The worst possible decision. (speculation)

So, in a couple interviews Gary Whitta stated that they are going to force us to make some pretty terrible decisions. I think I recall him saying that when somebody threw out an idea and someone else said "I think that's going too far" then they knew they had an idea that they had to throw in. So... in a case of the scariest thing being what you don't know I immediately started thinking what some of those horrendous decisions could possibly be. I thought of something that, personally, I can't imagine being a worse decision to make:

End of chapter five, you're nearing safety of some sort or another, all is well, but then, wham... walkers all around you. You get to a fence, it's just Lee and Clementine. Someone appears at the top of the fence, and there's just enough time to rescue one of you. Does Lee push Clementine up the fence to be rescued, or leave her to be eaten?
Do you allow the grown man who can potentially assist whatever group of people he finds to continue their survival, or foist on them a little girl who would be a drain on their resources, but in the long run would be more of an asset in the continued survival of the species? Would you be helping Clementine in letting her survive, without her parents and without lee, or prolonging her suffering?
So many questions, none of the answers are satisfying. Ugh, I don't know if I could make that sort of choice.

What about you? What decisions do you think would be the worst decisions to have to make in the game?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Maybe something like saving Larry or letting him die.

*Possible spoilers*

Instead of what we've been left with (Shawn or Duck, Carley or Doug) where you can choose to help someone first resulting in the other to die (except in the case of Shawn). So imagine escaping zombies and you have the opportunity to save another who is struggling and know you can save them, but instead letting them die because they know things about you that you don't want to get known.
  • CapnJayCapnJay Banned
    edited May 2012
    I'll save Larry as long as noone else has to die for me to do so. if it's save him or let him die i'll save him because lets face it in a zombie apocalypse you need all the able bodies you can get
  • edited May 2012
    I guess the worst thing would be if you could save yourself (Lee) for the cost of the whole group. For example if the group is under attack and you can chose to "jump in a boat" or "help fighting". Thinking of it, it would be great if this was in the game but the group or part of it would survive nevertheless and then meet Lee again ...

Or something like stealing all food or weapons and then sneaking away with Clem leaving the others behind helpless. I mean if they put the story right, for example having huge tension in the group, it could be a reasonable choice.

@Cpt. Sqweky: Your decision would be the final one obviously (dead of playing character = end of game). So I don't think it would be too hard to make it. It is just a decision which final cut scene you want to see.
  • edited May 2012
    In the first scenario, I would sacrifice myself for Clem. No hesitation.

In the second scenario I would not only let Larry die, if I could do so with no repercussions, I would help his grisly demise along. Again, no hesitation.

I would not turn on the group, either stealing food or weapons or leaving them behind. I'ld go out swinging and trying to save everyone possible (except Larry).
  • edited May 2012
    What if you had to decide between saving 4 other survivors such as Carly/Doug, Kenny, Katjaa, and Duck or decide to save Clementine? Oh God that would be painful to choose...

Just imagine the repercussions. If you save the 4 survivors, you would blame yourself for not being able to take care of Clem or maybe even the survivors would resent you(even though you did save their lives)... or Clem would give you the biggest guilt trip because you didn't save the others.
  • edited May 2012
    Maybe im a miserable old sod but id just save clem, shes in my protection, shes a small child, duck has his family, and the others have the same chance as i do at survival
  • edited May 2012
    Maybe im a miserable old sod but id just save clem, shes in my protection, shes a small child, duck has his family, and the others have the same chance as i do at survival

I agree, Clem is Lee's #1 priority. Choosing her over anyone else isn't a hard call and if everyone else happens to be OK after the situation, I'm sure they would all understand Lee's position. Though I'm sure Lee would want to save the others, but there is only so much one man can do (as demonstrated by the casualties of episode 1).

It will be nice to see a more cohesive group as the season progresses where people aren't just looking to Lee to be their savior.
  • edited May 2012
    How's this for a heart-wrenching decision? Clementine is bitten. What do you do? Kill her now in cold blood before she turns? Wait for her to become a zombie?
  • edited May 2012
    How's this for a heart-wrenching decision? Clementine is bitten. What do you do? Kill her now in cold blood before she turns? Wait for her to become a zombie?

Way around that is for there to be a chance to save her. Shawn's death was inevitable by canon, so that's a given. Doug/Carly's death is a choice, so you have the chance to save one or none..if they just put in a scenario with Clem being bitten with absolutely no way to stop it, then that's cruel. Telling from the 5th episode picture, however, I'd say she doesn't get bitten or she does live.
  • edited May 2012
    That is a decision I wouldn't ever want to make. No way I could bring myself to kill Clem regardless of the definite resulting zombie-ism. It is likely that I feel that way because I have a daughter irl, but anyway.

By the way, I hate to burst your bubble here, but I think Clem is just as important as Lee in the game. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but does not the game end and make you reload if you don't save Clem at one point? I know in one situation, someone else saves her and she gives you a guilt trip for the failure. However, I am pretty sure I heard it mentioned by another, failing to save Clem was a game ender just like Lee dying is.

Edit: Essential! That was the damned word I was trying to think of. Clem is essential to the game. Thanks for the verification, Lachi.
  • edited May 2012
    Yes, it is possible to let her die in the first episode, and yes it is a "game over".
  • edited May 2012
    Yeah, that's why my nightmare scenario was the very last thing in the game (save for whatever ending cutscene there is).
  • edited May 2012
    Lachi wrote: »
    Yes, it is possible to let her die in the first episode, and yes it is a "game over".

May I ask where? When she is grabbed one of the two times? I have to say that my instincts may have kicked in during those scenes and I may not have recognized the possibility for failure.

I have to guess maybe something to do with Clementine's parents. Like kill them (as walkers) or let them kill -insert Duck or someone you grow attached to-.
  • edited May 2012
    kayvent wrote: »
    May I ask where? When she is grabbed one of the two times? I have to say that my instincts may have kicked in during those scenes and I may not have recognized the possibility for failure.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29962
This discussion has been closed.