Future Endeavors

edited May 2012 in The Walking Dead
We all know that there are a number of zombie-based games, some maybe even including player input (character creation, picking their own path and almost nothing preset) and such. And I know it may not happen right away, but when the technology is advanced enough, I'm wanting to see an all-out Walking Dead MMO! :D Players make their own character, create their own path and interact just the characters in TWD series do, and such! So, fellow lurkers, I'm interested to hear what you all have to say! In a nutshell: pretty much TWD meets Second Life!

Comments

• edited May 2012
    No,no,no,no. I'm sorry but I don't like MMOs or multiplayer. They ruin the story.
  • edited May 2012
    Rasher wrote: »
    No,no,no,no. I'm sorry but I don't like MMOs or multiplayer. They ruin the story.

Well, they don't to me, but to each their own. Thanks for your input. :D
    My vision for it is that, say, up to 4 or 6 players per..squad, I guess it could be called, traveling around, gain weapons whereever they can, distribute..and perhaps enjoy "life" with them, just like in Second Life. And multiplayer and MMO's, in my opinion, only ruin it if the story is set in stone and what have you..I'm referring to everyone creating their own story via interactions with each other, where they go, what they want or need to do, etc. Just wanted to elaborate on how I feel. ^^
  • edited May 2012
    I'm not a big fan of MMOs. Never have been. I tried Everquest and Warcraft online but I found them boring. I do like a number of multi-player games, Left 4 Dead, Starcraft and maybe Diablo 3 will be a good multi-player. I would be good with a multi-player Walking Dead. But an MMO, not for me, thanks.
  • edited May 2012
    Don´t need the MMO Hype either... last one i played was Ultima Online.. with Everquest, WOW etc. i can´t get along.. not with a great part of the kiddie players as well as the time consumation and the boring gameplay.
  • edited May 2012
    Oh no, Xirsche. Second Life? Really?! Ugh. lol

I can't see TWD becoming any kind of multiplayer game. It's not about the zombies, it's about the survival and interrelations of the group. How they interact and deal with the circumstances. It's an interactive story.

An MMO is right out. Not enough people stay alive to have thousands of players in game at the same time surviving. Not to mention my previous statement regarding the relationships.
  • edited May 2012
    Eh, I see. Well, thanks for the input..just wanted to know where everyone stood with the idea.
  • edited May 2012
    Thats a shame.

Though the games systems wouldnt work with a mmo,the first dev team to bring a decent zombie survival mmo to market is gonna clean up.And the current mmo dev teams are not even capable of making a decent normal mmo,so the field is wide open.

Further,the mmo could drop the first "m" and make itself home server runnable ,like NWN,and only allow 1 hundred or so players each server.Which with large rural towns mapped out,would allow more than enough room to make the players feel isolated when out and about.

Make it moddable and expandable,with company run servers AND community run servers,with a price for the box and for a server license....Whoever managed to turn out a decent product first would rake in a fortune.
  • edited May 2012
    Well, if you give a man a gun, put him in the apacalypse (no matter what type) you'll see all kinds of crazy shit. You'll see cannibles, raiders, forms of militias forming and trying to take back cities, I can see the use in that, in depth crafting, like a man who makes rifles and ammo, someone who can reinforce buildings, fletchers for bows, arrows, crossbows, and bolts. Mechanics who can build.repair anything with the right parts. Scientists to....invent useful stuff? But you also get the extreme uglyness of people wanting things like rape and other extremely vile things. Hell, i'm sure someone would make a zombie arena and turn profite off of it in-game. =p

But all in all, you'd have to heavily monitor the game, people might get alittle out of control...since they're bad enough in games like nerdcraft and ToR etc. You take away the rules of society and say go get 'em. You'll have such an open ended experiance that you couldn't ever be bored. Just when you think your safe, the douche bags that have been hiding in the forests around you for a few weeks attack and destroy all your stuff....so ya. It would be a huge game though, probably bigger than 100gig to make it large enough for people to spread out and do what ever...would love to see it though.
  • edited May 2012
    tkobo, yeah I can see a company doing all that. I mean, they aren't in it for the money or anything. Running innumerable servers with 100 people per would only cost a mint.

