Is there going to Wii version

edited May 2012 in The Walking Dead
First of Im not a fanboy. I finished the game on xbox last week.

In one of your first interviews I watched about a year ago you were saying that it's going to be first Telltale game to use Wii Motion Plus and Move on Play Station 3.

So I was wondering is Wii version dead and is there going to be Move support for PS3?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    This is just a guess, but I personally wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a Wii version. If one ends up materializing then that would be phenominal and a true credit to Telltales development skills and support of the platform specifically. However, there is a lot of evidence to suggest that the Wii will either be incredibly late to a release or more likely, won't be receiving a version of The Walking Dead to call it's own at all:

1. To my knowledge, there are no plans for a retail release of The Walking Dead on any platform. If that's the case, this only leaves the current digital distribution model as a possibility for the Wii version. If Telltale does decide to release retail versions of the game, it likely won't be until all 5 episodes are released digitally. If we're assuming 1 episode a month, that brings us into the end of September at the absolute earliest.

2. Which brings us to the Wii-U, which will be released within that exact timeframe. Though I'm sure games will still be available for the Wii a little while after the launch of the updated console, new releases for the older system will have effectively reached the end for the most part. To that end, I wouldn't be surprised if The Walking Dead showed up as a downloadable title for the Wii-U with motion controls intact. But a regular Wii version that late in the consoles proverbial "game?" Doubtful.

3. On Xbox 360 and PC, the game download hovers at around the 450MB mark in size pre-install. Post-install is probably 10-20% larger I'd imagine. In any case, either of these sizes are substantially bigger than the limit WiiWare games can currently be. Could Telltale conceviably cut the episodes down to fit a smaller footprint? Sure, as I assume that's what they're doing on the i-Device platforms to some degree. Can they cut them down to the WiiWare 40MB maximum though? Incredibly unlikely... that's about 90% of the game they'd have to trim down. Doesn't seem reasonable.

Truthfully, I'd like to see a version on the Wii or any other platform that would be capable of handling the game. I think that's just it though... from a technical, financial, and lifecycle standpoint the game doesn't seem like a realistic possibility.
  • edited May 2012
    I think it's safe to say there won't be a Wii release.

For starters, WiiWare is a horribly restrictive service. There's a 40 MB file size limit and Nintendo decides the price for everything. Telltale's tried developing for WiiWare in the past, and it turned out disastrous. If you looked at the PC and Wii versions of Tales of Monkey Island side by side, you'd think the Wii version was made ten years earlier. And on top of that, it cost 50 dollars!

I suppose a retail release is possible, but it would take too much time. For reference, BttF finished on the PC in June, and the Wii port was released in November. The Walking Dead will probably finish in August. Chances are by the time Telltale released a Wii version, the Wii U would already be out.

If there's any consolation, though, Dan Connors has expressed interest in bringing it to the Wii U. That's not a confirmation, mind you.
  • edited May 2012
    They should have called the new wii the "wii wii". The advertising campaigns would have been great. I love my wii wii! I want to play with my wii wii!
  • edited May 2012
    People still play the wii? :eek:
  • edited May 2012
    ruairi46 wrote: »

Xenoblade just came out!
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2012
    It's younger than the Xbox360, so that's not really surprising.

The really crazy thing is that people still play the PlayStation 2 enough for companies to still make new games on that system. :eek:
  • edited May 2012
    I but its well, not the best of consoles.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2012
    I but its well, not the best of consoles.
    It's true it really is showing its age now. But, to be fair, the PlayStation 2 is now over 10 years old. It wasn't too bad when it was released, but it's no match for the seventh generation consoles.
  • edited May 2012
    Forget Wii Ware. Full disk release just like Back to the Future and Sam & Max.

Take my money. Here it is. Hell I'll even pre-order.

Do want.
  • edited May 2012
    I don't care what you people have to say, who cares... I was asking people from Telltale who are actually working there. I am fully aware of WiiWare limitations. I wanted to know if you're going to relase it on disc for the Wii and if not is there going to be Move support for PS3?
  • edited May 2012
    JackMeof wrote: »
    I don't care what you people have to say, who cares... I was asking people from Telltale who are actually working there. I am fully aware of WiiWare limitations. I wanted to know if you're going to relase it on disc for the Wii and if not is there going to be Move support for PS3?

No, there definitely won't be a Wii release, and we don't currently have plans to add Move support to the PS3 version, that I'm aware of. Sorry!
  • edited May 2012
    Wouldent of been worth the time, i say.
  • edited May 2012
    Mike wrote: »
    No, there definitely won't be a Wii release, and we don't currently have plans to add Move support to the PS3 version, that I'm aware of. Sorry!

No reason to buy the game twice then. Well that's... good?
  • edited May 2012
    JackMeof wrote: »
    I don't care what you people have to say, who cares... I was asking people from Telltale who are actually working there.

You posted on a public forum... and got a public response. I'm not sure what the problem is. If you only wanted to talk to a Telltale rep, maybe one of the direct support channels would've been a better bet?

If you post on a forum that allows public responses, you're going to get replies from folks other than those who are employed by Telltale. That's how forums work. It's the nature of the beast.

Cool that Mike was able to confirm that there won't be a Wii release though. Wii U maybe?
This discussion has been closed.