Season 2, less calculated

edited June 2007 in Sam & Max
(Forum or Max ate my first post, so here is a second try)

After listening the audio commentary, I was a bit puzzled by the worry of bowling ball joke. Lucasarts was willing to throw a lot heavier object and even have Max jump over the guy and yell "Why wont you just die!". To me Telltale feels to have been a lot more careful with Season 1, even if the guns are included (but not really used that much). Would for an example dipping Max in water and electrocuting him be too much for Telltale version? While I suppose it makes sense to be safe for young kids, surely real target audience of Sam & Max have already turned 20?

Secondly! More fine tuning and plot development could be had. The motivation of doing the certain choices wasn't always there. Why was statue of Lincoln animated, why can't doesn't using guns solve some issues isn't sporting and why does Sam & Max's car fly? I felt slightly cheated when it wasn't justified in any fashion.

Thirdly, having same character over and over again, without them really giving anything new to the story, for seeing them again, felt a bit too much of repetition (we get after a few times that Sybil keeps changing her job, and that Bosco is paranoid). For example, reusing the same characters like Soda Poppers as three governors felt more of reusing the art, than actually having real story reason for it. Reusing the characters saves art resources, but cutting corners isn't always the way.

Finally the audio quality could use improvement, less packing please.

I hope this does not sound too negative, as overall I did enjoy the season 1. I did finish all the six games, and now I am waiting for more. However I am expecting the Season 2 to be even better! So no Dallas dream season please! :)

Comments

• edited June 2007
    While I'd rather not make a big deal about this, I too was a little curious to learn that the developers had so much debate over whether or not it was OK to throw a bowling ball on someone's head. In the comics something like that would have been a shrug. I'm happy to see that Telltale has a sense or responsibility regarding its products, but frankly at their worst Sam & Max comics don't come close to breaking the PG-13 barrier, so I don't see what the point is in aiming "nicer" than the comics with the episodes. I don't mean to rally up some kind Increase the Violence campaign or anything - anyone who thinks violence is the heart of Sam & Max simply doesn't know the license - but it's kind of weird to suddenly be worrying about kids emulating the bowling ball thing when in the same game the heroes constantly abuse hand guns. Let the source material define the limits. Don't add nuclear explosions and breasts to Bone to make it "mature"; don't remove the edginess from Sam & Max to make it "family-friendly."

(Based on the games I've never felt that Telltale veered far from the "violence factor" of the comics in either direction, so as far as I'm concerned there's no problem. I just found it interesting to hear the behind-the-scenes take on the gag.)
  • edited June 2007
    Kraken wrote: »
    After listening the audio commentary, I was a bit puzzled by the worry of bowling ball joke. Lucasarts was willing to throw a lot heavier object and even have Max jump over the guy and yell "Why wont you just die!". To me Telltale feels to have been a lot more careful with Season 1, even if the guns are included (but not really used that much). Would for an example dipping Max in water and electrocuting him be too much for Telltale version? While I suppose it makes sense to be safe for young kids, surely real target audience of Sam & Max have already turned 20?
    People (myself included) have been complaining at first about it being too safe and not "edgy" enough, but I feel this has been mostly resolved from episode 4 on out.
    And in an interesting historical parallel, some of the most violent Max-talk is in one of the very first scenes. "Let me pry open his skull and look for a conscience, Sam!", "I'm thinking of shoving a lightbulb down your throat, perp!", "I've had mercy, it was unpleasantly gooey, like... well, like things that have fallen onto the pavement from a great height.". And episode 3 had the pretty violent exchange "Did he get the notes I sent him?", "Yes, but he said to stop carving them into the suspects. He can't read them without his bifocals.", "What if I just write bigger?".
    More fine tuning and plot development could be had. The motivation of doing the certain choices wasn't always there. Why was statue of Lincoln animated, why can't doesn't using guns solve some issues isn't sporting and why does Sam & Max's car fly? I felt slightly cheated when it wasn't justified in any fashion.
    The lincoln statue was
    created/animated by Chuckles as part of his plot to seize control of the nation. There were a few scenes to indicate this though perhaps there could've been a bit more info.
    I agree that Sam should've been just a bit more trigger-happy. When
    Sam opened fire on Hugh Bliss
    in episode 6, that was the attitude I'd been waiting for all season. Not good, though at least it gives me some hope for season 2.
    As for the car, that's a classic Sam & Max thing: in the classic comics, they could drive to any location and be there in the next panel with little or no explanation, even if it involved time travel or going to another continent. (And the first time they visited the moon (in the comic), they did something involving matchsticks.) I'll admit that for some reason it worked less well here; somehow it's less obviously satirical.
    Thirdly, having same character over and over again, without them really giving anything new to the story, for seeing them again, felt a bit too much of repetition (we get after a few times that Sybil keeps changing her job, and that Bosco is paranoid). For example, reusing the same characters like Soda Poppers as three governors felt more of reusing the art, than actually having real story reason for it. Reusing the characters saves art resources, but cutting corners isn't always the way.
    I actually liked the Soda Poppers in episode 4, though not so much in 2 and very glad they didn't show up in 3 and 5. And don't judge them too harshly for some re-use; it was a rather tight schedule to keep and episode 4 was quite stuffed.
    Finally the audio quality could use improvement, less packing please.
    Yes, this has come up a lot ever since the first episode came out. The good news: Emily mentioned a couple of times that they'll implement some changes in future games that will allow them to more easily swap out audio files, allowing them to put out alternate high-audio-quality versions and/or audio-quality-upgrade patches.

