Season 3 may have been the last

edited September 2012 in Sam & Max
Well correct me if I'm wrong... but I fear that Season 3 may well have been the last Sam & Max season, and a Season 4 isn't being planned. :( Well how else can we explain the sudden appearance of all the living characters in the finale?! And I'm taking into account the fact that it was made a few years after S2 - maybe it was a comeback special or something! Your thoughts?

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Just because a 4th season isn't currently planned (which is mainly down to the fact that there are two game seasons to come after the Walking Dead is finished) doesn't mean that it won't happen. In fact I'd be more surprised if there isn't a season 4 in the near future, most likely after King's Quest.
  • edited May 2012
    They were all there because it was an emotional finale, no other reason.
  • edited May 2012
    well i didn't expect a third. so a fourth isnt that farfetched.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Nope... Season 3's ending clearly left room for more. Heck, we didn't even get to see Sybil's kid. :D

Season 4 is threatened, I see that much. And I'm not talking about Fables and King's Quest (both too much fairy tale stuff, if you ask me ;) ), but about the revenue from BTTF, JP and TWD. If Telltale gets the idea that those last franchises are where the money is, well... THEN we'd have a problem.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm very worried...

I think we'd better talk to Steve Purcell about this!
  • edited May 2012
    I wish we COULD talk to him! As it is, I don't think.... well...

But I stand by what I said before: Season 3 was surely the end of TTG's Sam & Max era.
  • edited May 2012
    ^But if it is, it's only the end of Sam & Max's TTG era, they could go on to bigger and better things (pessimistically I doubt that it will happen, but a man can dream, a man can dream).
  • edited May 2012
    God only knows what they could be!
  • edited May 2012
    Steve's one of my best friends on Facebook. Mebbe if I ask nicely (beg)...
    edited May 2012
    This probably won't hinge on Purcell's permission.

When Brave has finally seen the light of day and Steve Purcell has become a superstar, Season 4 will not be a problem any more. :D
  • edited May 2012
    Unless of course the film flops out...
  • edited May 2012
    Just because a sequel does not come out immediately does not mean that it will never come.
    edited May 2012
    FrankT wrote: »
    Unless of course the film flops out...

NE-VAlllRRRR.

ndwmdd.jpg
  • edited May 2012
    Wait a minute, it's been in production that long?!?!?!
    edited May 2012
    Those were probably the first character design sketches of eventual relevance, so, yeah. ;)
  • edited May 2012
    I don't think season 3 was the last one, It can't be :P, sure it might take some time to get released. The way I see it is that, I would love to see an announcement on August (Sam & Max's 25th anniversary, Monkeys violating the heavenly temple was apparently released in August '87) and a release early/middle 2013, depending on Fables and King's Quest release dates.
  • edited May 2012
    I truly hope it isn't. I don't believe in prolonging the death of a series that hasn't been doing well, but the newer seasons of Sam & Max have done nothing but improve.
  • edited May 2012
    I'd love to see Season 4 in 2013
  • edited May 2012
    Speaking as both the guy who made a totally mean "don't ever hope" thread, and one who only just processed today that it's been TWO YEARS since season three, I gotta admit: I still have faith this franchise at the very least isn't dead.

It's got the rockiest history ever, and something keeps saving it over and over.

It just doesn't die.

Telltale wise, however, that ending seemed pretty...final, yeah. I doubt they were thinking "well that's that. Let's never do this again", but you definitely get the sense they were intending to put some closure there, at least for a good while.
    Did telltale get the deal with universal before or after then?
    edited May 2012
    wellgolly wrote: »
    it's been TWO YEARS since season three

Ahhhh no. Since Episode 5 released, only one year, nine months and one day have passed. Yup, I'm counting. :D
  • edited June 2012
    sammun-mak.jpg
    edited June 2012
    Considering your user name, even you could have spelled "handsome" right! ;)

