Spark plug reality (spoilers)

edited May 2012 in The Walking Dead
This video contains spoilers, but I found it interesting to see that this works in real life. Spark plug porcelain does work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhlmKHbPFhU&feature=related

Comments

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2012
    All right, thank you so much! Actually, when I saw the scene in the game, all I could think is "WUT?!". This was so unbelievable that I did not even bother researching it. But I guess the Diet Coke/mentos thing is pretty unbelievable before you try it, too.

We would still have to find out how the Telltale designers could think of that as a quiet way to break the window, though.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Neat, I thought it was far-fetched too when I played through. It's cool to see that it actually works. Maybe this is the real reason Guybrush is afraid of porcelain. :D
    We would still have to find out how the Telltale designers could think of that as a quiet way to break the window, though.
    The point wasn't too make no noise, it was to make as little noise as possible.
    Instantly breaking a window with spark plug porcelain is certainly quieter than if Lee kept banging at the window over and over again until it broke
    . :)
  • edited May 2012
    Jennifer wrote: »
    quieter than if Lee kept banging at the window over and over again until it broke. :)

Yeah he would have made quite some noise once he would have broken his hand. :D
  • edited May 2012
    Porcelain is tougher than glass and if its broken up it has lots of sharp edges, so yeah this works in real life. Just like a rock or a crowbar. It wouldn't be any quieter than a rock, however.

I thought the pillow was going to be used to muffle the breaking window instead of the gun. Which in real life would not make the gunshot ANY quieter...
  • edited May 2012
    Cool find.

I really had no idea what Glen was doing with the spark plug.
  • edited May 2012
    Doesn't break like that though, it just spiderwebs the hell out of it since it is safety glass. It's very quiet too, just the sound of the porcelain hitting the glass and the sound of the glass cracking. Can also use metal ball end of an antennae, just take the antennae off the car and position it diagonally across the glass, pull back like a rubber band and smack! Significantly louder than a dinky piece of porcelain though.
  • edited May 2012
    Nice one Rasher!

Was wondering wtf was that all about. Muffling the car window with the pillow and elbow smash is not an option in the game.
  • edited May 2012
    Have you ever tried to break a car window with your fleshy hand or elbow? I am far from a small person and I can't put my foot through without hurting something.
  • edited May 2012
    Here's something interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXCAVGR3_Fw
  • edited May 2012
    DjangoZom wrote: »
    Here's something interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXCAVGR3_Fw
    Yeah. Cute trick. Fake, but cute.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Superfluid wrote: »

I thought the pillow was going to be used to muffle the breaking window instead of the gun. Which in real life would not make the gunshot ANY quieter...

Yup, media like movies continually feed us wrong information about how this works. I think I once heard that the Mythbusters had the idea of explaining how "silent" a gun "silencer" actually is, but they would not want to give anyone ideas, so they dropped the subject. If criminals act with bogus ideas from movies on their mind, they're much more likely to make crucial mistakes - and get caught.
  • edited May 2012
    Is the ceramic used in spark plugs something special? I assume a piece of a broken coffee cup wouldn't work then? (I just bought a new car, so I don't want to try it :D)
  • edited May 2012
    Nice one Rasher!
  • edited May 2012
    All right, thank you so much! Actually, when I saw the scene in the game, all I could think is "WUT?!". This was so unbelievable that I did not even bother researching it.

Hi:
    "Ninja rocks are broken shards of spark plugs. Since they can quickly and almost silently[1][2] fracture the glass windows on most cars..." :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_rocks
    T.
This discussion has been closed.