edit: Sorry for going on a rant here. I'm only now noticing how long and somewhat aggressive this post is...
  • edited June 2007
    Kraken wrote: »
    Secondly! More fine tuning and plot development could be had. The motivation of doing the certain choices wasn't always there. Why was statue of Lincoln animated, why can't doesn't using guns solve some issues isn't sporting and why does Sam & Max's car fly? I felt slightly cheated when it wasn't justified in any fashion.

1. Lincoln's statue was animated because Abe Lincoln is supposedly the most beloved president in US history, so naturally, people would be inclined to vote for him, and if he wins, those controlling him would gain power over the US.

2. Because if you shot those people, then they wouldn't be around to affect an important plot point later on in the game. Sequence breaking is best left to Metroid games.

3. They filled the fuel tank with "Generic-brand powdered orange drink", giving it enough propulsion to fly. Besides, the DeSoto flew to the moon in one of the original comics, yet no one questioned that.
  • edited June 2007
    They filled the fuel tank with that stuff? I actually thought they just used it as a snack.:o IIRC the comics had some kind of explanation involving matchsticks, by the way.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2007
    Max stuffed the tailpipe full of matchsticks, a very scientific explanation. Also they take their paper bag face masks off because the air is breathable. Note 1) they got to the moon by stuffing matchsticks in a tailpipe, 2) they were trying to use paper bags as space helmets, 3) they took them off. That's not an explanation, it's entertainment.

I don't really know, since I had nothing to do with designing the games or anything like that, but I think with Culture Shock people were still trying to figure out where the line should be drawn. Also, I think the designers were being a little flip about that than you're giving them credit for. Myra got electrocuted, Chuckles was basically murdered by the Washington Monument which had been converted into a ballistic missile, and also would you like to rub my unicorn?
  • edited June 2007
    Wasn't there a swear word in Episode 6? Seems like I remember an especially edgy line in there somewhere.
  • edited June 2007
    I think it's missing the point to start tallying the swear words.
  • MelMel
    edited June 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    ...also would you like to rub my unicorn?

:o

Gosh...
  • edited June 2007
    Let's not forget the "Does the carpet match the drapes?" exchanges. Try putting an E rating on *that*! :P
  • edited June 2007
    Lol yea the unicorn bit caught me offguard ORrah!

EDIT:
    In my opinion.. you have plenty of room for the line to still go guys :P keep pushin! Its only getting better!
  • edited June 2007
    But if it weren't for the carefree innocence of this carnival, I'd be breaking his kneecaps

It popped in my head while reading all this.
  • edited June 2007
    AdamG wrote: »
    Wasn't there a swear word in Episode 6? Seems like I remember an especially edgy line in there somewhere.
    That's where all that investment money is going. Right into the swear jar.
  • edited June 2007

I remember Lincoln said "damn", but I don't remember any other "words of ill repute".
  • edited June 2007
    Telltale has yet to reach the line. they are miles away from it, so i really hope they grab about the balls so to speak, and lets have to more crazy, wacky and insane jokes, and insults in the next season, if game developers are really becoming so scared of using moral insults and bizare jokes, like beating people up, shooting people, and so forth, then there really isnt much room for Sam & Max.

