Did you get mushy and emotional? (spoilers)

edited April 2012 in The Walking Dead
When it came to dealing with Lee's brother on his talking options?

Me, I just did what every character in the Walking Dead should do from the start, no goodbyes, just a quick crack to the skull and mourn later. :eek:

:p

Comments

• edited April 2012
    Nah, didn't care at all about his brother. In fact, I blamed him for Lee's parent's deaths. I can imagine them trying to get him out from under the telephone pole and him biting Lee's parents. So they give up and run back to the store and barricade it. Before long they are both sick so they don't try to get into the pharmacy and end up just barricading the back room and dying together.

I chose a conversation topic just to hear what Lee would say. In reality i'm sure i'd have more last words for my parents than for my siblings.
  • edited April 2012
    Aw, Lee's younger brother probably died trying to protect his parents. Maybe he was out getting food, medicine, or weapons. I have two younger brothers so I did get emotional. It had just the right amount of drama. Some go over the top and overplay such moments. Telltale just had to make us whack him how many times?
  • edited April 2012
    Rasher wrote: »
    Telltale just had to make us whack him how many times?

Worst axe chop ever. Lee should've turned the axe around and bashed his zombie brother's head in with the blunt side. :eek:
  • edited April 2012
    I thought this was a really great piece of interactive storytelling. For me, there was a huge contrast emotionally between the earlier hammer scene and using the axe later.

What impresses me most (and is borne out by different people's reactions here) is that we aren't being TOLD how Lee feels about any of it -- we are deciding how he feels because we have to DO it. We ARE this character. No other medium can really pull this off.
  • edited April 2012
    I thought this was a really great piece of interactive storytelling. For me, there was a huge contrast emotionally between the earlier hammer scene and using the axe later.

What impresses me most (and is borne out by different people's reactions here) is that we aren't being TOLD how Lee feels about any of it -- we are deciding how he feels because we have to DO it. We ARE this character. No other medium can really pull this off.

All I really felt about the encounter was fear when reaching for keys. I mean, what if he rose again and bit me right there? I'm not sure I could ever handle touching even a dead zombie. Much too much fear for me.
  • edited April 2012
    No emotion here, it was almost like axe chopping a random zombie; the first time with the hammer was much more emotional for me since I wanted to spare her life, so I stopped doing it when she looked not harmful anymore and lost my life for that. Once I got to think that the game considers zombies like a non revertable condition and since the storytelling didn't manage to make me understand if their relationship was any close then it was an easy choice. I did try to stop middleway when he was looking unharmful. If I was given full freedom I would have probably just cut off his arms to look at his body without him trying to stop me.
  • edited April 2012
    This is really a neat little Rorschach test -- I love how we all have different reactions to the same content!

For me, the hammer scene was driven by fear -- I just wanted her to stop attacking me and I was willing to go the distance until I was sure it was over. Lee's brother is in no way a threat -- but it's still his brother, and I so wished there was a quicker, cleaner way to put this walker that used to be a family member down. It was the right thing to do for him, I didn't doubt that, but it didn't make it any easier to keep chopping.
  • edited April 2012
    I actually think the emotional tension around Lee's family could've been handled better. It felt flat to me unlike something well executed like Clementine conversations and the answering machine message in Clem's house at the beginning. Despite having Lee monologue about artifacts that held sentimental value, there should of been instances that actually characterized his parents. Requiring Lee to search the bodies of his dead parents with some flashback conversation would've added so much more to the brother/axe scene. As it stands, the Lee family seems more like bullet points in the story as opposed to real characters.
  • edited April 2012
    It definitely blew my mind.. it felt as if it was me dealing with all these problems, so it was pretty emotional for me lol.
  • edited April 2012
    Saboteur-6 wrote: »
    I actually think the emotional tension around Lee's family could've been handled better. It felt flat to me unlike something well executed like Clementine conversations and the answering machine message in Clem's house at the beginning. Despite having Lee monologue about artifacts that held sentimental value, there should of been instances that actually characterized his parents. Requiring Lee to search the bodies of his dead parents with some flashback conversation would've added so much more to the brother/axe scene. As it stands, the Lee family seems more like bullet points in the story as opposed to real characters.

I dunno, I thought that seemed intentional. Lee's relationship with his parents, and how close he was to them, is entirely up to you.

I thought the scene with his brother was very well done, especially the multiple axe swings. It was similar to the scene with the hammer, but also different in just the right way. With the hammer, you had to keep swinging or the zombie would get back up and eat you. With Lee's brother, there was no threat that you would be eaten if you stopped. You could have easily, held his head aside with the axe, or lopped off a couple limbs to keep yourself safe if all you needed was the keys. But you kept swinging because you didn't want to leave your brother like that. That's powerful stuff.
  • EricPEricP Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2012
    This is exactly the sort of thread I've been looking forward to while working on the game. I love hearing the variety of reactions players have to scenes like this.

You all make the hard work pay off!
  • edited April 2012
    ttg have stuck with the 'make up your own mind' formula cos it works!

for me i just love clem (non pedo way) she's cute, innocent but also kind of mature and smart, in short everything her look the voice actress all spot on and regardless of how i treat everyone else i just can't do anything but care for her and make sure she is safe all the time, though will that be possible as the 'story' unfolds? (again non pedo)
  • edited April 2012
    EricP wrote: »
    This is exactly the sort of thread I've been looking forward to while working on the game. I love hearing the variety of reactions players have to scenes like this.

You all make the hard work pay off!
    You guys did a wonderful job at this!

There is another thread of the same type here, Eric. In case you missed it. Full of plenty more pats on the back. :)
  • edited April 2012
    ttg have stuck with the 'make up your own mind' formula cos it works!

for me i just love clem (non pedo way) she's cute, innocent but also kind of mature and smart, in short everything her look the voice actress all spot on and regardless of how i treat everyone else i just can't do anything but care for her and make sure she is safe all the time, though will that be possible as the 'story' unfolds? (again non pedo)

I love Clem too. No idea how they made her so likeable so quickly. I kept screaming "Not my daughter!" every time a walker went for her. I'm sortof tempted to name my first daughter Clementine. I never saw such a likeable child character in a game before.
This discussion has been closed.