protect everyone, it wouldn't make sense to flash back to him being a cold-blooded murderer. Likewise, if we play him as a hardass, you'd want him to be that same guy in the flashback too.
  • edited April 2012
    I think that if they could pull it off, then having the ultimate guilt or innocence of Lee be based on your choices would be an amazing twist.

For instance, my Lee is, for lack of a better term, very paragon. It'd be pretty cool if we see the murder, and my paragon Lee was fighting back in self defense against the senator. Conversely, anyone with a hostile Lee would get a clip of him bashing the senator's head in, or whatever happened. It'd be a nice touch, is all.
    I hear what you're saying but that leaves me to wonder, if that were the case, why wouldn't Lee just blurt out the "F U" line when prompted instead of changing his mind?
  • edited April 2012
    I would like to have 2 different past stories. And you choose Lee's path to the future AND past. But I don't think that TTG is going for that. They probably have some "neutral" past event, where Lee is being framed or pushed too far or he acts in self defense.

I guess the story must be a little bit complicated because Lee lost contact to his family. Maybe they didn't approve of his wife or something.

Anyway, we'll find out in the future episode. I would not want anybody to spoil it for me.
  • edited April 2012
    I wonder about the nightmare Lee had in Hershel's barn. A female (his wife?) saying something like "I love you." followed by a crash (window breaking?)

Lee coming in, or Senator going out?

Pre-zombie-pocalypse Senator coming in and Lee killing it in defense, thus being convicted of murder because no one knows about zombification yet?

maybe???
  • edited April 2012
    I wonder about the nightmare Lee had in Hershel's barn. A female (his wife?) saying something like "I love you." followed by a crash (window breaking?)

Pre-zombie-pocalypse Senator coming in and Lee killing it in defense, thus being convicted of murder because no one knows about zombification yet?

maybe???

Oh. That would be interesting.
  • edited April 2012

maybe???

Ahhh, the Senator was an early zombie, hadn't thought of that. Very good!!!

Either way, if a guy was sleeping with my wife and I caught them, I'd kill him too. And depending on how it went down, you don't go to jail for that. If you walk in on them and kill him it is a crime of passion and killing an adulterer spur of the moment, you don't go to jail in most states. If you find out about it, plot for a few weeks, then kill him it's pre-meditated. Obviously Lee was going to jail tho so something happened. I think you're right tho, senator was a zombie
  • edited April 2012
    I'd have to say that he did kill the guy, even if it was an accident. if you do something like shove a person out a window, I don't care if you meant it or not, you should burn for it. 2nd degree murder at the least. and I don't care about that 'crime of passion' crap. whenever anyone kills someone, it's technically a crime of passion.

obviously they had to make it a senator he killed, which allows them to let him off the hook. they can easily implant the excuse that the senator was a crooked man who did stuff to him or was blackmailing or manipulating his wife or something like that, and because a senator has friends in high places, if something happens to them someone has to pay for it.

most likely the plot will move towards revealing and explaining why he was innocent. it'll be an artificial excuse to make him the good guy who got a bad rap. that much is apparent in that he saves a little girl in the beginning, trying to make his character seem heroic and caring rather than a murderer.
  • edited April 2012
    I'm sure he killed the Senator and in some sensational way. Look at how violently Larry has reacted. We assume that it's due to him being a convicted murderer but most men would understand killing their wive's secret lover. And why is Larry worried about Lee going after Lily? Because Lee was divorced from his wife at some point during or around the trial. Lee's nightmares were about memories of a better time when his wife still loved him and memories of the murder being mixed together.