A good eksample of this, is that some crazy holy people are getting offended because sony is using a church in a game, i mean comeon, its not sony's or any other problems that you got a insane belief in gods or a church being a holy place, religion is a private thing, and should be kept private. So please lets sam & max get ever more daring, insulting and so forth in the next games :)

Also if people go an do things the see in violent game, then they got a brain malfunction already, so still it isnt the game who make people do things, murder and what ever, its because they are fucked up already :P so please keep moral in the back and get to the sam & max universal line for humor.
  • edited June 2007
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    A good eksample of this, is that some crazy holy people are getting offended because sony is using a church in a game, i mean comeon, its not sony's or any other problems that you got a insane belief in gods or a church being a holy place, religion is a private thing, and should be kept private.
    I live near(ish) to that cathedral, and I think they're really overreacting. It's supposedly to do with encouraging gun crime, but I hardly think it being placed in a real building (albeit one in an area filled with gun crime, which just so happened to be a gun crime capital anyway) would make that much difference from a made up place.

Meanwhile, Manhunt 2 slips under the radar.
  • edited June 2007
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Manhunt 2 slips under the radar.

I was very surprised that the Manhunt 2 protests are so minimal. Rockstar knocked the gore up a few notches, made the story even more twisted, added a few new execution types, and Jack Thompson only frothed at the mouth for about a week upon finding out. Hopefully this means he's running out of steam...

(Speaking of Manhunt 2... about bloody time it was made! :p)
  • edited June 2007
    Even in the first one sam said ass.
  • edited June 2007
    would you like to rub my unicorn?

Now if anything, THAT'S what I wondered if it would be the line-crossing.

I think the best part is, though, that it's always been a sort of Disney style of teen humor. It's hard to know what I mean; Disney often incorporates a zillion different really adult jokes into their kids' movies, but make sure they're so subtle (and never a visual joke) that the kids won't really even know what just happened. I'm betting there are some people out there who didn't notice anything in Jake's quote. Thus, it still makes the game safe, but appeal to everyone really well.
  • edited June 2007
    ShaggE wrote: »
    I was very surprised that the Manhunt 2 protests are so minimal. Rockstar knocked the gore up a few notches, made the story even more twisted, added a few new execution types, and Jack Thompson only frothed at the mouth for about a week upon finding out. Hopefully this means he's running out of steam...

(Speaking of Manhunt 2... about bloody time it was made! :p)

Actually, it looks like Thompson's at it again, and he may actually have reinforcement this time...
  • edited June 2007
    Katana wrote: »
    Disney often incorporates a zillion different really adult jokes into their kids' movies, but make sure they're so subtle (and never a visual joke) that the kids won't really even know what just happened.

Yes; things like 'does the carpet match the drapes' mean nothing unless the player has already been exposed to that euphemism, by which time it's too late! Care should be taken not to get too crude, though - if people DO spot the innuendos (innuendi?) and they're not very tasteful, it'll make the game less satisfying on the whole. Swearing shouldn't be abused for the same reasons.

Incidentally, I think one of my (now) favourite and most shocking over-the-kids'-heads moments is a bit in the cartoon Two Stupid Dogs when the little dog goes 'why do people come to these [dragon movies] anyway?' and the camera pans out to show all the cars bouncing up and down rhythmically. As a young'un I never noticed; watching it on YouTube not long ago I was simply amazed to see they put it in!
  • edited June 2007
    I think I regret posting what I did. :(
  • edited June 2007
    Two Stupid Dogs, that's a good cartoon! :p
  • edited June 2007
    Note 1) they got to the moon by stuffing matchsticks in a tailpipe, 2) they were trying to use paper bags as space helmets, 3) they took them off. That's not an explanation, it's entertainment.