...errrrr, was there ever an explanation why "Sammun-Mak" was actually called "Sammun-Mak"?!
  • edited June 2012
    Because it sounds similar to Sam and Max?
    edited June 2012
    The similarity is exactly the thing I want an explanation for! :D
  • edited June 2012
    I like to assume Sammun-Mak was a distant ancestor of Mack Salmon. Somehow.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2012
    wellgolly wrote: »
    Telltale wise, however, that ending seemed pretty...final, yeah. I doubt they were thinking "well that's that. Let's never do this again", but you definitely get the sense they were intending to put some closure there, at least for a good while.
    Did telltale get the deal with universal before or after then?

The end of Season 3 has nothing to do with the Universal deal. The way 305 was written it felt like it was bringing together years of Sam & Max content, so we wanted the ending to feel like that as well. That's not to prevent a hypothetical episode 401 from just throwing a bucket of mud all over that ending and rolling on like nothing happened. That's part of why Sam & Max is good.
  • edited June 2012
    Say, are you guys planning on releasing The Penal Zone on XBLA?
  • edited June 2012
    Yes.
  • edited June 2012
    Jake wrote: »
    The end of Season 3 has nothing to do with the Universal deal. The way 305 was written it felt like it was bringing together years of Sam & Max content, so we wanted the ending to feel like that as well. That's not to prevent a hypothetical episode 401 from just throwing a bucket of mud all over that ending and rolling on like nothing happened. That's part of why Sam & Max is good.

Yes. That is why it felt like a true end in the Telltale series, if not a finale for all the game series as a whole, including Hit the Road.

Like I said way before in my review of Season 3 in the form of a forum post, I said I'd be satisfied if The Devil's Playhouse is the end. It wraps everything up so well, has that form of a "reset ending" that surprisingly doesn't feel like betraying you for your loyalty as a fan but instead sets the tone for the whole events that have happened up until that point in true Sam and Max fashion, and it's simply very very good. I feel like Season 3 finale rewarded my long dedication and bonding to the entire franchise.

It doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy for a Season 4, I mean I would most certainly be. Just that I think everyone should be aware you people have set a bar so high that will take quite a time in development to create something that will carry it even much higher -if you guys ever want to carry the joy & burden to do it again. In any case, I'm good.
  • edited June 2012
    Does that mean there could be a Season 5, instead of a Season 4??
  • edited June 2012
    no...well maybe as a joke
  • edited June 2012
    Well why not? They did it with Leisure Suit Larry.
  • edited June 2012
    I would also love to see Season 4. I love sam and max series, it was the main reason I started to like Tell Tale Games. Sam and Max helped TellTale Games to become what is it. Please do more seasons for your loving fans.
  • edited June 2012
    I still say this was the finale. :(
  • edited June 2012
    Randall_Mc wrote: »
    I would also love to see Season 4. I love sam and max series, it was the main reason I started to like Tell Tale Games. Sam and Max helped TellTale Games to become what is it. Please do more seasons for your loving fans.
    This.
  • CP`CP`
    edited July 2012
    I sure hope there is a season 4 of Sam and Max. I remember one of the highlights of every month was when I got an email telling me that the new Sam and Max or Tales of Monkey Island episode was released
    edited July 2012
    *sigh*
    dancon wrote: »
    Hi Lattsam
    Can't talk about anything right now but what do you think Sam and Max would want us to do for their 25th.

Unfortunately I dont see us doing anything with the stuff that belongs to LA

(from last November)
  • edited July 2012
    And now even with after the delay of The Walking Dead, they want to give TWD a second season...

o_O
  • edited July 2012
    Well Season 4 would be nice.

But i wouldn mind an entire new Sam & Max game from telltale. still with humor, but maybe in a darker universe / setting.

Sam & max would fit in a dark universe with some dark comedy.
    edited July 2012
    lattsam wrote: »
    And now even with after the delay of The Walking Dead, they want to give TWD a second season...

o_O

Probably not immediately though. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.