Let's face it, games like this do not port to MMOs very well. I really can't see a great deal of desire for such a thing in any event. I seriously doubt any company would 'clean up' if they did such a thing.
  • edited May 2012
    YES! I'd love a Walking Dead RPG, just so I can slap Lori in the head.
  • edited May 2012
    A zombie MMO where everyone either has to find groups to survive with or somehow manage it on their own would be neat. (finding shelter that doesn't already hold either zombies or other people or fighting for said shelter, scavanging for supplies to keep your hunger, thirst and health bar up. Risking to go to sleep because you are exhausted and if you die you'd have to start over and your avatar joins the zombie horde.) And yeah, small servers would be preferable

However, a Walking Dead MMO? NO, a hundred times no. More often than not, when a single player game or a comic or movie gets translated into an MMO it gets ruined. Completely. There are only a few, very few that live up to the task and to be honest, I wouldn't want to risk it.

Sure it drags in a lot of money if done right but the franchise often gets ruined heavily for the fans.
  • edited May 2012
    i just started the secret world beta nda applies but personally i won't playing it beyond a few months....
  • edited May 2012
    Well, while thinking I wasn't being clear, I'll try to flesh out what I mean to be precise (and no, I'm not claiming ANYone is stupid or not getting anything, just want to throw this out there.)

What I mean by MMO, as it's described, is a online game where anyone in the world would be able to join in and play, not just a localized server (though if it were to come to pass, it may start localized then work out to regional, then national.), and by a survival horror version of Fallout of sorts (characterization and all that) but not by classic RPG standards..sure there could be realistic stuff like exercise (running, anyone?) or even running while carrying a load to grow to be more efficient. Man, this would be my dream game, to log in and explore, either in 1st-person or over-the-shoulder 3rd-person, a land ridden in the undead or meet up with survivors..and pretty much play with other players.

In a nutshell: gummed down zombie-genre survival horror Fallout + multiplayer + dialogue is as the player types, not pre-determined..namely this game would be where the ONLY characters are those of other players, no NPCs.
  • edited May 2012
    Ok kids heres a present from ya ol uncle ruairi Click it you know you want to =D http://undeadlabs.com/class3/
  • edited May 2012
    ruairi46 wrote: »
    Ok kids heres a present from ya ol uncle ruairi Click it you know you want to =D http://undeadlabs.com/class3/

That. Looks. PROMISING! Now if they they would add in full characterization, such as what the characters say (text-to-dialogue, anyone? :D), the ability to change appearance such as clothing or hairstyle, and other realistic stuff, then I believe I found MY method of waiting on the Walking Dead. :D Oh, and someone said I was talking about a Walking Dead MMO down to the tooth and nail of the WD universe? No, I merely mean a game that's open-world, sandbox style, fully interactive and survival-oriented, and can play with other players..and hopefully, this game will have that..and it helps that it just might be coming to consoles.
  • edited May 2012
    like dead island/ left 4 dead but with more custom stuff ?

loads of games have promised 'the real deal' none have delivered...
  • edited May 2012
    I'm aware of that. I mean since there isn't actual gameplay to go on, that Class3/4 game looks the most promising for what I was describing
  • edited May 2012
    Closest thing to gameplay, night/day cycle. Very sexy graphics http://undeadlabs.com/media/
  • edited May 2012
    ruairi46 wrote: »
    Closest thing to gameplay, night/day cycle. Very sexy graphics http://undeadlabs.com/media/

Yeah, but I mean besides that. Like basic movement or perhaps zombie animation. Maybe even combat.
  • edited May 2012
    There is a sneakpeak somewhere in one of the old news, fogot which one dno if its worth finding or not, id say not.
  • edited May 2012
    Also project zomboid/Dead state there worth checing out you probly allready herd of pz
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah once Project Zomboid gets into beta stage hopefully they'll start working on netcode. Their goal is 4-8player groups. The game is already a persistent world with limited resources.... Could get ugly. Turn on each other, scavenge, cannibalize? hehe
This discussion has been closed.