Why I am dissappointed with the Episode-Model

edited June 2012 in The Walking Dead
Hello there, I bought the game because it looked cool and started playing. TBH I didn't do much research on the episodes or lenght of the game etc. I started playing at roughly 4pm. 2 Hours later I was done. Don't get me wrong the game was great and all but it was just far too short and leaves me with a disgusting taste. I don't want to wait for 1 or 2 months or however long every time for ONLY playing 2 hours. That's kind of ridicilous.

I told 2 of my friends about the game and they want to buy it too but I adviced them to wait until ALL GAME has been released in its entirely and THEN buy it. I would certainly have donew that if I knew beforehand. I mean 2 hours is just too short no matter if the game is great. I felt really empty and Like "WTF? that was IT??!" after finishing the episode after such an ridicilously short amount of time.

Any one else feels the same kind of frustration?

Comments

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2012
    You will find your supporters here, no doubt.

But when you look at their register dates, you might find that they are mostly entirely new to the concept of episodic gaming. First they're shocked, and some really do start to wait until a Season is finished before they buy. But a lot of community members, especially in these forums, have understood what this is all about. The wait, anticipation, discussion, guesses, the immediate feedback to and from the makers of the game while it is still in progress, all these things are merits of the episodic gaming concept.

As I said before, you've come to what could more or less be considered the home of episodic gaming. The concept works great, it is unlikely to be changed. ;)
  • edited May 2012
    But when you look at their register dates, you might find that they are mostly entirely new to the concept of episodic gaming.

That's a bad point. I registered today but I have played MANY episodic games before even from telltale games (Hector, Puzzle Agent, Monkey Island & Sam&Max). I am NOT new. But this was the first time (maybe because It is one hard connecting story) I felt REALLY empty after finishing an episode. Not so with any other episodic games, which felt like games on their own, and completing them had a feel of satisfaction to it.

Now, I just feel bad. To be continued... TBH I wouldn't mind if the episodes were longer. Like 10 hours each.And less episodes. Or more expensive. I dunno, but I am very unhappy about it.
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, that was a pretty dismissive point and I apologize for it.

Nonetheless - the cliffhanger is undoubtedly THE key feature of Telltale's episodes, don't you think? As for the emptiness, I can see that too, but it might come with the franchise. It IS a pretty depressing scenario. And it will not end well this time.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Telltale's releases are like playable television shows (and if I remember correctly, that's always what Telltale was aiming for based on early interviews with Telltale CEO Dan Connors). They're usually about 2-3 hours of gameplay per episode, which is about what you'd expect for the interactive television model.

I agree it's a bit different than Telltale's other games in that the episodes aren't really self-contained, so it's a bit different of a feeling in finishing the game than Sam & Max. Though, the Walking Dead television show is the same way (at least from the first season episodes I've seen), so it fits for the license.
  • edited May 2012
    i love episodic games add alot of immerion in many ways its like playing a tv series the game too short? naw each episode is like 5 bucks man what do you expect for 5 dollars in a game! look at it this way a hour and half dvd costs like 20 bucks. This entire game with all 5 episode when they come out will be at least a 10+ hour game ill predict the finale will be a bit longer than 2 but thats just a guess.
  • edited May 2012
    I agree the episodes should be longer a piece or the wait between them should be decreased. Even if the cost had to increase I wouldn't mind. I am all for this episodic gaming however having such little content to play through and such a large gap between each is just pitiful. It's all fine and well comparing the game to a TV show, but it's not a TV show, it's a game. And most if not all TV shows won't air an episode a month.

On a semi-related note, why must American TV shows insist on astronomical gaps between seasons (series)? I can appreciate some shows can take a lot of time and effort to produce, but come on now. The walking dead season 2 finished up and isn't due back for 6 months, season 1 finished and wasn't due back for a year!

Here in the UK you could quite easily see 4 seasons of a show release in a year.
  • edited May 2012
    I just wish the cliffhanger for this episode beat "The power goes out"!

What kind of cliffhanger/ending is that?

Telltale:
    A character becoming godzilla!
    The main character dieing!
    The main characters seeing THEIR OWN corpses!

Walking Dead:
    The numerious death
    Someone shouting out that THEY are the Walking Dead, NOT the walkers!
    So many scenarios of near-death I can't even pick to list!

