Pixar needs to make a Sam and Max movie...

edited June 2012 in Sam & Max
> Steve Purcell is an Employee at Pixar
> Season One had "Inspired by Pixar" written all over it from the music to the plot...
> The ending song "World of Max" sounded like a typical Pixar ending theme...

I just don't get what is holding them back D: The need to make a S&M movie! >:(

Dispite the fact that these days, a GCI movie or Animated movie would immediately lead people to believe its for children, Sam and Max can cater to children as much as adults if the cards are set right and they choose the right middle line...

What do you guys think?

Comments

• edited June 2012
    No, Sam and Max are really not designed to be a movie.
  • edited June 2012
    Purcell has even admitted himself that Sam & Max is not a good fit for Pixar. Pixar make family oriented films, Sam & Max just don't fit their style.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah, unfortunately Steve already said he wouldn't do a Sam & Max movie with Pixar, since it doesn't really fit their model. Maybe with another animation studio someday, possibly?
    Actually, I think it'd be really cool if Steve just did a new original film with Pixar, one that's all his own idea and style, even if it's not Sam & Max related at all.
  • edited June 2012
    Maybe with 20th Century Fox, yeah! But not Pixar. Nope.
  • edited June 2012
    Approaching the issue from different angle, I don't think it's impossible for Pixar to bend their movie model to approach a different audience. The way I see it, Pixar is a revolutionary studio and has done brave things to change the industry. However it is also true that characters like Sam and Max who are created to parody basically everything we face in real life -and does it without forcing too much to be politically "wrong" by overusing cuss words or visualizing unnecessary gore, and that's why I believe Sam and Max is better at satire than all other stuff CALLED to be satirical like South Park or Sasha Baron Cohen movies-, kind of opposes the idea of Pixar, company creating fantastic and unreal characters and making them RELATE to the real world audience -which HAS become the goal of every other studio producing full-length animation films. If Pixar really cares about cultural innovation, and decides to do something completely new, Sam and Max would be the perfect choice to do so. If done right, it would change the industry all around in itself, and I do think that kind of a change is needed.
  • edited June 2012
    Actually, I think it'd be really cool if Steve just did a new original film with Pixar, one that's all his own idea and style, even if it's not Sam & Max related at all.

He's co-directing and co-writing Brave. Granted, it's not his original idea, but that's still pretty cool.
  • edited June 2012
    He's co-directing and co-writing Brave. Granted, it's not his original idea, but that's still pretty cool.

It iritates me that most of whats been said about the directing in reviews has been about Brenda Chapman (who was replaced with Mark Andrews in October 2010 due to creative disagreemants), it seems like with the thing of it being the first Pixar film directed by a woman has overshadowed Mark Andrews and Steve Purcell's involvement. I hope the film does go well because even when he is not working on Sam and Max Purcell is a great writer and it would be great if he could put some of his ideas to the screen.
  • edited June 2012
    Incidentally, while Steve may not want Pixar to do a full-length Sam and Max cartoon, Pixar does love sneaking in tiny references.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brave had, say, a dog and a rabbit next to each other in the background.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2012
    I love some of the Pixar movies and I am sure I'll like Brave a lot also, but Steve is right, Sam & Max is not a franchise for them. The last thing I want to see is a family-oriented version of Sam & Max.
  • edited June 2012
    The last thing I want to see is a family-oriented version of Sam & Max.

I think a lot of people forget the animated series was technically "family-oriented", since it was a Saturday morning cartoon that aired on a kids network. :P Still, point taken, Vai.
  • edited June 2012
    Incidentally, while Steve may not want Pixar to do a full-length Sam and Max cartoon, Pixar does love sneaking in tiny references.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brave had, say, a dog and a rabbit next to each other in the background.

"And here's Nur-Ab-Sal....."
Sign in to comment in this discussion.