Well, they were explanations, just entertaining explanations. It is a bit odd but I can stomach a car getting to the moon by shoving matches in the tailpipe a lot easier than it just appearing. It doesn't matter what the explanation is, as long as there is one. Saying 'it happened because it needed to happen' seems a it deux ex machina to me.
  • edited June 2007
    There was definitely a lot of swearing, especially in ep 4,5, & 6. Also, there are a lot of innuendi (or whatever). But some of those jokes were the best parts of the season. For example:
    (At the presidential debate in ep 4)
    Max: "I'd like to tell a funny story. Ok, so Chester A. Arthur and The Pope were kayaking down the Amazon River. All the sudden a *beep* *beep* *beep* and The Pope screams in pain, "*beep* help me *beep* *beep* *beep*!"
    I think you get the point.
  • edited June 2007
    Actually, it looks like Thompson's at it again, and he may actually have reinforcement this time...

This part of the article really gets me... "He believes it is important to help protect children from influences which may introduce violence into their lives and stresses the importance of parental involvement in the efforts to keep these influences out of our homes and away from our families."

Ignoring the fact that unless your child lives in a cage 24/7, it's impossible to shield them from seeing violence (and the fact that sugar-coating the real world is a terrible idea), any parent with an eye and a brain cell can see that Manhunt 2 is not for children.

Instead of swinging the banhammer at every game with a red pixel, perhaps we should (shock and awe) read the ratings!

Sorry for going so far off-topic, but that last paragraph really grinds my gears.
    edited June 2007
    Well, they were explanations, just entertaining explanations. It is a bit odd but I can stomach a car getting to the moon by shoving matches in the tailpipe a lot easier than it just appearing. It doesn't matter what the explanation is, as long as there is one. Saying 'it happened because it needed to happen' seems a it deux ex machina to me.

"we can use this dimensional portal right here on the bar!"
    "that's a beer stain knucklehead!"
    "oh, well in that case..."

[page turn]

"... here we are in ancient egypt!"
  • edited June 2007
    classic!
  • edited June 2007
    Hehe, that made me laugh. I agree, however, that in the games a semi-explanation like the matchsticks in the exhaust pipe is better than none, for one thing because it's funnier; also we need to believe Sam and Max are sufficiently non-omnipotent that they do actually have to solve all the game's puzzles in order to complete their task. It also adds opportunities to include puzzles that involve, for example, acquiring the matches and using them on the car.
  • jmmjmm
    edited June 2007
    Acquiring matches....
    I am seeing that puzzle right now and it involves Bosco and some ludicrous amount of money!
    Plus Matches and Max could be used elsewhere, knowing the love for explosives and fire that our favorite rabbity-thing has (For instance, torturing Jimmy)
  • edited June 2007
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Telltale has yet to reach the line. they are miles away from it, so i really hope they grab about the balls so to speak, and lets have to more crazy, wacky and insane jokes, and insults in the next season, if game developers are really becoming so scared of using moral insults and bizare jokes, like beating people up, shooting people, and so forth, then there really isnt much room for Sam & Max.

A good eksample of this, is that some crazy holy people are getting offended because sony is using a church in a game, i mean comeon, its not sony's or any other problems that you got a insane belief in gods or a church being a holy place, religion is a private thing, and should be kept private. So please lets sam & max get ever more daring, insulting and so forth in the next games :)

Also if people go an do things the see in violent game, then they got a brain malfunction already, so still it isnt the game who make people do things, murder and what ever, its because they are fucked up already :P so please keep moral in the back and get to the sam & max universal line for humor.
    That part about the church is brilliant. In fact, this whole post is brilliant. It represents everything I believe regarding game content.

That being said, I also think that Telltale needs to up it a little bit. Not talking about explaining how they got to places--that's classic Sam and Max style--I'm talking about more swearing and violence, because that's ALSO classic Sam and Max style. Although I do agree that the later episodes got a little better on this front (Truth serum anyone?), they were still rather weak on the swearing and they were less...Sam and Maxy because of it. :)

Of course, I'll still be buying it no matter what you do, so go ahead and make the world made of fluffy pink chickens if you like :)
  • edited June 2007
    To be honest, I'd rather they didn't go down the swearing and violence route. Most of the time on films and games with a lot of swearing, it feels like they just put it there just to be edgy and / or to distract people from a severe lack of storytelling. I don't mind it the odd occasion for mood or the purpose of a joke, but constant swearing just isn't what I want from anything.
    The comics had swearing in, but it didn't go overboard with it.
    Besides, would you rather hear things like "Great steaming gouts of magma on a beeline for the orphanage" or a monotone "Holy s**t"? =P

