Safe to say that this is in development hell?

edited September 2012 in Kings Quest Game
A couple of my friends asked me about Telltale's take on King's quest. They heard about it ever since they announced that they were going to do it. So far, nothing new has been brought out about the game. So is it safe to say that this game is in development hell? Thats what alot of my friends are coming down with a conclusion for the lack of updates on the development on this.

Comments

• puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2012
    Nope. Think about Telltale's track record: Sam & Max 3 wasn't announced until the end of Tales of Monkey Island (even though it was already in development), there was very little information on Back to the Future until soon before it came out, ditto with Jurassic Park and The Walking Dead.

So far as I can tell, it's just not Telltale's model to provide regular updates/info/insight for games in development. We still have 3 episodes of The Walking Dead to go and then Fables as well before we should be expecting King's Quest. Just because they're quiet about it doesn't automatically mean there are problems.
  • edited August 2012
    I'm hoping they remake it, because I'd love to see all of them remade again. Just think what you could do nowadays remaking KQ 1-7
  • edited August 2012
    I would rather a brand new adventure.... I think the old games are fine as they are.. and there have been some real quality fan remakes as well.
  • edited August 2012
    I agree... Too many fan remakes out there already... Probably would cut into the sales of an official remake... Too much market dilution...

Original game is far more marketable.
  • edited August 2012
    I would doubt they would give us alot of information before releasing it. But know this I will be preordering this so fast.
  • edited August 2012
    Takes From Kings Quest?

Nah, Tales From Monkey Island season 2 please. More fans, more opportunities.
  • edited September 2012
    I want to see a new story in the King's Quest universe. And a fresh sensibility, quite honestly -- I've played and enjoyed the old games, but I want to see some new ideas brought to bear.
  • edited September 2012
    I want to see a new story in the King's Quest universe. And a fresh sensibility, quite honestly -- I've played and enjoyed the old games, but I want to see some new ideas brought to bear.

Good post. I think it would also be great if the game was divided into nine chapters. Three in which you play Graham, three Alexander, and three Rosella. What do you guys think?
  • edited September 2012
    Three in which you play Graham, three Alexander, and three Rosella.

That's way too many characters to focus on in short chunks that Telltale offers, it would dillute the story too much. I'd prefer if it sticks to one or at the most two characters.

I'd be more affraid that it would end up turning KQ more int Sam & Max Season 1 where there are several separate stories, but a very weak overall connecting story.

Tales of Monkey Island's progression is closer to what I want to see... A good story, that grows as each chapter is released, and becomes more complicated. Not a bunch of more or less stand alone stories.

I'd personally prefer if they focus on a single character, for 'season 1', and if its successful, focus on a new character for 'season 2'.
  • edited September 2012
    I'd love if the game had two protagonists: Graham, first and primarily, and Rosella secondly. My two favorite KQ protagonists.

Or...Why not drift a little from the usual? How about a KQ game which has one of the Royal "In Laws" as a protagonist--For example Edgar or Cassima?
  • edited September 2012
    Though I'd love to see Edgar & Cassima get their chance to shine, I don't think that'd be a good idea for this game. For a series' return, using the most well-known protagonists of the old games is the best bet--and that's Graham (follow-ups being Alex & Rosella).. Edgar & Cassima could maybe work for a second new game, so long as they're introduced in the first new one.
  • edited September 2012
    It's not in Development Hell, it's just still really early in development, and Telltale is pretty bad with giving out information.

I wouldn't expect to hear anything about KQ until at least Fables finishes.
  • edited September 2012
    Heh. Yeah. Really early development. Yep. That's it.

Bt
  • edited September 2012
    To be honest, I'm not sure TTG should have even mentioned it as early as they did. If they're not going to talk about it or give updates or anything at all, they shouldn't have dangled it in front of us so soon.

Seriously. KQ doesn't require a reboot/sequel, and if TTG hadn't mentioned it, they would have been within their rights to back out. Now that everyone is talking about it, they would tick people off if they changed their minds.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm still under the assumption that it isn't in development at all. Telltale puts their stuff together pretty quickly once they get rolling and they typically start marketing it pretty early on too so I doubt there's anything going on with this at all yet, but I still wander by once a month or so to see if there's any news.

And my bet is that they would call it "Tales of Daventry."
Sign in to comment in this discussion.