As far as him being an early zombie, he easily could have been. The virus was distributed by terrorists possibly and targeting congress first would be smart. That would also explain the bit in the beginning where Lee is afraid of the dead officer and in particular his mouth(when he drops the keys).
  • edited April 2012
    I'd have to say that he did kill the guy, even if it was an accident. if you do something like shove a person out a window, I don't care if you meant it or not, you should burn for it. 2nd degree murder at the least. and I don't care about that 'crime of passion' crap. whenever anyone kills someone, it's technically a crime of passion.

obviously they had to make it a senator he killed, which allows them to let him off the hook. they can easily implant the excuse that the senator was a crooked man who did stuff to him or was blackmailing or manipulating his wife or something like that, and because a senator has friends in high places, if something happens to them someone has to pay for it.

most likely the plot will move towards revealing and explaining why he was innocent. it'll be an artificial excuse to make him the good guy who got a bad rap. that much is apparent in that he saves a little girl in the beginning, trying to make his character seem heroic and caring rather than a murderer.
    Wow. Judgmental much? ;)
    Chillforce wrote: »
    As far as him being an early zombie, he easily could have been. The virus was distributed by terrorists possibly and targeting congress first would be smart. That would also explain the bit in the beginning where Lee is afraid of the dead officer and in particular his mouth(when he drops the keys).
    Great point!
  • edited April 2012
    Chillforce wrote: »

That explanation could explain that bit in the beginning (which annoyed me), but it'd be a bad revelation. That thing all the greatest zombie-movies, and stories (The Walking Dead included), have in common, is that none of them have explained what caused the zombie outbreak. The reason for this is that any explanation would be laughable, and would distance the viewer/reader from the suspense of the story.

Also, I thought the senator could have been a zombie while playing the game, but the more I thought about it it couldn't possibly have been the case. The murder had to have been some time ago. Probably several months, Possibly even a couple of years. With the "zombie world mechanic" in The Walking Dead, it could only have happened a day, or maybe two, earlier. A worldwide epidemic would have come pretty shortly after the "rules" set in. Your explanation does a better job then I could have thought of explaining how it could be possible, but there's still a large hole there. Lets say the murder was as little as three months prior. Then, in a minimum of three months, the virus must have spread from the congressmen, to the whole world. As the outbreak is explained as an almost over-the-night thing in the game (A bad decision from the game's part, the comic portrais it as something happening over the course of a couple of days at least), it'd be impossible to have a virus spread through the globe without several minor outbreak, until good ol' Z-day. :P

If Kirkman has a hand in the writing, I don't think Lee's murder was entirely morally justified. ;)
  • edited April 2012
    i'd say it makes sence to have a different flashback, the same thing happens the senator dies but the interpritation is different/voice acting,

as for lee's barn nightmare she says i love you then screams and we hear a crash/smash so it could be she's saying she loves the senator and lee then smashes something over his head..
  • edited April 2012

maybe???

great point! thought the same thing today and was going to open a thread about this idea - but wanted to read this thread first, because it seemed related too much... great that others also thought about that. great that i am not alone with this thought :)

i mean seriously, it makes sense - clem asks him in the hideout of his parents if he is a murderer and lee was able to answer (that's what i've chosen) that it's not that easy to tell... that it's complicated. maybe he was one of the first zombies and he died because of some sorta self-defence... or the possible answer coming from lee after "killing" the babysitter of clem: that something killed her before he did. think about it. ;)

also the hints in all the soryspoilers from reviews about the first episode, that "he may be a killer or may be not" - like it's just a matter of definition.
  • edited April 2012
    it's ridiculous to assume the senator was a zombie. first off he could have just told the reporter "the senator was a zombie, I didn't kill anyone. I know this because it's exactly like what's happening NOW". second, he didn't JUST kill the senator when he was in the police car in the beginning, otherwise the whole town of maycomb wouldn't have even heard about it yet or the controversy surrounding it. from the way they make it sound, it seems like it's been at least a few days or weeks since the senator was killed.
  • edited April 2012
    Why you gotta tear up a perfectly good silly idea, monster? Geez.. that hurts, ya know :p
  • edited April 2012
    maybe it is just a silly idea, true but the fact that there are days or weeks between the police car stay at the start of the game and the "kill" doesn't stand against that theory i think.

the less are infected the more time is necessary to infect more - it's way harder to spread the virus. ;) but yeah, let's just wait and see what happend. :)

exaclty my inner reaction, wabbittwaks... :D
  • edited April 2012
    Wasn't the guy a STATE senator? (god, I feel like Oscar from The Office) He didn't work in Congress or anything. So yeah, the guy could have been relatively powerful locally, but it's not like "this conspiracy goes all the way to Washington" powerful. And there's no way he could have been a zombie. It can take months or, more often, even years for a murder case to go from arrest to conviction and Lee had already been convicted and sentenced by the time the game starts.
  • edited April 2012
    It can take months or, more often, even years for a murder case to go from arrest to conviction and Lee had already been convicted and sentenced by the time the game starts.

when someone important with power, money, etc. gets kidnapped or murdered things move alot faster than they would with a homeless guy.
    Not saying thats the case but it's usually like that lol only thing we do know is that he had a trial.

