Question regarding character ties.

edited May 2012 in The Walking Dead
So I was thinking, are the characters you have the option of saving(Doug and Carly) tied to each other? It's hard to explain, but I'll do my best.

So I tried multiple times to explain it here, but I just can't find the words I need, so I'll put up an example

-You saved Doug in Ep1, there is a part where you have to save Doug from zombies or whatever by selecting that option, but say you chose Carly, is it possible for her not needing to be saved? as she has her own gun and escapes by herself. Or will you have to actually save her like you would have to save Doug?

I hope that kind of explained what I meant by characters being tied together and hope someone can answer my question. If you don't really get what I'm asking, ask me to explain something more and I'll be happy to do so.

Comments

• edited May 2012
    There is no way to get around choosing one. One must die so that the other may live. *shrug*
  • edited May 2012
    That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you save Doug in Ep1, might you have to do it again in Ep2, where if you save Carly, you might not have to do it again in Ep2.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited May 2012
    iMuzzaa wrote: »
    That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you save Doug in Ep1, might you have to do it again in Ep2, where if you save Carly, you might not have to do it again in Ep2.

While I'm not saying thats whats going to happen, what you describe is certainly a possibility!

Doug and Carley are definately different people so one doesnt simply take the place of another in future episodes. There will be things that happen to Doug that wont happen to Carley and vice versa.
  • edited May 2012
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    While I'm not saying thats whats going to happen, what you describe is certainly a possibility!

Doug and Carley are definately different people so one doesnt simply take the place of another in future episodes. There will be things that happen to Doug that wont happen to Carley and vice versa.

Yeah, but given how limited ammo Carly has, I'm willing to be she'll need to be saved again as well if she's chosen, on that note.
  • edited May 2012
    It's a large possibility they may end up in a similar life or death situation again, as both have their disadvantages that they'd need help from lee. On top of that, neither are very physically able in terms of short range combat, then there is their character quirks. Doug is very passive aggressive so that may put him into a situation where he is slow to accept help when he'd really need it and he blames everything on you if you save him. Carley shys away from dirty work (handing the girl the gun) and is very nosey which can get her in over her head or she may freeze up when we need her most. So yeah I would expect a situation where you must save them once more.
  • edited May 2012
    It's a large possibility they may end up in a similar life or death situation again, as both have their disadvantages that they'd need help from lee. On top of that, neither are very physically able in terms of short range combat, then there is their character quirks. Doug is very passive aggressive so that may put him into a situation where he is slow to accept help when he'd really need it and he blames everything on you if you say him. Carley shys away from dirty work (handing the girl the gun) and is very nosey which can get her in over her head or she may freeze up when we need her most. So yeah I would expect a situation where you must save them once more.

Well, in Carly's defense: because of her background as a radio reporter/journalist makes it so she NEEDS to be nosey..that's how journalists get their information besides the talk of the trade. That, and it's also a good reason she isn't physically-able for melee combat. Though there is a prime example of this. Cindy Lennox and Alyssa Ashcroft from Resident Evil Outbreak. Alyssa is a reporter as well, and Cindy a waitress..both are perfectly capable of both Melee and Ranged combat, and it also helps that Cindy is the designated healer of the group of survivors.

Soo, my point is, there is also a point in which the exact opposite happens..Carly/Doug MAY get better to where they won't need to be rescued as often. But, that's just me.
  • edited May 2012
    Xirsche wrote: »
    Well, in Carly's defense: because of her background as a radio reporter/journalist makes it so she NEEDS to be nosey..that's how journalists get their information besides the talk of the trade. That, and it's also a good reason she isn't physically-able for melee combat. Though there is a prime example of this. Cindy Lennox and Alyssa Ashcroft from Resident Evil Outbreak. Alyssa is a reporter as well, and Cindy a waitress..both are perfectly capable of both Melee and Ranged combat, and it also helps that Cindy is the designated healer of the group of survivors.

Soo, my point is, there is also a point in which the exact opposite happens..Carly/Doug MAY get better to where they won't need to be rescued as often. But, that's just me.
    Her defense is also her determent because being nosey when (and for the reasons of the seriousness of the comic and the game,not a fan of the TV show, I refuse to call them Zombies)those things EAT NOSES and she may get in over her head as some Reporters are known to do, especially when in the middle of a story of the century type deal.
    The thing is even if you get better doesn't mean you won't need help/to be saved, hell Rick(in the comic) and Lee(in the first episode alone) are basically the "Heroes" of our story but we've seen Rick almost crack and need help same for Lee.
  • edited May 2012
    Her defense is also her determent because being nosey when (and for the reasons of the seriousness of the comic and the game,not a fan of the TV show, I refuse to call them Zombies)those things EAT NOSES and she may get in over her head as some Reporters are known to do, especially when in the middle of a story of the century type deal.
    The thing is even if you get better doesn't mean you won't need help/to be saved, hell Rick(in the comic) and Lee(in the first episode alone) are basically the "Heroes" of our story but we've seen Rick almost crack and need help same for Lee.

Well, I see Carly does have the wits to not get TOO nosey in the affairs of others. Sure, she probably followed Lee's case, and thus knowing what he is, but I don't see her pressing him further by his motives or how he did such a thing.

And I never said that if they get better, they won't need help. I just mean't to say that when they get better, the chances of them needing help would lower, and the chances they'd be able to helps ave the group would grow. Especially if a much more powerful gun is found, like a shotgun.
  • CapnJayCapnJay Banned
    edited May 2012
    We'll all find out in a few weeks
  • edited May 2012
    CapnJay wrote: »
    We'll all find out in a few weeks

Yes, yes, that we shall. I can't wait.
This discussion has been closed.