Combine the two:
    Power goes out...
  • edited May 2012
    Dude, if you are a fan of the comic then you know that you have to bear the burden of waiting for agonizing weeks between episodes. TWD issues always end with a cliff hanger. It's just part of the series and I think TTG has done a good job so far of translating those feelings into the game.
  • edited May 2012
    Me thinks that they drag on the release of each episode to get the customers excited and hyped up. I know I'am!

I do wish each episode was longer but oh well, we'll just have to wait.
  • edited May 2012
    Me thinks that they drag on the release of each episode to get the customers excited and hyped up. I know I'am!

I do wish each episode was longer but oh well, we'll just have to wait.

You have to admit though. Hype IS free advertisement. Episodic gaming like this is just brewing up more hype for the public.
  • edited May 2012
    You gotta wait a month between issues of the comic. You have to wait a week during the run of the show, or the better part of a year between seasons.

How is this any different?
  • edited May 2012
    Not to mention all the wonderful conversation that happens between episodes! How 'bout it, huh? You just gotta love the talk, right? :D
  • edited May 2012
    Here in the UK you could quite easily see 4 seasons of a show release in a year.

You get us back by making us wait so damn long in between seasons of Sherlock.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited May 2012
    You get us back by making us wait so damn long in between seasons of Sherlock.
    I was thinking the exact same thing when I read Braveheartt's post! :D
    And those seasons are only three episodes long!
  • edited May 2012
    dubesor wrote: »
    Hello there, I bought the game because it looked cool and started playing. TBH I didn't do much research on the episodes or lenght of the game etc. I started playing at roughly 4pm. 2 Hours later I was done. Don't get me wrong the game was great and all but it was just far too short and leaves me with a disgusting taste. I don't want to wait for 1 or 2 months or however long every time for ONLY playing 2 hours. That's kind of ridicilous.

I told 2 of my friends about the game and they want to buy it too but I adviced them to wait until ALL GAME has been released in its entirely and THEN buy it. I would certainly have donew that if I knew beforehand. I mean 2 hours is just too short no matter if the game is great. I felt really empty and Like "WTF? that was IT??!" after finishing the episode after such an ridicilously short amount of time.

Get over it. TTG does this since years. It's their thing. It's not their fault, if the customers don't inform themselves. Yes, now that they sell the games on STEAM, Xbox live and PSN, the buyers there aren't aware as much, as the people buying it from the website. And yes, it might be annoying to have to wait a month each time to get a new episode, but it's they business model and I'm sure that they are legally on the safe side.

If you don't like it, don't buy their games or learn to live with it otherwise (or how about you buy the game or start playing the game after all episodes are available?). Other people can manage it as well. Anticipation is part of the experience.
  • edited May 2012
    Personally I never cared much about waiting, especially since I usually buy the season when it ends (with major discounts cough cough =P).
    The only thing that I dislike about this model is that a game can never open up completely as it happened in games like the original Simon The Sorcerer or Monkey Island 2.
    Backtracking many times in those huge worlds while thinking hard about how to solve one of the countless puzzles that filled those scenarios is the best feeling I experienced in adventure games, but sadly this feature seems to have been dropped altogether. Well, apart in Edna and Harvey perhaps. =P
  • edited May 2012
    I like this episodic gaming idea, altho as stated by vainamoe im new to it.

However if you don't want to play 2 hours per month you could wait like months (like any another game) and buy the whole game when the 5 episodes are out.
  • edited May 2012
    In my opinion this kind of episodic releases let the developer, telltale games in this particular case, invoicing the money let you work on the project with not too much risk, and, particulary interesting, having an important feedback with users and work hard to make the game better ang enjoyable as 1st episode has done with me and lot of people here.

Sorry for my basic english I hope you all know what I mean.
  • edited May 2012
    Superfluid wrote: »
    Dude, if you are a fan of the comic then you know that you have to bear the burden of waiting for agonizing weeks between episodes.

What this guy said. TTG are episodic, that won't change. Nothing you can say will change that, so just try and enjoy it, if you can't then don't.