Also i think the events happened few days before the virus outbreak, since well lee didn't had convict clothes and he seems to still have trouble with nightmares and phsycological stuff that well i guess it would go away after time passes.

About that senator guy being the first zombie i don't know lee's expression wasn't the one from someone who already knew dead guys get up (when he saw the cop get up after the car accident).

However i guess it is possible as you know they are all infected.
  • edited April 2012

What about soldiers in every war in history??? You think they should all burn too? Moral lines are messed up these days. The wild west was much more balanced. If you caught a man sleeping with your wife, you killed him. If a man admitted in public he slept with your wife, you go out in the streets and have a duel. Nowadays everyone is so pussified and gets offended at every little thing.

If someone breaks in my home, they aren't leaving breathing. If I caught my wife in bed with a man, they'd BOTH be dead, and I wouldn't go to jail for it where I live. Adultery is a serious offense
  • edited April 2012
    ADavidson wrote: »
    What about soldiers in every war in history??? You think they should all burn too? Moral lines are messed up these days. The wild west was much more balanced. If you caught a man sleeping with your wife, you killed him. If a man admitted in public he slept with your wife, you go out in the streets and have a duel. Nowadays everyone is so pussified and gets offended at every little thing.

If someone breaks in my home, they aren't leaving breathing. If I caught my wife in bed with a man, they'd BOTH be dead, and I wouldn't go to jail for it where I live. Adultery is a serious offense

I find shooting the man to be odd quite frankly. If i caught my hypothetical wife sleeping with some guy and i was in a mind to kill (which i wouldn't be) i'd kill my wife. For all i know that guy doesn't know she's married, she however, damn well knows she's married so she's gonna be the one to eat the bullet.

Where i live however, regardless of 'crime of passion' you'd go away for it. Here you might have every right to be really pissed off, but no right to kill them for it. Crimes are for courts to preside over and taking the law into your own hands (especially in enacting a sentance that our courts have abolished many years ago) is frowned upon. Here the 'crime of passion' defense would only be taken into account for sentancing, you might get a bit of time off for it, but that's all you could hope for.
  • edited April 2012
    I think a lot of people are assuming this character will be vindicated, exonerated, justified in some way in coming episodes.

Wouldn't it be surprising and more interesting if he instead was made a lot LESS sympathetic and more guilty in the coming episodes?
  • edited April 2012
    Lee did it for sure. The whole "they don't fall like you think" line when talking to Shawn, his expression and how he says the line gives it away
  • edited April 2012
    Spanish wrote: »
    Lee did it for sure. The whole "they don't fall like you think" line when talking to Shawn, his expression and how he says the line gives it away
    I don't think that line had anything to do with killing the Senator. I feel that was just him remembering how tough killing Clem's zombie-sitter was.
  • edited April 2012
    Maybe WabbitTwaks... but with that kill he held her down on the floor and smashed her face in with a hammer. He could also be meaning the cop when he shot off half his face, however I really think he is talking about killing someone pre-outbreak... whether he meant to or not.
  • edited April 2012
    Given that all of these choices exist within the realm of Lee, we could examine some of the more telling choices to gleam whether he is guilty or innocent.

With that in mind, i'd say he's more guilty than innocent given how there is an option to say that the man he killed was one of the walking dead when Clem asks about it.

Also, while moving the desk, he can admit in one way or another that his family had a falling out with him as a result of the murder.
  • edited April 2012
    Can't Lee Admit to the murder? I remember a dialoge telling Clem that he WAS the murderor and he wasn't a walker. It looks like it really IS our choice on his backstory there.
This discussion has been closed.