As for the violence, one of the main things about Sam and Max is that the violence is just implied. You never see anything on screen, and it's all the more funny for it. It's funny hearing about Max knifing messages to the commisioner into criminals, but it's something a lot of people would rather go without seeing.
  • edited June 2007
    Hmmm...matches...now that would be a good inventory item. I remember one adventure game where the only use of your matches was the address written on it.
    WHAT THE HELL? In the words of Gabe Newell, "C'mon people. You can't show the player a really big bomb and then not let them blow it up."
    I think Max's presidential joke was good, but only because you don't fall back on that joke many times. The fact that swears have been avoided so many times usually indicates some good writing. When people are swearing all the time, you're not surprised by someone swearing at a turning point, so the writing staff needs to come up with new swears.

Marcus Fenix: Shit, that was f***ing intense...
    Soldier: All right, HQ, we are in the compound. Awaiting further orders...........HQ??? DAMMIT. These f***ing radios.
    Soldier: Hey, hey, cool it jackass. At least we're safe now. Let's just- *sniped*
    Writer: Hmmm. Now I need a phrase that sounds relatively surprised.
    Marcus Fenix: HOLY F*** ON A ******* SANDWICH WITH F****ING ***** ON TOP!!!!
    Writer: Let's throw in an obligatory f***.
    Marcus Fenix: AND AN EXTRA HELPING OF F***!!!

That's why I loved it in Half-Life 2...only f-bomb in the game is Barney's last line: "And if you see Dr. Breen, tell him I said F*** YOU!"

Sorry if my post is under-censored. I can tone it down if necessary.
    edited June 2007
    I don't think Sam and Max ever swear... The closest to anything resembling racy dialog that they get in the comics, in my memory, is Max asking "what's a pimp?" or maybe claiming Mr Peanut is gay, in the webcomic. (hint: not actually racy or filled with curse words) I don't think Sam and Max should be cursing up a storm or something, but more edginess is always welcome, if not done lamely.
  • edited June 2007
    As for the violence, one of the main things about Sam and Max is that the violence is just implied. You never see anything on screen, and it's all the more funny for it. It's funny hearing about Max knifing messages to the commisioner into criminals, but it's something a lot of people would rather go without seeing.

Except when Max
    punched the head off the president
    in Episode 4. :)
  • jmmjmm
    edited June 2007
    Except when Max
    punched the head off the president
    in Episode 4. :)

I also recall
    dropping a bowling ball and punching Soda Poppers in Episode 1
    and
    everyone in the season finale
  • edited June 2007
    I was thinking more along the lines of blood, gore and on-screen torture. But good point.
  • edited June 2007
    I was thinking more along the lines of blood, gore and on-screen torture. But good point.
    Yes! We should definitely have more of those! ;)
  • edited June 2007
    I don't think Sam and Max ever swear... The closest to anything resembling racy dialog that they get in the comics, in my memory, is Max asking "what's a pimp?" or maybe claiming Mr Peanut is gay, in the webcomic.
    "Umm, I pray Sam's flimsy sheet doesn't blow off. If were to glimpse his hideous junk I'd have to bloink my tortured eyeballs out with a soup spoon."

and one of my favorite Sam & Max lines ever, as Max is headed into a public bathroom in the road trip comic:

SAM: "Use these tongs if you have to touch anything in there."
    MAX: "Anything?"
  • edited June 2007
    Hey, you torture two guys in the first season...Jimmy and the Indian Poker cheat (bad with names at the moment...)
    edited June 2007
    Chuck wrote: »
    "Umm, I pray Sam's flimsy sheet doesn't blow off. If were to glimpse his hideous junk I'd have to bloink my tortured eyeballs out with a soup spoon."

and one of my favorite Sam & Max lines ever, as Max is headed into a public bathroom in the road trip comic:

SAM: "Use these tongs if you have to touch anything in there."
    MAX: "Anything?"

I forgot about the hideous junk one. Noooooo.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.