If you're a regular fan of the comics, you have to wait for "issues" (they're kinda like episodes!) to be released, and you get a lot less time out of a single issue than you do an episode of the game. I reckon you're probably a TPB collector - in which case you could adopt this model of "six issues in a book" to the game. Wait til the end of the season, get the inevitable disc release and live long and happy. :)
  • edited May 2012
    I personally like the episode model

though I see why others might not like it
  • edited May 2012
    Just be paitent guys! The next episode will be here soon! I'm using the time to try and get different outcomes :)
  • edited May 2012
    The episodic nature of The Walking Dead game is one of the flaws I noted in my review. Once the full game is released, if the two hour length of New Day is any indication of the length of the games to come, then the whole series will last 10 hours. While that's not exactly a short experience for $25, some of us would rather have a full hearty meal as opposed to small bite-sized snacks. I doubt Telltale Games will be able to deviate from their episodic model since it's done so much good for them, but here's to hoping that future episode will be longer in length.
  • edited May 2012
    I sort of get it with this (the relatively short play time).

I'm not the best with some of the puzzles in, say "Sam & Max" for example, so I would typically get 4 hours or so out of each episode of those, and would play them over 2-3 days.

As a credit to Telltale, "Walking Dead" went by in what seemed like a heartbeat (started at 7:00pm, was done by 9:00pm), so I was a bit "That's it?" when the credits were rolling - but I enjoyed it - and like many others, I'm used to the waiting period between episodes at this point.

Besides, just started playing through "Alan Wake" again - that's keeping me occupied!
  • edited May 2012
    Considering the Walking Dead has an Episodic TV show AND a comic series, Episodic Gaming is a good fit.
  • edited May 2012
    vaeiou wrote: »
    The episodic nature of The Walking Dead game is one of the flaws I noted in my review. Once the full game is released, if the two hour length of New Day is any indication of the length of the games to come, then the whole series will last 10 hours. While that's not exactly a short experience for $25, some of us would rather have a full hearty meal as opposed to small bite-sized snacks. I doubt Telltale Games will be able to deviate from their episodic model since it's done so much good for them, but here's to hoping that future episode will be longer in length.

First off, if you're going to deem that quality a flaw, you should do the same to their other games, or even The Walking Dead mediums such as the comics and TV show. For many reasons they are doing this model: to give themselves more time to program the next episode, to replicate the hype and anticipation felt by fans of the other mediums, and to take in the responses and algorithms (sequences) of how player do things and what they don't do..hence the stats at the end of the episode.

And no, they will not deviate from this episodic method..they didn't before, why start now? And those who want a "full hearty meal" out of this will just have to wait the many months until the season is finished. Like others said, there are also people who can take the hype and anticipation rather positively, me included. Hell, I spend time replaying episode one just thinking of what me, in Lee's shoes, could be doing at this and that time, and I find it fun. Especially what I COULD say to Larry or Hershel.
  • edited May 2012
    Okay, first off, you didn't make ANY sense in that statement of yours. And I know this isn't a comic or TV show, but it's BASED on a comic, and the comic is released within set intervals..so the game will be as well. And of course they use revenue from the gross sales of their product to feed more development for the game.
  • edited May 2012

Welcome to Telltale Games. I'm with you.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm getting more and more happy I got used to this model with SBCG4AP. A game with no total story, so I got used to the episodic formula without wondering what happens in the next part of the story.
  • edited May 2012
    Indeed. SBCG4AP and the firs two seasons of Sam & Max were much easier to handle because the episodes were more self-contained, with a slight connection between them all culminating in a conclusion by the end. It's much harder to accept with these stories now being told in chapters. Funny, before TMI came out I thought Telltale's model would be perfect for that format. In practice I can't say I disagree more, now. I kind of wish Telltale would go back to more self-contained episodes.
  • edited May 2012
    Only problem i have with it,is the length.I feel it should have been longer.I dont think the 5 episodes together if they are each this length,will feel long enough for me.
  • edited May 2012

Why don't you wait until they're all released and then play it? That's what I do.
  • edited May 2012
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Why don't you wait until they're all released and then play it? That's what I do.

Haha, I'm the opposite of you, then. I play the next episode as soon as it comes out (season pass FTW!) and plot my courses over the episodes I have currently..makes it more fun for seeing how my path would go.
  • edited May 2012
    DAISHI wrote: »

Because its like to starving to dead, and someone put you on table in parts full big meal. Do you wait than they put full meal on table, or start eating everything they put? And you know that between every part of this meal you must wait so long that you will feel again starving to dead. Not mention that this parts are tiny and you never feel full.

Telltale had mastered in some Chinese tortures.
  • edited May 2012
    Dalegor wrote: »
    Because its like to starving to dead, and someone put you on table in parts full big meal. Do you wait than they put full meal on table, or start eating everything they put? And you know that between every part of this meal you must wait so long that you will feel again starving to dead. Not mention that this parts are tiny and you never feel full.

Telltale had mastered in some Chinese tortures.
    Sounds like a multi-course meal at a gourmet restaurant. Waiting forever for the next course and when it finally comes, there is more empty acreage on the plate than in the Sahara!

...damn... now I'm hungry
  • edited May 2012
    So you guys are saying episodic gaming is like a gourmet multi-course Chinese dinner, each course leaving you in anticipation of the next delectable bite? If I hadn't bought the game already I'd be sold right about now.
  • edited May 2012
    I need to bear this reminder, Walking Dead actually works well with an Episodic Model.

Their TV show is Episodic. Their Comics is Episodic. It's already part of the system. If this were BTTF, I would be mad (and I'm still a bit peeved, but what's done is done, let it rest), but Walking Dead is DESIGNED to be Episodic in the first place. It's hard to complain about it being Episodic when it's ALREADY designed to be Episodic.
  • edited May 2012
    I am not new to episodic games and love this one. BUT A MONTH... if the game took 12 hours to play an episode I'd probably grin and bear it but when you can finish it in 2 hours its not really on fellows.

I have noticed that a lot of the discussion on this point from the other side seems to be devaluing our opinion in this. It may not be deliberate but there is a tone I am picking up on.

That said, this is not really about the this game now but more so for the future. I will NEVER buy another game like this with this type of episode lag.

If the developers are not interested in our opinion on this so be it, they might just not sell as many games.

We don't have to wait a month between episodes of the series... :)

Like I said, love the game just can't understand this 1 month thing.

For mine, big mistake and I should have read the fine print a little better. Won't be doing it again.

Thanks
    TB
    edited May 2012
    tbenci wrote: »

I have noticed that a lot of the discussion on this point from the other side seems to be devaluing our opinion in this. It may not be deliberate but there is a tone I am picking up on.

That said, this is not really about the this game now but more so for the future. I will NEVER buy another game like this with this type of episode lag.

Like I said, love the game just can't understand this 1 month thing.

It TAKES one month to finish the episode, and that's the tone you might have picked up from members who understood that. It's what episodic gaming is all about. If you can't wait, it is - as I said elsewhere - completely valid and not offensive if you wait for the entire Season to finish before you buy.
  • edited May 2012
    For me episode system is like:

"Hey guys why to invest huge money into project and work it by two years, to give people long and satisfy gameplay. Lets release every month demo version for 5$."

In 90s some demo versions of games was longer than 2h and you can play it repeatable with same excitment. Its quite to do same with quick event game like. Some people see this like this. And some people just hate today model of selling games like:
    - special dlc to collectioners version (in old days was only special real items)
    - special dlc to for example (dr Pepper, like do EA)
    - dlc for few more $ who like cut off from main game before realease.
    - addon politicy, to earn for lower cost job same money per addon like for full game.

And now to my bad list im adding:
    - episode system, to torture players with 2h demo release. :P
  • edited May 2012
    This is the first episodic game I've ever played. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I've ever even heard of episodic gamimg, so I can give the insights of a newb to the system.

First, I actually read about the game prior to buying into it, duh! Geez, what kind of person just buys whatever game pops up? Sure this type of game may not appeal to everyone, no problem, perfectly understandable, but if you don't like it why buy in the first place? We are on the internet here. Lots of avenues for exploration. Easy to get reviews, insights and the like. So if you bought blind that's your own fault, not the fault of Telltale. It' not like they were hiding the fact this game is episodic.

Second, the issue of having to wait. Man, that is one area I can't stand people whining about. No matter what game or software or movie or device, there is always a bunch of people that have absolutely no patience. It's going to take a few months? So what! You'll still be here when the item shows up. Think about how happy you'll be then. Until then do something else, play a different game, get together with a friend, watch a movie. It's like dealing with my kids.

Now as far as the game. I liked it. A lot. Being an adult with patience and not having endless time to sit around playing games, what with a wife and kids and a job and the lawn to mow and bills to pay, in other words, with a life to lead, I don't mind the month or so wait between episodes. Also, I found the game a bit short but not overly so. Would I like more, of course, but as with all things in life, moderation is best.
This discussion has been closed.